CloudBees CodeShip

CloudBees CodeShip

Codeship offers hosted continuous integration and deployment for your web apps, including rails, php, python, java or go apps.

Work for CloudBees CodeShip?

Learning about CloudBees CodeShip?

CloudBees CodeShip Reviews

Ask CloudBees CodeShip a Question
Delinda S.

"Fast and easy to develop."

What do you like best?

I have the ability to control my styling process which makes my work much better. I like that I can make builds concurrently so our creation teams don’t have to wait for any builds to be run. Also, I like that software is infrastructure is optimized for rapidity and automatically balance with our needs.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any question to this platform. I like all way of our interface. I guess all departments work well and don't make any harms.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely, I recommend to you this platform. Will always help you to create all projects with higher quality. You will have the opportunity to use the test system which is a big assistance for working team. All your work will be a balanced.

We have the better way of configuring potent deployment pipelines that run after all our tests have run. This platform allows us to set up deploy to where-ever we want. Also, helps us to work on our projects and test them. Much better work on all data.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about CloudBees CodeShip
Showing 153 CloudBees CodeShip reviews
Sandeep B.

"Highly recommended for end to end CI CD solution "

What do you like best?

I like the wide range of integration Codeship has with other CI tools and how easy it is to make them work together. We have been using the Pro account and we highly appreciate how well the Cloudbees Codeship marketing and engineering teams work with us and take our inputs and turn them into useful features.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike. If you do not like a feature or miss a feature, I recommend getting in touch with the Codeship team.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Codeship has a very good documentation online. I would highly recommend everyone to go through it in depth. If you do not find a solution, I recommend contacting them with the help/chat tool they have on the codeship page.

Codeship helps us catch issues at various stages of development and helps us produce more reliable product. By the time our products hit production, we are sure it is a stable version. We also use Codeship to deploy and deliver out products.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about CloudBees CodeShip
Josef B.

"Simple to start with flexibility at hand when needed. "

What do you like best?

We really like the ease of use and quick initial setup. CodeShip Basic was the easiest CI/CD of all those we tested and we use it since 2014. Even the simplest deployments like static microsites are now automated with build and deploy notifications in our Slack channel. We can also see continuous progress of improving UI and adding more features to the CodeShip.

What do you dislike?

CodeShip Basic is really simple to use, which means it is missing some features we would like to have, e.g. configuration in git, however those features are available in CodeShip Pro which is more complex to setup and manage. It would be great to see some Pro features in CodeShip Basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not hesitate to try out CodeShip. You can be up and running really quickly and easily. You can switch to CodeShip Pro later when more features and flexibly is needed.

Developer don't have to worry about integration tests and deployments anymore so they can focus on the code. Also they can build more often with smaller increments which leads to better code quality and faster delivery. With CodeShip we are releasing to production even on Friday afternoon.

What Continuous Deployment solution do you use?

Christopher L.

"Codeship, quick and easy setup"

What do you like best?

Codeship has a very simple and easy setup. We used the github integration and the codeship pro docker integration while it was in early access. The documentation is very helpful for setting up various use cases, but honestly their support is what really makes the experience shine. Any problems we had were always addressed promptly - shout out to Drew.

What do you dislike?

We dislike that there's no GPU support and using different remote docker registry is a little bit challenging. We also dislike that we can't set up some kind of authentication config across all our projects at once. Having a different codeship.aes key for each project is also a little bit annoying.

In general the web UI is a bit tough on browser resources and a bit sluggish. There can probably be a bit of polishing on the site.

We perform continuous integration and deployment to our kubernetes cluster in GKE. This automation has all the benefits that automation usually comes with. It removes user error and also helps us deliver changes into various environments we need.

It is also a great place to keep track of builds and regressions when they occur. They enforce testing in our development process.

Carlos R.

"Easy-to-configure continuous delivery & automated testing"

What do you like best?

- Automated tested deployments that nobody needs to worry about.

- Custom commands, like for example, make a db backup before deployment.

- Comes with pre-existing configurations for multiple platforms commonly used for small businesses.

- Customer support team has been helpful trying to identify issues and solving them.

- Github integration, we know if some pull request is working just by looking at the build status.

- Being able to use environment variables and conditions on the build, so if you for example have some specific branch that requires some different work, you can do so.

What do you dislike?

- Some statistics could be used to lead the clients know how their setup is performing, points to improve, etc.

- UI could get some work, for example when clicking "Builds" should take to the main project/builds instead of that page that shows builds but no "project settings" link or project name.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you don't want to lose time on coding custom deployments and want to get started right away (and focus on more important stuff) just sign up and configure your environment, 10~15 minutes and you will be ready to go.

Mainly the automated deployments without caring about database backups, migrations, compilation, etc. Commonly you require complex configurations in many tools to make it work just as easy. Another useful benefit is that, in an environment of continuous delivery, you have many pull requests every day/week, so you know if it has failing specs or if it's passing before merging.

Karl H.

"Consistency and continued improvement"

What do you like best?

I've used Codeship for many years, and have seen how the product has progressed, improved, and continued to be a reliable way to manage continuous integration. I haven't needed their support team much, but when I have they're quick and they know their stuff.

What do you dislike?

Setting up Codeship Pro takes a fair bit of knowledge about Docker. It's still much easier than building and maintaining your own CI/CD server, but devs unfamiliar with Docker will face a learning curve when switching to their Pro product.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use their CLI tool, Jet, to debug locally while you get everything set up. This saves you time from running all your builds in the cloud.

- We catch bugs before they go to production

- We save a lot of time and money not maintaining and hosting our own CI/CD servers

- Builds are fast and reliable

Mike W.

"Does everything my clients' need."

What do you like best?

I like the extremely customizable build & test configurations. I use Custom Scripts for all my builds, but it's nice to know the templates exist. Debugging is extremely easy too since I can SSH into the builds!

What do you dislike?

Most things about Codeship are just fine. I wish queueing of jobs was handled better, but I know they've recently been making improvements.

We use it to build, test and deploy our WordPress and Web Application builds for all our clients. Codeship allows us to deploy to AWS Opsworks for our clients who we host, and also allows us to deploy to client-side / on-premise servers too. Very handy, and extremely flexible. I have used other CI utilities in the past, but I wasn't as impressed with them as Codeship.

Juan G.

"Codeship Basic the easiest way to setup a CI for your project."

What do you like best?

I like how easy is to understand the CI process through the CodeShip PRO interface (Test PipeLines, Deployment, etc..)

What do you dislike?

I don't like CodeShip Pro. I understand that CodeShip PRO gives us full control of our Builds and basically we have a Container running on every push to do whatever we want. But I think there has to be a middle point where users can still use docker and also have the UI that helps them set up a CI/CD process following a set of steps. (Like CodeShip Basic).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would merge Basic and Pro.

My team doesn't have to worry about deploying their code. They can just focus on writing, pushing, and following our Git workflow.

Mark G.

"Flexible and approachable build infrastructure"

What do you like best?

You can get started with CodeShip quickly and easily, following their excellent documentation. CodeShip Pro makes for a very flexible environment.

The jet cli makes makes working with CodeShip Pro quick and efficient.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind just now. We've been happy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The documentation makes it straightforward to get started, and worth looking at.

The flexibility of CodeShip means we can manage our builds and deployments across a range of environments, all in one place.

We use CodeShip to build, test and release Docker-based Elixir application deployments to AWS, and also those that aren't containerised. We were able to quickly set up a build environment that matches our deployment target, and automate the full build-test-deploy process.

Gilles D.

"CodeShip: A devops saviour"

What do you like best?

CloudBees CodeShip has helped us automate devops processes without any hassle and limited in-house knowledge. It's very simple to use and works out of the box.

For us, Its integration with AWS has made deployment a breeze. All we have to do to deploy is push to our production branch. Our tests are executed by its CI which stops faulty builds, the CD picks that right up and does all the annoying parts that AWS has for us.

CodeShip has a comprehensive list of tasks that are generated through the specified commands.

You can easily follow the tasks and see its logs.

Failed builds indicate this on the GitHub PR and notify us in a Slack channel, which makes it very clear when an issue has occured.

What do you dislike?

In my experience as a user, there are not enough options to set permissions.

There are a few moments where I would have required the permissions to see or adjust commands, this currently is not possible without the owner giving me full privileges.

An annoyance when using CodeShip for personal projects is that you cannot disable it on specific branches, which can make CI and CD a bit slow when merging into other branches, that each trigger a build.

The price can be a bit steep for early start-ups or hobbiests.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely try it, there is a limited free use option that allows you to jump in quickly.

CI and CD, it speeds up these processes without any hassle.

Bruno A.

"Easy to get started with and deep enough to grow with your company"

What do you like best?

We started with Codeship Basic for most of our projects. This turned out to be super simple to set up and get running. Once the company grew and we needed more features out of our CI/CD system, we switched to Codeship Pro and found a deep and flexible feature set that allowed us to flawlessly deliver our code.

What do you dislike?

I was a bit underwhelmed with how the manual approval feature ended up working. I thought it would've been a good fit for our use case but that ended up not being true. I was also surprised to see no options for scheduling nightly builds, which required our team to build some more infrastructure to work around this limitation.

Using a managed CI/CD platform allowed our developers to ship code faster and more safely, all without having to manage the complicated infrastructure ourselves. This allowed us to focus our tech team in delivering core value for the business instead.

Brian W.

"Solid, well supported CI / CD platform"

What do you like best?

It's super easy to get your repos up and running. We had 10+ projects running builds within a few days.

What do you dislike?

Lots of your configuration comes via settings files -- this is good because it can be version controlled, but for us it sometimes meant modifying our build configurations could take longer than desired because code changes had to flow through a review process.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Figure out how many concurrent builds you'll need. This has the potential to stack up and cause pain when merging several pull requests.

We had issue with build speeds so we ended up needing workers with relatively heavy resources. Better solutions would be to figure out how you can divide up your tests into several builds, or write more efficient tests in the first place.

There are some competitors that have UI elements that allow more flexible customization / actions. This might be desirable to you, or it might be unnecessary.

I don't think there's any more debate that if you're serious about delivering quality software it should be backed by some kind of continuous integration / delivery system.

There's no reason to build this yourself, I've used Jenkins, etc and they're fine -- but it requires internal expertise and commitment to support something that isn't actually your business. We are happy to let someone else worry about it.

Emmy C.

"One of the fastest CI server"

What do you like best?

The process of setting up the CI pipeline is easy and intuitive, it is possible to track several projects. The documentation is well thought out. I really like Codeship because it's clean and easy to set up for people who are not familiar with testing. It's too easy to use the deployment script for code and the documentation also lags behind. They always publish new and interesting things from the industry, trying to keep up with the direction of the industry.

What do you dislike?

Support could be a little bit better. Not in quality, but in the time that is required for an answer. I received a good response within a couple of minutes, and now I wait for a couple of hours to get an answer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try using the free trial version of Codeship and you will be able to run working process in minutes. It's easy to use and one of the fastest to install CI servers that I've used.

We use Codeship to provide a consistent build process, start by checking the code and use it to test and deploy my applications. It ensures that our team has a single source of rights to build a simple and consistent method for deploying our application in various environments.

Valentine B.

"Simple and intuitive CI"

What do you like best?

The CI system is simple and intuitive. I also liked the user interface. It is worth mentioning about the documentation, it is so well written and helps to solve any problem.

What do you dislike?

I do not have enough plug-ins, I would like that their number was more. Also, the price is a bit high for a typical developer. Developers of Codeship can make several plans for independent developers and for large companies

Recommendations to others considering the product:

An excellent free plan, it provides great resources (as many as 100 builds per month, no limited number of users and an unlimited number of projects).

Our team tried many similar services, we tested Travis and TeamCity. Finally we settled on Codeship. In the beginning, we used a free version and it covered all our needs. But further, when our projects started to grow we bought a professional version and have not regretted about it because there is a Native Docker support in the professional version.

Delinda S.

"Fast and easy to develop."

"Easy to use "

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and simple to set up, no need for salespeople.

We use it for many repositories for continuous deployment which also makes it easier for new starters not having to understand the deployment process. Definitely has sped up our time to release which has been a big win for us saving time and bugs. The user interface is easy to use and clean with alerts and integrations in the likes of slack makes it easy.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing specific other than pricing which I would prefer to be a little cheaper as we're always playing of setting up our own jenkins build due to cost.

Also if their services go down this does cause up problems, however, it should be said that this is not often at all.

Shipping our products more often with continues deployment

Saving money by shipping more often and thus reducing bugs

Pablo L.

"Great for continuous integration"

What do you like best?

Codeship makes it simple to create a continuous integration step for our software. it provides all of the necessary tools to make development easy, and ensure that we can run all of our tests and any other necessary hooks every single time we push out code

What do you dislike?

It can be pretty frustrating that lower tier plans don't allow for parallel pushes. Even for a small team, it can become annoying having to wait for other code pushes before yours in sequence

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would consider the size of your team before you check out codeship, as well as your budget. it's not that expensive but if you need parallel pushes you need to upgrade. This has become quite a pain for us since we don't really want to pay more but it can get annoying to wait for other pushes. Make sure that the price makes sense for the features you need

Codeship allows us to have peace of mind with every push, to ensure that all tests and any other necessary preprocessing is completed every time. It makes it easy to continually push out code to all of our environments with the push of one button

"It works fairly well, but is a bit limited in scope"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the simple interface and low effort required to get off the ground. It's very easy to see what happened in my build without having to dig too far.

What do you dislike?

While the simple interface is nice, it'd be great to be able to scale to more threads without needing a custom-priced executive account and some additional configuration options built-in. I wish there was more data available related to build history metrics and overall time spent running - as it is we need to calculate these on our own.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to get up and running fast with no hassle, CodeShip is the way to go!

We have a large test suite, and running it locally is unrealistic. This allows us to be able to run our full test suite in parellel to our development process without locking up a local machine.

Logan S.

"The system of test for all of us."

What do you like best?

Much better ability to make setting across the web interface. I like that I have a chance work with general systems and workflows. Opportunity to monitor all my design process which really makes my work much easy.

What do you dislike?

As for me, the program is good but I guess that interface needs to be more colorful. All of the rest of solution is perfect. I wish that this platform will bring more updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Perfect software to have at the company. Will always help you to create all process on your projects. You will have plenty space for storage. Will gives you great working balance. I recommend it to you.

Actually, it is the best system which helps us to work on our projects and the ability of test them. We have a much better way of working with documentation. To install that program will not take long.

Emil A.

"Solid CI"

What do you like best?

It just works and doesn't require a lot of effort to set it up. The documentation is solid. I haven't encountered any issues within the last year. It would be great if other vendors would work in the same way.

What do you dislike?

No built-in code coverage. I need to use a service like codecov to handle it and I'd rather have one tool that's able to parse the reports and show as a page/badge. The setup takes time per every project and is annoying.

There is no paypal payment available (or there wasn't when I paid last time).

I need to use shields.io for standard badges, would rather include a standard looking badge from codeship directly.

We don't waste a lot of time on setting up the builds. Code has higher quality. We can developer features quicker. We ensure that the code is stable.

Facundo M.

"An outstanding platform to automate easily any kind of deployment"

What do you like best?

The simplicity with which you can automate your way into deploying almost anything.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is a little bit steep.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Codeship PRO version is the way to go. It really is incredible flexible and although it may have an steep learning curve at the beginning, it is very worthwhile at the end. It has let us to test and deploy services into AWS, Azure and barebones with the same simplicity and changing only the last mile of it.

Deploying everything, from full fledged monolith services, to serverless micro-services and configurations. Also to do integration testing more easily, and setting up tests for very big systems.

Jorge C.

"Excellent product with great assistance"

What do you like best?

I use it a lot, his documentation and also de jet cli to try to CI/CD steps in my local environment.

What do you dislike?

From a time to now the docker run is a little slower but it tolerable and also sometimes jet cli documentation is a little short.

We ensure that our code before go to our alpha environment run in docker with a very close enviroment than our alpha stage and if everything is ok it push fast to aws, so it help us to ensure and speed up our deployment process.

Julien M.

"Great product for new application using docker!"

What do you like best?

The pro version with the container native implementation, the possibility to encrypt sensitive information and the jet cli.

What do you dislike?

Don't know if cloudbees will change or stop the service later. But, it's just a concern and not something I'm afraid for now.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the CLI for validating your config and only use the PRO version with Docker, it's really the easiest way to use it and manage it!

Good cloud CI with encrypted value per project and with a nice CLI (jet)

Yogesh S.

"It lets me do my business"

What do you like best?

I'm kinda person who believe in taking full control. CodeShip lets me do it. I run custom scripts for pre check, post check and if something fails, CodeShip gives me ability to dive deep into the the problem by giving me access to the build system. Where me and my bash solves it all.

What do you dislike?

The pricing is little off the charts if you're individual and want to deploy your own application and manage it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you know your game and take full flexibility, CodeShip is the platform for you.

I had an application and one DevOps application to manage deployments. Since CodeShip let's me write my custom scripts. It's much easier to tame my deployments.

Kent S.

"Better of use"

What do you like best?

It gives me full autonomy over my creation workflows. Very easy to get to creation and production surroundings. Organization my teams and their team members become easier.

What do you dislike?

Very good to work with that solution. Easy to understand a doo all work. Connect to both, personal and social registries. No complaints about it at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great Software which will make you easy to get started your work. That program infrastructure automatically balances as your group will grow. Will helps you a lot.

Codeship lets us set up development to wherever we want. Codeship lets us focus on our product. We can quickly test and development processes. Great way to ship code. Great and super fast.

"Overall experience has been great. Minor issues with compiling builds."

What do you like best?

CodeShip is easy to navigate and use across the entire team. I especially enjoy being able to follow along with builds that are spread across a variety of third party integrations.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes CodeShip won't fail to build, but be stuck in a never ending cycle. If you don't check in on this, it will queue up any other builds that were processed after.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Always do your due diligence on any product. If it is necessary to meet business requirements, then it's probably worth investing.

Able to build to different bitbucket branches that are hosted on separate AWS servers which allows us to easily set up multiple locals for stake holders.

Yosi D.

"Would definitely recommend to a small size company"

What do you like best?

Everything about Codeship is straight forward, this allows us to add another project to our CI/CD pipeline withing minutes. It's a trade-off though, you don't get much control, but on the other hand, seems that everything is tuned properly in the first place.

What do you dislike?

In my experience there is somewhat weird behavior in terms of performance in the environment. Test would some time run 2x slower and even more than the usual without clear reason (could be the underlying infrastructure - could credits etc?).

Codeship covers most of our deployment process from the git push hook all the way to multiple deployments of lambda functions, and elastic beanstalk.

Alexander B.

"Really nice Support and good/easy functionality"

What do you like best?

The really nice support and reaction to tickets is very good. The web frontend is easy to use. And the overall system is well documented. The implementation of a new pipeline is also quite fast once you understand the system. You can also connect the system well to existing infrastructure. From ready deployment options to full custom scripts, everything is possible.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the build server slows down. I could only confirm that in the Basic variant.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have problems or ideas, ask Cloudbees support. They are really nice people.

Building our entire software solution. This consists of almost 10 single components.

Daniel O.

"Functional but small community"

What do you like best?

Codeship is really a nice tool and functional, it is reliable (more so than other concurrents) and it's support infrastructure is really nice.

What do you dislike?

It's not cheap and the community is not that big, making gathering information a little more difficult

Build automation, PR validation, code inspection and so on. We have achieved greater code quality control and faster deployment time.

Michal P.

"Using codeship for container base continuous integration"

What do you like best?

Out of the box operations with docker containers

What do you dislike?

Not very powerful testing instances for plans with few paralel builds - we dont need many paralel builds, but we need a lot of power.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for seamless docker based CI/CD, CodeShip is a good bet.

Continuous testing and integration. Early warning and notifications in case of unforseen build problems.

"Codeship made our work 100% more efficient "

What do you like best?

before we got Codeship, we had to deploy manually every thing, from dev environment, staging to live.

adding to the fact that takes a long time and process + resources, that was a faulty process.

with Codeship, now everything is easier, and we don't relay on the server people to deploy our work to see the results, just push and see the results

What do you dislike?

I would like to see a progress instead of just waiting with a spinner.

that, or at least to have a time estimation.

1- we cut a lot of unnessary time that we used to deploy.

2- any developer can test his own work without bothering the server people.

3- it's a huge overhead to even think about deployment as a task, now that is not the case with Codeship

"Decent CI platform"

What do you like best?

CodeShip is very easy to use; I was able to set up an integration for a new project in <10 minutes.

What do you dislike?

I get too many notifications for projects I'm not involved with, and must manage them via email filters because there are no project-specific notification settings at an account level. All the competitor CI platforms I've tried let you customize notifications on a per-project basis, or unsubscribe from certain projects without it affecting the rest of your team.

I've been able to automatically get feedback on failing tests, so I know when features are broken.

Nik R.

"Codeship is simple to use, getting you up and running without all the fluff"

What do you like best?

I like that there are no complex procedures or implementation details with Codeship. Link your repository, and run scripts in your codebase. Simple!

What do you dislike?

Builds can sometimes be flaky though that has improved over time. Speeds can vary but that helps you find race conditions! It would be nice for things to be faster across the board though.

We use Codeship for continuous builds on every code push, as well as validating builds for deployment. For many of our repositories, deployment is handled in Codeship after build pass using a custom script.

Logan B.

"Effortless and automatic "

What do you like best?

The post steps and ore steps allow you to customize your pipeline and bolt in other essential pieces for building and testing

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the UI shows double builds and some builds appear failed but are fine

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it for free it works and you won’t look behind you

Effortless deploys and saving time

Ovais S.

"Great help for an Analyst"

What do you like best?

It is a great tool to check the status of the build when something is deployed to production.

What do you dislike?

There could be health status UI tracking over time in the form of graphs

It gives power to the analyst to check the status of their commits to production without disturbing the data engineer

Pelle t.

"Great, reliable CI"

What do you like best?

Best: debug builds. Boot up a container that would run your builds and deployments, and give immediate SSH access to it.

What do you dislike?

The business model doesn't allow for our company to upgrade beyond 2 threads, but our product would greatly benefit from it. I would love to be billed per second of VM time rather than per VM that's available for builds, so we could scale up without paying much more.

Process enforcement, we're a very small team with a pretty big product, we don't have time to make mistakes

Yurui Z.

"fast, reliable, and easy to setup"

What do you like best?

Integrating CodeShip with Github is really easy.

The process for setting up the CI pipeline is very intuitive.

Being able to monitor multiple projects.

Good documentation.

Really good customer support! Our questions are answered quickly.

Being able to login to the VM via SSH is a huge plus to us.

Being able to setup test pipelines helped us to cut test time to half with no extra cost!

Free for open source projects!

What do you dislike?

Only 1 build at the same time for the basic plan.

Free plan limits to 100 builds per month - could be used within a day, if you commit as often as I do :)

No encryption of secrets

An easy and affordable CI solution for our developers. We are able to achieve that with Codeship! Setting up everything for a new project on Codeship can be done in a few minutes.

"2 Months in and Enjoy CodeShip"

What do you like best?

CodeShip feels simple and seems to just work from my experience. I value the Github integration and the simple UI of the application.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I feel that the console output view is cumbersome. Also, if a test fails, it would be excellent to create a functional link to the file(s).

The business problem being solved is allowing many autonomous teams to manage their codebases and services. The continuous testing that occurs invaluable. If it were easier to interact with test results, particularly failures, that would be fantastic.

John J.

"Must have for docker and kubernetes setups"

What do you like best?

Codeship has their own cli tool for dockerized containers called jet. It essentially speeds up local testing that mimics what will happen on the CI itself

What do you dislike?

I initially did not like all the extra yaml files I had to learn and tweak. I think jet could have an init with a walkthrough that can output yaml files. After I do it once thou I reuse it for all my other projects

Cut out a lot of time getting multi dockerized tests and deployment times

Pol M.

"Great app, better support!"

What do you like best?

Support has always been my favorite. Since the early days of Railsonfire it's been extremely helpful. The best is we have not needed it much anymore. I'm also a fan of the Codeship Blog.

What do you dislike?

At our company we have tried to push really hard to have immutable infrastructure with Docker. Codeship plays a big role for us and we ended up getting stuck because builds were very slow. Our excitement for the entire project ended up dying down as we experienced issues with caching and quite slower builds that we were used to (which has become an extremely nice feature us we do not want to give up). Now we don't have much bandwidth so we ended up not being able to use the docker images we spent so much time to get ready. Not saying it's a problem from codeship, but perhaps we felt a bit least heard than our previous experiences.

Continuous integration.

Very quick builds.

No need to manage infrastructure.

Simple to set up.

Paul S.

"Excellent tool for ensuring stability of deliverables"

What do you like best?

While working with an agency and third-party developers, I felt confident that CodeShip would keep an eye on the code base for me with the integrations we were using.

What do you dislike?

We ran into some weird access issues when jumping between Github directly into CodeShip, but I don't think that was directly related to CodeShip. Other than that it just "works".

CI directly integrated with Github for shipping deliverables. I can trust that our test suite and linters have been run directly inside Github.

Aaron M.

"Great overall CI and CD tool"

What do you like best?

We use Codeship to automatically run the test suite on our SaaS application (including browser-based integration tests) for every commit pushed to Github. This allows us to make sure everything works every time we update the code.

What do you dislike?

You can have tests running for two different commits on the same git branch at the same time. This works great for when we have two PRs merged into master at around the same time. Where this breaks down is in the deployment part of the build. When we have two builds trying to deploy to the same place at the same time, things get messed up. This is not uncommon for us, as merging a PR into master means an automatic staging deployment.

Also, to be able to restart a build, you need to be a manager within Codeship. This doesn't make sense to me, as our non-managers occasionally need to restart a build (often because we don't want deployments to step on each others' toes).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The only issues I've had are minor enough.

We're allowing everyone on the development team to contribute to our application quickly via continuous deployment. Using Codeship means that we can guarantee that tests pass without having to take the time ourselves to run the entire test suite every time.

Grant K.

"Great Experience"

What do you like best?

Stupid simple setup. If you use Bitbucket or Github, you can get your app's test suite up an testing in a matter of minutes.

I also enjoy that the company will respond to you on Twitter. It doesn't have to be in depth conversions, but just the fact that you can get a response, instead of just consuming a feed, it's a great differentiator from other companies.

What do you dislike?

Their support has fallen off since I started using it. Not in the quality, but in the time it takes to respond. I used to get a good response in the matter of a couple of minutes. Now, I will wait a couple of hours to get a response. It doesn't seem like much, but since I burning my own money and not a separate company's, when I run into an issue it is a big deal.

Knowing that our apps are in a working state when changes are made from different developers is a great relief. In the past, you would have to note all changes and make sure each dev ran their own tests. This way, we can guarantee that tests are being ran before pushing to a company wide preview site.

Austin R.

"Codeship - CI"

What do you like best?

I really like codeship because its clean and easy to set up for people who are new to testing. It is fairly easy to use a deploy script for code as well. The documentation was also amazing! They are always posting new and exciting stuff from the industry, trying to stay up to date with the direction of the industry.

What do you dislike?

I found it rather difficult to integrate failures in testing that depended on services that were not on the VM. It also did not offer RKT support for when we were considering it. I would also say that it would be nice to see it integrate with other services such as HoundCI to allow stylistic checks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend codeship if you fit in what they offer or use docker for you builds and tests but make sure that you use the correct exit code from the container.

We were aiming to solve Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery which made us realize that these were very important for our company to succeed with our code. This allowed our developers to make it a priority to test their code and to make sure that simple arguments were avoided such as style and coverage.

Paul E.

"The learning curve is just Docker"

What do you like best?

Codeship's docker infrastructure is just docker. There is practically nothing other than that to learn. It's great for continuous integration/delivery/deployment as code because your pipeline definition (2 yaml files) lives right along side your code and gets updated with the same git commits. That gives you all the benefits of '* as code' and the price is very reasonable (not much more than the AWS resources it runs on). You don't have to establish another CI/CD team to maintain the pipelines if you don't want to. Your own developers/domain team can do it as long as they know docker. Plus, as a PAAS solution you don't have to manage the servers the system runs on.

Jet is great to test your pipeline locally before committing it.

What do you dislike?

The docker containers for your pipeline run in EC2 instances and they are recreated every time you run your pipeline. This is for security so no other customers run in your EC2 instances. The downside is it takes a few minutes for the pipeline to start running. Codeship said they are working to make this faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you don't already have a CI/CD infrastructure in place and are looking for a PAAS, docker solution, Codeship is the best I have seen so far.

CI/CD without the learning curve or maintenance cost of non-docker solutions.

Claudio F.

"Simple Intuitive Continuous Delivery"

What do you like best?

It is seemingly easy to use and has tons of different integrations. It also provides me a neat trick to skip the integration whenever it's necessary, simply by using a --skip-ci comment along with my git commits. It's easy to track the bug and promptly have it fixed, so it has sped my development cycle a great deal.

What do you dislike?

The overall UX is not bad, but still needs a lot of improvement. It took me quite a while to realize that in order to switch projects I needed to press my current project name so a dropdown would appear. Also integration with bitbucket is somewhat hidden from the user's hands.

Like I said, gotta do some improvements in the UX design.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Codeship is a simple to use, to understand and configure continuous deploy and integration tool. It also has some neat tricks/hacks one can use through the bash, in order to accomplish some other possible side tasks. I do it a lot!

I needed to avoid committing broken code to my repository, which on its turn is also being integrated with my server. So, every time I accidentally committed a code that contained a bug my release server went down. So, I saved, logically, a lot of headache by doing such a simple and elegant continuous integration through Codeship.

Kyle M.

"Painless CI"

What do you like best?

The best part about codeship is how easy it is to setup and get started. Easy hookup with source control at github, easy configuration of tests to run, easy deploy to AWS.

What do you dislike?

I would like a bit more notification. At one point, Codeship notified me when a build was initiated and by whom. That notification is no longer available, and I found it useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check out codeship for their free trial. See how quickly you can get up and running... and use it for a bit. One of the biggest differences I noticed from other tools I have used is how infrequently things go wrong. It just works!

We wanted to solve the problem of stale deployments... and Codeship and a Continuous Integration tool has resolved that issue for us.

Every checkin to our development branch goes right to our test environment. It is easy for our QA team to see what our developers are doing. It's also easy for a developer to verify that a fix doesn't just "work on my machine."

Brad B.

"Intuitive Deployment Automation"

What do you like best?

Codeship is an amazing tool that allowed us handle our automated testing and deployments to Heroku. We use BitBucket for source control, and were able to easily map our repositories to our Heroku pipelines so we can use different branches for different apps. I tried setting up Bamboo (Atlassian suite), which was a nightmare even though it is cheaper. You can get setup on Codeship in a matter of clicks.

What do you dislike?

It's trivial, but fast forward merges have to have a distinct commit in order to trigger a push on Codeship. We use it with Heroku (for multiple apps, with one app being the "billing" app), so it is confusing sometime which user you are logged in as.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Codeship works with a lot of cloud PAAS providers, and a few source code services (GitHub and BitBucket for sure). It is easy to add environment variables, specify scripts to run during the build process, and

Continuous integration and deployment. Codeship allows us to focus on code, and not on automated testing or deploying code to Heroku.

AI

"Helping us shipping high quality code"

What do you like best?

We're using CodeShip for 4 years and are extremely happy about their offering. It was easy to setup and integrate in our existing GitHub workflows.

It's very fast, reliable and helps a lot in making sure all code pushes gets tested automatically.

What do you dislike?

We haven't seen any downsides so far and did not encounter any long downtimes.

We're using the automated tests there to make sure that our developers do not forget about any side changes they might introduce.

Samuel B.

"Simple and Powerful Continuous Delivery"

What do you like best?

Intuitive and well thought out UI with powerful features that work consistently. I know that if a build fails it is due to my code or tests and not an issue with the platform. Having that confidence reduces troubleshooting time and helps to pinpoint issues quickly.

What do you dislike?

It would be great to have more than one choice of build operating system but that might sacrifice consistency and simplicity. I would love to see a Mac OSX build option to create iOS apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give Codeship a try using their free trial and you will probably be up and running in a matter of minutes. This is easily one of the fastest to setup CI servers I have used.

I use Codeship to ensure a consistent build process starting with code check-in and using it to test and deploy my applications. Codeship has ensured that our team has a single source of build truth and an easy and consistent method for deploying our application to various environments.

Dieter G.

"Good build pipeline with seamless Bitbucket integration"

What do you like best?

I like best that the integration into bitbucket was easy. As well that we found prepared docker containers for our AWS deployments that solved the problems with token timeout of ECR.

I also like the local tool for tests 'jet'. It make it easy to test and run the pipeline.

What do you dislike?

It was sometimes a pitfall that containers between steps don't share anything, so new developers were often mislead.

We solve the CI/CD to AWS pipeline with it.

Learn more about CloudBees CodeShip

CloudBees CodeShip Videos

Learning about CloudBees CodeShip?

* We monitor all CloudBees CodeShip reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.