Device Magic Reviews & Product Details

Purchasing Manager TPX
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

Data capture on the go makes it super easy for the team to gather information and analyze a month's operation in just a couple minutes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish the standard plan had some communication options to SQL databases & the analytics tool feels uncompleted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it, you won't regret it. The forms are super easy to set up and flexible. You can literally do anything with this app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using it to apply internal audits, study procedure deviations and make summaries of routinary observations. We are also doing per-employee performance evaluations which help the team be more integrated and the workers have achieved higher levels of self-awareness. This has led us to a better work environment, safety and quality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Miranda Cheatham of Device Magic

Edgar,

Thank you for sharing such a glowing review of the Device Magic platform! We’re ecstatic to hear how mobile forms are benefiting your team from routine observations to performance evaluations. It sounds like you’ve also had the opportunity to use the analytics tool, our newest feature. Let us know if there is anything specific you might like to see from analytics in the future so that we may work them into our product roadmap. We sincerely appreciate your partnership and look forward to growing with you!

Miranda Cheatham, Associate Marketing Program Manager

Device Magic Overview

What is Device Magic?

Device Magic is a mobile forms software and data collection app that replaces your paper forms with customizable mobile forms. Deliver accurate data from the field to the office in real-time. Build your forms using our simple drag-and-drop online form builder. Collect data without an Internet connection using your own mobile devices. Deliver data in whatever format you choose - email, text, custom PDF, and more. Build a data collection solution and automate your business data workflows. Integrate with the business tools you're already using, like Box, Slack, Evernote, SQL, Zapier, and more.

Device Magic Details

Device Magic is a mobile forms software that makes it easy to replace paperwork with mobile forms.

Device Magic is a very simple to use mobile data collection software platform. From the drag-and-drop form builder, to the simplified vertical UI of the Forms app, Device Magic is completely designed with the end-user in mind. Device Magic is a no-code platform and can be set up by anyone in your organization.

Device Magic's mobile forms also boast a variety of technical features. Forms can be completed on mobile devices anywhere, even without internet connection. Form fields can perform conditional logic and calculate answers based on previous questions. Data from forms can be sent in a variety of formats including text, email, SMS, and PDF, and can be sent to a variety of storage locations and collaborative destinations.

Device Magic software integrates with more business apps than many other solutions, and is also the most positively-reviewed mobile data collection app in the Apple App Store.

Device Magic
2010
Raleigh, NC
@DeviceMagic
890 Twitter followers

Device Magic Screenshots

Device Magic Reviews

Showing 34 Device Magic reviews
Already have Device Magic?
AO
What do you like best?

I love the one on one attention our company gets and the direct contact we have with DM! I love that when I have a question I can chat with someone right away or I can email my company success rep and they get back to me right away. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I feel that the analytics portion of the portal could be improved significantly. There is also an option for automatic reports to be sent on a weekly or daily bases dependent on the information that is requested. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't wait! It has been very beneficial to our company and we are using it in ways we didn't think were possible! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are eliminating tons of paper! We are also able to see more information quicker! We primarily use DM for safety observations and audits and we are seeing a huge up-tick in submissions simply because our employees do not have to keep track of the paper and remember to turn it in. Our management is also seeing these observations and audits quicker so they can address concerns right away and not several days after the fact. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

The product does what it advertises it should do. Drag and drop to setup forms makes it easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The pricing of this product has become unpredictable. Prices keep rising and when my last payment was taken, it had jumped from $40.80 a month to $81 with no new users. Calls for an explanation took about 3 weeks and I was told of emails advising me of price upgrades. This was true but I was also told I was on a "special" price plan because I had been a customer for so long. To then double the price, was crazy. For the amount we used this product (maybe 80 forms a month), there is no way I can justify $1000 a year in costs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A quick way to remove paper from the cycle but watch the pricing! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Removed use of paper and ability to update forms that are synced across multiple devices without user intervention. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

Building mobile forms is pretty simple and straightforward. The form UI for mobile users is clean and simple, very easy for inexperienced users to navigate. I like that you can force an answer so that users cannot skip over key questions. We use multiple subcontractors and it is easy to dispatch forms out to all of the subcontractors in one quick process. We can customize our forms on the fly without disrupting the workflow of the guys in the field. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The subscription model of charging per device vs per user can get to be expensive and is an additional management requirement. If you don't carefully manage this, it gets expensive quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Device Magic gives you the ability to create new forms fast and get them dispatched to your end users. You can customize the form output into your own report templates and distribute the information quickly. Easy to use and easy to deploy! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use subcontractors across the US to do site inspections and perform hardware installations. We don't have a large field staff so the only way we can get the surveys done quickly and verify the installations are complete is by have a mobile app based form that is completed by the contractor's field tech. Techs submit the forms while they are still onsite which gives us realtime view of the work that was completed. Huge time and expense reduction for us! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Administrativo
What do you like best?

It is very easy to use even for people without experience with this technology, it is very practical and has several functions that are very useful for the company, it facilitates the creation of forms and adapting the existing forms for new uses that are sent both to our customers or partners of our company, this saves us a lot of time in our daily activities and has a nice design and I sincerely believe that anyone can use this efficient program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It has not happened to me very often but sometimes the program freezes and closes the windows and I lose and lose forms that I had created and I have to repeat the process again it does not happen very often but when it happens it is stressful Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend this excellent program that is very useful because we now have a lot of time and money to our business with impeccable customer service and at a low cost it offers its services Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The forms that we have created are of great importance since we save a lot of time and money, we have better organized with better performance that facilitates many things in our company that is responsible for providing advisory services for strategic projects and management software Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AT
What do you like best?

We always use Device Magic when we have a data collection exercise in the field because it simplifies all the work from creating forms up to delivery of collected data. Good enough we can send newly created forms to field workers wherever they are, they can collect and submit data including location, pictures and signatures without the need for internet connection or mobile network, and submitted data sorts itself in the system to where is it needed. As an administrator I control who should see which forms so that everyone gets what they need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Mobile forms does not allow scan text and convert option of transferring hard copy forms to mobile forms which would be a great feature too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Device Magic will simplify everything from creating mobile forms, dispatching them, filling them up and submission which reduces project handling costs and increase productivity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy creation, dispatch and submission of the mobile forms helps us to collect more data is a short period of time of which with its intelligent submission protocol, we even take very little time to analyze the data thereby increasing our productivity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Environmental Specialist
Oil & Energy
What do you like best?

Easy to use web interface. Great for first time user and power users alike. I was able to pick up on the web interface and make forms within the first day. Granted, i have a bit of coding background. But i feel as though an entry level technician could have had the same experience as me. I love the chat feature on your webstie for support. No one likes to sit on hold on a telephone and the chat feature works great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The form NEEDS an excel export function. Your biggest competitor, Fulcrum, has this feature. I need to be able to format and create custom formulas that cannot be calcualted within your interface. I would rerate my likelyness to reccommend Device Magic to a friend or colleague to a 10 with the implementation of this request. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommend this software package. It makes getting data from the field to the office very seamless. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ability to get data to the office quicker. We collect data and have the forms submit straight into Microsoft One Drive. This allows our Project Managers to grab the data quickly in order to provide our clients with timely data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Space Planning Assistant - Estates Administration
What do you like best?

This app is simple to use and has lots of features that make it easy to tailor to our needs; we are constantly adjusting surveys which is easy to do and quick. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

i would like to be able to change (or have control over) more of the formatting; we have quite long surveys and it think it would be useful if the questions that had been answered could change colour, or if lists of options could be laid out in specific ways (or just all the same regardless of the number of options) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you aren't concerned about having a flashy product, Device Magic is great; it does everything we need at the moment . At the moment we aren't using the Enterprise level product which I'm sure would have lots of features that we could readily, but for now we are happy with the product as is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are no longer wrangling with Microsoft Excel on iPads which was a bit of a nightmare; we have better control over our surveys and are more agile when we need to make adjustments to them. This has saved us time and energy in grappling with a system that didn't work, and we're happy with the switch we made. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing & Proposals Administrator
What do you like best?

Breadth of options and filtering so I can create automations to make my team's lives easier. Being able to control the back end so much is amazing! If one user only has to provide 5 pieces of info, it's great that we can control hiding 30 other questions that COULD be available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would love some of the limitations updated, but the Device Magic team is constantly working on improvements so no real "dislikes". I would also love to see an interface settings option sometime, example: users being able to change whether they see a clock face or dial on Time questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it, don't think about it, just do it. If you have anyone staffed with moderate to expert Excel formula skills then they'll catch on very quickly. The amount of reporting, database creation, ease of use, and professionalism expressed makes this a no-brainer software for any company. The instant a report is complete it goes to the necessary recipients. In an electronic age, paperless is VERY marketable. One report can be multi-purpose as a CRM, report, resource for another report, and can be split so individuals receive only the pieces they need. The Device Magic support staff is also incredible, every time I've put in a question I get a response within the hour or, if I submit late, first thing in the morning; they help with form creation, troubleshooting, ideas to optimize your forms, and they're friendly to boot. Incredible program for any business! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Paperless reporting. We are finding the speed at which admins receive reports greatly increases efficiency. The crew loves the speed of a table keyboard versus writing, and not dealing with penmanship (or lack there of) is a great perk. Have clients instantly receive these reports impresses them. I will be building informational sales sheets for my own use soon also. I love that I can build customized sheets ONE time and have clients think it's hand crafted for them every time (which it would have been), and it will double as a CRM databank so contact info is conveniently stored with notes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Vice President of Technology
What do you like best?

The UI for creating the custom forms is top notch. You never feel you NEED programming skills, yet if you want to get more advanced there are options for that too. The field app is rock solid. In rare cases when you need tech support they are very responsive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We're missing the ability to upload multiple photos in a single step, but are told it's on the road map. We work around this by uploading photos in bulk using the Google Drive app. However, if you only need a few photos uploaded it works well, and the compression of the photos is a perfect balance of size versus resolution. The UI for dispatching jobs is functional but looks awful and is difficult to use, starkly contrasted to the UI for form building. I'm told improving this is also on the roadmap and I trust them to follow through. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try. If you don't see a feature, don't be afraid to ask for it from the developers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We need to collect data and photos in the field for every job and this works great for that. We also wanted to create our own custom field data collection app and this saved us lots of development money to accomplish that goal. Our field people refer to device magic as "the app." Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Miranda Cheatham of Device Magic

Phil,

We appreciate you taking a moment to share your thorough and thoughtful review of the Device Magic platform. When we set out to build the product we envisioned the exact experience you've stated from a user interface perspective so this is wonderful news, especially for our developers! Thank you, also, for your specific, invaluable feedback about the Mobile Forms app. Our developers follow the lead of your needs and allow these to pave the roadmap for future features.

We're thrilled to hear you've been able to customize the app to fit your exact needs. Thanks again for allowing us to be "the app" for your team!

Miranda Cheatham, Associate Marketing Program Manger

Innovation & Advancement Developer
What do you like best?

The API functionality, easy integrations, numerous submission options, backup data storage, offline field use. We use the whole gamut of features that are provided and appreciate them greatly! The dispatch functionality is also particularly useful and we have integrated it with great success into other systems and software we use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Its a tad pricey - better volume discounting would be greatly appreciated. The browser/desktop forms are buggy and neglected, and require major improvements to be useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Efficiency in data entry is massive - allowing us to only ever have to enter data once. We also use if to calculate required information and spit out useful reports and appendices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

MR
What do you like best?

Offline access is an essential feature. The developers constantly upgrade and add new features. Integration is key and Device Magic delivers. Connectors and destinations make it a winning app. Desktop configuration is a welcome addition Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Although Device Magic is a very reasonably priced solution, monthly commitments are high due to the number of devices we have active. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Large screen smartphone is preferable. Seems to use a lot of battery life, especially when uploading photo's Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

You name it, we are using it. Device Magic has made a significant impact on just about every business process we use. In fact - we are developing processes around Device Magic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

Advantages to using this software is the degree of customising available, allowing me to build, collect and present info exactly how I want. Freedom to design reports/bills is great Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Generally very happy with it, but when starting out could have benefited from some additional training/support Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have had no issues and had great success this far! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I work directly with clients and this has enabled me to collect their data and bill direct Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Accountant
Chemicals
What do you like best?

Device Magic provides the ability to create custom internal forms with easy to manipulate predefined fields. The ability to set multiple outputs and design your own templates is a huge plus. Additionally, device magic provides the ability to define work flow by utilizing form dispatches to devices. We have even used the Resources function to provide valuable work plans (i.e. blueprints), bid docs, and vehicle registrations/insurance docs to employees quickly and easily when out in the field. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The predefined output for a MS Word template is very basic. It basically spits out all the fields in your form in a list on the page with limited formatting and a lot of manipulation. To get a truly presentable final product you must design your output from scratch. Having a set of template ideas may be useful to customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The ability to customize the output software is a key benefit for a small company. Anyone with MS Excel or database skills can easily understand the form setup platform. Not to mention the product is easy to change and adapt as company needs change. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have a lot of work crews that travel 200/300 days a year. The ability to quickly submit job reports, inventory, receipts, etc. has been a huge benefit for these employees; especially because it is all from their mobile device and doesn't require computer access. Additionally, Device Magic provides a tool to deliver information and work tasks to these employees through dispatches. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Regional Manager
What do you like best?

Device Magic is the only tool that would work for our needs. I searched a lot of other options and they either wouldn't hold off-line submitted content or store pictures. Device Magic is the only one that does everything we need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I notice from time to time that updates can take a while to appear in the forms. Our needs are pretty dynamic, so this can be an issue at times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Depending on your needs, DM can be an incredible help in streamlining processes, reducing cost, and ensuring uniformity. Let you mind go when it comes to what can be done with an app. DM is probably a lot more functional and useful than you've even imagined. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have leveraged the Device Magic platform for almost all of our Field - Office reporting. Time cards, Production Reporting, Safety Meetings, Vehicle Inspections, Location Logs, and much more are all completed using Device Magic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

We are no longer misplacing field reports. When we want to know what happened with a certain job we can always find the information as the platform is able to integrate with our One Drive accounts. It is easy to update the way we want to see our reports and if we want to change something. The support people are very helpful and committed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could write information directly into SharePoint lists. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Understand the fundamentals of the platform. Spend some time creating your MS Word templates to deliver amazing documents to your customers. Make use of the help system and support, these guys try their best to be of assistance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No more misplaced documents. The platform helps drive accountability. Integration through the API makes it easy to send information into our systems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

I like the variety of options for a forms output. We use google drive and our own database, plus several custom scripts. The ability to push updates immediately is an incredible feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The rigid layout of the form in iOS and Android. Other than choosing the order of the form questions, there is no way to customize the way the form looks in the app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get lots of feedback from your users, what seems obvious on the computer screen may not translate to the phone/tablet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows us to easily make and push changes to all of our field technicians who are spread across the province of BC. Trying to update all of our devices would be impossible otherwise. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Trainer
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

Not much anymore. Used to have some nice reasonably priced packages and services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You keep increasing the prices and bumping services into higher paying tiers after you get used to it. Either forcing clients to upgrade to continue using same services and pay more money or cancel. I ended up cancelling. 3 price hikes in a year is not needed when other functionally equivalent services out there cost far less. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will spend a lot of time on integration and setup and become dependent on it only to find that they will continuously increase prices and remove services you depend on from your tier to higher tiers of you downgrade to stay in your budgets. It's deceptive. Trying to bank on the sunk cost fallacy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Nothing. Moved to a different service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Miranda Cheatham of Device Magic

Gerid,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with Device Magic. I’m sorry to hear there’s been confusion regarding changes to your pricing plan.

After looking into your account, it appears you would have received recent information about your plan increasing. While price increases are necessary for app development and are inevitable for growing businesses, this should be the first and only to impact your account. We would like to offer a conversation with one of our executive team members to see how we might remedy this.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to connecting with you again soon.

Miranda Cheatham, Associate Marketing Program Manager

Manager
What do you like best?

Ease of use for the field, simple data collection for the office. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the customization of pdf templates takes time. Also wish we could use google sheets/excel for templates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, once you got from a paper system to electronic you will never be able to go back! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communication between our 45 plus active jobs and our four offices. We are able to collect pertinent info from the field and make business decisions with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

The ease of designing a new form and deploying to a new device literally takes seconds. Very easy to use, configure and manage Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would be better if the API and XML features were part of a lower price range. We use those a lot but don’t require anything else out of the enterprise category so makes it a little bit more expensive than we would perhap like Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Service sheets from engineers was the main issue, emailing word documents for them to complete and sent back could become a bit of a mess. Knowing when it was updated etc. Sending them out too early and they would be missed in their inboxes. Device Magic takes care of all of those issues.

We have even started to use it in other areas such as our Quality Control department, each product has its own form with a series of pictures to capture and measurements. This ensures nothing gets missed and when photos are uploaded they are labelled as Front I’d Panel, Inside of Panel, Serial Number etc. Instead of Image10001, Image10002, Images10003 which makes it quicker and easier to find information Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Special Projects
What do you like best?

With Device Magic we can collect a variety of types of data (including photos and GPS coordinates) in locations where we cannot access the internet. Once the person collecting data is "back to civilization", Device Magic dumps everything right into a Google Sheet for further handling. We were able to build customized forms for different purposes using the very intuitive and user-friendly GUI, and this all comes at a very reasonable price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve to get form data pointed to the right place was just a little steep, but it only took a couple of tries to sort out what we needed to do. We had to be a bit careful with permissions for the folders and files that forms pointed to to avoid submission issues. Mostly I disliked that the project we built forms for is currently stalled indefinitely and I have not - yet! - found another reason to use Device Magic within our organization! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The free trial is a great option to test out building some forms and collecting data. Give it a try and you'll likely find it will meet your needs and you'll want to implement it on a larger scale. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We required the ability to collect multiple types of information at each of several sites in a remote location (no cellular service or other data communication available). We needed measurements, GPS coordinates, photos, and notes from the site visit. Although this particular project is currently stalled, we could not have even gotten as far as the feasibility analysis without that data, and the alternative for collection would have been pen and paper, then data entry (with the possibility for errors and potentially the need to revisit remote sites to collect missing information). This efficiency gain was key to our decision on whether or not to proceed with this major undertaking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Multifamily Services Coordinator
Renewables & Environment
What do you like best?

Response type from team on contract details and help with forms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to see the final reports prior to sending out to team. No batch modification function. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are streamlining our in-field data collection and the history logs of our inspections. The flexibility of the platform to meet our various needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Councillor
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Company is proactive in responding to questions and adding features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Interface to create forms isn't always intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trial is a good way to get a feel for the capabilities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Field inspections for engineering projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

The wide variety of options available in data destinations. It is important to be able to send things to different services, and sometimes, send things simultaneously. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are inconsistencies in compatibility of forms between iOS and android. This makes for some surprise situations in the field where a form won't work for some users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

More options for updating resource files. Ideally include an option to update a file via email w/ attachment. Emails can be automated from various systems with attached reports. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Collection of data in offline situations, and expediting the execution of action items resulting from the submitted data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President/CEO
Sports
What do you like best?

The ability to customize fields, forms, and the output data is essential to creating timely, meaningful reports. Customer service is always responsive Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The recent increase in monthly fee per device was a bit steep for a small user Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We help our customers identify and resolve operational inefficiencies by collecting data on the mobile device app. Previously we had used paper/pen Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Device Magic?

Device Magic Categories on G2