Carbonite Reviews & Product Details

What is Carbonite?

When you run a small business, you have a lot on your plate. That's why Carbonite Business backup solutions are designed with your to-do list (and your budget) in mind.

Carbonite Profile Details

1-25 of 117 total Carbonite reviews
Most Recent Carbonite Video Review
President
Accounting

"Great Online Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

Carbonite is great and runs in the background making sure that all my data is securely backed up in case of an emergency. It is super easy to get started with Carbonite. Customer service was very helpful when we did have to call them a couple of times over the years. They were able to resolve our issue, which was caused by an update to our computers. We will continue to use them as we grow as a company. We like that they have a number of options for different size businesses. As we grow, Carbonite will grow with us.

What do you dislike?

Other than the initial set up and a couple of reinstallations over the years, we have not had any issues with Carbonite. We have not had any major problems with the service.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Carbonite is a great option for a small business needing online data backup. Prices are reasonable and it is easy to use. You will be able to recover your data in case of an emergency. You will have peace of mind knowing that you can access your files if your computer crashes. There are many other options available but we are not currently using all of them.

Carbonite is our online backup solution. We can easily recover documents in case of an emergency. As a company that has a lot of files, the backup storage is a must because you never know when you might lose a computer.

"Love this for our Office staff auto backups"

What do you like best?

I can setup someone and send them an email link to setup their own PC to be backed up to carbonite. And with the auto backup feature it can then auto backup anytime a file is changed instead of running a complete backup again. I have also used the Restore feature more then once due to employee deleting files or once in a blue moon HDD failure.

What do you dislike?

I have only run into one minor annoyance. I can right click a folder in windows and say to not back it up however if there is a file change in that fold it will start backing up that file. Slightly annoying more then a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can't go wrong if you need a simple program to backup user files and profile information on a daily basis.

File loss due to employee, software or hardware failure. It has saved files that the end user had deleted the day before.

IT Support Specialist
Real Estate

"Carbonite is My Favorite Data Backup Software"

What do you like best?

This computer backup software is my favorite because it has the best and simple user-interface. Carbonite is a fast computer back-up software. Additionally, Carbonite is our first choice because it is 100% secure.

Data stored on Carbonite is organized. Carbonite gave us a free trial. This is the chance that we tool to learn about its key basics.

What do you dislike?

Carbonite is a perfect tool. Since we started backing up data on it, we are yet to experience challenges. Therefore, it is flawless.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Carbonite is exceptional, easy to use and less expensive. Carbonite offers the best online backup services. It keeps the data secure and well-arranged. These are the key factors that should drive you to choose this amazing online backup software for your enterprises.

Carbonite helps us a lot in storing our data on the cloud. This tool is essential because everyone in our firm knows how to use it, making it easy for everyone of us to upload and access files easily using any device. Carbonite is great and affordable.

IT Manager

"Decent, but not the best"

What do you like best?

The best part of Carbonite is the ease in setup. It is super quick and simple to install and setup. Basically does it all for you with default settings, which will backup all your common storage folders. You will want to have a look into the settings to add other folders you want to be backed up, or remove some if you do not wish to backup that folder...such as your Downloads.

What do you dislike?

The worse part of Carbonite, is the very slow, snail-speeds while downloading files. If you ever have to restore a file or system, just be ready to wait a day, or five, before it finishes. This is not due to your internet connection, it is Carbonite not allocating enough bandwidth to download stuff fast.

For example - for 56gb of data off a server I had to restore, it took (LITERALLY) 4 days...nearly went over to the 5th day. I complained severely to them, with no sympathy or concern - they simply did not care. It is their policy and they will stick to it. If you know your downtime from the time data is lost to the time you restore it, must be less than a week, then Carbonite is simply not a viable option.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend you consider wisely before settling on Carbonite. The reasons are the super slow speeds with restoring data and the fact that they just removed the ability to backup pictures and videos from your mobile devices. This was one of the best features of Carbonite and without it, it has demoted itself down to the same playing field as Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive and others. With this change, one must concern themselves with what other changes Carbonite may make in the future that will reduce the quality of their offering.

No problems. The simple point of having a backup is to ensure you never need it. If you are depending on your backup for anything, than you are doing many things wrong. A backup is the last option, when all else has already failed to restore the data. Therefore, Carbonite is not solving any problems - simply providing the solution necessary to ensure stability and dependability of the integrity of your data. And the benefits...are none. The slow speeds simply make this a decent option for your needs of having redundant backups.

Computer Programmer

"Fairly reliable and customizable"

What do you like best?

The ease to create and change backup sets. It works on large and small servers with out much difficulty.

What do you dislike?

It has tripped off on us and has not backed up records we needed backed up. We have set up confirmations on a 20 or so servers, and it would be nice if they had a web -based interface that we could check the backup status of all our servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

After implementation, it goes quite smoothly. Just be sure to check in every once in a while to make sure everything looks chipper.

Hands free backups for all of our servers and drives. It has saved us time and brain power being able to rely on it to do its job unsupervised.

(Myself Only)

"Where is Carbonite Back Up when you actually need your files?"

What do you like best?

I like that the product backs up your files automatically.

What do you dislike?

Poor Restore- files are blow up or lost during the restore process. I spend a significant amount of time searching for documents after a restore. I find many of them and manually restore the files but some documents are not restored.

Server not available due to maintenance- company does maintenance during business hours, so when you are having a technical issue and you need access to files you may not be able to obtain them which defeats the purpose.

None . It doesn't save time as you have to search for documents that end up in different files after the restore process. Also, the company does regular maintenance during business hours which completely shuts down the server, so you can not access any files during that time. The current maintenance will impact access to Carbonite's Cloud for more than 24 hours. So what is the point?

AI

"A painful experience, especially during restores"

What do you like best?

The best part about this software is how easy it is to set up. You simply choose the folders and files that you want on the cloud, and it will automatically upload them whenever they are changed. It's a nice system, and was one of the first that could back up to the cloud in this way.

What do you dislike?

We have many clients that use various backup methods, so I've worked with many different configurations. I will say that the Mac support is really minimal. The software requires reinstallation sometimes, and backups will not go through for a week at a time until you find out there's a problem. Aside from Macs, the restore process takes way too long. If you use the web interface to restore, good luck - the web page will time you out during the upload, which effectively cancels the upload and you have to start over. So that means if you are restoring large files, you need to click in the window every 5 minutes so you don't get logged off. I haven't restored for a while, but when I did the bandwidth was extremely slow even though on my end it is very fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look more at other software. Carbonite has a lot of competitors. If all you are concerned with is price, Carbonite may be what you're looking for. But, if you have large files, you may want to consider a different alternative.

Carbonite is a low cost cloud backup solution that works on Macs and PCs.

Faculty Coordinator of Instructional Technology
Higher Education

"Keep Precious Data Safe"

What do you like best?

I like that I can set a timer and that there is plenty of flexibility in the application (i.e. cloud migration) Additionally, I use it for internal cloud backup - it works very well this way.

What do you dislike?

I have not experienced any problems with the software itself, however it can be expensive - depending on the size of your organization. At this time it is not affordable, so I have had to stop using it for now. My intentions are to reinstate the use of this application.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend that you at least give Carbonite a try. The company offers a trial version that allows you to see the ease of use and the features that are available.

Assurance of records, development files, accounting documents and photography. These are all file types that we need to make sure we do not lose as it is unaffordable. The benefit being that we can keep records and files for clients without worrying.

President/Co-Founder
Internet

"Set it up it does the rest"

What do you like best?

Overall, Carbonite is very simple, essentially self-managing. There's very good support, and service levels. The backups are fairly fast and retrieval is very easy. The UI is easy to work with. You can order a complete physical disk for restore if desired. I can also select which areas of my hard drive I want to backup.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the automated updates cause it to go offline. I have had to reinstall a few times just to get it back up and running.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need something to back up your personal computer that is not going to cost you a fortune this is an excellent solution.

I have a daily backup of all the files I have been working with in case I accidentally delete or change something critical. Also, I don't' have to think about the backups they are always there.

AI

"Very Slow Backups only good for small data sets."

What do you like best?

Their phone support team is very good and the ability to adopt new computers to the account is good. I've never had any problems recovering data for customers with Carbonite.

What do you dislike?

Carbonite is VERY, VERY SLOW. I tried for ONE YEAR to backup a server and it NEVER was able to complete a full backup set, not ONCE IN AN ENTIRE YEAR... I still have several clients with laptops that have Carbonite, but they are ones with a very small, mobile, data set (just a few GB)... The reseller markup is only 20%. While that is better than Microsoft, it is not as good as AWS, Code42, or Cozy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a small data set of a less that 20GB on a laptop, then this is a viable service. I would not choose Carbonite if you have a data set of 100+ GB. Their service is too slow to backup that much data...

Backing up small, mobile, data sets on laptops is the best use for Carbonite.

"Carbonite "

What do you like best?

The best things about Carbonite was how it worked in the background without needing to be told manually to save. For IT, it was easy to set up multiple computers to back up and maintain the individual identities of each machine being backed up.

What do you dislike?

Some of the best parts of Carbonite were also the things that made using it the most frustrating. While it would back up constantly, towards the end of use there were constant issues keeping it up to date, manual resets wouldn't take, and Carbonite would sometimes go for days without backing up to the cloud. It was also not very user friendly for individuals who were not computer savvy. For individuals who are not computer savvy, the technical support team at Carbonite sometimes had a hard time making their meanings clear and it would help if there was some type of support set up for end users who are not IT professionals, especially when it comes to using some of Carbonite's features effectively.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The biggest recommendation I have is to also use an external hard drive to back up, in case part of your issue is a network failure, you would still be able to directly connect to the files you need to use and be assured that you can preserve your files during a network failure or some other failure to save to the cloud.

We solved the problem of being able to back up important files to Carbonite. As a law practice, it was important to be able to back up important client files in a matter that preserved the folders they were in, automatically and on an almost constant basis.

Grants and Programs Coordinator
Non-Profit Organization Management

"User friendly backup"

What do you like best?

Carbonite automatically backs up your files and programs at preset times. I don't have to remember to back up my files, but can choose to backup when I've made changes if I don't want to wait for the preset time.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it doesn't back up for unknown reasons, then I recieve an endless loop of emails reminding me to backup even when I manually backup my files.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use for any user, admin rights allow upper management to access user documents as needed or in the case of an employee leaving the company. Backup in the background while working, or during closed hours. It does not interfere with business and helps protect your files from computer crashes or failures.

If my computer crashes, I can still get to my files from another computer. I am able to access my files by logging in anywhere I need to. I don't have to worry about losing important documents due to computer errors or losing power in my building.

Automotive

"Simplistic Automatic Background Backup"

What do you like best?

Overall, Carbonite is very simple, essentially self managing. There's very good support, and service levels. The backups are fairly fast and retrieval is very easy. Whether managing with the application or from web portal, the UX is easy to work with. You can order a complete physical disk for restore if desired.

What do you dislike?

The biggest issue I have with Carbonite is that the software does not always properly auto update, which can cause backup issues. Most users cannot easily resolve without IT resolution to restart services. If the auto-updater did not require the service to be manually restarted, I'd have very little complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ensure multiple user accounts are setup properly for invites and computer management. Track the updater status and enroll in the status update emails. This will show if the apps are not current or if there are other backup issues.

Carbonite has eliminated the need for continual tape drives/external disk drives for backup which used much more user time. We have benefited from cost savings, process simplification, increased security of data, and reliability.

Partner/Digitizer
Textiles

"Simple and reliable"

What do you like best?

Carbonite reliably backs up standard data like documents, pictures and more, plus any custom files depicted by the user. Carbonite allows unlimited storage per computer, keeping multiple versions which are easily selected for recovery.

A cursory glance within Windows Explorer allows the user to easily tell if a file has been successfully backed up via the colored dot overlaying the file icon. A right-click context menu allows individual file and folder backup customization.

What do you dislike?

Carbonite charges extra for the ability to backup data stored on USB drives and video files.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Carbonite is an affordable solution for the home user and high enough quality for the corporate user.

Review the backup status of files and add any non-standard files or folders to ensure no important data is missed.

Carbonite is easy to setup and it is very reliable. It has saved my hide at a few clients which lost data due to ransomware. The multiple version of data backups allows me to not only restore a non-corrupted version of the files, but also pinpoint when the infection occurred because the automatic backups happen quickly after a file is changed.

Owner, SharePoint, Office 365, and Azure Expert Consultant

"Pretty easy to use"

What do you like best?

There are several things to like about Carbonite. For one you can have unlimited storage for one computer. Secondly, it is a leave it and forget it set up. Meaning that once you have t set up it goes on about its business with no need for you to do anything further. Also, recovering of items is really easy. I also loved the reference to Star Wars with the name. Cost for an individual is very appealing.

What do you dislike?

I don't think this is a problem with Carbonite but it does take a long time to get the initial back up finished. On my computer it took over a week to upload 150 GB of data. Videos do not back up automatically and have to be uploaded manually. Cost can become restrictive if you need to back up several computers in a home networking scenario.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Back up solutions are different for everyone. I would suggest trying their free trial on a test system and see if it can meet your needs before storing your actual data on the service.

I was not solving a business scenario as I use Carbonite for home back up purposes. With Carbonite I am able to have piece of mind that my personal computers and laptops are being backed up. Also being able to recover files pretty easily has been a life saver on a few occasions.

Member
Government Administration

"Business or Personal Carbonite Cloud Data Protection for Advanced Backup and Rapid Recovery"

What do you like best?

A complete backup solution for organizations instead of just a cloud storage application.

Easy to install and manage.

Competitive pricing.

Easy to scale.

Transparent to the user.

Easy to understand and comprehensive reports.

What do you dislike?

The Plus and Prime plans are only available for Windows OS so if you have a Mac platform you won't be able to use these features.

Pricing plans are based on an annual basis - no monthly plans.

Lacks file sharing capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are in charge of Data Backup system in a larger organization, you may want to consider a private cloud systems for backup and disaster recovery. Carbonite is an excellent option for small business.

Internal and the local organization's back up systems are essential. Carbonite provides a second layer of protection against internal system failures. Our organization has realized the primary benefit of a storage solution of site in case of internal catastrophic disasters. Having redundancy in our organization's back up systems is essential for immediate data recovery.

Associate Senior Help Desk Analyst
Publishing

"Pros and Cons"

What do you like best?

I like how you can have Carbonite backup your files as soon as you make changes. Very easy to install and setup. You can setup your own backup policy for your company. This is very beneficial to minimize the amount of space backups take.

What do you dislike?

The biggest dislike is that it is almost impossible to get your backup files downloaded from the cloud backup. I have tried to download a 5 GB backup file and it would either fail or take 4 hrs. Would be great if Carbonite would get this function working better.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The software is very easy to use. Has a lot of great features. You can set your own backup policy for your company. Make sure you setup a policy for your company. The Carbonite default policy backs up way too much and takes a lot of space.The backup dashboard is great. The software is very easy to setup. I would use an on premise solution and not the cloud.The only issue we have with this is it takes a very long time to download your recovered backups from the cloud. If you have a smaller size backup, they download a lot faster. Overall we like the software very much and we continue to use it.

The problem that we are solving is that all of our remote users and laptop users can always have up to date files backed up. This is a huge benefit if a hard drive were to crash.

Senior Business Analyst

"Simple, reliable, and cost-effective solution"

What do you like best?

We like that it works behind the scenes, keeping everything backed up in real time. It allows you to configure exactly which folders are backed up, too.

What do you dislike?

It can lock up from time to time, but not that often. The first time you run it, it can take quite a while to backup all of your selected files, but that is to be expected. Support was okay but not terrific.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check out the competition. Read plenty of reviews. Make a list of the pros and cons. When you look at the features that Carbonite offers, I think you'll see that they are the best value for the money *and* reliable.

We can backup our financial data as well as important information relating to our clients. On a more personal note, we can ensure that our family photos are kept safe in case of fire, natural disasters, etc.

"Carbonite is Safe Secure and Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like that carbonite is a way to back up our sytem off site and that it is completely secure. I feel confdent every time I use it. I get emails when things aren't working right and they are quick to help me resolve the issues.

What do you dislike?

I have only had one billing issue on their end. They are working to fix it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The cost can look daunting but when you consider data recovery off site for something that could have been saved in a "cloud based" setting it is worth every dollar.

We still use a hard copy external drive for our business. But the benefit here is noone can drop it and lose our data.

"Set it and forget it"

What do you like best?

Carbonite does everything for you and is completely automated. The installation is simple and the setup a breeze. If you encounter any problems the custom support is top notch and responds to issues quickly.

What do you dislike?

Does not have any SQL database maintenance features and those must be run separately. Formerly, I had both the backup of the SQL database and the database maintenance automated in the same script, but now with Carbonite I must run the database maintenance manually. Also, restoring the database is more difficult because the backup is in a proprietary Carbonite format which requires the use of Carbonite to perform the restore, whereas before I could load my SQL backups directly from the SQL software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It really is one of the best automated cloud backup solutions out there.

When our SQL database backup solution stopped functioning Carbonite's server solution saved the day. It now automates the backup of the SQL database.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"Carbonite review"

What do you like best?

I like that you can navigate all the way through folders and select a specific file.

What do you dislike?

It is somewhat limiting on the mobile version to see what you can do.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The backup process is great, but it is somewhat time consuming. The initial backup takes some time, but once it is up and running it works very well. The mobile experience is not fantastic, and has room for improvement. The ease of use and setting up different backup profiles is a big positive, and backup recovery doesn't take that long.

Users losing a file or upgrading to a new laptop it makes it easier in terms of down time. The time it takes to recover the backup is definitely a benefit.

IT Director
Security and Investigations

"Carbonite - a great backup solution"

What do you like best?

Carbonite was easy to use and very robust in options for deploying the software. Trouble free operation from this software.

What do you dislike?

The only reason we went away from Carbonite was because of price. We have an obligation to take bids under our contract and award the contract to the company with the lowest bid that meets requirements. Carbonite lost solely on price.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Carbonite is a great solution to ensure that critical data is backed up and available when needed. One of the most robust solutions out there with many options for controlling how and where data is backed up (i.e. redundant on site backups, cloud, etc.).

Trying to ensure critical data is backed up both on site and off site so that we are covered when malicious activity strikes.

Photographer/Owner
Photography

"An Amazing Backup"

What do you like best?

Everyone needs a place to backup their stuff. I am a person that tends to constantly delete things. I have so much stuff that I do on my pc and sometimes I batch delete. In the process of batch deleting I sometimes get rid of stuff that I actually needed to keep. Carbonite is also amazing if something happens to my pc and I have to get the files elsewhere.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the only thing that I really hate about doing backups is the amount of time that it can take to back up. Also sometimes some things back up that is sort of pointless, as it does backup some useless files.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As with any product try it before you buy it.

There are really no business problems that I am solving. As a photographer I do need multiple backup locations for my shoots in-case something happens to my main storage or first backup.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"Low cost, but hard to tell what you're getting from backup software until you have to use it"

What do you like best?

Low cost, backs up quickly and efficiently

What do you dislike?

Can be difficult to verify when backup occurs based on dot icons for folders etc

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are an individual or work independently, and have fairly limited data backup needs, this should work fairly well for you. It's low cost and gets the job done. Cost is especially attractive for independent individuals with limited data needs relative to those of organizations.

I am an academic who has large amounts of data to process, so this works really well for backing up my data and files (without which, I am basically lost). The software allows me to have peace of mind regarding my data access, even if my computer is lost or stolen. It also backs up fairly efficiently, and backs up files only when changes are made to a file or folder. Dots on folders and icons give indication of backup status.

NWS/NOAA IT Systems Support

"Simple Easy Backup "

What do you like best?

All my important work hard-drive files are back up in the Carbonite cloud & accessible by any PC with web access.

I'm not always able to use our work VPN to access files on our shared-drives.

All that being said, I can rely on Carbonite to safely/securely keep by critical files backed-up

What do you dislike?

Selected folders appear to take about 30-45 minutes to synchronize files.

Even with a fast internet connection, I wish the files/folers synced faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

From what I understand, because pricing is competitive, it becomes an easy decision to make the backup switch.

This backsup work data when I don't have access to the company's VPN (to access the business shared drives)

Carbonite Features

9.1
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.8*
* Online Backup Category
Do you work for Carbonite?