Code Academy

The easiest way to learn to code.

Work for Code Academy?

Learning about Code Academy?

Code Academy Reviews

Showing 22 Code Academy reviews
Code Academy review by Athanasios S.
Athanasios S.

"Great variety for basic learning"

What do you like best?

It has a high level variety of different technical courses and skills. Not everything is based on coding, there are several courses that can teach you the business side of things. Some courses will even help you prepare for any certifications that you are looking to take. You can find yourself finding a wide variety of courses that are based on a similar subject but each one can have a different learning style.

What do you dislike?

Some of the courses are not always helpful and can take a long time to go through. You need to really do your research prior to purchasing a course. You can find yourself paying for a course that can be actually found through a blog or article online. If you do not do proper research, you can find an instructor or course that will be difficult to follow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you do your research and read the reviews prior to purchasing a course. Some courses can take several hours to complete when you can find an article online. Looking for something dynamic that gives you basic fundamentals and allows you to build projects has been the most effective experience.

It gives you a basic understand of some fundamental coding concepts. You can keep track of the courses and skip through non essential steps. If you are tasked with a challenging business problem at work, this is an inexpensive way to pick up a specific skill quickly.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Code Academy
Code Academy review by Gubendran L.
Gubendran L.

"CodeAcademy is awesome for new learners or professionals"

What do you like best?

CodeAcademy helps based on our interest to find courses is good.

While we learning courses they provide documentation, code editor and running the code in the same browser without any hassle of installing services is also good.

Forgot everything on setup or go away to different browser tabs and focus only on coding and running and seeing the result in the same page avoid us a distraction and gives us more focus

What do you dislike?

Maybe they should have an inbuilt editor to save the files for future reference if require or push the code to git for future reference on what we practice is missing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, I would recommend new learners to IT, undergrads must try signing up.

For anyone to start their career on data science or web development or computer science they have set of packages included and helping to groom towards really benefits us to focus our carrier to the directive.

What Technical Skills Development solution do you use?

Code Academy review by Mia T.
Mia T.

"Great place for beginners to start!"

What do you like best?

Code Academy is a great place to start for beginners looking to gain a basic understanding of coding/programming. I have used this platform to begin learning basics of Python and Java and found the courses to provide a great baseline of information. I have only used the free courses for these two subjects, and it's comparable to similar online coding classes I've used. I have never paid for a course. The forums have been pretty helpful for questions during courses and clarification on subjects.

What do you dislike?

It can be a little difficult to really learn from Code Academy, though I am unsure whether that's a reflection of Code Academy or online learning as a whole. It presents basic principles, but I feel that there is a lot missing and a big learning curve that the courses fail to bridge. As someone who has a technical background through my education, I find a lot of the intro level courses are pretty bare so I can't imagine how I would learn if I did not have my previous background. I have never used the bootcamps or paid courses, though what I have seen from the free courses does deter me a bit from wanting to pay!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth a try! Always great to keep up to date!

I am using these to learn web development and to keep my personal coding kills in tip top shape. I am not using it expressly in my day to day, but I have used this as a way to keep my skills and stay up to date with latest coding trends and learn new languages.

Code Academy review by Sofia A.
Sofia A.

"Learn Programming step by step."

What do you like best?

Excellent learning platform, I love the teaching methods that it has since while it teaches you can go practice, I adore the learning panel that shows as it segmented very well the sections of reading, writing code and result, it is very didactic and simple , you can also find all kinds of programming language courses and frameworks, I am surprised also its load on the page, this differentiates it very well from other pages of courses, the truth is very interactive.

What do you dislike?

The progress depends a lot on the internet connection, if you do not have access to the network you can not do any course, also many times the code writing panel fails because it does not show the result properly and also when you manage to complete the challenge do not correct mark until reloading the page.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perfect to start and learn to program, has a free version with which you learn a lot, the examples are very clear and fun.

Excellent support for learning, thanks to the platform we can expand to new technologies and methods of use of programming language, besides it is indispensable a support or professional guide of any language base, we had many improvements with the hablidades and skills in the field of innovation of new methods.

"Great Resource"

What do you like best?

Code Academy is an amazing resource for many different learning opportunities. The most amazing part of this is that it is free!! I myself have went through many different software language courses and have truly enjoyed every single one of them. the courses/projects are designed in a way to help any level user to clearly understand the concepts.

What do you dislike?

I really like everything about Code Academy and how it implements everything. However, my only concern is that not everything is free. I wish there were more quizzes offered in the free option also, but I do understand the reasoning behind offering the Pro option. Other than that, I really believe this is an amazing opportunity that everyone interested must try.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Code Academy to your advantage. There are many opportunities to excel if you use Code Academy. The courses are definitely designed in a way to truly help any user to understand the material.

I love the ability to have access to many learning many opportunities at your fingertips. There are many various courses and many opportunities to excel in different many fields.

Code Academy review by Kevin Y.
Kevin Y.

"Learning code made easy"

What do you like best?

It had always been a dream of mine to learn programming because I consider it essential considering where the world is headed right now. My schedule was so tight and I could not find time to go learn programming in an actual class, so as I was searching the internet one night I came across code academy, at first I was skeptical because not so much can be trusted in the internet these days, but in the end I decided to check it out and since then I've never looked back. Courses in Code Academy are free, they have exercises after courses which helps you know if you understood a course. Code academy makes coding enjoyable since they are there to help where you're stuck or don't understand something.

What do you dislike?

Courses in Code Academy are majorly tailored for beginners and there are a few courses that cover advanced coding.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Code Academy is great if you want to learn to code in a simplified version because of how interactive their courses are and how they are broken down.

Code Academy offers free courses which you do not find with other platforms similar to Code Academy. Their courses are simple and easy to understand and which means you can learn a lot in a short period of time.

Code Academy review by Elizabeth L.
Elizabeth L.

"Great introductory product for non coders interested in learning how to code."

What do you like best?

Code Academy is an excellent tool for visual learners who wanted to see what their code is doing real time. It gives people a chance to dabble in basic coding without the risk of breaking anything important.

What do you dislike?

If you're looking to upgrade to pro, depending on your needs it can be a little pricey.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this product instead of blindly trying to learn by yourself. This gives you the right guidance to know what you're doing without being overwhelmed with the plethora of possibilities coding can provide. When you learn to swim, you don't jump start by jumping into the deep end, instead you go to the shallow end and learn how to tread water. Code Academy gives you the chance to tread water in the world of coding instead of forcing you to jump right in without a life jacket.

I've used basic code to visually change my company's website without the expensive cost of hiring a company to build or tweak the site. It's also a valuable tool to help introduce younger learners who are interested in coding, but don't necessarily where to start.

Code Academy review by Bailey H.
Bailey H.

"Super easy to use platform, use at your own pace! "

What do you like best?

I love that you can select which path best fits your needs and wants to get the best knowledge and skills from the course. You're able to narrow down the information to what best suits you, and there are a lot of different learning paths for learning coding or web dev. Super transparent, easy to navigate platform, and lots of different resources to assist you.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the variety of courses, and I think there is an opportunity to definitely open the platform to expand with courses on growing and coding your own online business, or social media platforms, etc. There are so many different roads that could be expanded upon, and so many interactive ways to learn coding depending on what you're looking for and why you need to learn to code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great way to begin coding at your own pace and to have a good understanding of the basics or how you and this is definitely one of the more interactive and fun platforms to learn on!

I like using Code Academy for learning basics of coding and better understanding HTML/CSS for my own personal use, and for my job. As a professional in the media industry, it's important to understand all aspects of the industry and basics, down to the lowest level such as coding and how pages are set up on the website and how I can alter the code to better assist my job.

Code Academy review by Tim P.
Tim P.

"Perfect for anyone looking to hone their programming skillset!"

What do you like best?

I love that I can follow along on interactive coding exercises for all types of programming languages at my own pace, and that it's free!

What do you dislike?

On a couple of occasions, the interactive exercises have glitched and not accepted my answer, even though it was correct. Unfortunately sometimes they need to match the "answer" 100%, even if the code is still technically correct (example: adding an additional line break or commenting out something).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking to learn a new language, or just need to brush up on your programming knowledge, I highly recommend giving Code Academy a try!

I'm learning to code in JavaScript and other various languages (Python, C++, and SQL), which is providing much needed knowledge and expertise to myself and offering additional tools for my employer.

Code Academy review by User

"Good starting point for learning to code!"

What do you like best?

Let's be clear, you will not be the world's best from this. But it's a good starting point! It's user-friendly for beginners, you have access to lots of different languages, it has a nice set-up (divided screen with theory, practice area, and real life results), the lessons are structured and paced well for beginners, no experience is necessary for starting, and there is a lot you can learn for free.

What do you dislike?

No real dislikes so far. I'm still new. I suppose it sort of starts slow and the jumps deeper quite fast or at least that's how I felt. I would also be interested to see reviews from folks who have used this for one or more years.

Learning basic skills

Code Academy review by Christy S.
Christy S.

"Makes Coding Seem Less Complicated"

What do you like best?

I like the interface and how easy it is to take a class. I started Code academy in a graduate course, and it was the fist time that HTML really made sense to me.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, I don't have any complaints. I guess sometimes there are almost too many choices of new classes which can be overwhelming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to try it out. If you are interested enroll in one of the free classes.

Learning basic coding.

Code Academy review by User in Design
User in Design

"Code Academy makes learning coding basics easy and fun."

What do you like best?

I love the interactive nature of their lessons. I went through courses as a refresher before beginning a job as a front end developer.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike, but one thing is that their courses and lessons are not very customizable, meaning you are only working on pre-designed projects. It would also be nice to offer advanced courses that are paid where you work with an instructor on projects of your own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free to start! I would just try it and decide for yourself.

Learning the basics of certain languages and getting a refresher on ones I am already familiar with. I've found that Code Academy is the best in the field.

Code Academy review by User in Computer & Network Security
User in Computer & Network Security

"Code Academy"

What do you like best?

It is a really nice interactive resource to learn about a lot of coding and programming stuff. It starts from a very basic level and goes up to developing apps in a slow step by step process. They have a vast variety of courses from all types of programming languages to frameworks and command line basics.

What do you dislike?

The dislike factor is not really much, its just that when I was learning using codeacademy as a student I used to feel that some of the pro features were needed but not affordable for me at that time. I wish there was an existing student discount for the same, which would have promoted it even more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a really good resource to learn new skills from beginner to advanced.

I have personally learned a couple of new things, thanks to codeacademy's interactive courses which helps in learning in a very new and unique way.

Code Academy review by User in Computer Software

"Helped me get into coding with no experience!"

What do you like best?

The Code Academy was something I came across as I was looking to understand coding from a basic level. This course provides all the necessary instructions to get you up and running and understanding code from the backend of things. It's very simple to use and walks you through all the steps at your own pace which is great.

What do you dislike?

Coding is hard! It takes practice practice practice but it's paid off. Working with the Code Academy has been frustrating only in the fact that coding is difficult. If you think that this will be a simple way to learn coding it absolutely is but don't expect results overnight. This is something that can greatly help you get on the right path to becoming an expert coder!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in the market to start coding this is the product for you! It's so simple to use and user friendly. I've always had this idea that coding is going to be such a grueling process. At times it can be very repetitive but when you see the final results it's so rewarding to see that all your hard work is paying off.

I've been able to help build my own website and do all my own coding! This has been an incredible experience to have the ability now to edit and make adjustments in whatever way I feel is necessary. Rather than have to pay out for coding externally I'm able to manage everything on my own. If you're wondering how to improve on design and have a website.

Code Academy review by User

"great product to improve technical skills"

What do you like best?

I really like how easy it is for true beginners to jump right into this. It is a fun segue into the technical world of coding. it's fun to use, but also gets progressively challenging as you progress through the levels.

What do you dislike?

sometimes the challenge level jumps too quickly... so in other words i would prefer to see incremental steps, but sometimes the instructions skip steps.

the business problems we are solving is the gap in knowledge between our programmers and folks on the product team who lack those skills. benefits we have realized are primarily communication issues, which is no small feat!

"Educational"

What do you like best?

I liked the variety that was available for learning and all the tools that were provided. A lot of the tasks were easy to following and I felt like I could implement the skills I learned.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much to dislike except that there was a paying option for premium other than that there was not really anything I did not like in my short period of using it

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think adding more courses would be good, as it would expand on the wide range of aspects that computer science has and it will provide more paths to follow or trial on

I feel that this is a good learning program to either get back into the basics or learn other aspects of the basics for different varieties of computer science

Code Academy review by Aminata D.
Aminata D.

"The simple fact that code academy really has the user thinking about the question."

What do you like best?

I love that there are several different programming languages to learn from and you can always reference back to the older exercises to see how you define certain variables.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when you move on to the more advanced programming classes it would be helpful to have more hints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

None what so ever I think code academy is getting better every year and has really useful tips on how to improve your knowledge by using their products.

None at the moment,

Code Academy review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"Simple and educational"

What do you like best?

Learn as you go. Everyone needs to start somewhere and this gives you the opportunity.

What do you dislike?

There could be more courses. I’d also like easier access on mobile.

When I need to brush up on my JavaScript, this is a great place to turn.

Code Academy review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great contents and fulfilling experience"

What do you like best?

Structured classroom work is very good, and takes you through all the vital parts of the different languages

Allocated a tutor who is very helpful and allows available to lend a hand.

What do you dislike?

Exercises should have more problems and should be useful to deal with real projects at work

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes,I recommend everyone to just give a try

I learned 'Full stack development' and it had a strong lesson structure. It helped me work on a development project

"Tech for everyone "

What do you like best?

The lessons make it easy for a beginner to pick up code quickly- the instructions are clear.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the pacing moved a bit fast for me

Back end code to manually change and design my websites

Code Academy review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Code Academy Helped Me Learn Quickly"

What do you like best?

Code Academy helped me learn how to code quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Some of the courses can be pretty long, but that's understandable when you are covering more complex topics.

The clear benefit here is being able to analyze and fix issues with code myself, rather than having to rely solely on other developers.

"Great MOOC platform!"

What do you like best?

I love everything! Especially the approach for students!

Thanks a lot!

What do you dislike?

We need to pay to get a certificate! Not everyone could do that

You do not need to go out from home to get skills

Learning about Code Academy?

* We monitor all Code Academy reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.