DonorSearch Reviews & Product Details

DonorSearch Overview

What is DonorSearch?

DonorSearch was founded in 2007 with one goal: to provide more accurate, more comprehensive, more actionable data to help nonprofits of all types achieve better fundraising and outreach results. Headed by industry veterans, DonorSearch is a leading provider of prospect research to nonprofits of all types, including charities, healthcare organizations, fraternities/sororities, religious organizations, and educators. Using information from over 25 databases, DonorSearch uses proprietary algorithms to help clients find the best philanthropic prospects. Come see why over 3,100 nonprofit organizations trust DonorSearch today!

DonorSearch Details

DonorSearch is a donor prospect research, identification and fundraising software tool that utilizes online research, wealth screening and data analytics tools to nonprofits

More actionable and comprehensive data for both researchers and fundraisers.

DonorSearch
2007
Marriottsville, MD
@DonorSearch

DonorSearch Videos

DonorSearch Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the DonorSearch community
Have you used DonorSearch before?

DonorSearch Reviews

Showing 54 DonorSearch reviews
Already have DonorSearch?
What do you like best?

Ahmad Ibrahim helped introduce me to DonorSearch. Although I went with another service for my prospect research needs for pricing reasons, I wanted to make sure you know what an asset he is to your team. He was friendly, helpful, and communicative throughout the whole process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything in particular. DonorSearch seems like a great product for those who want very detailed data and who have larger budgets. I wouldn't recommend DonorSearch to smaller organizations with smaller budgets, only because of the pricing and data screening limits. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do you have a larger team of people dedicated to prospect research, who really have time to sort through all the great data they provide and use it well? Are you able to afford it? Then DonorSearch might be the best option for you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ahmad Ibrahim gave me all the information I needed to determine that it was not a good match for my prospect research needs, even despite the great customer service he provided. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

DonorSearch is surprisingly easy to use and thorough. I like that it invites feedback in terms of the user's confidence in individual data points. It's pricing, especially considering the comprehensive features and quality, makes it an easy, enthusiastic recommendation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish that is more easily interfaced with and connected to more apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My only familiarity with this donor research software is with Wealth Engine and DonorSearch. I found both of them incredibly useful. I like the adaptability of DonorSearch in terms of what parts of the data are useful for our purpose. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are amazed at the number of people who visit our organization who have considerably more capacity to give than we understood. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in DonorSearch
Prospect Development Associate
What do you like best?

My organization compared all major wealth intelligence/screening vendors and DonorSearch rose significantly above the rest for us. DonorSearch is straightforward and easy to use, from the process of initial uploading and screening of records to viewing those records, assessing/validating the results, and turning the assessments into actionable information. One of the specific features I greatly appreciate is the well-designed, accurate algorithms for matching charitable giving records to prospect names. When I assess the charitable giving results that were returned for someone, often times the confidence rating is accurate. DonorSearch is BY FAR the best in the space at the ability to modify your confidence level about individual pieces of data about the prospect while retaining the prospect's profile. In other words, you can take what DonorSearch found on that name and indicate how confident you are about various gifts, real estate, or other information without full-on deletion from the profile. If later you gain more information that helps you reject or confirm the information, you can update and don't have to re-run the profile. I also appreciate how DonorSearch has an appealing design and that the layouts are customizable for differing organizational needs, let alone different needs of individual team members within the organization. Finally, DonorSearch has strong datasets about business ownership. Given that some of the most generous prospects are business and small business owners, this is incredibly valuable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

DonorSearch has a very useful tool where you can view prospects visually on a map. This is very helpful for planning trips or filling out a call list once a gift officer obtains an anchor visit or two in a particular area. Unfortunately, there is not a way to use this feature, zoom in or out as desired, then export all prospects found within the map area. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Had the ability to end contract and switch. DonorSearch is easier to use, more intuitive, and has more capability than Research Point. Also believe is has more datasets. Better algorithms so I can spend less time assessing and more time confirming and taking action. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are discovering major gift prospects that we hadn't known about before. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

Great interface - intuitive to use; accurate results; link to real property is very helpful Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Needs a bit more clarity around scoring and what scores mean Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Screening our database for wealth indicators as part of our campaign prep. Results helped us identify new prospects, segment data and populate our campaign pyramid Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

DonorSearch is a fantastic resource for organizations looking to gain insight into their donor base, as well as learning how to leverage it to the maximum. I am very happy with the simplicity of use and depth of knowledge they have. Their representatives, such as Stuart Entwistle, are congenial, hard working, and very helpful. I highly recommend the use of this company! It is smooth to operate, and provides a plethora of information to boost customer relations and help the fundraiser dig deeply into the person's interests and giving history. Overall, this is one of the best research functions that I have utilized! My genuine thanks goes out to the DonorSearch team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much at all. While it takes a while to get used to the interface, as is the case with anything, DonorSearch has far-reaching capabilities that are very helpful. However, sometimes the very nitty-gritty stuff at the bottom page of the integrated search function for uses is not exactly accurate. But, I assume getting every detail about a person is not exactly a piece of cake. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly consider it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We recently had a virtual seminar that allowed us to talk through the peculiarities and distinctions of the website, which was very helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

My favorite thing about DonorSearch is the extensive charitable giving data. This would take me forever -- if not be impossible -- to find on my own. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to search by address if the address isn't tied to a gift. I also like to see past addresses, whether places were owned or rented, and dates of verification. However, I can find some of this in free online directories. That's an extra step, but worth the savings with DonorSearch. We previously used a competitor software which gave that information -- the primary difference between the two -- and the price difference just couldn't justify it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My advice is to give DonorSearch a shot. Try a demo and compare with demos from other companies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm finding additional "tips" about our prospects and donors so that I can conduct even more thorough research outside of DonorSearch. It's an excellent starting point! I've also found the client support is phenomenal. Any time I've had a question or requested training, I feel I've been treated specifically as a client rather than as just a number. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

DonorSearch gives us a wealth of information about our prospects and donors Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the info can be a little overwhelming. There is a lot to sift through and you do need to look with a watchful eye, as it isn't always 100% accurate (it's gleaned from public sources) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

DonorSearch allows us to find out a lot of information about our prospects and donors to help us segment them better. The integration with Virtuous is amazing - key points from DonorSearch show up right on our donor records in the CRM, which is very helpful! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are learning new things about our donors and prospects that will help us serve them better and segment them for more meaningful interactions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Development
What do you like best?

DonorSearch was easy to start up and integrate into our system. Prior to this we did not have a search capable section of our database that included this much information. Fit very nicely into our existing Salesforce. Customer service was excellent. Sarah and Ruth helped walk me through the integration of Salesforce in particular which made things very simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's a little difficult to narrow down info on people when searching for them if you don't have real estate/more specific on them (especially if they have a common name and are in a big city). But this has helped with entering work emails if you have access to them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I had a good experience with the customer sales team when looking for the right fit. They were helpful and having a team member sit it on the trial and run through helped as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

1) We did not have a way to measure capacity before DS. A lot of our information we had saved did not account for factors that included ways to measure for this. We were counting on using past donations. But this made life easier.

2) We have definitely seen benefits in the ability to tier our database. We incorporated the DS ratings into utilizing tiers.

3) We can share profiles with the whole team now and have everyone gauge clients/funders' level of potential before they speak with them.

4) W Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principle
What do you like best?

Excellent customer service, quality user friendly data and collaborative approach with consultants and my clients!! Love the fact that the organization is continuously improving the product!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Have not found anything to dislike! Not a thing! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend this great product! Donor Search is the science to fundraising, providing organizations with the tools to be more efficient in identifying and cultivating donors! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The partnership with Donor Search adds significant value to the clients I serve. My clients appreciate the collaborative approach. Donor Search has the expertise fully understanding the data, bringing credibility to the table while allowing me to provide strategic guidance on best way to utilize data. It's a perfect match! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Associate Director, Prospect Development
What do you like best?

DonorSearch's Integrated Search tool is very comprehensive for creating profiles from public information. It especially does a great job for confirming whether gifts belong to an individual or not. The content of the profiles can be highly customized for the specific story you want to communicate. The service also does a fantastic job of quickly screening batches of individuals and helping to prioritize those individuals for discovery work or other segmentation needs. Additionally, DonorSearch has monthly webinars and flash classes which help you use their subscription service and intelligence in just about every way necessary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The data in the portfolios are not automatically updated on a periodic basis. We are not able to customize the rating system so that political giving is not reflected. We have to provide our users guidance for this as it is not ethical for our organization to use political giving as part of the prospect identification process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should take advantage of their monthly webinars on a regular basis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mostly, we are using DonorSearch to gather intelligence on potential donors on a case by case basis, but also in batches at times, hence the batches for portfolios, which help identify prospects. It has identified many good prospects for our organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior RD Executive
Non-Profit Organization Management
What do you like best?

Donor Search tools are easy to access and there is a very short learning curve. Comprehensive data can be obtained in multiple formats to supplement your organization's data so it can be applied to every resource development question. Customer service and training is top notch: the response time is quick and DS staff are available to tailor training to the customer's needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have used Donor Search tools regularly for the past four years and there is absolutely nothing to dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

we have been able to prioritize outreach to existing donors with the significant giving potential and are applying the screening data to efforts to engage new prospects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Playwright
Performing Arts
What do you like best?

I had fabulous customer service experiences with Donor Search. Alexei , director of new sales and Ahmed, sales & relationship development manager were so fabulous to work with. No question was too small; they were polite but personable, friendly and professional. The sales and customer service reps that I worked with at other competitor companies were never as communicative, transparent, or quick to respond as Donor Search.

We are just starting to use this product, but so far I have loved how intuitive it is, and how extensive the findings - particularly a donor's philanthropic history! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If you're working with a big donor, the profile might be many many pages long. That's not a dislike so much as something to keep in mind; I know I'll need to curate the profiles a little more for certian people to keep the length managable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ask for a demo. I didn't really understand why everyone was so excited about the product until I saw it for myself - and it was helpful when comparing products to really have a fundamental knowledge of how the product works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Donor Search is providing us with a more holistic, comprehensive history of our donors, with an emphasis on providing insights to other charitable causes they support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's really simple to use and is absolutely packed with just what I need to do research for capital campaign donors so we can make sure we're asking for the right amount. Not sure how I've managed without access to this sort of research before! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

For smaller organizations it seems a bit expensive, but for major campaigns it is not. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Invest in it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The ability to identify appropriate gift amounts is key. This will help the campaign cabinet members make appropriate asks - it's hard enough getting people to ask for money but this information will help them be more confident. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

The quality and visible growth of the product and its capabilities. DS listens to client feedback and makes constant upgrades and data additions to the system. I regularly evaluate the competitors - Wealth Engine, iWave, WealthX, etc., and DonorSearch consistently comes out on top. They are the best at figuring likelihood for philanthropy and business, rather than basic estimated wealth based on real estate. Their RFM score is so helpful. I rely heavily on their database. Client services is also EXCELLENT - you always talk to/email with a real person, and receive responses right away. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's impossible to have ALL the data in there, but they really aim to update the database with new records on a constant basis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

DS is the only platform that uses wealth AND philanthropic and political contribution data to predict giving capacity and likelihood, and always provides a score for each. Do a demo and let the product speak for itself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

DonorSearch helps our organization uncover and qualify individual prospects for charitable contributions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

DS makes it easy by providing export templates for us so we know what information is going to yield the very best results. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We have to convert the import files from .txt to .cvs. but it only takes a few extra minutes and then the results are good to go and can be imported into our database (RE7). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using this information to for donor research. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

online platform where I can access anywhere Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

pulling queries is a pain and is not very intuitive Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

tracking donations, where we have lapsed donors Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Honestly, aside from the fact that the product looks great and works great, the staff is amazing. They are responsive, helpful, and are always asking how they can improve and make the experience better. It's the main reason I will always recommend DonorSearch. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are some elements that need to be scrutinized by our staff to make sure the information is valid, but that has been the same no matter what other wealth screening I've ever used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take full advantage of the customer service that is offered. They will call and check up on you, and taking the time to talk with them makes the experience so much better. Everyone I've ever worked with at DonorSearch is constantly trying to improve and make their customers feel valued. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have been using DonorSearch for 4 years and are at 75% of our capital campaign goal. The main use we have for it is just being better informed about individuals, foundations, and corporations before we meet with them to talk about giving to our organization. It is immensely helpful in not only seeing their likelihood of giving, but also where they are putting their support, which helps us find ties back to us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I have been using Donor Search since their initial call to me to ask if I was interested back in 2007. I made a point to get to know the founder and family and staff through conference attendance and their outstanding customer service. Everyone I work with guides with a knowledgeable hand and they know what my work entails as a researcher and what other fundraisers' work needs. Great customer service. Great product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Through the years, DonorSearch has made an effort to create a user-friendly interface. Prior confabs were difficult, but as technology allowed, DonorSearch has evolved to a very user-friendly interface for fundraisers and for the more rabbit-hole people - me, researchers. The tool is always getting better and it makes my research much easier to expand with profile info they provide. Good research is not a one-stop website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give DonorSearch a demo. The same service you get in the demo is the same service you get with a subscription. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have a small and dedicated staff with a full plate each day. Being able to run a wealth screening, see the data analysis and a full profile (updated as needed) is essential for our coming campaign. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Development Research
Philanthropy
What do you like best?

The customer service is phenomenal, they all know me on a first name basis which is much appreciated. DonorSearch takes the pain out of screening. Simple and easy to use UX as well as intuitive screening results to help you make intelligent decisions on who to cultivate.

I have personally used DonorSearch in the higher education and health care industries and the ease of use made my job much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My experience with DonorSearch and their team has been nothing but professional and exceeded all expectations. There are maybe a few tweaks that can be made to the overall product but honestly nothing I can think of right now. I know I have made recommendations directly to the team and one of them was even implemented soon after. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give Sarah Tedesco a call, she is a pleasure to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using DonorSearch to help determine the signal from the noise. Larger universities have just too many names in their database for the research team to efficiently data mine on their own. DonorSearch has saved us countless hours.

DonorSearch adds the first layer of research and helps us best focus on a much smaller and more manageable chunk of names. Our Prospect Research shop has definitely become more sophisticated with the help of DonorSearch. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Associate Director
What do you like best?

What I like best about DS is their new Marketing List and Prospect Generator functions! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much not to like with all the new features and capabilities of Donor Search Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Finding potential donors and the capabilities based on pasted giving and interests as well as geographic focuses! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Associate Regional Director, Major and Planned Gifts
Fund-Raising
What do you like best?

I've used DonorSearch for almost four years to help different organizations run successful capital campaigns. The ability to search and find information on individuals makes it easier to formulate an accurate ask of an individual. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there is not enough information gathered on an individual but that is not the fault of DonorSearch. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Run don't walk to DonorSearch. It is the tool you need in any fundraising department or role. It is absolutely necessary to do wealth screenings on your prospects and DonorSearch gives you that freedom without any limits. Not only can you run wealth scans on individuals - receiving feedback such as home value, business value, gift history to other organizations, etc. - but you can also search for individuals who give to similar causes in a specific area, which helps to identify potential new donors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Running capital campaigns requires deeper knowledge of an organizations donor base. I used DonorSearch for two primary things: (1) Run wealth scans on an organization's already existing donor base and (2) To search for like minded donors in an organizations area or specialty. DonorSearch provided me and the organizations I worked with raise over $20 million dollars in the last four years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal
Fund-Raising
What do you like best?

DonorSearch consistently provides our clients with the data they need to make choices about their donors and prospects. From deciding who to spend time cultivating and understanding what drives their prospect's philanthropy, DonorSearch makes the process much more efficient and effective. Also their customer service is phenomenal. Whether it's a long-term client who has a new staff person that needs DS training or a potential client that wants to know more, Andy is always there to provide a demo or answer questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Depending on the prospect/donor's name, we've found challenges finding the right person in the database (or finding the right gifts associated with that person). This is more a nature of the data than DS, so mostly an issue with wealth screening in general. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our consulting clients are mostly mid-sized nonprofits (budgets up to $10M) that often have not used wealth screens (or if they have they don't use them consistently). Together with Donor Search, we've shown them the ease of using the screening tools on a regular basis to make key decisions on staff resources and donor engagement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

As a consultant who always tells clients that their existing donors are their best prospects, DonorSearch is an invaluable partner in backing that claim up with data! They don't have to believe me. All they have to do is look at the easy-to-understand information DonorSearch provides and build strategies based on that. This data is an invaluable tool when working with staff and volunteers to determine who we should be talking to and what we should be asking them for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything. I was a longtime screening cynic becasue most screening companies want you to believe that their data is all you need. DonorSearch doesn't have that attitude. They think of their product as a tool to help you do your job better. I'm a convert because of them, so there is nothing I dislike about my experiences with them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The best way to maximize DonorSearch is to build strong relationships with the team. They are accessible, knowledgeable, and always happy to get you what you need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use DonorSearch data to help raise clients' sights about what their supporters could be giving. The philanthropic information helps them realize that their supporters have other priorities and may be giving to those at higher levels. The suggested gift amounts help create comfort among volunteers who may be hesitant to solicit major gifts. Every time, this data confirms the strategies we are suggesting and does so in an objective way. It's hard to argue with the numbers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

The information provided is excellent and very helpful to our development team. The batch screening analysis and overviews provided are great tools for prospecting and strategizing when used properly. The customer support is also among the best I ever experienced. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the information provided will be marked as non-matches due to not being in the same state or area as the donors state. While this requires some extra user verification, this is common in all wealth screening platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend contacting them and requesting a demo or trial so that you can experience both the product and service for yourself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using DonorSearch to identify new major gift prospects within our constituent base as well as screening current major donors to see if there is more giving capacity with those already engaged at that level. In doing this, we have seen a 20% YOY growth in major individual giving. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Their unlimited screenings option is perfect when you have a hospital system and need to implement frequent grateful patient screenings. They also offer subaccounts, which means our Advancement Strategy team can own the master account, which does screenings, but also offer subaccounts to our campus partners to enable them to do a lot of their own research (especially for initial qualifications) using an intuitive, comprehensive tool. We've tested DonorSearch's algorithms for calculating wealth capacities and finding the most assets automatically (including some trusts and LLCs that may own assets associated with prospects) to be the most accurate and comprehensive of automated vendors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Right now they have two profile options: legacy view and advanced view. The advanced view is tailored for organizations who import most of their data into DonorSearch; they don't add value and are confusing when your organization does not load most of it's data into DonorSearch and uses it's own CRM. I'd guess that they're moving in the direction of wanting to serve as a CRM, which would probably be very helpful for smaller orgs, but for a system like ours it doesn't make sense. As long as we've got legacy view, which focuses far less on any imported data through the screening process and more on what DonorSearch could find, it will serve our needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

DonorSearch has an excellent algorithm for calculated estimated wealth capacity and for gathering data on outside giving, philanthropic involvement, and assets in the public record. They also provide excellent screening services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.