Brackets Reviews & Product Details

Brackets Overview

What is Brackets?

Brackets is a text editor tool that makes it easy to design in the browser, it iss crafted from the ground up for web designers and front-end developers.

Brackets Details

$11,171
@Adobe
26,296 employees on LinkedIn®
Description

Adobe (NASDAQ: ADBE) deals in digital media, digital marketing, and printing and publishing software with over 14,000 employees and $4.4 billion in revenue.

Answer a few questions to help the Brackets community
Have you used Brackets before?

Brackets Reviews

Showing 206 Brackets reviews
Already have Brackets?
What do you like best?

It allows me to edit small scripts on python, bash and the eventual odd out in other language and configuration files without adding any clutter. The interface is really clean and easy on my eyes and combined with a good search function it allows me to focus on what I need to do easily. I was not a big fan at first, but my eyes really appreciate that it causes less strain after working on the screen for long hours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only downside I can find only applies if you have a low spec machine, it is quite resource hungry compared with other text applications, specially when you open a file several thousands lines long, but as long as you have at least 8GB ram it should work perfectly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need glasses like me and need to work with text files, Brackets goes easy on your eyes so that's a big plus on my sight(joke intended). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editing configuration files and scripts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Brand Design Manager
What do you like best?

The Live Preview system removes the need to continuously upload and test to see the effects of code changes. The Plugin ecosystem makes customization a snap and provides tools for just about any development need. Solid UX design is a pleasure, and the standards-compliance is a huge benefit. Best of all, it is somehow free. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I believe that a split-screen view would be a welcome addition. Honestly, there's never been something I tried to do with Brackets that I couldn't, either natively or through a community plugin. Another nice feature might be to be able to have multiple projects at once in the left-hand menu. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Brackets Color Finder and Minimap are great plugins to grab. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed a low-weight, agnostic text editor that I could use across multiple types of projects with code-hinting, primarily for website development but occasionally for non-web scripting as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Free, open-source, and great in almost every aspect, when I started in web development Dreamweaver was king, now it has its niche appeal but for most of us it was time to move on, so when Adobe released Brackets it just feel natural for me to do the change to it and so I did it keeps the Quick edit feature from Dreamweaver and it feels really natural when editing CSS and it's also very light at the same time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm a firefox user and the Live Preview is bound to Chrome and that is ok but it would be even better if it also supported safari and firefox. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It has fantastic addons that can speed your development time Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I work mainly with PHP/Javascript/HTML and Brackets is a central tool in my day to day job Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance Programmer
What do you like best?

The live preview is truly helpful. A great advantage comparing to other apps. Also, it is a lightweight app. It's easy to install. Easy to setup and there are tons of add-ons that make the work even easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The live preview only works in Google Chrome. Sometimes I want to use it with other browsers and It is not possible. I need to open the files manually from my computer. They could improve this feature a little bit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is really good for students while learning front end development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a software engineering student, I often need to work on front-end projects. So far, Brackets is the best text editor I used. I tried others, but this one is the best. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance Graphic Designer
What do you like best?

Brackets was the third program I used for development. Before it I used Coda and then Dreamweaver to code Basic HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Out of all three, I will still go to brackets when I need to code. It is by far the simplest and easiest to use. Along with ease of use, Brackets has always been the fastest program to use, never slowing down or causing trouble when working. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Brackets helps me develop websites with ease and offers everything I need, I have no complaints about Brackets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Download it. If anything else, it's free and there's no harm done in trying it out. You can't be the smooth and modern interface of Brackets. Uncluttered and intuitive, Brackets will offer you what you need to get the job done. Again, it's free, at least try it out. But don't blame me if you get hooked. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Brackets is design with web design in mind. An open-source project, produced by Adobe, Brackets offers me the simplicity I need to develop the websites I design. I also use Brackets with WordPress to create custom HTML, CSS, PHP, and JavaScript with a local FTP to then push it live seamlessly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

DevOps
What do you like best?

Brackets is a very light text editor with a modern appearance, which seems relevant to me, since it is not clogged with unnecessary features. It is very comfortable to work and I can change select different themes, from bright to dark. I also like the fact that you have an option to run the program without plugins. In addition, it has a function to show errors in the code. On the other hand, it has a live view function that is very useful for web developers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Unlike other editors, it is completely free and compatible with all operating systems. I have no complaints with the Brackets functions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Brackets is a friendly and easy to use editor. I especially recommend it to web developers. It has lots of powerful encoding features and great customization options. Also, it is very light and completely free. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Brackets allows me to easily work on web projects thanks to its live view function. I use this editor especially because it is very light, fast and friendly. Also, it's completely free, which saves my company money that would have to pay for a subscription of a software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This program is free and fast. Renders your html pages in a live view, has syntax coloring, and lots of free extensions that you can access right from the program itself Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The live preview only renders in Google Chrome, which is one of the best browsers for sure, but you have to manually open your pages in other browsers to test. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its free, its fast, its accurate, its Adobe - all things I like when I code. Has a lot of extensions as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I do a lot of one on one teaching and often get my students and clients to download and install Brackets. Its a really fast install and doesn't take very much resources on a system. I can also speed up my code since their interface is very simple. I even started do web maintenance as well as web coding using this program. Maintenance in the sense of quickly creating and testing and posting pages. You can even get an ftp extension - so its a one stop shop. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Full-Stack Software Engineer
What do you like best?

Brackets makes my going through a copied source code a breeze with color coding and other formatting options when I need to hash out something quickly. It goes very easy on resources, starts up fast. Brackets has a good base of plugin contributors, so you can add and remove plugins as needed, or you can write your own and share it with the community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far, I have not been able to figure out a quick shortcut like CTRL+K, CTRL+D to quickly indent the code for easier reading. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Explore the available plugins, I know there is a ton out there. I have perused a few and find it very useful that anyone can add their own plugin contribution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instead of using Notepad, I pull up Brackets to hash out any type of code snippet/logic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior iOS Engineer
What do you like best?

I like that the GUI themes can be customized, since it is possible to install themes created by third parties that normally give a better appearance than the themes of the software itself. Supports syntax highlighting and linting for a wide variety of programming languages. I also like that plugins can be installed to improve the code environment like a taskbar or a sidebar. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Brackets is a very well developed editor with the best customization options that I have been able to test in a code editor. I have nothing negative to comment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Whether for a beginner or an experienced developer, Brackets is a very complete and customizable code editor that I recommend because it can be programmed faster and lighter. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Brackets to program in languages like PHP and HTML, although I also use it for a wide variety of languages. What I like the most is that it supports syntax highlighting and linting, and you can customize your entire GUI. Also, it allows you to install themes and plugins developed by members of the community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT Project Manager
What do you like best?

Well, I learnt how to program with this program and I like it. After some time using Dreamweaver, this program is much easier and more convenient to me. What I like is the css/html side-by-side function and the night mode, which makes coding easier for my eyes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The program sometimes has problems with text scaling Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Brackets is a good open source editor for creating websites. While working on it I found it very easy to use and the interface is great. I really appreciate everything ( like live preview, although it only works with chrome) and I can improve my designs by taking advantage of the suggestions they contain. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The brackets are the perfect tool for coding a website from scratch. Like I said, this is a super useful program. I love how simple it is. The program makes creating a website for your company easy and effective. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tester
What do you like best?

Brackets is a friendly editor that includes great capabilities through totally free and open source plugins. It is really easy to use and configure. One of the most relevant functions is that it can display code and parameter hints. Another of its strengths is the extensive theme options for interface customization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have had problems with saving files when they are stored on the main disk, since Brackets apparently does not have the permissions to overwrite the files, so I have to save them in a different location and then replace it with the old one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I am satisfied using Brackets as a code editor because it is fast and light. In my opinion, it is the most customizable editor out there. Also, it has excellent code editing capabilities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I really enjoy customizing Brackets. Overall, it has some very cool features for software development like code hints, Node debugging, and displaying errors in the status bar. I use it frequently especially with languages like PHP. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Developer
What do you like best?

Brackets is a simple and elegant editor. What I like the most is that it supports several programming languages. It has several very useful developer functions like Autoprefixer, which automatically adds prefixes to CSS properties. It is also possible to integrate eqFTP, to directly transfer files from the computer to the web servers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have never had any issues with Brackets. He is currently my favorite editor to develop software in any programming language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Brackets is an editor with great potential. In addition, it can be downloaded free of charge. I recommend the use of this software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The main benefit of using Brackets is that it allows me to program in multiple programming languages. Also, it is a lightweight editor, so I can open big projects without slowing down the computer. In addition, it allows me to integrate FTP tools to upload projects to the organization's web servers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Brackets is very easy to use Code editor.

It has very clean user interface .

fonts are very prominent and stylish.

It is highly beginner friendly.

the best feature is its live preview. User can Code interactively.

User can code and see preview simultaneously which makes it best among others.

it is free. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1. Live preview lags sometimes. it gets stopped then you have it close it and re open it to make it start

again.

2. Doesn't indicates start and end of a div.

3 .You cannot change language for syntax highlight , you need to save file with respective extension

then syntax will highlight and auto completion works unlike other code editors . this is the biggest

flaw in the brackets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Live preview is very good you should give it a try. User Interface is very clean and easy .

Auto completion and syntax highlighting doesn't work unless and until you save the file with respective extension. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

coding has become very easy because of its clean interface.

code gets highlighted which makes every section isolated and easy to differentiate.

color schemes makes code easy to understand so it is helping me in doing my front end works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

With real time virtualization or live preview of the website, you get immersed and feel attached to what you’re working on. This feature sets Brackets apart from other editors.

What’s more, the ability to search for extension without having to download and add the plugins again is a plus for Brackets. Additionally, it supports multiple languages which is a great deal for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Besides being an advantage, the live preview at times deliberately fails and this can frustrate you. Besides, you cannot use it to read it the backend connections which therefore limits its functionality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For CSS, HTML and JavaScript, brackets is highly recommended. Being a front end editor you can achieve more with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our company runs multiple store fronts on Magento and of the areas I use the tool is to deliver ideal friend end that is easy to navigate and appealing to our clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Brackets is a simplistic piece of software that you can build/edit or go through existing website code and change as you need and you can preview before saving. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Only dislike is when you accident open a folder containing more than one website as it crashes the program Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want a simplistic program to import your html code into and edit it on then this is most defiantly the program you want as it’s easy to locate code that isn’t working, can view your html coding without exiting to load up the page it will show on etc Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It’s easy to teach people how to code on it and you can have multiple pages open to work on at once Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Programmer
What do you like best?

Most useful feature is the Live Preview feature , it opens in a chrome window showing the current page. Live editing which impacts the current page without manually refresh the browser.Hovering over a color declaration in CSS instantly shows the swatch of that color. The most recent version of Brackets also supports server side PHP coding through the integration of a PHP server like XAMPP, WAMP, MAMP or any other local web server. It also supports SASS and LESS pre-processors.

There are many third-party extensions which can be install/unstall by the built-in Extension Manager. It has also built-in JSLint support for javascript coding. Overall there are clearly many possibilities for front-end developments. Moreover it is an open source product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This is somewhat a bit slow and the updater in Brackets may give sometime an error. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Brackets is very smooth and light IDE, actively maintained and developed. Moreover, it is entirely free and open source. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've been using Brackets for front end development and web design. It is optimized for HTML,CSS and JS. Its great features make my job a lot easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Junior Engineer
What do you like best?

Brackets is an editor that meets my needs as a developer. Its interface is very customizable, I like the fact that external themes can be installed. It has thousands of extensions that can be downloaded through the same application. Another advantage of using Brackets is their function to predict words, which is very useful to me when programming. Also, it integrates with Git easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only inconvenience I can think of is that this software requires a considerable amount of memory to run without slowing down. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I definitely recommend Brackets. It is a software that allows the developer to customize practically everything. It has support for the most used programming languages. Finally, my last recommendation is that it has support for different operating systems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My overall experience with Brackets has been very good. I feel more comfortable using this software because I have been able to install my own theme for the user interface. Also, its tool for predicting words is helpful, which has increased my productivity. I also benefit from the fact that I have integrated GIT, to keep track of versions of my apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Team Manager
What do you like best?

Brackets é um editor de texto muito útil. O que eu mais gosto nisto é a sua estrutura para detectar erros de código. Por outro lado, para melhorar a interface, é um programa personalizável com bons temas. Tem um excelente método para verificar a sintaxe, entre outras coisas. Além disso, projetos grandes ou pequenos podem ser realizados por este software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Normalmente o editor é preguiçoso. Em comparação com outros editores como o Notepad + + que começam rápido, pode demorar mais de um minuto para iniciar a aplicação. Mas, se você estiver rodando em um computador com poucos recursos, às vezes ele pode ser fechado sem aviso, já que a memória não o suporta. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Este editor é certamente o mestre da personalização. Recomendo-o aos desenvolvedores que gostariam de trabalhar com uma atmosfera que se enquadre no seu design. Você pode instalar add-ons para fazer as alterações necessárias. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Este programa me dá uma visão ordenada e delineada da estrutura do código do projeto que estou desenhando. Eu também uso os add-ons para carregar as alterações no site da empresa. Em geral, prefiro programar neste editor do que em outros devido à sua simplicidade que me permite customizar quase tudo. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sodtware Developer
What do you like best?

Live updates preview is a lovely feature implmenetd by brackets and which I use a lot. Sometimes I actually wonder why other text editors like sublime text and atom never thought of implementing the feature before. It allows you to see in real time the changes you've made to your file on the browser without manually click reload or hitting 'Ctlr + R' / F5 all the time.

There is also another feature called Quick Edit that allows you to style a tag within the html file without having to switch over to the css file. This is also accompanied with incredible support for css processors like SASS and LESS. Most front end developers and even backend developers who are looking to make a quick UI for their application prefer to use preprocessors instead of plain old css to create styles.

Because it is built by html5 and javascript and bundled using electronJS, Brackets is easily hackable to any front end developer and hence can be easily extended to support more functionality than it was intended for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The problem with most desktop applications built using electronjs is that the memory management on them is really poor and brackets is no exception to this common phenomenon. To make matters worse, Adobe, who are the makers of Brackets, are famous for making applications that are memory intensive and which are not kind to lowly specified devices. Brackets in particular has an extended load time and can sometimes get buggy when running. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This application will heavily influence your work if you're particularly a frontend web developer. I wouldn't suggest it for backend designs though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As someone who focuses mainly on the backend, sometimes I need to quickly come up with a front end to verify that my application actually works as intended. I use brackets whenever these needs arise to create html and css files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UI/UX Designer
What do you like best?

Brackets is text editor that prioritises user interface designs and the technologies used in that regard. I believe this is because it's parent company, Adobe, is primarily known for design tools.

One of its amazin features is preview on hover where when you hover on color names or hexcodes, you get a preview of what the colour looks like without having to switch back to the browser to confirm. This feature also applies to images where when you hover over an image path within your html or css code, you get a preview of the image so you are certain that you've correctly linked the image.

Still on previews, Brackets has a standout Live Preview feature that allows you to see all the changes you've made to your code on the fly on the browser without constantly having to reload the browser. This was one of the features that attracted me to it in my earlier days when I still didn't know how to create my own live server. This also goes to speak to its friendliness to beginner devs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In line with my title, Brackets is not very dependable for working on backends and server side languages. In its earlier days, php, for instance, did not Get any syntax representation and it appeared as normal text. Now even though that has changes over time, support for such alnguages including ruby and python is still merely limited to syntax highlights only. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Remeber that the main focus of brackets is front end web technologies like javascript, html and css, and their libraries and any other usecase will only give you a lot of frustrations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

- Brackets is secondary text editor to me that I mainly use whenever a project only has a front end and there are no backend implementations required Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Database Engineer
What do you like best?

In my opinion what sets Brackets apart from most of the other text editors is the Live Preview feature where you only have to click the button and your files get served on your browser (uses a chrome instance) while mimicking server features so that you don't have to worry that there will be a difference when your site goes live.

There is also a readily accessible extensions manager that can be used to access the plugins page so as to get more functionailty into the code editor.

It supports not just dragging and dropping of text but even multiline and rectangular selection and editing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Live Preview may be a very outstanding feature but it is very limited in functionality. It can't configure and read the backend language files such as php together with database connections. This makes Brackets only ideal for front-end development and very annoying to use to develop the backend for web applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Brackets should be used mostly to develop the front-end of your applications and if you use it for any other instances you might not get the best out of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our company runs on several technology stacks ranging from our website to tools such as empoyee attendance management, billing systems, customer support systems etc. These applications need to stay updated all the time aand it is our responsibility as the IT team to do so. This is thus how I specifically use Brackts because I need multiple text editors since I'm always working on different projects at the same time and need to keep the working files and settings on each editor as they are. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web & Graphic Designer
What do you like best?

Brackets has changed the way I code. I love that it has a live preview function where I can view the changes as I code! It supports a wide variety of languages and also has a very good library of extensions such as prefixer that will go through the code and auto prefix any CSS selectors. I like the ability to have a split-screen so I can easily work on the CSS and the actual code at the same time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the Live preview fails or I have to refresh the live preview in order to see some changes. This doesn't happen very often, but it can be annoying. I also would like to see a few different views instead of just horizontal and vertical split-screen. It would be nice if Brackets was able to have 3 or 4 window views. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great and free code editor with advanced functionality such as a live preview. You should try it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a lightweight program, it works great with MacOS. It has helped me find a great code editing tool that isn't bulky or have tons of features I do not need. My productivity has increased with Brackets because I am able to have a split-screen working on two different pages of code at a time. The other huge time saver is the live preview which sets this code editor apart from the rest. I am able to see the changes in real-time which helps me work faster and more efficiently. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.