Colleague by Ellucian Reviews & Product Details

What is Colleague by Ellucian?

An effective campus is a connected campus. As a versatile higher education ERP, Colleague® by Ellucian unites your entire institution to keep students, faculty, and staff productive and engaged. Colleague is a fully integrated student management system that provides secure, easy access to the information institutions need to manage assets more efficiently and allocate resources more effectively.

Colleague by Ellucian Profile Details

Public Relations and Communications
Most Recent Colleague by Ellucian Video Review
Senior Student Finance Counselor

"Student Finance Counselor"

What do you like best?

I like that even when the systems update, etc. you are always able to adapt quickly to the changes. The core pieces of Colleague remain the same. I appreciate that finding the various screen has lots of quick links or short hand to help get through various screens more quickly.

What do you dislike?

The system feels a bit out of date & runs slower with each update. Could use a couple more quick click screens to get to NSLDS rather than having to click multiple screens to find out loan information. I do not like that you can no longer see a students SSN on the AIDE screen. But instead, you have to go to SASM or to BIO. Which is difficult when the majority of the work I do is in FASI, AIDE and ARTI/SI.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not try to make the system work for you. Instead, learn how to use the system the way it is designed and bend your company to Colleague.

Things to be updated: Quicker ways to get to NSLDS. Put SSN back on AIDE screen. More indepth reporting services.

Working with multiple students and families each day, I am able to solve the majority of their questions all in one location. I'm not having to go to each individual Government site, but instead I am able to have it all linked into Colleague. It helps provide a more complete financial picture in one place.

Student Employment Coordinator

"My experience with colleague has been very good. "

What do you like best?

I like that it is simple to use. There are many available codes and customization tools in it. I like that many departments in my organization can use the same system. It is a good place to store data. I think it is very useful when we are running our payroll. It is simple to use and easy to train others on.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I get notices that it is not connected to the server. It can also run very slowly sometimes. I wish it could be easier to make reports from colleague information. I think our IT department has a hard time creating reports from the information on Colleague, but I think it is nice that they have that option to create reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think this is a great tool to use especially in a university setting where there are many departments that could use the same tools.

We are using colleague for payroll purposes and I think it has worked very well because we can also use it to check on other information other than payroll items. We use colleague to change pay rates, add bonuses, and other things in terms of payroll. We also use it to do payroll reductions as well and list medical benefit information. I think it is very handing that other departments can use the same system for their own use as well as in keeping records or financial information as well.

"Colleague is a bit confusing but you'll get the hang of it"

What do you like best?

I like that its pretty quick to use, there is not much lag time. I like that Colleague allows me to access all the students information they need, view their restrictions, see their addresses, see who they are related to, see their class schedule and personal information if I need to do more than just email them directly. I also like that I can make edits such as change their advisor or committee member.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that there is no real shortcut to see the different screens. You can see them only if you've inputted the screen (ie: SPRO, XTH2A) previously in the form search history section. I do like that it is pretty simple to use and that it doesn't have an update every so many days. I dislike that you have to memorize or already know almost every screen you want to go to, there is no list anywhere provided.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Learn from someone in your office who is a pro and knows all the different screens available, it will really help you become more efficient in using the product and also help make your job easier.

We use it to look up students information, schedules, adjust their advisors/committee, look at a students restrictions on their account. We also use it to find out their addresses, people that they are related to, etc. The benefits are that it helps reduce the amount of paper we have to keep on hand and can have all this information stored on the system instead.

Professional Musician
Music

"Utilizing Colleague for Record Management"

What do you like best?

Colleague can seem incredibly daunting upon first diving in, but once the user becomes familiarized with the interface and some of the key commands the user's institution utilizes through Colleague, it becomes an incredible tool for keeping track of key records. In my job, we deal with a lot of duplicate records from different times of submission (ex: applications for yearly programs coming from the same students in consecutive years, etc.) and Colleague is great at catching these duplicates and presenting them in a clear manner.

What do you dislike?

As I mentioned, Colleague can be very daunting at the get-go, and can stay that way for years if the user doesn't use it often or remains unfamiliar with some key elements. I still find myself stumbling around on certain days, and there are admittedly a few key areas in which Colleague could improve. The lack of a list of Forms accessible in the program itself is easily the biggest downside in my opinion, as it becomes a headache of searching/asking around for the proper four letter code, especially if the user happens to be the only one in the office consistently using Colleague (or that particular form in Colleague).

As mentioned above, it has made tracking duplicate records a breeze. We're able to keep applicants assigned to one specific ID which we can then use to track them across other platforms that we've linked into Colleague, which is a total lifesaver!

"Big Solution for Big Organizations"

What do you like best?

It's usually fast to load screens and easy to use once you memorize some steps and navigation paths. It's great that it can communication with other software to link data from another program to profiles on Colleague, even though it's unfortunate that this only works when using certain (outdated) browsers such as Internet Explorer and not ones like Chrome or Firefox. I like that you can personalize the colour of the app.

What do you dislike?

Complicated navigation; requires memory to find pages or if you have never used a page before, you need to know exactly what acronym to search for. Would be better if it didn't lock out users if someone else is in the file, but I understand the rational for that. It's annoying that the "update" box pops up every time you save out. Should be able to communicate with external programs when using more browsers and not just Internet Explorer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Excellent for managing large quantities of data that needs to be easily accessed by many people in an organization.

Easy, multi-purpose system for student data and program tracking. Can communicate with other software for connected solutions.

"Colleague experience in an academic setting"

What do you like best?

Once learned, it is efficient, the software can do many different features including budget management, and keeping up with student data and course data. After you have mastered certain features, it is very easy to input data and have it available for everyone who needs it in the organization.

What do you dislike?

Very difficult software to learn. It is not user friendly or intuitive. If there were step by step tutorials available for the software it would greatly improve the experience. When using it, especially for student data records, there were often little things that would cause errors, and if you did not input the information in the right order it could mess up the whole transaction. Search features are also not great - you have to be very specific with what you are searching for.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a software that can do a lot of different things, but make sure your company has someone experienced to train others.

I am using this product in an academic setting, to manage budgets and create requisitions for PO's. I have also utilized this software for student registrations and data entry and management for a course catalog. It is very good if you have a company that needs to access a lot of information across the board. However it is sometimes difficult to find the information unless you know specifically what you are looking for.

Student Finance Counselor

"Colleague Review"

What do you like best?

This is a system that I have used for almost 8 years and have grown very used to. I feel that once a user becomes accustomed to the functionality that it really is a quite intuitive piece of software. The layout and ease of use of the "drill down" functions is excellent.

What do you dislike?

I wish that more screens could be individually customized for me specific business needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product that is very intuitive for higher ed

We use this as our primary database of all student account information.

Site Coordinator
Higher Education

"Helpful but not Intuitive"

What do you like best?

Great for storing info and holding my students permissions/ registration, but not good at having a list or prompting options for forms.

What do you dislike?

The lack of ease: for example, there is a lot of memorization required to use for student accounts that aren't easy to remember (i.e. granting permissions/waivers). It would be more helpful if you could search a list of codes/forms instead of having to know them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you wither input your abbreviations/add-on a way to look up what forms/options you have for users. It will be especially useful for training and new-hires.

Registering/ updating/Looking up student accounts. Benefits include: accessing accounts of my students without having them physically in my office or logging in as them,

Admissions Recruiter
Higher Education

"Your worst nightmare until you learn the backdoor tricks."

What do you like best?

It is hard to find something that I do like about this product. I will say that once you learn all the quarks, it becomes easier to work with. The screens that do display the information are very clear, once you are able to get to where you need to go. Unfortunately, the product fails to deliver on their promise to made managing student profiles easier.

What do you dislike?

Ellucian claims that this product is able to communicate with all of their other platforms, recruit, advise, but I find that is the lest accurate claim. There are continuous communication problems between the platforms and lost of student information.

Colleague has many different information screens that hold various different important student information, you have to hop between multiple screens just to find the answer to a single questions.

The platform is not user friendly and unless you know all the shortcut codes, this product will be your worst enemy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are far better platforms that manage student in better ways.

The problems of managing student profiles and being able to access information, still lingers. Colleague was proposed as a one product meet all, but you will quickly learn you need all of the Ellucian platforms to be effective in all areas of student management.

Programmer Analyst
Higher Education

"Colleague is a completely integrated campus solution"

What do you like best?

There are many products that fall under Colleague. We use Student, Financials, HR, and Advancement. They are tied together by Core which contains demographic information shared by all of the modules. You only have to update a record in one place and that takes care of the entire platform. Our students are able to take advantage of their web based products, too.

What do you dislike?

Ellucian, formerly Datatel, is behind the curve when it comes to it's interface. Although they have made great gains in the past few years, their interface is not as modern as it should be

We use Colleague to track everything about a student from the time we start recruiting them. That includes demographics, high school and college academics, communications, financial aid, student accounts, residence life, NCAA compliance, etc. Eventually we convert them to Advancement where they are alumni. Their alumni information is linked with their student information and even donation information. We are able to bring that all together in one software package.

"Great product- very customizable as well"

What do you like best?

I like that we can personalize Colleague UI to add forms that make our work flow more efficient and faster. We have so much information in this platform from student/employee records to all the bills we pay on a weekly basis. It is not too hard to learn how to run reports, I think that's a big plus.

What do you dislike?

the only thing I can think of is that the new Colleague UI 5 is a bit slower than the older version, I'm used to going at a certain pace and now the program freezes. I just have to remember to go a little bit slower. but the new features with the upgrade make it still worth it to switch.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

give it a try is a nice platform and very customizable and easy to use. Our IT department has done a great job supporting this and their relationship with the support from Colleague has been great as well.

we can run reports and recently we were able to incorporate it with our new expense management software. We can easily find records and pull very detailed information of our financial transactions.

"Love this SIS!"

What do you like best?

I've used Colleague for many years, and then left the higher ed institution who used it to go to a different one that used Banner. I'm now back at an institution that uses Colleague and I'm thrilled. The user experience is more common-sense than other SIS out there. While it may take some getting used to, once you do, everything becomes second nature.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that some screens you can type the name and go right into it, and some you have to remember to put the application before it (ex. st-IASU instead of just IASU). It's frustrating when trying to get something done.

Colleague is a system that everyone on campus can use to solve database needs, between HR, Financial Services, Enrollment, etc. When dealing with the student record, everything that front line staff need is available in just a few simple screens (or able to be found by detailing in on one particular screen), so it makes helping the student quicker and easier for everyone.

"Could use some improvements"

What do you like best?

The screens are easy to navigate between as long as you know the acronyms to input. It's best to memorize them or have a list of the most frequently used screens. The colors and font can be customized which is nice. The last update that was added has improved my experience.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how much time it takes to navigate between screens. I want to be able to work faster than it's capable of. I find myself waiting on it to catch up with me and when it does, it will shut down and I have to restart. It's very frustrating when I'm working through a list of students and the software can't keep up with me. I've used this software for over 10 years and gone through many "updates", but it sill needs some major updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I haven't used any other similar product, so it's hard to recommend this one. It gets the job done, but there may be better products out there.

We can run reports of students that have a past-due balance so that we know who we need to contact each month.

"Database"

What do you like best?

What I like about Colleague is that it is quite easy to know how to use once you play around with it. I do like the fact that you can click to get to another page while being in a page instead of having to go back and putting your choice of page at the top.

What do you dislike?

I hate the fact that it is so unbelievably slow sometimes! I don't understand why some days it just goes and why others it needs to think and process for up to 10 seconds or more. It is frustrating. I also have gotten use to it loading aback up after every few users but i also don't understand why that needs to happen.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I am not sure what the price is for this, that is why I put n/a. I would say to go ahead and try out this product for those who haven't. It may be of use to them or may suit their needs better.

I am able to review my customer's account information. I realized that it is all in one place (their information) and it is easy to go from one screen to the next.

"Colleague is very manual "

What do you like best?

I like that it holds a lot of information but the way the information is presented is outdated and a little straining to the eyes especially when you have to work out of the system all day.

What do you dislike?

The system is very manual. You have to tweak stuff in order for other stuff to work. I used it in the financial aid office to award students and it took me 19 pages to generate a letter that I would then have to go and edit key points. I also don’t like how you have to “drill in” to so many spots to find answers. It’s not a friendly system to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It’s an okay system but I would recommend something a little more modern to the eyes

We are awarding and reporting financial aid information. It holds all of our records for disbursing aid and also student personal information (attendance, grades, etc.) for easy access which is helpful.

"Academic use of Colleague"

What do you like best?

Colleague can be a powerful tool for student records, however the learning curve is quite steep. The broad range of abilities of the software is quite impressive, ranging from budgets to student records. Works well for organizing holds, registration information, and program evaluations.

What do you dislike?

The interface of colleague is unnecessarily complicated and convoluted. Once you have the commands memorized, then you can navigate the program reasonably well. But unit that point, the entire system is not at all intuitive to use. This software IS NOT user friendly at all. Managing student accounts is also quite difficult. You need a full time person dedicated specifically to Colleague, so they can master the software and actually make it useful for your organization.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Overall, powerful but very difficult to use.

The software is used in an academic setting to organize a course catalog, time/location of courses, student scheduling, etc. Overall the software is powerful, but very difficult to use or master.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"Disappointed by the current version"

What do you like best?

I used this product back when it was under a different name and was a dos based product. I like the changes and the zoom features as well as the color choice options. There are still quite a few keyboard shortcuts which are also appreciated.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how slow the newest version is. I am currently still using the 4.5 version as it will take me 1-2 minutes to enter in a file but with the newer version with how slow it is and the freezing it is closer to 5 minutes sometimes longer. May not seem like a huge difference but it is when entering 50-100 files a day during busy season.

We use it as our main database for all our clients and vendors.

International Student Advisor
Higher Education

"Seems ok, but could use some revamping"

What do you like best?

I can look up a student and their academics, level, degree, and current coursework. Seems to be good start to organizing international student information and data but some features may need improvement.

What do you dislike?

Some features should be listed (more tabs), such as if the student is designated as an international, permanent resident, US citizen, etc. This is critical to my line of work since I work with international student information and management of their enrollment that can affect their legal status.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Essentially it does help look up, evaluate, and check students and track their course history and grades, but it could be much simpler in format layout and better functional tools to use.

Realized that sometimes it takes awhile to load, and navigating through the tabs can be confusing initially, so the interface seems intuitive, but not always.

Advancement Database Manager
Higher Education

"Colleague - Cumbersome but Improving"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ease of logging into the system and searching for pertinent data related to students in our university. Also the relative ease of completing cash receipting sessions for financial reconciliation.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the seeming proprietary limits to Internet Explorer to log into the system when I rarely use the browser for anything else. It has been problematic in my department. It has improved over the years, but my impressions of Colleague were shaped by frustration with its "clunky" environment. I'm not sure how else to say it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to shop around and make decisions based on what other systems your organization uses and whether Colleague will "speak the same language" as the other databases/software. Will it dovetail with other systems you wish to keep? Get lots of recommendations and don't make a quick decision with such a product that will impact your organization for years/decades to come.

Keeping reconciled to the university's GL accounts from all departments has been useful, as everyone is accountable to this one database for Financial reconciliation and audits.

College Degree Audit
Mental Health Care

"I like it, but too slow at times."

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to search for what I'm looking for and the way information is displayed. I like that I can make the window bigger or smaller to see better. I also like that you can change the settings in order to keep the context open or closed as I switch windows.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it works somewhat slow most of the time and at times is very slow. Also sometimes it'll freeze, not very often, but it happens. And I don't like how sometimes when it freezes, when I close it and open it back up, it won't let me see the information I need because it says it's locked by me. :/

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just be patient. Specially when it acts slow.

It allows me to search students records with ease. There are many windows that allow me to view different aspects of a students file, to better serve them and answer their question.

Assistant to the Dean

"Colleague? Datatel?"

What do you like best?

It is simple to find student ID numbers in this software.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how consistently there has been change within this company. It was formerly named datatel and with each new change it feels as though I am thrown off.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I do enjoy this software. It has enabled us to keep track of our student's information easily, but is also a bit buggy at times and we often have issues with the software of it.

We are able to use this software to better manage student ID and demographic information.

Managing director

"I use it daily and it gets the job done"

What do you like best?

I have used many SIS and I like ellucian- especially the new app- ELLUCIAN GO. I also like how Ellucian is going to consider creating name fields for gender neutral applicants!

What do you dislike?

Hard to toggle between two different student records.

Must enter a gender on a record instead of making accomodations for gender nonconforming people.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would make sure that it will be supported for years to come by Colleague and by your own IT team.

We track all of our students - domestic and international- with Ellucian. It is easy to use.

"Colleague by Ellucian to keep students, faculty, and staff actively engaged and integrated. "

What do you like best?

What I like best about Colleague Ellucian is that advisors and students can utilize the software to build their course schedule and see the progress of the student as they go along each semester. Students can also access to their financial aid information in a user friendly environment.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Colleague by Ellucian is that the interface is not very intuitive. It takes time to learn how to use it and to understand it's capabilities.

Colleague by Ellucian allows for an integrated self-software allows students to build a school course schedule under student planning, allows Financial Aid students access to their information, while also allowing advising staff to view and modify information as needed.

"Great software for helping students"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to enter information about students so that I can quickly and efficiently create profiles with student ID numbers for them. The different menus are very easy to navigate. I also like that I was able to customize the color. I also like the keyboard shortcuts.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about this program.

I have been able to help out students much more quickly with the key shortcuts which have allowed me to get info and switch between different menus easily.

"Colleague Advancement"

What do you like best?

While Colleague Advancement is not as stream-lined as other like software, it does have a plethora of information that is stored for each constituent. It is not the most user friendly, but once the end user figures out some basic screens to find information, it is easy to go through different screens and find out more about their history, relationships both to people and organizations, giving history, wealth screening information, address history, academic history, and many other things that are useful to both the end user fundraisers as well as the administrators who are pulling reports for other offices.

The merger with Ellucian seems like it has and will continue to improve what is available for Colleague Advancement customers, and their yearly conference is a great source of information and new ideas for how to best utilize Colleague Advancement for a variety of data, reporting, and fundraising needs.

What do you dislike?

Many users who come into our organization after using a different fundraising database struggle to get up to speed with Colleague Advancement. They are not used to not being able to pull their own reports, which adds some additional time and waiting. While Colleague does have a plethora of information, it is difficult to pull that information out with the reporting tools that are available and therefore there is a lot of going back and forth with report requests. This issue may change as new reporting software is introduced and utilized.

Right now, we're trying to better utilize the payroll deduction function as well as the campaign function. Having a better understanding and process for payroll deductions will increase giving and having a better understanding and process for the campaign tree function will provide better information about how donations are coming in.

Business Strategist
Professional Training & Coaching

"Colleague Feels Outdated"

What do you like best?

It remembers whatever reports/forms I pull so I only have to start typing the start of it before it recognizes what I'm looking for. I also like the keyboard shortcuts, once I was actually able to figure them out. Beyond that, there's nothing that stands out to say that I like, let alone that I like "BEST". It gets the job done, but I can't say it happens in an efficient manner.

What do you dislike?

Not at all intuitive. I'm also unaware of how to save the report information I want to pull each month so that I don't have to re-type everything each time. It just has a very outdated feel to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look elsewhere. Colleague is not the software for you.

I'm pulling financial reports and information on students. I'm not sure there are any benefits other than the keyboard shortcuts that make it a bit easier/faster to use.

Clinical Social Work Intern
Hospital & Health Care

"Perfect Organization Database"

What do you like best?

I like the facility to access information

What do you dislike?

I dislike it’s confusing at first. It takes a while to navigate and know what you’re doing

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would like a quick tutorial to be implemented for the people who learn by doing rather than in a manual.

It helps find a profile rather quickly and all the information is there.

Office Manager of Information Technology
Maritime

"Ellucian Colleague"

What do you like best?

It it an easy to use platform that I was able to easily adapt to when beginning to use it.

What do you dislike?

It can sometimes be very slow depending on which code you are processing.

We use Colleague as an institution-wide way to track and process information. It allows users to do multiple steps of a report at once.

AH

"Use it daily"

What do you like best?

Tabs are easy to navigate. Finding student information is fast.

What do you dislike?

Last names with spaces in between or hyphenated last names are always troublesome in a search. When having to decide how Ellucian would prefer the name to be entered (with/without a space, with or without a hyphen), valuable time is eaten up.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If a person has a common last name, considering searching with their first and last name for faster search results.

Colleague allows me to quickly call up student information pages for fast and accurate data entry.

"Easy to use across multiple departments"

What do you like best?

The program is relatively easy to use with drop down boxes that are simple to understand. It also helpful that accounts can be flagged and/or locked out for various situations like non-payment (etc).

What do you dislike?

You cannot open two accounts at the same time. Also, a single account cannot be checked by two users at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, you'll probably find uses for it.

It makes student management easier across numerous departments. It manages thousands of student and employee accounts. The program is also compatible with statistic pulling software and search programs.

"Not great"

What do you like best?

As an end-user, the reports are useful and the speed of reporting is adequate.

What do you dislike?

Although both our financial and payroll systems are running Colleague, the financial reports do not include encumbrances for salaries (!!), making it effectively useless as an end-user. Apparently we need to purchase yet another "module" of the software to link the payroll and financial reporting systems. In other words, a shake-down.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't listen to the salespeople, they don't know what their software is actually capable of doing. Speak to other users before making a decision, and be sure that you understand all of the various "modules" you'll require to meet your expectations.

Colleague was brought in to replace a mish-mash of home-grown systems. It has been a long and costly transition, but Colleague is certainly more robust than the older systems.

Coordinator of International Recruitment, Admissions Representative, DSO, ARO
Higher Education

"I was a user of ellucian banner for 1 year in a university setting."

What do you like best?

I liked the user friendliness and that all information that I worked with was on one screen for me to view.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the 'key codes' that I had to use or remember. I had a list that I just laminate and put on my desk and that was fine. I know there were ways to put in short cuts to those that made sense to the user but never had training to do that.

We are trying to make recruitment and enrollment as easy as possible for the university. We are able to have all important information and notes about the student in one accessible area for the whole campus which is amazing!