DigitalOcean Reviews & Product Details

What is DigitalOcean?

DigitalOcean provides the best tools to control your virtual server in the cloud. Learn how we deliver the most intuitive interface and features so you can start building your web infrastructure today.

DigitalOcean Screenshots

DigitalOcean Reviews

1-50 of 185 total DigitalOcean reviews
Gerente
Internet

"A fantastic hosting service"

What do you like best?

The interface is very simple and intuitive, it has many tools to facilitate the creation of a good structure for the applications that we have developed. It has a large amount of documentation to facilitate the configuration of servers as well as a large community that helps solve more specific problems, technical support based on my experience has been excellent. In all the time we have used DigitalOcean we have never had a server down

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything that disgusts me, perhaps what I like the least is the cost of disk storage

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Digital ocean is focused for a technical and development environment since the server must be configured based on the requirements that are needed, the server is literally blank when one acquires it, the server is only with the selected operating system installed

Through the tools that DigitalOcean has, we have implemented web sites, web platforms, web servers connected with applications for smartphones, bulk mailing applications

"best cloud deployment"

What do you like best?

digitalocean user interface is very easy to understand and looks very corporative style. and another great feature is digitalocean console where we are issue the commands

What do you dislike?

there is no scroll for console that is not good

Recommendations to others considering the product:

extend the product

deployment is easy now with digitalocean and also easily we can launch the new machine

Full Stack Web Developer

"Great Cloud Hosting option for small - medium size business"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of deployment as many servers as I might need for my projects. I Also like the clear billing and pricing features.

What do you dislike?

I don't like to be a server administrator and wish there was much easier way to deploy common applications like PHP, Node.js, Go and more. Currently I have to read hundreds of pages to deploy even a simple PHP app on DO server.

I am hosting dozens of websites on DigitalOcean, I really like the experience of deploying the servers and knowing how much it will cost me.

I.T. Director

"Best Of The Best"

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean reels you in with their affordable and simple pricing structure. Digital Ocean keeps you with high performing virtual machines, excellent provisioning tools, tons of informative articles, virtually no downtime, and great support.

What do you dislike?

My one and only unfilled need from Digital Ocean is I do wish they had a few windows server options.

Linux virtual machines for website hosting. Provides a high performing solution at a very reasonable cost.

Boss
(Myself Only)

"DigitalOcean - Review "

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean is a supplier that has an excellent price/quality ratio. DigitalOcean provides such services as web hosting or VPS, which I use every day.

One of the main advantages of DO services is high uptime, which makes the services work practically 24/7 without any problems. DigitalOcean gives you the ability to configure services according to your needs, so you can change the parameters of our servers. It is worth mentioning that data center, DigitalOcean are located all over the world, so that we can choose the right locations for our services. Management of the servers and the interface is straightforward, so new users without any experience with the Management server will be able to cope with it. Digital Ocean also has excellent support and a blog where you will find many tutorials that make it easier for us to use our servers.

What do you dislike?

One of the drawbacks of DO is the limited number of available systems compared to other hosts available on the market and for some problems may be the lack of CPanel, which we have to install ourselves.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for hosting that allows you to test applications before deploying them on a production server, you should consider trying it now, especially since you can get $100 to test their services!

Thanks to DO services, I can test the services before they are implemented and I can store backups of files that are important to me on the VPS server.

"It's more complicated than it should be, but the product is useful"

What do you like best?

So, this is my take on Digital Ocean: it's more complicated than it should be, but the product is useful. I inherited the system from my boss who left the company and I know that so many of our servers and services and softwares and programs are hosted by Digital Ocean. So, I know it does so much good for us and our company. Super useful for holding servers to host RStudio, APIs, shinyapps, GitHub and GitLab accounts, and much more.

What do you dislike?

It is SO complicated and it uses so much confusing jargon. And the informational documentation is not up to par as much as it should be. What's a kernel, for example? Since it's a new-tech term, I have to google it and search in more places than I would appreciate just to be able to use basic Digital Ocean functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Learn from someone at your company who already knows how to use it.

Hosting servers is the big one. It lets us consolidate so so much.

Software Team Lead

"The easiest IaaS provider"

What do you like best?

DIgital Ocean is an absolute cake-walk to get up-and-running on. You simply log in, complete a few very simple steps and minutes later you have a server you can ssh into with your own key preloaded. Not to mention the additions of a managed database service, spaces and kubernetes to round out their product offering without making the interface or API any more difficult to use.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of a single thing I dislike about digital ocean. The only thing it's missing for me right now is its own managed serverless platform.

Easy to understand pricing and the one-touch applications make starting a new project a breeze.

(10,001+ employees)

"Fast for work"

What do you like best?

The ability to ssh into the system from my terminal

What do you dislike?

It can get very slow if you use the web interface

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend it if you need to get a lot of work done or keep something running for a long time

The need for a powerful computer when doing offsite work

Influencer Manager

"Low-priced products and high-performance virtual machines"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean is a excellent cloud hosting solution that is designed to simplify web infrastructure for developers. The company has such fantastic offers, so due to great hardware features and amazing prices, they meet the needs of my website. The VPS is straightforward to configure and manage. Technical support deserves praise, as it's helpful and responds quickly. The servers come with high-performance SSD hard drive, which makes my cloud work at high speeds.

What do you dislike?

The platform isn't intended for beginners. However, you could find many tutorials on DigitalOcen's site, which show how to run and customize the cloud.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend the hosting solution to small and medium sites, which need low-priced products and high-performance virtual machines.

DigitalOcean enables me to run my website and store some of the company's sensitive files. Having a custom server solves my security issues, as the hosting is well-protected, so it makes me sure my data won't be stolen.

IT Specialist
Retail

"A quality server"

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean, is a service of servers of the best quality, that could be found in the market, has servers in different locations protected with security against DDOS attacks, the service is supremely stable, the servers are always online, have no falls, no failures, of any kind, the support is great, always respond on time.

What do you dislike?

The authentication factor can sometimes be annoying, it is necessary, but you should try to implement an additional security measure, which does not involve the use of this method, since sometimes it can be somewhat slow, and cause some discomfort, but hey, It's something that many companies use, so it's not much to bother with.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Develop new applications and products based on the cloud, which can simplify and replace the use of common software, by having a server service so recognized and of such good quality, anyone would be encouraged to buy other products, as do other companies similar cloud servers.

The creation of a database on a hosting platform, of all kinds of high capacity files, our company, has hundreds of GB in the documentation and market files, which are updated daily, which in physical servers, would be very uncomfortable, for all who need it, as responsible for the information and technology, this helps me to solve all kinds of data hosting, in the cloud everything is easier, faster and safer, it is a backup that you know that you have there, to use at any time.

CTO

"Easy to use, fully customizable"

What do you like best?

That you have direct access to the infrastructure, and that the servers are fast, affordable, and easy to spin up and bring down.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were more one click preconfigured options.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check out docker, if you set your stuff up on docker digital ocean is a dream.

We don't use digital ocean for our application but we do use digital ocean for our company website.

"Extremely Fast"

What do you like best?

Digital ocean, without doubt, is one of the fastest cloud services I have used and nowadays I moved all my projects including web apps, web hostings and other projects to the digital ocean by this. Digital ocean probably isn't the cheapest servers, but they are of the highest quality, since I moved my hosting to the digital ocean, the load time increased drastically, and there is a sudden spike in the Google web speed checker, you won't even feel there is a loading process now. the pricing is amazing, everyone has a choice here and you can create your own servers called droplets with the specifications you need which suits your needs and budget. servers can be accessed easily too. the project management is also great, you can add servers and work to different projects, change the server requirements and tweak it easily to best suit your needs. user interface is beautiful.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a fan of the digital ocean support, and usually, they take hours and sometimes even days to get s reply to the queries whereas other services offer instant chat support when you're in need.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Digital Ocean is undoubtly one of the best cloud computing service out there but their support isn't up to the mark.

Digital Ocean is a cloud computing service which offers many solutions to your web needs including hosting and web development.

Production Intern

"Robust, Fast, and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I'm a relatively new Digital Ocean user. I've played with "two-click" providers in the past, and ultimately decided to switch to Digital Ocean because of the best cross-section of overall specs, price, platform, and user reviews. I was not disappointed. Digital ocean lives up to my expectation and more. Navigation in the dashboard is relatively a breeze, getting up and running is a short process when launching a new product, and they offer tons of options to make your workflow easier.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were just a few more products offered, and I wish it was a bit simpler for an entry level user like me. But with time it's not that bad.

Web Hosting and product storage.

C

"Excellent Hosting Platform For Experienced Unix Folks"

What do you like best?

The platform offers a good selection of O.S. variants, uptime has been great, and there are excellent tutorials on setting up the environment for numerous tasks. Particularly happy with the addition of FreeBSD, and now kubernetes.

What do you dislike?

The pricing model is sometimes a bit hard to predict how much one will be charged.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look over the tutorials carefully before deploying.

The main business problem I use Digital Ocean for is reasonable cost hosting services for websites and web applications. I have also used Digital Ocean for development and testing.

President

"Great Cloud Platform"

What do you like best?

Allows quick and easy management of virtual machines such as FreePBX.

What do you dislike?

The interface is hard to manage on a smartphone.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Smartphone management app

Virtualizing client machines.

Web Developer

"Amazing Experience for New Developers"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of spinning up a server on DigitalOcean is amazing. In under a couple minutes, I can SSH into a server that I have full control over. There are also awesome ways to perform backups and other redundancy features, and they provide tools (and are constantly developing new tools each year) to make development fast. My favorite tool is cloud firewalls because those save me a lot of time when spinning up new systems.

What do you dislike?

There are some key features that are currently not supported, such as having a managed PostgreSQL server. However, some of these are coming soon to the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of the tutorials that DigitalOcean provides. They are amazing and helpful, and they also give you additional tips and resources to help you learn.

I created a full-stack custom web server for my investment startup, and using DigitalOcean allowed us to spin up a fully custom system with little-to-no-effort on the server management side. In addition, the DigitalOcean tutorials allowed us to push products faster than I ever could have on other platforms like AWS.

"Great product"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of hosting as digitalocean makes it easy, safe, and while looking nice and having VERY affordable prices.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the amount of different tabs available as things can get messy fairly quick but as long as you know the website structure you’re fine.

We are realizing that digitalocean is by far much easier to use than godaddy and any other hosting website.

AC

"Best bang for your buck in VPS solutions"

What do you like best?

Coming from a Windows Server environment and wanting to try an inexpensive Linux VPS instead, I found the documentation to be extremely helpful. Coupled with a little bit of Linux command line research and DO documentation, I got myself up and running on a very secure server in no time.

What do you dislike?

Some other reviews relating to "deleted block storage" volumes or other products has me a little worried (these reviews relate to lack of payment/updating expired payment methods). But I have two payment methods in place so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would recommend thoroughly reading all reviews to determine if DO is a good fit for you; but so far I haven't experienced any real issues of my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your own research. The positive reviews are great, and most are very similar, but I would recommend looking at the negative reviews as well - chances are those reviews will provide a little insight into possible problems (that may have been addressed since) that you can avoid or keep in mind when using their products. But again, I can't say that I have experienced any problems with Digital Ocean; to me, they have great products, and great documentation to help you get up and running in about 15 minutes.

I have a shared hosting plan with GoDaddy and tried their VPS as well. I found it more advantageous and less expensive to use Digital Ocean for my VPS and keep any small websites on my GoDaddy shared hosting, thereby making the best use of both web hosts. Any larger web applications are now hosted on my Digital Ocean account where I can also easily set up background jobs to reduce the amount of work I have to do from administrative functions (eg. invoicing) to automatic database backups etc.

Software & Network Systems Engineer

"Cloud made simple"

What do you like best?

The easy to run a machine. In other clouds, it's far more complicated to start running. And it has all the features we need, like snapshots in time (very handy, because our machine got hacked a lot of times, so we simply started again from the snapshot). The zone availability is also great, so if you need simple projects hosted on the cloud then DigitalOcean is your friend, I wouldn't recommend it more!

What do you dislike?

Maybe the lack of other possibilities, but they are still working on it for some years. Let's see what we'll be seeing next.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you don't want to complicate your life - use DigitalOcean!

We deployed a great number of servers using DigitalOcean. The price is a bit lower than the big ones, so that's a plus. The servers were everyone different, for different purposes, so every machine had different attributes. And sometime when they were not being used, we simply would remove them. Half of the servers were for webpages and another half for backend services.

AT

"Easy to use, well documented and reliable"

What do you like best?

Servers at Digital Oceans are reliable, easy to use and well documented

What do you dislike?

Expanding storage size is not very easy and straightforward

Creating cloud platforms and services

COO

"Improving company with some way to go"

What do you like best?

I like their easy to use control panel and transparent simple costs. Their new services are also great as they keep bringin out great tools that any sysadmin would be happy to have. Their one click installs to spin up severs with pre installs of variuos tools its great for people not so used to severs.

What do you dislike?

When I first started to use then in 2014 there customer service was the best. But as the compant grew that disapeared and the helpful guy on the end of the ticket service stopped being so helpful but just sending guides on how to do things. Not good if you are new to the servers. But I do understand this. I dont like however that you can only contact them via a ticket. Other services have phone customer service and thing Digital Ocean miss this

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The price and simple to use UI is great and makes it the best place for companies with less sever exsperiance to start. They have great documentation and they are adding new services all the time to allow you to create really cool infastructures.

I need a way of spining up customer severs fast and have a repliable but cost efficeint service. Digital ocean was a good soloution for this. They have alot of useful guides to help people new to severs and they have a lot one click soloutions that make life easier.

AI

"Best budget hosting option bar none, if you know how to manage your own server"

What do you like best?

Price to specs/performance can't be beat. Lots of options: VPS, containers, block or object storage, firewall, load balancer, internal networking, etc. Lots of products supporting APIs.

What do you dislike?

I know my way around Linux, but newcomers might be daunted. Add on a cloud control panel like ServerPilot if you need automatic configurations and security updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Either learn Linux (and Docker if using containers) and stay on top of security updates (it's unmanaged) or go with a cloud hosting control panel like ServerPilot.

Top performance for multiple clients and startups with limited budgets.

Software configuration engineer
(10,001+ employees)

"DigitalOcean is perfect for development environments in 1 clicks (almost)"

What do you like best?

The GUI is very intuitive and minimalist, the options are just the minimal (and enough) you will need to deploy a server (or service), the OS's variety is good and cost is the best choice.

What do you dislike?

The monitoring system can be improved and one option to upload your own cloud images could be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If the variety of operating systems is good for you, is complicated to find a better option with this easy to use interface and cost.

I'm using DigitalOcean for personal projects and provide training since one year and a half, the cost for the service is great and the VM is available in less than a minute (most of the cases)

"Horrible service and absolute ignorance to loyal customers!!!"

What do you like best?

Used to like reliability. They have moderate prices and good functionality.

What do you dislike?

Ok, so I’ve been using DigitalOcean since 2013 and everything was just fine. An on May 31 2018 something really worrying happened, all my files got deleted and I received this email:

“We sincerely apologize, however, there was an incident impacting the Spaces service that resulted in a number of Spaces and the data within them to be deleted. At this time we're performing a full internal investigation to determine what the cause of the issue was as well as why it happened. Once we have a full understanding and additional details to share, we'll follow up.

At this time, unfortunately, we can confirm that the data within your Spaces has been lost and is not recoverable. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.”

They never informed me further and none of my files were restore. No compensation except for $400 on my account, saying:

“You have been granted credit to use on your DigitalOcean team for $400.00. We’ve updated your balance, which you can view at your team's billing page. Please note that this credit will expire after 12 months if it's not used.”

I took severe loses… Now I am in the process of transferring to another service.

Well, decide for yourself whether use their services, but I am really devastated by both my losses and their absolute ignorance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not use this service if you value your own business.

Hosting of entire company's infrastructure. Good functionality and performance.

Library Assistant-Information Technology
Higher Education

"Awesome, used for a project"

What do you like best?

This was very intuitive, easy to use software that I chose to use fora project using a vpn. I like that they provide a free trial and $50 in free credits to try their product.

What do you dislike?

No major complaints, but the only trouble I ran into was compatibility issues trying to use it on an older OS. But worked wonderfully on windows 10

This helps in creating more storage allowing for more data storage in the systems

Java Developer
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Very bad expirience"

What do you like best?

Web front-end and documentation is awesome.

What do you dislike?

They restrict outgoing SMTP even for G-suite accounts. Support answering that this cannot be workarounded and you must wait for 60 days.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just don't. Because it's hard to do business without email and good support.

E-Commerce web-application.

"Blazing Fast Severs"

What do you like best?

the best thing about Digital ocean is the speed of the servers and its the one quality that impressed me the most about them.all of the servers got SSD in them so that your website will load in a blink of a second. i used to host my website in shared hostings and the speed increased exponentially since moving to cloud hostings. the pricing is also cheap, you can get web hosting services starting at just $5 per month which is pretty impressive compared to the quality of service offered. the customer service is another perk about the digital ocean, I had no knowledge on cloud hosting before when moving to the digital ocean and ran into many errors, the customer service was always there for me and replied almost instantly to the queries. the setup is pretty easy, the digital ocean dashboard is really simple and quite easily move around the website. the server setup is very straightforward and you can deploy servers which is called droplets with only few clicks. the servers can be made to run on a variety of scripts and popular operating systems as per ones need.

What do you dislike?

the payment gateway can be troublesome and i frequently got my card denied for so reason at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

this is one of the best cloud hosting providers in the market, go with them.

Hosting websites in cloud servers. the service is great and the servers are incredibly fast. my website started to load much faster.

Head of I.T. and Online Marketing
Investment Management

"The better value for now of Linode and DO"

What do you like best?

Great value for money plans, stable, feature rich control panel & always improving

What do you dislike?

To be fair, it's pretty good all round. I can more or less setup servers and then neglect them with no issues.

Great value for money VPS for my hosting requirements. Plus easy to resize need be.

"Awesome Customer support"

What do you like best?

the best thing and the one thing stands out from similar services out there is the customer support offered by the digital ocean. I had many troubles with WordPress and accessing the servers from the first day. the customer service was always there for me and fixed the issue each time within minutes. absolutely delighted. they also offer a free trial that gave me $50 in free credits to test their services and it lasted good 6-8 months and i have to say i'm more than impressed. the servers are fast and my website started to load with a blink of an eye. even after the trial, its really affordable and they got a plan for everybody irrespective of your budget;. all their servers are equipped with SSD's so that your servers will be blazing fast and website respond as well as loading time will be really cut down short. they also offer a wide range of operating systems and scripts for you to choose for installing on the servers. the setup of servers is also pretty quick you just need a few clicks and done. its also pretty easy to manage or destroy a server you've created. the interface sin't really complicated and most users won't have a trouble moving through the website.

What do you dislike?

they dont offer windows servers and I really find this as a downside of the host. i also had a few troubles with the SSH access.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

the servers are great as well as the customer support and i highly recommend yo ut ogo with digital ocean even thou you can find cheaper services in the web.

Hosting my websites on the cloud as well as running applications on cloud servers.

Mac Software Developer

"Love it"

What do you like best?

Ability to deploy, upgrade or downgrade server specs as needed at any point + flexible pricing. For example, at some point a certain project would not compile due to low end server specs. I was able to easily upgrade the server, compile the project and downgrade the server back. If I need to test some software I can deploy a new server with one-click configuration in a few minutes, test the software and discard the server.

Another great thing is community guides. Plenty of useful information to help deploy and configure various software and environments. DigitalOcean dashboard is nice and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I had at some point is outgoing email delivery due to blacklisted IP address. Some email providers had to blacklist a whole range of IPs belonging to Digital Ocean. This might be a result of how easy it is to deploy a server and abuse it for unsolicited email delivery. To be fair it’s something that any cloud provider might experience and DO support was quite helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Find a referral link to get free credit to try the service

I’m running web sites for my own software products. Nothing big, so a cheap low end server spec is enough for me. I’ve been using DigitalOcean for a few years now and I'm happy with it.

"Fast Severs,Awesome Support"

What do you like best?

I moved to the digital ocean to host my website in the cloud as it could help my on-page SEO by reducing the website loading speed. I was really impressed by the Service provided by them, the servers are fast and really easy to configure. within a few clicks, you can easily create a server with WordPress preinstalled on them. they also gave me a free trial worth $20 which helped me to test the server for a period of around 4 months. another great thing is the pricing, its real customer friendly and can be afforded by everyone. I have to mention the support here, they are really great. I didn't know much about hosting in the cloud and ran into many issues with my WordPress setup. every time the digital ocean support was there to help me out. the website comes with a beautiful user-friendly interface, I had no trouble navigating through the site. the uptime provided is really impressive, in the whole time I was with the digital ocean only once my website went down that too the mistake was on my side. their servers run on SSD, so don't have to say how fast they are. my website started loading in a blink of an eye and surely helped mine on page SEO.

What do you dislike?

this is not the cheapest service for cloud hosting in the market, there are several companies that offer similar server specifications for a cheaper price. once they put my account under verification for no reason at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

the servers are blazing fast. i do recommend you to try them.

Hosting my WordPress blog on cloud