Compare It! Reviews & Product Details

What is Compare It!?

Easily compare and merge text files; compare doc, xls and pdf files; prepare comparison reports and printouts.

Compare It! Profile Details

Sales And Marketing Specialist
Food & Beverages
(10,001+ employees)

"Simple, yet useful"

What do you like best?

CompareIt is a tool I use rarely, but when I need it it always helps.

We mostly use Google Docs for writing collaboration so finding the changes isn't complicated there. But when we receive texts from freelancers that have come through several iterations and versions, CompareIt helps with seeing all of the changes applied. It's essential for us to check if all of the corrections and additions were made, so running the two versions side-by-side is a very fast and effective way.

What do you dislike?

With how simple and straightforward CompareIt is there's little to dislike. Of course it's not 100% correct all the times, but in a different manner. Sometimes CompareIt detects more differences than there actually is, but that's the additional point t check that's brought to our attention. So it's better to find more than miss something.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

CompareIt is a very simple tool that helps with saving a ton of time comparing multiple versions of the same file (in case you don't have a dedicated version control). It's free and definitely worth using.

Comparing multiple iterations of text received from external writers to make sure that all of the necessary corrections were made. This approach saves a ton of time when checking the texts for differences.

Markting Manager
Insurance

"Irreplaceable app"

What do you like best?

Compare It! is an app with a very simple premise - it compares two texts and highlights the differences.In the modern age of version control in Google Docs or Zoho Writer, you'd think that you don't need an app like that. Yes, for the comparison of the internal docs it makes no sense. But when a client sends you the 6th version of the newly updated contract without marking the corrections, this is where Compare It!comes into play. You simply paste two texts side by side and Compare It!shows you what has changed between them.

What do you dislike?

Compare It! is a free and rather simple app, so don't expect much. It might not show you all the differences at once and the parts of text might not be fully marked, but its more than enough to know where you should start looking for the miss-matches between the two documents.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A very useful app to keep around. It's free so it makes sense to run it when receiving a new iteration of a client or customer.

We primarily use Compare It! to compare documents that arrive vie email from customers, those are mainly the iterations of various contract. It helps save time on manually comparing two docs for corrections and differences when a client fails to do so beforehand.

"Useful for file comparison on Windows"

What do you like best?

Compare it is a great file comparison tool for windows, being GUI based it's about as easy as it gets! You simply select the two files you wish to compare and it returns a split-screen, with one file on the left and the other on the right. The differences between the files are clearly shown by way of highlighting, it also leaves a space where the difference is on the other file, so the rest of the code matches up and again it's easier to see where the change is.

There''s lots of other useful little features, like the ability to send the difference to the other file or vice versa, by way of a single click.

The files are clearly titled at the top, this helps greatly with confusion. When starring into the abyss of a lcd until dawn you can easily forget which files current....well I can anyway, a quick glance up and you know your on track.

What do you dislike?

Having to remember to ctrl+tab to insert a tab for me is a minor niggle.

The standard functionality is that the tab key changes you over the the other file, I use the tab key frequently when indenting code.

If your like me, fear not, they have included a way to change the keymapping which is the perfect solution albeit a bit clunky. Found in the options, I removed the keymapping for the switching pane, which was set to the tab key. After this the tab key just did nothing, I had to go back and find the keymapping for inserting a tab and then remove the ctrl + tab and just add a tab on its on. Most keymapping I've used work on the logic that if a key isn't assigned, the default for the key is used. If you don't map a space bar to something,...it should produce a space.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very useful file comparison tool for Windows that is extremely easy to use. It's available free as shareware, so you have nothing to lose.

Compare It for me is a time saving tool, it's quicker and easier to get a quick visual of differences when coding. It's also helped with troubleshooting, upgrading and various other in-house tasks where we have needed to check files against their originals to catalog any modifications.

Senior IT Administrator
Financial Services

"Compare It makes light work of what can be very difficult"

What do you like best?

I like that the software is considerably easier to use than most other products claiming to do the same thing. When comparing many documents in a row, it is nice that the software remembers the last folders from both the source and destination files so you don't have to keep browsing back to where you want to be. The product is very user friendly and doesn't take a huge learning curve to figure out what you are doing. Each feature has been very easy to use as well as very easy to find. Some products like to add more features into their software which in turn either makes it look bad or they weren't able to follow through on any one feature. That is not compare it.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything that I dislike just yet. It just seems to work which is all that you can ask for in such a basic product.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't overthink something like this product. It's simply there to point out the differences and allow you to merge them if wanted.

I'm able to make updates to existing documents with new versions and easily combine the files to what it needs to be. I've used other products and they seem clunky when it should be something very basic. I wasn't asking for a lot in the product other than to simply point out the differences between files and that is exactly what it does.

Business Analyst

"Beginner Compare It user."

What do you like best?

Differences-based editing and the fact that documents can be merged.

What do you dislike?

Unless I am doing something incorrectly, when I compare two Adobe pdfs, the results are defined; however, the results are printed in a font / language that I cannot read. I very well may be doing something wrong and have to look at the Help File. The changes are still defined, so I can still look at the paragraphs on the files individually and determine where the changes are. I just can't read them off of the Compare It tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The installation process is very simple and speedy. Additionally, the types of files that can be compared are varied and support everything I have needed so far from Excel spreadsheets to Adobe pdfs. A Help file is included as part of the tool and has been a useful resource within the tool.

Quite often I am comparing Microsoft Excel documents manually, and when this step is typically only a step in the task at hand. When comparing the files manually takes so much of my time, the overall project takes longer since I am held up while comparing a number of documents. Using a tool to automate this process is invaluable to my overall project timeline. Using Compare It has helped me so far by reducing the time spent comparing documents from anywhere around a 6 hour effort to only taking minutes for the compare process, and then an hour or two to analyze results. Aside from reduction of time, another business benefit is that users can output the compare results and Save i This way I can run the compare(s) and analyze later.

Analyst / Programmer

"I use this software on a weekly basis to compare different versions of files. "

What do you like best?

The best thing about this software is it's integration into Windows file explorer. You just have to right-click on the first file, select the option "Compare file #1" then right-click on the second file and select "Compare file #2" and the program loads with the comparison of the two files. Fast and easy.

The interface is easy to understand. You can easily spot the changes and the blocks that have been moved.

Lastly the level of options you have are great. You can "tweak" the comparison settings to your liking.

What do you dislike?

The thing I don't like is the lack of a nice folder comparison. This is something I need from time to time and I have to rely on another program for this purpose. Also, even if the quality of the software is good, there doesn't seem to have any new development on it. That is a shame. The basis is good and there could be so much more functionality added to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For simple and fast file comparison, this is the tool you need! For folder comparison, unfortunately, you'll need something else.

I'm a programmer, so this helps me to find out if there are differences between files in my development environment and the production environment. The fact that I can launch the comparison in just a few clicks is a big plus in my book. No fussing around the list of programs to find it.

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Not being a developer I like this because it makes it very easy to see the differences in working code and non working code. I know just enough about coding that it will allows me to easily see the pain points I am having.

What do you dislike?

I have not run into anything I dislike yet.

I compare code from objects in databases that currently work to objects that are not currently working correctly or have errors. I am not a developer but this helps me to determine where I need to start troubleshooting.

Assistant Manager
Consumer Goods

"Excellent tool for tracking changes and merging files"

What do you like best?

The interface is clean and clear, one can easily use this tool to check how codes have been changed by team members thanks to syntax highlighting.

This software supports all document formats, including MS Word, Markdown, HTML., and is extremely useful for me in checking our project documentation, and periodic reports.

I recently discovered that it could make comparison of any file format easier, including images, and spreadsheets, though I am not a heavy user of both usecases.

What do you dislike?

It's not as advanced as the linux counterparts. In my primary use case, ie writing and reviewing code, many text editors have the functionality as an add in, and hence, I am not motivated to open another program to do the same.

It still seems like a decade old software in a new shell. More features like github integration, code folding could be added.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should definitely give this a try, especially if you want to review changes between large volumes of code, for production purposes in Windows.

I am building a robust software platform to diagnose conditions of the retina.

In windows environment, which is my go-to OS for day to day activities, Compare it, is very helpful in checking minute differences between two images and spreadsheets as well.

Systems engineer

"Useful tool"

What do you like best?

A simple functionality that takes helps developers a lot. The way that shows you the differences is really comprehensive.

What do you dislike?

The need to download a program. Think in a webapp

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Build a web-based version

Managing different versions of a program/scripts that some programers modified

"Compare it tool"

What do you like best?

Compare it is a powerful file compare and merge tool. provides built in editor with ability to highlight syntax , changes with lines or fast by difference merging. best of the features is that it supports multiple platforms like windows , dos , Unix etc

What do you dislike?

no tool is perfect. code compares content inside files but need way to find a fine by name. also does not support block copy functionality. Also tool is not actively upgraded with new functionality

using he tool for application development by developers

"Firm believer and user"

What do you like best?

Very easy to understand. Works great with Microsoft Office as well

What do you dislike?

No new add ons in awhile but I love it other then that. There isn't much to complain about

We havent ran into any problems yet but what we love is You don't have to play around with the programs

(10,001+ employees)

"Excellent for MS Office Documents, And Cheap!"

What do you like best?

I have yet to find a product that does as good a job with MS Office files as this.

What do you dislike?

Lack of customizable actions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For the price, you cannot beat it.

Vice President

"Compare It! is a HUGE time-saver"

What do you like best?

I use Compare It! mostly for text comparison and analyzing different versions of code. The line by line highlighting makes it very easy to quickly identify blocks of code that have changed and untangle messes.

What do you dislike?

The workflow defaults to opening files for comparison instead of copying and pasting text. Otherwise it's great!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I haven't found anything else out there like Compare It! for text and file comparison.

Compare It! User Ratings

Ease of Use
Average: 8.9*
Quality of Support
Average: 8.4*
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.8*
* CMS Tools Category
Do you work for Compare It!?

Compare It! Categories on G2