Boardingware Reviews & Product Details

Boardingware Overview

What is Boardingware?

Boardingware provides a student tracking solution for boarding and independent schools to keep track of where your students are on/off campus. The Boardingware platform provides schools with a full suite of tools to manage leave/exeat requests, check-in/out system, attendance, pastoral tracking, event planning, emergency response automation, and more.

Boardingware Details

Boardingware is the most secure and easy-to-use cloud platform that keeps track of where your students have been, where they are now, and where they will be later, making it easy for you ensure that everyone is safe and accounted for.

Boardingware

Boardingware Reviews

Showing 57 Boardingware reviews
Already have Boardingware?
Assistant Head for School Life
What do you like best?

From an administrator's perspective, I am confident that students are safe and accounted for on a regular basis. I can make sure all of my staff knows the status of all of my students in real time.

From a dorm parent's perspective, they can easily conduct check-ins from their phone or laptop.

From a student's and parent's perspective, they can easily request leaves, schedule vacation travel and sign out (and back in). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is our school information system doesn't sync with Boardingware, which is more of an issue with the other system than with Boardingware.

I also don't like that the language they use for our industry (boarding schools) is thoroughly British so we find ourselves having to translate (e.g., "House" means "Dorm," etc.) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

After sales and start up, you'll be assigned to an account manager. Do use that person for technical support and questions. Our Amanda has been responsive, knowledgeable, and delightful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having one place where everyone knows where are students are. Some are away on weekend, some are away with this team or that, some are studying remotely and others are on medical leave. That used to be a bunch of lists that dorm parents would have to consult. Now it's all in one place. More than one teacher can check in a group together. The supervisor can see the status of the check-in and all check-ins are archived. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

We wanted to be able to use this for tracking day student locations in addition to boarders, and for conducting regular COVID symptom checks. It's done all that with ease, and it works for us just as well for day students as it does for boarders. It's also simplified communication and documentation, cutting down on email and putting all the important information about a student in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The biggest challenge in our first year using it has been minor technical glitches. Some staff couldn't create accounts, for example, and some couldn't access features or get notifications like they were supposed to. Most issues got resolved, but it took a little time. We didn't adopt Boardingware until about a month before school. We were able to get it up and running quickly, but these glitches did make some of our start-of-year work challenging. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As I said above, we're able to keep good track of who is on campus and who's not, which is important in a year where we've employed a hybrid learning model. We also wanted to conduct daily symptom checks and collect that information easily, and this works well for that. Beyond that, our use of Pastoral Notes has greatly improved our communication about staff, and all our records are now in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Residential Life
What do you like best?

Boardingware is a simple tool to track students in real time. Further from that though, our students have a history of locations, and we have connections with parents and hosts that otherwise wouldn't happen. With our connection to International Families, we have made more connections and communications than ever before. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be complicated for a new user. The barrier of learning a new program can make it difficult for anyone to jump straight in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be prepared for training your staff, your students, and your parents. I underestimated the workload. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I arrived, we were using paper and pencil to track the locations of our students. The idea of trust but verify is important for high school students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructor
What do you like best?

I like the fact that Boardingware can promt you to have conversations with students and parents over their leave requests giving you the value of insight and monitoring leave. It also provides a highly convenient way for keeping you informed of your student's whereabouts when you have 101 other matters to be concerned about. In short, it help me maintain peace of mind...and not having to continuously trawl through e-mails or permission slips. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that it can be complicated for parents to use and understand initially. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make use of the support sessions available at Startup Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing student leave during the week and at weekends.

- Monitor student's leave and potential absence.

- Keep an eye on and spot trends in leave patterns.

- Simple (once parents have the hang of it) and effective way of approving leave and comings and goings.

- Registering students at times during the day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Dance Instructor, Resident Faculty, Advisor
Performing Arts
What do you like best?

This program immensely helps facilitate the boarding life at school. The program is easy to learn, aided by the offerings of online training sessions. You can keep records of students' health conditions, disciplinary occurrences, general notes, see parental permissions, and keep track of their late or timely departures and arrivals from campus. Taking roll is a quick easy process with student lists created for different situations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

On occasion, I have noticed issues of not being able to access shared roll calls or information not being saved due to internet access/connection; however, I would say I have experienced few issues with this program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Boardingware overall has helped our residential faculty awareness of all students' whereabouts, habits, any health issues (getting sick, etc.) and noting parent permissions. This enables our community to have access to up to date information in between our regular meetings, which also facilitates our duty rotations so no information is lost. It is a great resource for us to look back and notice any conditions that might need addressing, or to reward students for their responsible behaviors and leadership. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Paul Glen Organ of Boardingware

Hi Nicole thanks so much for the feedback, we really appreciate it. Paul

Assistant Director of Residential Life
Primary/Secondary Education
What do you like best?

The communication and accountability boost Boardingware provides us is huge. All our residential faculty and administrators know where all our children are all the time, up to the minute. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The information shared between parents and students is not always as transparent as we'd like, especially as a junior boarding school. Specifically, if parents aren't included in the workflow of an event leave, parents they have to use a workaround to see what events students signed up for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We began the year with the rollout, and gradually phased in additional features/tasks within the first two months. Incrementally building this way was instrumental to our faculty buy-in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our parent and student-initiated checkouts are much more streamlined now. In the past, the ResLife office would field emails, phone calls, and texts relating to travel information. Now, parents are able to enter all necessary information in a uniform, standardized way, and the feedback from all parties has been really positive.

We've also integrated Boardingware into all our weekend activities/trips. As context, we have 100 boarders, ages 10-15, and we send 20-25 "trips" out-- both on campus and off-- every weekend. Between these faculty-led activities and students checking out to go home for the weekend, we process on average 270 checkouts per weekend. Our residential faculty are now able to pull rosters quickly and accurately for attendance, and any last minute adjustments are easy to make.

Boardingware is a game changer, period. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

I love knowing where all my students are at any given time. I appreciate how easy it is to set up new leaves, sign kids in and out. We don't have hundred of students, but even if we did I do think Boardingware would be beneficial to a school of any size or caliber. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I feel like it often glitches or won't load the moments when I need it most, or need it to work faster. I do think that for some age groups of co-workers it took a long time for them to learn it simply because they are not as familiar with technology. However, I have changed some thing, which I appreciate having the ability to do, in order to make it easier for them to navigate the system. I also dislike that it is not really geared towards school who also have day students. While yes, there are ways to use it for day students it takes a lot of extra work on our part. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It will cover almost all of your basic needs at a private school and will make your days a lot easier. I think it is great! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Where students are at any given time. Not having to worry about a person who is specifically taking care of travel plans - it is all on Boardingware. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of use for student accountability & maintaining logs for retrieving student leave. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Experienced a few glitches at the outset, but these were all corrected quickly and we've not experienced any for the last couple years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There may be other programs, but for us Boardingware has been perfect. It not only keeps updating its product, but the staff are extremely helpful and kind. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed a better method to track student whereabouts as well as process the leave requests when students left campus. Using Boardingware has made this process much faster, more time efficient, and gives the ability to access logs for a much longer history without having to keep a hard copy paper trail. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Boardingware has allowed our school to go away from some of the paper usage for a typical week, while increasing communication between our dorm staff and day staff. Any administrator, teacher, or dorm staff can find out where a student is quickly, or know if they are not in the right place. It allows the school to keep a record of every time a student is out due to illness, field trip, sporting event, or off campus function. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only negative I have truly encountered is in the check out system. Any sign outs must be done over 15-20 prior to sign out or the system signs out the student automatically. Example, leaving at 3:00, if you enter the data after 2:40, they will be signed out automatically. before 2:40, the entry awaits the proper procedure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are part of a boarding school, give it a test run. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The Boardingware system has allowed my office to cut down on paper usage on a daily basis by keeping everything electronic. It also keeps a accurate records of all data entry that otherwise could be misplaced, or lost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

1. Boardingware is immediate. Once we confirm information in one part - it becomes immediately available to all users so we know what’s going on in real time.

2. Boardingware is user-friendly. Our school staff and students all understand how to use the software, and it is available on multiple platforms for convenience.

3. Boardingware is customizable. Any school can adjust the categories and conditions for management of its students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It’s hard to say what I dislike because usually when there is a problem with the system, Boardingware’s staff is quick to respond and roll out new solutions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to make trips and other off-campus activities much more manageable by keeping everyone aware of student participation. Also for international student leaves we are now able to confirm the location of the person giving permission for the leave. This helps us be sure that emails and permissions that come to us from international parents really do originate from those locations and not from within our own school area. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Paul Glen Organ of Boardingware

Thank you so much for the feedback, we're glad that we make such a positive impact on your campus.

Best,

Paul

What do you like best?

While there are some aspects I would still like to see improved, I find that Boardingware is very handy for keeping records for student location with our private school. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

One of the aspects I would like to see improved is the ability to apply a filter to a live roll so that when one person creates a live roll for the while school, I can filter to the specific house or group that I am attending to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Giving every faculty member the ability to find out where a student is be they on or off campus is a big benefit when there is any kind of emergency. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Paul Glen Organ of Boardingware

Hi Kimber,

Thank you for your honest feedback, your suggestions for improvements are great and the team has been notified.

Paul

AE
What do you like best?

I love that I can use my phone to check where students are going at any time of the day. I also love that I can see their leave histories to check who they are going out with and where they frequently go. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The thing I dislike the most is that when we have spotty wi-fi or data, it just stops working. Also there's been some issues with "Live Roll" where it would crash and I would lose the entire roll. In addition, I do not like the fact that there is no feature where students can put in a "Holiday Leave" that has multiple destinations and hosts for those destinations. Currently I have my students put in separate Holiday Leaves for each destination they go to which can be a hassle. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accountability and security. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The Boardingware program is a great tool for keeping track of where our students are and where they are going. It is intuitive and easy to use. They are always work to improve the software in order to make the experience more user-friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It took many of our students and faculty to get their heads around how to use Boardingware. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use it for boarding school in order to track our students and check them in and out at check-in times Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The system, although a technical solution, puts student safety first. It allows for easy communication between students, home and school thus promoting a positive school culture. It also allows for efficient check in and headcount. This is particularly important in an emergency situation. The Boardingware team are also great at listening to both support and consider future improvements to the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That we did not think of this before 2017. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get onboard with a team dedicated to keeping students safe and dedicated to continuous improvement with the product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Greater communication between students, home and school. Improved safeguarding. Improved process for overnight stays and very efficient head count checks. We now know where our students are 24/7. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

As the app has developed they have used our feedback to create additional capabilities that meet our growing needs. The team has been incredibly responsive with troubleshooting issues, even with a 12 hour time different between our locations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Shockingly, [read: sarcasm] this web-based platform is dependent on wifi connection. This is sometimes an issue as our connectivity on campus can be less than reliable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to monitor our students and communicate with parents about permissions very effectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Paul Glen Organ of Boardingware

Hi Josie, thank you for your review! It's a shame to hear about your issues with Wifi. We do have offline mode with mobile devices, have you been able to utilize this? Feel free to reach out through the application to learn more about it.

Our success team is located across three continents, so that definitely helps when it comes to getting back to you in time :)

Thanks again, Paul.

What do you like best?

User friendly for all parties and increased accountability Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Needs a better interface for large TV screens. The old web app leave board allows up to have around 40 students on the screen at once but could do with some refinements / updates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to implement, functional and will soon become an integral part of your management system Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Time effective, less paper trail, more convenient for staff, students and parents, access to pertinent records/information on the go Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Boardingware is how it appeals to visual learners. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the data for some groups has to be manually entered, as we rotate required dinner table groups and our Culinary Faculty Supervisor has to manually enter 200 names every 2-3 weeks. I also dislike how VASTLY different it looks for Apple products versus Android, making training documents VERY hard to create. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Plan a few weeks of training and use time before it becomes live with your students. Very hard to play catch up after a few days of not requiring fac and students not to use it, so give time for getting everyone up to speed or they view it as optional and you spend whole year unteaching bad habits Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to care for and keep track of our students and their habits more effectively using Boardingware. The benefit of having information at my fingertips (Staff App) is huge as a person who is mobile throughout the day (no set classroom or office so no desktop or laptop). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I love the accessibility of boardingware. As a weekend administrator on duty who is also a dorm parent it is so convenient to be on my dorm and to be able to see where all of our other students are or to have access to contact information if we need to track them down. It is also great having the phone app for athletic travel. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would love to be able to see groups of students signed out together so that we can bettie monitor if they sign back in together or if there are changes in the patters of their travel. This is something we were able to do on our old paper model and it was often influential in monitoring potential disciplinary issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We've had a bunch easier time keeping track of our students. Boardingware is also very accessible to our students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Getting easier. Easy for parents to submit passes. Less wasted paper Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Parents don't call to confirm plans (need to...just in case students know their log-in). Difficult for parents to get started (different skill level with computers). Binder was easier.

The Boardingware Staff App on my personal phone keeps crashing every time I try to access the requests.

Co-workers aren't as good at figuring it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Admin has real-time information Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Boardingware is a very professional application that does the job much better than a paper-based system. It is not a difficult programme to learn to use and with the phone app you can even do it on your phone for convenience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Boardingware. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a programme that lets you do a lot more in a very small amount of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping a track on boarder whereabouts is key. You can always go back and have a look at any rolls done etc. The record is always there! Parents submit leave rather than us chasing up, which we used to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the page set up.Makes it easy to see all students at a glance.Information at your fingertips(no more trawling through pages in folders etc). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1.If the site crashes need hard copy back up.2.Changes in face page format as it takes a while to familiarise.3.A shared office computer not ideal as logging in and out important to remember especially if personal information is added under the incorrect user name.4.More time sitting at computer not healthy.5.Less personal interaction with clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Benefits : parents can see communication online instantly. Girls can sign up for leave more easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The software is able to handle all of the ins and outs of boarding school life. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The ios app and the iPad app and the web version all look/feel different from one another. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We did a 3 month trial to see if it was right for us. Give it time. It takes a while to learn all of the features and implement it with your students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We now provide better service to our boarding families and timely notification of when their child leaves campus for an hour or for a day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Our staff loves that we can use it from our computers and our phones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I hope that someday it will integrate with our SIS. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping track of students when they come and go from campus; tracking the administration of medicare; emergency roll call for fire and other drills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

We love boardingware as it gives great access and insight to our students movements and needs, also links our families well to keep in touch with leave requirements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It changes wuite often the look and sometimes the functions, but once you get used to the new functions or looks they are better than previous. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Benefits of having medical patterns/histories and leave patterns etc. Really managing to get a great look at the care of our residents and if a pattern emerges with pastoral needs etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.