Daminion Reviews & Product Details

Daminion Overview

What is Daminion?

Daminion is a simple but very powerful tool for managing your digital assets. Daminion is used by more than 600 companies around the world in various industries, including game development, textile design, architecture and many others. We help production, marketing, design and sales teams to do their work faster and more efficiently. We've been helping large companies and small teams centralize, organize, and protect their digital assets for over 20 years. Daminion comes in both cloud and on-premises versions, you decide what best suits your needs. Deploy the on-premises version in under 30 minutes. Safeguard your digital assets from accidental deletion or misuse with secure access and built-in version control systems. Our simple-to-use interface will help your departments collaborate efficiently, and is easy to learn. New users are up and running in 1 hour. Daminion features a toolset that makes managing your digital assets a breeze. To try it out yourself, simply sign up for a free demo on our website.

Daminion Details
German, English, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish

Multi-user Digital Asset Management software aimed at all industries that need to organize and quickly search for photos, documents and other file formats stored on a local network. Designed for Windows, but can be launched on Macs via special applications.

- Focuses in file management
- Affordable pricing for small teams with limited budgets
- Tight integration with XMP/MWG metadata
- Supports for 100+ media formats, including vector images and documents
- Multi-monitor support
- Designed for local networks - all your data remains behind your company's firewall

Daminion Software
1999
Seattle, WA

Daminion Screenshots

Daminion Reviews

Showing 158 Daminion reviews
Already have Daminion?
What do you like best?

The look is clean and direct compared to other solutions, functions are easily accessed with the most intuitive way (context menu, ...).

Almost all functions I need are here.

I mailed a question about the missing most important one to me (about metada). I had a quick answer (functionnality not available yet) and was asked to send test pictures, which I did. Problem was looked at and soon functionality will be available in Daminion ! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I think, though metadata typing could be made easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I had to change the tools I used before because I now use more raw pictures and few jpeg ones.

I tested many tools and Daminion has the functions I need and its design is clean and pleasant (just compare with digikam for instance). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Softwareingenieur
What do you like best?

- A modern, fresh user interface

- A fast local database

- Sufficient opportunity to search and filter my photos

- Simple and intuitive operation - no manual absolutely necessary Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

- No reverse geo-naming

- No geo-tagging of multiple photos with the help of a file with recorded coordinates Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Now it is easier for me to manage all of my photos of the last 20 years. That saves me a lot of time! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Daminion
UP
What do you like best?

- open system: tags are written in IPTC standard = you can review or use what you implemented in the tags in another soft, such as photoshop or the excellent XnView

- you can upload the modifications in IPTC fields done through another soft in Daminiion

- you have lost your database, or decide to go to another picture management soft ( in Linux for instance) ? rebuild the database is easy, as information is in the metadatas inside the picture. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

as all other soft I have used, spending a minimum of time/hours to understand how it works is a minimum, if you want to avoid troubles

uploading the picture from your DC through Daminion by tagging the pictures is basiquely required = re-think the image management process flow . Once it's done, it's great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

best in classe Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

main benefit is to tag pictures in a centralized open software. Management is easy once it's done Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

Couple things I like about daminion: (1) ability to create custom tags and use them to filter images (2) the sidebar lists all of your tags and makes it easy to filter/create queries (3) your catalogs are saved in .dmc files, which lets you encrypt them or save them onto USBs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not really much I dislike. If I had to complain about something, it'd have to be that the Recently Assigned Tag feature is kind of slow sometimes, but honestly it doesn't matter that much. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Let's me organize my photography DCIM project files much better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

The ability to easily filter content (mainly pictures for me) based upon multiple tags Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's that powerful I'd also like to use it for my personal digital asset management (pdf, doc, etc) as well but it's mainly built for commercial uses, and then is a little bit complicated for personal use! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tag personal pictures and videos: persons, places, title, keywords, GPS

Everything is directly written in Exif and IPTC metadata, and then directly reusable and compatible in other tools (in-house online gallery with piwigo for my case)

The best way to protect your privacy: no GAFA tool automatically tagging the face of your child and using your data against your will ;-) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The handling is simple and intuitive.

After a very short settling-in period you get along very well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like automatic version control.

1) RAW: 1234.cr2 => JPG 1234_LR.jpg => recognize as version when importing.

2) Please note the sorting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test and then decide.

The best thing is to create a requirements catalog and then verify whether Daminion meets enough requirements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Finally, I can manage my tens of thousands of photos well. I have my Daminion catalog on an SSD, so access is very fast.

daminion is the ideal solution for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Murat Korkmazov of Daminion

Erwin, thanks for the feature suggestion!

Version Control term is already used in Daminion for the management of file revisions. Edited versions of the same file.

We are going to add the "Variants" option so you can combine RAW + JPEGs or different variants (versions) of the same asset (logotype, ad banner, etc.).

After that, we will consider automatic versions/variants based on file names.

Owner
What do you like best?

Tagging people, places, keywords and events is very fast and convenient.

Automatic tag creation based on directory structure.

Very stable and blazing fast working with large catalogues (15.000 images in milliseconds). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Daminion lacks Ai face recognition and automatic people/subject tagging.

Some interface improvements may add some polish and style (less frames and borders since it is 2020). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trust it. It really can handle most tasks you need with handling your clipart of photo archive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have a huge archive of clipart and photos that we need to sort, find and re-use when we need to, instead of buying new images every time.

Also it is very useful when you have an archive of photos and you need to find a photo by place, event or a keyword. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Murat Korkmazov of Daminion

Thanks for your feedback, Mikhail.

In the latest Daminion Server 6.4 we have added AI tagging. We use Google Vision service for this. 1000 images can be auto-tagged for free, after that you can add your Google key and continue using this feature.

UD
What do you like best?

I was looking for a replacement for Microsoft Media Expression and I found Daminion! Perfect, it has all the features of Media Expression with a modern interface and more, besides accepting various formats of videos and files from Illustrator and Photoshop! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like you to add Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer formats ... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A great alternative to Media Expression and an excellent complement to Adobe Lightroom. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I bought time, cataloging hundreds of photos and illustrations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

videographer
What do you like best?

Easy to use and flexibility when importing new assets Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No cons yet, I am trying the new version Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am trying to get together my 20K photos and maybe 1000 video Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Professor
What do you like best?

I found the software very easy to use and with many useful possibilty of selection and search in the database. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I did not find any serious flaws in the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Daminion to organise my research photos. It is easy to tag teh pictures and organise them or select a group of pictures to use in a paper or report. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Enthusiastic Amateur
What do you like best?

As an émigré from Adobe LR I have tried loads of different DAM programs. I find Daminion is the best of the bunch. I don’t mind the lack of editing function (but see below ) since opening in a third party editor is a breeze.

I especially like the ease of rearranging or organising keywords.

The use of multiple catalogues and the ability to handle non-picture files: PDFs, docs etc. I guess you could add books and CDs if you wanted

Daminion is available as a stand alone desktop non-subscription package. This made it for me.

You get a useful allowance of 15000 entries which should be more than enough to try Daminion and really test it. If you are just starting on a DAM adventure then 15K entries may be all you ever need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sort By: always defaults to none after closing program. I would prefer it if my sort setting was remembered upon opening.

I have the Daminion V manual in pdf but I would happily buy a printed copy for a reasonable price. The manual seems to comprise the tutorial pdfs all collected into one place and a very useful bookmarks/contents is added. It’s a very useful publication but there are some omissions. For instance, I would like info on opening an image in a third party editor and when finished editing saving it back to its original location or automatically adding the edited image into the database. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I Have a digital image collection that goes back nearly 20 years. I am slowly but surely bringing order to this collection since abandoning Lightroom. Who knows I might get round to digitising and cataloguing my analogue photographs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. SQL Database Administrator
What do you like best?

User interface is very intuitive and laid out well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

can be a little slow importing thousands of images. Would also like to see automatic versioning of photos (think RAW + JPG), so that when i edit the metadata of the main raw file, all versioned jpgs/tiffs have the same metadata applied. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In need of a DAM to manage my photos and videos with keywording support. Been using other competitors software, but have run into numerous issues such as slowness, corrupted metadata, and not enough features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director
What do you like best?

User interface and functions for data entry are very intuitive: people (who), category (what). place (where), event (why), and when. Since film media has no electronic produced metadata, the Daminion app is perfect for :adding such metadata to your catalog. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would love to see an addition to their great documentation: specifically a mapping between Daminion metadata vocabulary and the metadata systems that are supported - including Microsoft File Explorer, Adobe, and EXIF Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it. There is only one way to know for sure. Try it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No problems at all. Love the metadata synchronizing options: manual per image, manual for all images, automatic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I need to organise a growing number of photos for teaching ecology and other topics in university courses. For that, i need a system with flexible assignment and subsetting according to categories and or tags. Daminion, and its predecessor, gives me that Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dont like to be reminded every time i open the programme that i am on the free license - i know that ! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Really worth getting into if you want to find way in your jungle of phots Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Finding relevant photos for teaching and teaching materials Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Monumental Designer
What do you like best?

We created our own custom tag tree and the ability to search by these categories have made our salespeople head and shoulders over the competition . Our designing department can show a potential client exactly what is available in seconds! And because the tags stay with the file, we can transfer files to other computers. We often are in areas without internet so the stand alone program is PERFECT for us! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, I want to delete a picture after getting a better picture of the same subject. Daminion will 95 percent of the time delete the picture. But about 5 percent of these pictures will not delete. We cannot get them out of the catalog or out of the folder. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Save your catalogs safely away from any new work. There are buttons you can push that will set your back MONTHS! So as you progress, save that catalog and its picture folders where a mistake doesn't destroy your work. For instance, I always have the same catalog and folder on two seperate computers, so if I "blow" up the one I am working on, I can retrieve a good copy from the other computer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Very portable sales tool showing designs, colors, shapes, everything! Small laptop and you are ready! Also working with clients on via email, I can quickly find an example on Daminion that I can send a image of. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I have found over some years that it serves all my needs for tagging and keywording, as my photo/video collection has grown it still holds true. For me the stand alone version is important, as I do not always have internet or mobile access. Have tried the keyword/tagging in a variety of photo software, ie Lightroom, ZonerPhoto, Elements etc, they are OK but lack the strength of Daminion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, it works for me, that said of course it will not work for all, but I am happy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Like most things you have to try it first, if it meets 75% of your needs then go for it. I find it intuitive to use and nice and simple to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In my case it has stopped me loosing valuable photos/videos, and finding them so much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Photographer
Photography
What do you like best?

The thing that I like best about Daminion is it's ability to batch write tags and other vital information directly into a file i.e. meta-data etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I dislike about Daminion is that you have to create a catalog in order to process any of your images. I would love to just be able to do it on the fly since I am writing the information into the file itself. I don't have a need for a separate catalog to store the information as a backup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give the product a try if you're interesting in writing meta-data directly to your photographs in bulk. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The business problem that I solved using Daminion is that able to get my work done faster so I'm able to get product to my clients sooner giving me the ability to move on to the next project as quickly as possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Daminion very flexible:

[1] allows to import all sorts of files: text files (like PDF), pictures, sound bits, movies... and retrieve them selecting whatever search option is convenient: import date, file type, keywords (tags)...

[2] a number of preset tags are useful, but Daminion allows user-defined tags too, which is helpful, in my case, to search e.g. for key topics, historical events, and animal species.

[3] support is very good: very responsive and helpful suggestions. I really appreciate the good communication. You're communicating with a human, not a system.

[4] it's small: the catalogue is just an 'umbrella', a file that remains fairly small (Mb's) and I can still access the files through a File Explorer. Daminion does not modify the original files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The're only one small thing I do not like: Daminion automatically imports tags that may be assigned to e.g. a PDF, like search keywords or author names. These tags 'pollute' the key structure that I have setup in Daminion, so I need to manually search for them to delete them.

For the rest, I have a few small things on my wish-list: [a] password-protected catalogs and [b] the possibility to search for keywords that have 'zero' documents assigned (e.g. that are not used and can be deleted. This would allow me to clean up the keyword structure as sometimes keywords are accidentally or incorrectly entered and not used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trying it is for free (up to many records), so there's nothing really that prevents you from using the product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I work as a polar guide. Previously I kept all my files in a folder structure. But the overlaying structure that Daminion offers, allows me to access all these files in many different ways. Say: a scientific paper on "winter dispersion of Wandering Albatrosses of South Georgia" can now be retrieved by searching for author, bird species, non-breeding, migration, and through a lot of other search options.

My polar guide works somewhat overlaps with my other freelance job as a photographer. I do not use Daminion for photo editing and cataloging, I've been using Lightroom before I started using Daminion. In theory both products somewhat overlap, but in practice I find they both do what they're best at, and for my work there's no real overlap. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Responsable Centre de Contacts & Directeur de Projets Telecoms
What do you like best?

Daminion is so easy to use and so efficient. I've never been disapointed and I've never faced any bug for the last 4 years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when files are deleted outside of Daminion we need to refresh the directories content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No problem, easier to tag files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Daminion only restrict the numbers of item in your catalog, but at 15,000 that will be enough for most people. Upgrading your license will increase the maximum, or you can create another Catalog database instead. Aside from that their Filtering and Tagging system is much better than what other software have to offer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The weakness of Daminion is it slowly becoming what some people hate, the move into the "cloud". Ever since the creation of Daminion Server, the plan is in place to make the offline standalone version obsolete in the near future. Eventually stop updating the Standalone version all together (hopefully that is not the case). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need Photo Editing then Daminion might be very weak in that aspect, Lightroom probably the one to go. However, Daminion management is triumph. If you need to go Reverse searches or image searches, digiKAM have this beauty feature that maybe few more years time before Daminion have it, but thanks to Daminion tagging and filtering system you can find what you looking for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Daminion providing a possible to filter, tag and manage a large collection of file, mainly it purpose is Photo (DAM), but unlike a commercial software such as Adobe Lightroom, file type is not restricted. You can pretty much have Daminion import any filetypes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UG
What do you like best?

Daminion is fast and reliable.I'm using it for a long time now and it never had failed. The way you can search your images is great. It's very time saving that you can process any images from within Daminion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, it takes a long time to rebuild the thumbnails of a a catalogue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Once you've tried it, you can't work without it ... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can find images very fast and save a lot of time. When someone asks a certain image, it's very easy to find it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AA
What do you like best?

Daminion bietet eine aussergewöhnliche Flexibilität im Verwalten von Dokumenten und Bildern.

Die Suchfunktionen sind genial und einfach zu handhaben.

Wir haben diverse andere Produkte evaluiert, aber keines bot die Möglichkeiten von Daminion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Manchmal ist es schwierig verstellte Einstellungen in der Bedienungsoberfläche wieder rückgängig zu machen. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Am besten installieren und einen kostenlosen Test machen - Sie werden überzeugt sein ! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Verwaltung von Analyseberichten, Bildern, Arbeitsbeschreibungen und Dokumenten Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Niet afgestudeerd onderzoeker, professioneel projectleider, ex-maatschappelijk werker
Non-Profit Organization Management
What do you like best?

Daminion is a very good way to find and file all the pictures I have made and collected. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am not all to certain that changes are registered at a moment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A vast collection of pictures very good archived and rather easy to find and search on many terms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I started a research on the disaster on the Damsquare in Amsterdam/ Holland in 2012. Historical a blind spot in The Netherlands. The foundation is even in 2018 still researching photographic material from several archives and individual conributors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Retired
Oil & Energy
What do you like best?

Batching of modifications and quick navigation. So far so good - still learning and exploring functionality Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Lack of geo/spatial addition / modification of images through a map interface (and Ideally in a batch mode) - this is critical as many historic images don't have gps location and often photos are taken in areas where a GPS fix cannot be attained. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely an easy way to manage, classify and group images and its respective metadata around project management and maintenance activity Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

At this stage it is simply managing an extensive archive of photographic records from various infrastructure construction programs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.