Cision Database

3.9

Cision Communications Cloud delivers the most comprehensive influencer and media database for communicators. Identify where your content can hold the most value and impact to customer behavior to create compelling campaigns

Work for Cision Database?

Learning about Cision Database?

Cision Database Reviews

Ask Cision Database a Question
Showing 336 Cision Database reviews
Cision Database review by Maggie B.
Maggie B.

"Cision Staff Makes Product Invaluable"

What do you like best?

While Cision does an adequate job of meeting my needs, our Cision account manager Claire McDonough and the Cision support staff go above and beyond to make sure that you are getting the most out of their service, which makes the product far more invaluable than any other grassroots database I have used/previewed. They have done such an excellent job, particularly explaining and training on the features available on their platform, that we have recently transferred all of our grassroots database services under their purview (we previously were using 2 additional companies in addition to the cision database).

What do you dislike?

From time to time I discover a function in their database that seems like it should be there (for example, being able to extract data in a specific format) but does not exist. However, when this happens the Cision team has done an excellent job helping me find a work around to achieve my goal, and if that is not possible they have created additional reports on the backend of their system so that I am getting what I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

I manage our grassroots database for a trade association of approximately 30,000 members. Cision has helped me keep all of our contacts and interactions organized and easily manipulated to make the best use of our data. The reports, specifically the custom reports feature has also been incredibly useful when building reports for both our general membership and our Board of Trustees.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Cision Database
Cision Database review by Lindsay S.
Lindsay S.

"Good Database"

What do you like best?

I like that you can search for journalists based on keyword and even select where that keyword appears in their profile. So I can easily gather every radio station contact that has "news" included in his or her job title, or in the contact's description, etc.

What do you dislike?

My least favorite thing is that you can't search by DMA or radius in Canada. This tool is very handy in US searches. But when it comes to Canada, I have to stare at a map to make sure I've got all the contacts in the area, but not contacts that are too far away. I dislike that you can't upload a logo to the top of your press release distributions -- you have to have access to a website in order to turn your logo into a link.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is a good media database and a good system for distributing press releases via email. It can be difficult to include a logo at the top of your press release -- you need access to a website in order to turn your logos into links. My recommendation is to talk to all media database companies in order to get the prices down.

We used Cision for several years, strictly for creating media lists and distributing press releases by email. Before this, we used Vocus. Cision works fine. Next month, we're switching to Meltwater simply because of the cost savings. It'll be interested to see the differences.

What Media and Influencer Targeting solution do you use?

Cision Database review by Vincent C. S.
Vincent C. S.

"It's not the end all be all"

What do you like best?

Cision is a fantastic option for jumpstarting a search; if I need to know what publications exist for a specific beat, this tool serves as a proper resource. General inquiries are where Cision software thrives. Larger publications and non-trades seem to be the best fits for accurate targeting. When drawing closer to the trade publications, things get a bit messy and at times, we end of pitching irrelevant info to reporters.

What do you dislike?

More times than not we only uncover a bunch of non-pr contacts who either switched positions or beats. The more specific the reporter beat, the higher the likelihood that there's a mistake. In theory this could be the ultimte tool, but it lacks timeliness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the contacts with a grain of salt and make sure that you're doing your own research as well. Cision is not the end all be all of media targeting.

Identifying publications to pitch for client news.

Cision Database review by Mackenzie S.
Mackenzie S.

"New Improved(?) Cision"

What do you like best?

I like Cision because it gives users a comprehensive database with top-tier, trade, blog and international outlet insights. They do a pretty good job at updating the webiste and I like that the new version gives more background on how to pitch/contact reporters.

What do you dislike?

Okay... I am very used to the old Cision, which was a million times easier to get the email/number of a contact without going to a new page. So I don't like this two-step process. I also don't like that they have now separated a lot of the outlets into individual bureaus. Before I could look up Fortune and get Fortune's bureaus, international and online reporters in one line. Now I need to download them separately. They have also removed some of the filters we used to be able to use, and that is also frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to the program you will like it a lot. If you have used it in the past and will restart using it, be aware that the changes they have made make the program less user-friendly.

We use Cision to pull media lists to pitch and as a source to get outlets insights, like circulation. I don't think we "realized" anything, we know what we were paying for.

Cision Database review by Julie R.
Julie R.

"Great database, but not always up to date"

What do you like best?

I use Cision for its media database and press monitoring. It's a great place to start when building a comprehensive media list, complete with contact information and social profiles. I love that the reporting shows media impressions, PR values, and gives many options for fields to include.

What do you dislike?

Many times, the data is not completely up to date, or some press that I've worked with are not in the database at all. It can be hard to track moves or new writers. Additionally, the press reports are great but not as thorough as a search on google. I love seeing the PR values, but they sometimes seem so exaggerated it's sometimes hard knowing what is fact.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is one of the most complete databases out there. However, some media contacts can be out of date - which I know they are working on making that more in-the-moment. Also, I love press monitoring, but not all of my actual earned coverage will show up!

Cision is a great media database. The search is vast and includes so many contacts that might not be searchable on regular social media profiles or on media websites. I also have recently been taking advantage of the press monitoring - which is really helpful but not as complete as I'd like it to be.

Cision Database review by Brooke G.
Brooke G.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

I love Cision because it makes it very easy to find contacts at the PR firm I am working at. I am an intern and a big role I play is finding contacts for various media outlets and Cision makes that very easy to do!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I struggle with finding information when I'm looking in a specific region. It gets confusing when you are looking at specific cities and states and sometimes the search will get cleared and you have to start over.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend using Cision to anyone looking to easily find contact and other valuable information from media outlet sites!

The only issue that I have noticed with cision is that not all media outlets are available, which is to be expected but I would definitely love to know how often it gets updated. It definitely helps our PR firm to get necessary contact information very quickly and effectively! Especially when we are looking for emails and the UVMs of outlets.

Cision Database review by Lauren S.
Lauren S.

"Useful PR and media relations tool"

What do you like best?

Cision has been a great tool and very user-friendly! The team has been more than helpful in training us and tailorign that training to our specific needs. The database has been a time-saver, and we love the media monitoring!

What do you dislike?

Aside from a few glitches here and there, there is not much to dislike about Cision. We use the media list a lot and it helps us be able to send pitches to the right reporters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with your rep who can be very helpful. We had ours come to our office and teach us about features we didn't know. Their media database is the best and accurate and I've used many systems.

We are a small media relations team and we use Cision to search for an pitch journalists across the country.

Cision Database review by User

"So useful!"

What do you like best?

I like that you can use the platform to find contacts directly without having to spend hours trying to search through different sites. This streamlines the entire process and they are excellent at keeping an updated database so you aren't contacting people who have left an outlet. It's time consuming when you email the wrong person and have to find their replacement. Cision does the work for you!

What do you dislike?

I dislike the new layout of the website. For some reason, I was so accustomed to the old platform style that it's become a hassle to learn the new functions and features. I personally prefer the old layout and find that it was much easier to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth the investment! If you want to take your small business to the next level, this helps you get on the right track by emailing the right people.

This saves time and client hours because you are able to find who you need to reach with one click. It's benefitted the quality of service that we provide and also allows us to develop stronger media lists that in turn give the brands we represent more exposure.

Cision Database review by Anna S.
Anna S.

"Necessary for the PR business, but could be improved "

What do you like best?

Cision usually has the information you need. It has reporter contact info, it's usually up to date, and it will usually tell you if a person has moved publications. It can also be helpful at finding reporters you might not have considered.

What do you dislike?

It is by no means exhaustive or totally up to date. Many many times I've found information that was out of date or just incorrect, and very often vital information won't be included. I understand not all reporters want to share their cell phone numbers, but it makes for a very incomplete service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think hard about the cost. It's still very expensive, and if you have the time, you can find nearly all this information yourself.

We have to get in touch with reporters, and Cision makes that easier. It's still a necessity for the PR business, as annoying as it can be sometimes.

Cision Database review by Kate S.
Kate S.

"Cision is very helpful when finding media contacts. "

What do you like best?

I like that Cision is very straightforward. At my PR agency, we need to find reporter's email addresses and phone numbers. Cision is incredibly user friendly and works well for what we need it for.

What do you dislike?

I don't love the press list building function. I typically build my own press lists rather than utilize their online structure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is very helpful for finding reporter's contact information. I don't use it for many of the other things it offers, but I would assume they're doing a great job all around.

Prior to Cision, we had to call news outlets in order to locate reporter's email addresses. Now, we can simply type in the name of the reporter we're looking for and quickly and easily find their contact information.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision is a terrible choice for media monitoring"

What do you like best?

I guess if asked what I like best, I would say the contact search is probably it. I will say Cision manages to keep their contact database mostly up-to-date and relevant. The DMA feature when searching is very relevant and something Meltwater could not offer when I was a user of that product.

What do you dislike?

This is not a true user-friendly experience. You must contact your Cision rep to update your search terms, which is just silly. I also get TONS of totally irrelevant media clips in my daily reports. Also, half the media clips don't link to anything because they came from LexisNexis, which you need a separate login for (and I believe a separate paid subscription.) I came from a company using Meltwater and I can attest that Meltwater is light-years ahead and way better, even if they have some of their own glitches--at least you can change your own search terms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly, highly recommend that you take your time and see if you can do a live trial of Cision before signing a contract. We did a webinar with them at my previous company and I thought Cision looked awesome and like it would fit our needs better than Meltwater--I couldn't have been more wrong. We ultimately ended up sticking with Meltwater due to Cision's price, and thank goodness for that. Cision is like a barely-functioning, overpriced dinosaur compared to Meltwater. I probably sound like a paid ad, but seriously my experience has been that bad with Cision.

We use Cision for media monitoring. I honestly think we're wasting our money. We use a separate program to send out news releases because Cision is already so expensive. I don't think we're solving any problems or gaining any benefit by using this product. I just really have been unimpressed by how non-user-friendly this program is and how much it underperforms the competition.

Cision Database review by Consultant in Higher Education
Consultant in Higher Education

"Cision Database Review "

What do you like best?

I like the navigation page Cision provides. It finds sources very quickly and includes not only the title of the person and their outlet, but also contact information and a little more about the person as well. You can also save your searches which is helpful.

What do you dislike?

Although the navigation page is helpful, I found Cision to be a little confusing at first. I was unsure how to find certain pages and it took me a little while to figure out where things were and how they worked.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very useful.

I have been able to find contacts that I needed to reach out to. Being able to specify certain areas in my searches has also helped me locate people near me who could help me out.

Cision Database review by Emma C.
Emma C.

"Excellent way to build strong lists."

What do you like best?

Easy to search; love the influencer search capability; saved searches and monitors are great for keeping track of clients. Finally, their team is usually very responsive.

What do you dislike?

Influencer searches could be stronger. Why only include Twitter? How do you really measure influence? If they're measuring klout, or other vague social media influence metrics, there should be more than one site connected. Especially LinkedIn. That could be a great integration- if journalists start to leverage LinkedIn more.

Searching for coverage could also be more easily filtered. Having individual dashboards for clients would make sifting through the mountains of articles way easier. Cision already saves time by keeping everything centralized- making that experience even better would blow it out of the water!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really easy to use for list building! Trustworthy as well. I don't think their social tool is as strong, but it could still be beneficial to a company looking to monitor all of their media in one place. (Social included!)

Building strong, relevant lists for clients quickly. Having easy information available so readily can be helpful with clients that require a lot of attention and outreach.

Cision Database review by Fanny Carolina Z.
Fanny Carolina Z.

"Cision - A Must Have Tool in Communications"

What do you like best?

A must have tool for any marketing, PR, advertising, or communications agency targeting press and influencers. It's a great resource for finding contacts. The layout also makes it very easy to use and to monitor specific media hits.

What do you dislike?

Social media targeting can be a bit dated and there some editors from high profile publications whose names and contact information is not available. There are quite a few people in the communications and media field, so it must be hard to keep track of everyone, especially since people are constantly shifting to new positions. However, being a little more thorough never hurts!

Recommendations to others considering the product

In addition to being great communications software, there customer support team is always prompt and happy to help with any questions or troubleshoot issues you may be having.

The benefit of not having to call publications to ask for contact information is priceless.

Cision Database review by Lauren B.
Lauren B.

"Using Cision for PR/Crisis Management"

What do you like best?

Creating tailored media lists with as broad or targered parameters as I need. I enjoy having the option of having a really broad list that casts a wide net or building a small, extremely specific list that only targets about 30 people. The flexibility and access to so many people is a great advantage.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally I cannot export my media lists into Excel, which is frustrating. Occaionally I have to type out my entire list manually from the web into Excel and it wastes a huge amount of timel If that glitch could be solved most of my problems with Cision would be solved as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to go through a detailed tutorial to really learn about all of the features Cision can offer.

I'm solving the issues of not being able to find a reliable contact address for reporters, outlets, etc. Sometimes the information I find is either outdted or irrelevant, which is disappointing.

"Useful Platform"

What do you like best?

Cision is great when it comes to collecting information on influencers and media outlets.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of getting used to to be used effectively. Additionally, information is often outdated or lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm sure we are not using Cision to it's full capacity. We use it for a very specific needs, new users would probably do well to explore further.

Cision is great for looking up influencers in a bind. If I need an email quickly, I go to Cision. Occasionally I also use it to discover new outlets and influencers I had not found elsewhere. As for the other elements of the platform, lack of user friendliness and the availability of other simple options (such as for social media managing) are barriers to use.

Cision Database review by Alyssa Marie H.
Alyssa Marie H.

"Good idea but hard to use interface"

What do you like best?

It was great being able to see all the media contacts relavant to your organization within a certain distance. I enjoyed using key word searches as well as finding all media mentions of our organization. The option of the contact information is helpful including preferred contact method for said contact.

What do you dislike?

The interface is hard to use and is extremely hard to search in an efficient manor. For example, I'm looking for all media sources that could be interested in writing about interior design within 100 mile radius of Chicago. Once the search results pop up it's difficult to see if the company is really a good match for your organization. Also, would be nice if there was a way to directly contact them through CISION. The contact information needs to be updated. Many people I tried calling had left the company years ago which resulted in an embarrassing apology on my part multiple times.

Our organization was trying to get a good idea of our media reach as well as potential new meda outlets for our organization to reach out to with press releases.

Cision Database review by User in Higher Education

"Cision Review"

What do you like best?

It makes it easier to create press lists for multiple markets at once, which is essential for the massive pitches we send out weekly. It also makes it easier find outlets in different DMA markets (local and national) and track press placements we wouldn't normally find online and also see their overall press value.The analytics would be very beneficial for my team, but we do not pay for that feature.

What do you dislike?

I have run into many occasions where the contact information is incorrect and I either get a bounce-back email or a very angry response. Cision also does not pick up as many press placements as I would like. I tend to find more on Google or through a very specific online article or blog search than on Cision. It can't pick up a name that has been hyperlinked, which I have talked about with my sales rep many times! Annoying! I think by now, that should be something that can be fixed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're wanting it for media tracking and contact searches, I highly recommend!

Finding more contacts that are difficult to find on a typical web search is the biggest advantage it gives us, but we are also able to see a bunch of media placements at once and are able to see the value of our press placements, which we have to report on - although the numbers usually seem a little off. Some outlets are much higher than I would expect, and reverse.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

Lots of data available through this platform. Cision makes it easy to pull reports, and provides access to both media contacts and helpful resources. There are some good articles online, and even though some contacts are out of date, overall most of the lists provide access to the latest information.

What do you dislike?

Don't like the updated Cision platform (search feature). Preferred old Cision. New search function is not as intuitive or easy to navigate, although the design is clearer and bigger.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a helpful tool with a number of resources relevant for a variety of needs. Very helpful in connecting with people and building networks. Design could be improved but overall a good tool.

Benefits include ability to reach a wider group of influencers and media, able to customize and sort lists so that I am targeting a more specific group of relevant contacts.

Cision Database review by Claire C.
Claire C.

"Headache"

What do you like best?

Cision allows you to export the results of a database search, even though the export tool is wonky and in a format that needs to be converted.

What do you dislike?

Database is not up-to-date. Menus are lengthy and search offers you to specify criteria that it seems to not actually have data for, not to mention that you don't even know what some of them refer to. For example, when I export a list of coverage there are about 50 options for data types that I can include in the spreadsheet ("Collateral attach extension", "news aspirational peers mentions" etc.). Why can't I get basic impressions/view counts for all of the coverage I pull?

The search function also misses a lot of articles, so I end up having to go back to Google News anyways. Not to mention I have to copy and paste all of the URLs into my spreadsheet b/c for some reason Cision can't export those

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't do it, there are better tools out there, both in terms of user friendliness and data accuracy.

I'm trying to measure the business value of our PR activities. Very few benefits so far.

Also trying to find influencers to target, but the contacts that Cision surfaces are totally irrelevant.

Cision Database review by Savannah J.
Savannah J.

"Cision is useful, but the information could be more up to date"

What do you like best?

I like the search function the best. When I am looking for media targets in a certail location that cover a certain area, it is very useful.

What do you dislike?

I've found the information is sometimes out of date. Reporter information needs to be updated on a more current basis. I've found services like Gorkana and MuckRack typically have more up to date (even real-time) contact information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is great for media and PR needs

The main problem is outdated contact information. It is beneficial to have the descriptions of the outlets and information on circulation/reach. I don't use Cision for any sort of monitoring, I only use it for media targeting.

Cision Database review by Mike P.
Mike P.

"Great Resources for PR Pros"

What do you like best?

I know there are others in the market, but I don't think any other software compares to Cision when it comes to media database details. We used it for list building and some reporting. I loved it for list building.

What do you dislike?

Edcals never really seemed to line up with the publications. I realize that's a tough one, but it would have been a great feature to see work the way it was supposed to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I said before, there are a few other players in the space, but I don't believe the others compare. It's a reliable tool and an absolute necessity if you're working in PR or marketing communications to have a subscription.

Simply put, you need good media contacts to be successful in PR. Cision made it easy to identify the right reporters to help spread our clients' message.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Easy to use Tool for PR Novices and Pros Alike "

What do you like best?

It's easy to quickly look up press contacts, create and export lists and use filters to sort and find exactly what information you need. Press contacts can be outdated and need to be updated more frequently.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to find what you need if you don't know the exact spelling or call sign of the station or show. The database needs to be updated more frequently when journalists change outlets or positions. The "opportunities" functionality can be lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't think there's a better program out there. It's the best one on the market.

We want to be careful stewards of our time -- so having a program that allows you to create and update press lists quickly is a huge benefit.

"Great PR Tool"

What do you like best?

Cision is a great tool for identifying media influencers and reporters. It is fast and easy to create media lists and manage your relationships through this channel. The media updates they provide are also helpful.

What do you dislike?

I've found that the contact information in their database is often out of date. The database also does not recognize duplicate contacts, or offer a very useful explanation of if a writer contributes to multiple sources.

Cision saves me a significant amount of time when going through the basics of media relations, especially media and influencer targeting. Although this is our primary use for Cision, we have experimented with social and PR analytics as well and have found it to be a useful tool. The team at Cision is very responsive and always available to offer timely support.

Cision Database review by Lindsey L.
Lindsey L.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

Cision is the best database for compiling targeted media lists. The customer service is fast and efficient, and they validate all requested contacts before adding them to the database.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the search parameters aren't ideal. Before they revamped Cision a few years back, you could create a newspaper list based on circulation, and that is no longer available. The "top 100 newspaper" search parameter was helpful. Clients often want to target the top 50, 100 or 150 newspaper outlets nationwide.

My firm uses Cision to determine the best target media and influencers for client campaigns. Cision also serves for reporting results, as we use the website to reference circulation, unique monthly website visitors, etc.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision is invaluable to any PR firm, with some caveats to consider"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision has a clean UI and is easy to use. Training is minimal, about 3-5 days tops. The incorporation of predictive search makes search queries quick and painless, learning with each use. Finally, the reliability of Cision, a SaaS known to many within the industry, is very helpful for researching unique visitors per month (UVM) and reach for influencer marketing and outlet ranking.

What do you dislike?

Despite the wonderful search capabilities, Cision can be very slow during searches. The database isn't always current, as we have found several notable publications and journalists are missing. So often, we have to update our contact databases ourselves.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're going to use Cision, make sure you can handle outdated information and slow customer support. Ideally, I believe if Cision improved the overall customer experience, their churn rate might not be nearly as high.

With Cision, we were seeking to streamline our contact database. Using a service like Cision should be easier than doing it yourself, right? Oftentimes, it was. However, as the database was outdated on several occasions, we were constantly contacting Cision to make updates. The benefits were that we were able to keep our contact management and outreach in a central location, instead of spanning across several spreadsheets.

Cision Database review by Amy R.
Amy R.

"The best tool for media monitoring"

What do you like best?

Within the PR division, the database of reporters is constantly updated by the Cision team. List-building is easy and intuitive.

What do you dislike?

Sending emails from within Cision does have the "unsubscribe" along the bottom, which may come across to reporters as spam. However, it's only fair to say that the "unsubscribe" is a legal requirement for all services such as Cision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision has so much to offer in terms of media monitoring, press release distribution, and social influencers. I'd recommend initially setting up a series of calls with Cision to make sure you're using the platform to its fullest potential.

Cision makes it easy to expand media contacts and explore new reporters / beats.

Cision Database review by Laura L.
Laura L.

"You will not find a more comprehensive database"

What do you like best?

I like all of the updates that Cision has made into making it easier to search journalists, influencers and other contacts in broadcast through their comprehensive database. There really isn't a comparison.

What do you dislike?

They have updated many of the things that were issues in the past. It would be nice to be able to manually migrate lists instead of having to contact our rep. to do so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are on the fence, try it out. It really is the best out there.

We use this day to day, without it we would need to do this through Google and it would be a time suck.

Cision Database review by J.R. D.
J.R. D.

"HARO is a Great Resource"

What do you like best?

We use Cision's HARO to get sources for stories and also contribute our insight for other stories. It's an excellent tool for that.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are queries from "reporters" whose platforms are small but have somehow bypassed HARO's rules for minimum Alexa ranking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The more you use it, the more familiar you'll get with which queries and responses work and which don't.

It's a good way for us to get our name out and build credibility.

Cision Database review by Consultant in Marketing and Advertising
Consultant in Marketing and Advertising

"Cision has its downfalls, but there aren't many other options out there"

What do you like best?

It has a pretty robust database. Making and exporting lists are easy. It's much easier to compile media lists than using Google or other programs. I appreciate the media monitoring function; it makes tracking broadcast clips very easy.

What do you dislike?

The interface isn't super user-friendly. A decent amount of reporter contact info is outdated. Sometimes we have to supplement our reporter research with Google searches. I don't like that you can only find social influencers on Twitter but no other social media platforms.

We identify and compile appropriate reporter contacts, export media lists and use them to distribute our press materials. I used to use the media monitoring function, which I found very useful, however our current budget does not allow us to have this.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"A good place to start your research for media contacts"

What do you like best?

I enjoy how large the database is for Cision the best. It has most media outlets in there, including many smaller publications.

What do you dislike?

The information is not always up to date, and I always supplement what I find in Cision with at least one outside source, whether it's through Muckrack, social media or an article. Overall, I wouldn't recommend exporting a media list from a search query and sending a blast to those contacts.

I am also not a huge fan of its search functionalities. I wish they were a little more robust and that I could sort queries in a larger variety of ways.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Cision is much better for TV and radio than other databases out there, but I would be hesitant to say that Cision always has up to date and correct information. The system can also sometimes be buggy and the search functions a little clunky, but nothing you can't work with.

It's a great initial tool to looking for media contacts and sometimes for new pubs as well.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Solid resource for publication and reporter research"

What do you like best?

In my experience, Cision's most helpful features include circulation info, unique monthly visitors, audience info for publications. Additionally, it's helpful in getting reporter contact info and beat information.

What do you dislike?

Cision's search functions aren't the most intuitive, it usually take a few tries to find the right reporter or publication. Additionally, I usually don't rely solely on Cision for reporter and beat info, as it is not always up to date. It's also important to note that I have not used the monitoring or media report generating functions of Cision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've heard that there are other tools, like Gorkana, that have better reporter and publication info. Additionally, a tool that acts as a database and a monitoring tool is ideal. I'm aware that some Cision packages have this option, but I can't speak to its functionality.

As a media relations and public relations firm, we rely heavily on Cision to provide accurate reporter and publication info. Cision is a great starting point and has very helpful features, that said it's the first step in building a good media list, followed by some desk research to verify contact info and beat info.

Cision Database review by User in Public Policy
User in Public Policy

"Good potential but lots of problems"

What do you like best?

This software allows me to find the contact info for reporters. The information is all in one place, so I don't have to google around and look at twitter pages, and it has information that I can't find elsewhere.

What do you dislike?

There is no easy way to do a media scan, at least not with the Vocus/Cision merged product. I can't use key words to pull up relevant reporters in a region that cover my specific topic. Plus, scrolling through results is nearly impossible with a mac trackpad, as the results fly by way too fast.

I use Cision to find contact information for reporters that I can't find elsewhere, and this is a big benefit that allows me to target my pitches.

Cision Database review by Abby M.
Abby M.

"Easy to Use, New and Improved Interface"

What do you like best?

Cision manages the database to make sure you have the most up-to-date contact information for the media contacts in their database.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - it's a great product and it's very well organized.

We're able to directly contact influential members of the media by emailing them directly or putting them on our press release distribution lists.

Cision Database review by Kate C.
Kate C.

"Marketing and Media Specialist"

What do you like best?

Cision allows you to access a variety of news outlets across the world with the ease of a button and has one of the largest media databases I've ever worked with. I like that I can create my own media lists directly through the system.

What do you dislike?

Data is difficult to keep clean, and I've noticed a few of my contacts and attempts were no longer accurate.

Finding the best media to contact for a various of outreach needs.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision Rocks My Socks Off"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Cision is that it is incredibly user friendly and allows me to access information I might not otherwise be able to find. I also love that it gives your industry news, influencer rank and the topic a certain person reports on.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Cision is that it can sometimes be slow and glitchy. Also, it sometimes doesn't have everyone's information. There have been well-known reporters that I have searched before that haven't showed up in the software.

The problems I am solving by using Cision is that I am honing in on how to contact reporters who could gain useful stories from clients of ours.

Cision Database review by Tanner W.
Tanner W.

"A Solid Start, but Often Inefficient "

What do you like best?

-Pretty simple to find reporters; easy to build quick media lists and export to excel; allows you to build national lists easier when you aren't as familiar with markets; customizable search options

What do you dislike?

-The database is hardly comprehensive and often lacks crucial contact info needed to contact reporters. Often it was easier to manually search for reporter email addresses then look through Cision. Additionally, it's often outdated and includes old info/beats.

Recommendations to others considering the product

-Good as a starting point, but don't expect to build media lists/find accurate contact info for every reporter you'll ever need to communicate with.

-Building media lists for pitching reporters

Cision Database review by Brin S.
Brin S.

"Largest media database in the world"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to contact information for the reporters when you know the specific reporter you are looking for.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes difficult to find new journalists while doing a full database search. I also find that sometimes the reporter beats are out of date.

Cision makes it possible for PR people to do their job. It allows them to find emails for reporters to pitch quickly.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Serves a purpose but room for improvement"

What do you like best?

Easy to look up individual reporters or outlets. It's also easy to build and track lists, with features to automatically update/remove reporters who have left the publication. Reporter profiles are also very useful and insightful, especially the easy access to their social profiles.

What do you dislike?

Newer platform makes it easier to find outlets but more difficult to sort the list of reporters at a given outlet, not super intuitive. Some reporter descriptions are better than others. You cannot share logins either, so if someone tries to login you may get bumped out and lose your work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot of different options/capabilities with Cision. Make sure you learn about them all and decide if the platform meets all your needs. There are some features that allow you to pitch reporters using the platform, but it might be better utilized for mass pitching vs. targeted pitching. I've only ever used Cision, but I've heard others say it is better than Meltwater.

We use Cision to identify reporters or influencers, build media lists and look up contact info. This helps us pitch reporters on behalf of clients. We are also able to help our clients by providing contact info for a particular reporter as many of them do not subscribe to a platform like Cision. There are probably other features we could be using, such as the pitching feature or reporting, but they are not things we've explored yet.

Cision Database review by User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Cision - Great for Targeted Government Relations Efforts"

What do you like best?

Lots of data storage; easy to use. You use a simple process to import data and then the data is populated into a report; being able to upload "collateral", i.e., maps, pictures, and other info into the system is a plus for reports like state fact sheets and Congressional profiles.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes if there is a glitch we have to call support, for example, if there are bios that don't have photos we have to call someone, we can't upload them ourselves, which makes sense, but can be slightly annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good use for lobbying efforts, grassroots campaigns, public relations, and anything related to employee outreach and communications.

Particularly with large mail-outs, lobbying efforts, other government affairs related tools, it's necessary to have a database that is kept current. It's also great to be able to manipulate data easily without having to go through a formal request.

"Clunky software"

What do you like best?

Their media database is pretty robust, and seems to have good information. I liked integration of reporter social handles and the Gorkana pitching profile.

What do you dislike?

The new integrated platform with Vocus is terribly difficult to use. It's not user friendly, it isn't helpful and it requires way too much time investment to build any lists, let alone monitor for media coverage. The monitoring service was unusable for our office and their customer support was HORRIBLE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The customer service is abysmal. The monitoring capability is unhelpful - it relies on data storage, so you are very limited in what you can keep track of. The new integrated platform with Vocus makes the old Cisionpoint usability a thing of the past. I'd move on to another product. A lot of good startups are popping up in the space.

Media database. Access to reporter information at our fingertips. We would have liked to use it for media monitoring and/or sending releases, but we found the interface unusable.

Cision Database review by Administrator in Think Tanks
Administrator in Think Tanks

"Great customer service and usability"

What do you like best?

Cision is a useful tool with a short learning curve, so that new employees are able to pick up how to use it easily. And our Cision reps and the support team are always there to answer questions and resolve any issues quickly.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was easier for our analytics team to be able to put in their own parameters and tracking mechanisms into the system.

Cision has made it easy for my colleagues and I to share media lists and coordinate our outreach efforts, which is great for a large and decentralized organization like ours.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"A Must Have for PR Peeps"

What do you like best?

We primarily use this tool for media research and list building. And just for those reasons it is worth it for us. It has so many more capabilities that we are trying to tap into, but it is awesome for finding the right reporters to pitch.

What do you dislike?

It's almost too much functionality to use smartly- if that's even a thing? Our company did a Cision training, and I still feel like I have no idea how to use half of its tools.

It is really helpful when building out pitch lists, and they have introduced some influencer capabilities which is great.

Cision Database review by Daniella B.
Daniella B.

"The best media database!"

What do you like best?

What I like most about Cision is how much more efficient we get to be with our time. It's a very complete database with lots a great features, allowing us to target the right journalists and outlets (including all the major news outlets in the U.S; English and Spanish), without wasting anyones time.

What do you dislike?

I think the price-point is a bit steep. Also there should be different payment plans to be able to accommodate to every organizations' needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vocus/Cision platform is the most complete product you will need for any of your PR needs. List creation, monitoring, editorial calendars, contact information, press release distribution, it really offers just about any service you would use an external vendor in. It's has the most complete database in the U.S allowing for our agency to provide the most efficient service to our clients, without wasting anytime trying to figure out who is the right contact and figureing out what their contact information is used for. It's also great to identify outlets that accept op-eds increasing the SEO of any company you are representing in the case that the byline gets published.

One of the business problems we are trying to solve is wasting time looking for the right contact. Being able to use Cision, gives us the ability to be more efficient and provide a better service to our clients. It also allows for PR professionals and Journalists to have a better relationship, it prevents from Publicists pitching the wrong story idea to a journalist.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision - Media Contact Network "

What do you like best?

I like that you can look up members of the media by their outlet or from their name - makes it easier to sort out who the best contact really is. The descriptions are helpful as well, as they're written by the contacts themselves (if they chose to submit).

What do you dislike?

I wish they listed contact information for more social media influencers, not just from traditional media sources, as the industry is shifting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would certainly recommend using all the tutorials that you can. They offer them frequently and your representative can be very helpful in building lists and targeting contacts.

It solves the problems of finding the best contact in specific situations. There are a variety of search terms to narrow it down (type, location, etc.) Media monitoring is very helpful on this site as well, as it picks up both online and broadcast media.

Cision Database review by Joanna B.
Joanna B.

"The best in the industry could still use some improvements"

What do you like best?

I've used all of the database products in the industry and Cision is the best: it has the most comprehensive database of media contacts worldwide, the easiest search method and simplest export function.

Even with updates to other platforms, CIsion is the most intuitive and versatile in terms of search and display settings.

For most clients, I use a cheaper press release distribution program, however when I used the Cision release distribution last year, it was successful in reaching many of our online targets.

I've never used it for monitoring, so I cannot speak to this aspect.

I enjoy that the contact profiles include social information, as the Twitter handles are generally quite useful.

What do you dislike?

The media industry is a revolving door and oftentimes, contacts are out of date. This just means I need to do some extra work of Googling who currently writes for the beat and then using the information on Cision to figure out what the new reporter's email address would be.

The freelancer data base is quite lacking and Google is often better for this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just spend the money and get it; you won't find a better database in the PR industry.

I am finding the proper reporters to learn about my client's goods and services.

Cision Database review by Mike N.
Mike N.

"The media database standard"

What do you like best?

Cision is one of the best media database services I've used. It's more up-to-date than it's competitors and has excellent organization for the editorial calendar opportunities.

What do you dislike?

Cision is expensive. If your business doesn't have a structure that fits their seat model then it can be frustrating to implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If cost does not matter to you Cision is the best product you can work with and has the most up-to-date information. However, it is expensive and there are other options that are available, they might just take longer to update when changes occur.

Cision helps PR professionals to better manage their media lists and find new media contacts. With Cision I was able to better target and find influences I hadn't worked with before. I was also able to find email addresses and phone numbers for media influencers that I needed to contact.

Cision Database review by Crystal M.
Crystal M.

"Useful Tool for Contacting Journalist"

What do you like best?

User interface is friendly and intuitive

What do you dislike?

The database is not updated often enough

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's essential for pitching but I'd double check journalist beats/contact information with a quick google search to ensure accuracy.

It makes finding contacts easier than having to search the internet for them . It's a time saver.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision - A Powerful PR Tool"

What do you like best?

Cision is a broad-ranging, powerful database of the world's best journalists. It's a very useful tool for connecting with media. Cision allows you to search via name and outlet, which you would expect from a tool of its nature. However, Cision also allows you to search via specific and unique opportunities. This is a very powerful tool that Cision offers. Looking for a journalist who is covering what you are trying to have covered? Search via the "opportunity" too to learn about quality contacts who are looking for what you are offering.

What do you dislike?

With so many contacts represented in Cision, sometimes there are contacts with information that is out of date. For whatever reason, Cision also takes a VERY long time to load. Sometimes you need to wait several minutes for the information you are searching to load properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is an intuitive tool, but it takes some getting used to to master. Use tutorials and learn how to efficiently save lists and contacts to make your life easier.

We are solving the problem of how to most effectively communicate with media. We have realized that constant shifts in the landscape make this difficult. Cision helps. Cision also provides good distinction between who is an appropriate PR contact and who is not. Each employee profile clearly states who you should and who you should not contact with specific public relations-related queries.

Cision Database review by Consultant in Public Relations and Communications
Consultant in Public Relations and Communications

"Reliable and User Friendly "

What do you like best?

I've used Cision for many years along with other platforms and it's still the most reliable media database. Lists are frequently updated and has a nice balance of mainstream to niche media. It's also very user friendly with relevant filtering options. I especially like the option to export or save a list.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more budget-friendly options for solo publicists or smaller PR shops. I've used it in a larger agency setting and now use it as a consultant for a client. I would love the opportunity to see pricing tiers for solo publicists or smaller agencies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a valuable tool that will increase productivity and chances of getting solid results. I would definitely recommend Cision to any client or colleague with media relations as a main component to their campaign.

Building awareness and building credibility for through media relations. It's a great tool for targeting influences and running an efficient publicity campaign.

Learning about Cision Database?

* We monitor all Cision Database reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.