Bloomerang

Bloomerang

Bloomerang is a cloud-based donor management system focuses on outreach, engagement, and retention. The product incorporates donor engagement and provides advice from fundraising and nonprofit experts.

Work for Bloomerang?

Learning about Bloomerang?

Bloomerang Reviews

Ask Bloomerang a Question
Showing 239 Bloomerang reviews
Bloomerang review by User
View Original October 8, 2018
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Bloomerang
Bloomerang review by Rick D.
Rick D.

What Fundraising solution do you use?

Bloomerang review by Rachel D.
Rachel D.

"all-in-one CRM Database"

What do you like best?

it does a LOT. It has a lot of features. The reports are an incredible tool once you figure out the filters. Email tracking has also been great to see how many people open our emails, what emails bounce, etc. Overall, the constituent's profile set-up is great for getting a full picture of the constituent's history and how they're connected, what they give, if they volunteer, etc. Also the Bloomerang Academy classes and the webinars have been invaluable to learning and growing in our jobs and utilizing this platform to the best of it's abilities.

What do you dislike?

On the email templates, the customization is limited if you're trying to create a really nice, artsy mass email template. It can be challenging to make it all look presentable with what's available. Another feature is that mass emails really fill up everyone's timeline, so it can get cluttered when you're looking through a constituent's timeline and they receive all the emails.

We have a much better streamlined system for receipts and gift tracking. A major benefit has been the letter capabilities and being able to generate mass letters for taxes, invoices, gift receipts and more.

Bloomerang review by Danah Z.
Danah Z.

"The Best Donor Database!"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang is so user-friendly! We recently hired a new employee who noted that the database is super easy to use, visually pleasing, and is easy to learn. We made the switch to Bloomerang from RE about two years ago and have not for one second regretted making the switch.

What do you dislike?

There is not an integration with Quick Books. This is in the works but there is no release date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is really scary to consider a move to a new CRM . We have all heard the horror stories (or experienced them firsthand) of data conversion from one system to another going off the rails. I am hear to tell you there is no need to worry if you are making the switch to Bloomerang. If you are thinking about moving to Bloomerang but are scared of the conversion, you needn't be. Bloomerang, from the moment you have your initial conversation will be with you every step of the way. From conversion to training, to follow-up to excellent customer service, you are in good hands.

We love the ability to use Bloomerang's integrated email service to send newsletters and appeals. We can track interests and see who we are engaged with. We love the ability to bcc emails to constituent records.

Bloomerang review by Nicole T.
Nicole T.

"Great product for small businesss that keep improving"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang has continued to provide great customer service when support is called or through live chat which I think is their best feature. The level of detail and patience they have is amazing. Navigating through the site is also very easy. I love that you can run reports that tell you if you have records that need to be updated or deleted based on lack of actions for the constituent. They have paid attention to other software products that allow you to integrate with like with Firespring which was a major plus for the organization.

What do you dislike?

As they continue to grow and expand, I believe they will figure out the bugs of global adding, automating more and making it easier to pull complex reports/lists.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really vet your information before switching. It makes for an easier conversion.

We are able to look at snapshots of membership through simple list generations. Being able to see goal vs. actuals on the dashboard for campaigns is very helpful to watch performance.

Bloomerang review by Jamie C.
Jamie C.

"Great Donor Management System"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang allows us to track individual donors through campaign and appeals, as well as our monthly giving campaigns. Also, Bloomerang allows us to track our entire grant management system through the use of notes, interactions, and tasks. The constant upgrades and changes to the system let me know that Bloomerang takes feedback seriously and changes to meet demand.

What do you dislike?

There are some quirks to using Bloomerang, such as only allowing thank you letters to be downloaded as PDF's. If you want to then personalize any letter in a batch mailing, it is a process to go in and individually change each letter, download, then print.

We are tracking our campaigns through Bloomerang, to see which appeals are most effective and where we are spending more time and money than necessary. This has been a huge benefit because our development team is able to reassess their use of time and money expenditures in order to get the most bang for the buck.

Bloomerang review by Andrew L.
Andrew L.

"Donor Oriented Fundraising Software"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang has an uncanny ability to see how you can best serve your donors by providing ways to get to know them better, easy to use reports and email surveys to enhance their impact in your organization, and a focus on how they interact with you by using an algorithm that shows their response. New ways to interact and best serve the donor are constantly updated in the software program.

What do you dislike?

Not much. At times trying to figure out how to add features or custom fields to your donor profile page can be challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are wanting to be donor-centered- this is a great fundraising software!

Bloomerang saves time by adding in complementary partners to our work such as NCOA and wealth screening software. The platform is easy to use and navigate when finding out how best to serve your donors.

Bloomerang review by Ricki C.
Ricki C.

"Development Director"

What do you like best?

The ease of running reports that are so important to our funding strategy. We can easily put together the lists we need and send targeted information to our donors. Many CRM's have much more complicated report procedures.

What do you dislike?

We are a hospice facility so probably 85% of our donations are tribute based. That area needs a bit of work. For example, there is no easy search for tributes, you have to scroll through all of them and we have many. We also struggle a bit with sending notificants a list of the donors who made gifts in memory of their loved ones. We've figured it out but it's a work around instead of a straight task.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've worked with Tapestry, Donor Perfect, Datatel to name a few and this was by far the easiest to use. I was in a position of getting a CRM up and running asap and Bloomerang did the job and did not disappoint.

Who donated, when, how much, how often. Are these donors ready to be moved up? How are we doing compared to last year, last month, etc. . How are our gifts coming? What appeals are most productive. All these questions are at my finger tips,

Bloomerang review by Janet M.
Janet M.

"User Friendly!"

What do you like best?

We made the switch to Bloomerang a little less than two years ago. The team at Bloomerang was very thorough in determining our needs, converting our data, and walking us through what we needed to know to get started. It's a very user-friendly system with loads of how-to articles and videos. If your question is not easily answered that way, the online support is excellent. We are looking to hire a new development director and I was asked what kind of training he or she would need. Seriously, it is so intuitive that I only expect minimal questions.

What do you dislike?

I guess I haven't encountered anything I dislike!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bloomerang has met all our needs and I have no doubt that it can do even more than we've tried.

We are managing donors, donations, and interactions with ease. It's been a win-win.

Bloomerang review by Elizabeth H.
Elizabeth H.

"Development and Fundraising Dreams DO Come True!"

What do you like best?

It's hard to choose a favorite thing, but as a former Director of Development for over a decade, and now a consultant helping other nonprofit orgs build strong, responsive donor bases — Bloomerang is like a glove that fits. It's just right for the needs, pace, and expertise of real-life nonprofits. Ease of use, a learning curve that is incredibly accessible, and astoundingly thorough options for reporting and recording data are at the top of my list. This tool is a literal game changer for nonprofits. It has been invaluable to successful fundraising for my clients.

What do you dislike?

There are a few features not yet available that will be wonderful when they come - the email and letter building features can be a bit clunky and not totally seamless to use. Formatting and spacing can be challenging. Not impossible, but frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect perfection, it doesn't exist. And remember that the cleanliness and accuracy of the data IN determines what you are able to pull out. Use it every day, to it's fullest, and it will pay off.

I have taken my clients from using broken, pieced together "donor" systems and streamlined everything about the way they do fundraising by getting them on the Bloomerang platform. They can see their donors, communicate with them, understand them, and build capacity. My clients are raising 25% more, and in some cases 100% more.

Bloomerang review by Tiane K.
Tiane K.

"Bloomerang helped grow our annual fundraising by 100% in 3 years"

What do you like best?

We began using Bloomerang in 2015 and it has made such a difference in our fundraising efforts. Now that we can track our donations and quickly thank our donors, it is so much more effective than before. We are able to understand who needs extra attention and who is "on fire". We can set goals and watch to see if they are being met or if we need to take action. Tracking our correspondence with our donors and soon-to-be donors (if we treat them right) makes it easy to see if what we are doing is working or not.

The customer service is fantastic. I like that I can immediately chat with someone when I have a problem or question and not have to wait.

What do you dislike?

There are a few things (like any system, and like all the ones we researched before deciding on Bloomerang) that aren't ideal. The Email program is not as user-friendly or have as many features as some others that we have used in the past. But it works and is fine for what we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program is extremely user-friendly, which is the reason we chose it. As the primary user of the system, I couldn't be happier with it.

Bloomerang has brought our Development staff into the 21st century. In a little over 3 years, we have doubled our fundraising efforts and have brought our retention to above 50%.

Bloomerang review by Atiye C.
Atiye C.

"10 Stars to Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

There are so many features we love about Bloomerang.

- Super User Friendly

- Amazing Customer Support

- The ability to better focus on Donor Retention and the lifetime value of a donor

- It's really easy to keep track of all of our fundraising goals

- Ability to get super detailed when running reports

- Importing donor information isn't complex

- Social Listing Hub & ability to track a donors visit to our website are great features to track a donors engagement level

- Leaving notes on a donors profile has come in handy for a number of occasions.

- Pretty much everything about the system.

What do you dislike?

The only thing we could come up with to dislike about Bloomerang is that we didn't find it sooner. We've had no issues with the system or found it lacking in anyway.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a system that is geared toward donor retention and building a better understanding of your donor base - Bloomerang is the CRM you're looking for.

Bloomerang allows us to really focus on donor retention and grow our Major Giving & Planned Giving prospect list. Bloomerang allows us to better utilize our donor/prospect listing - for example, we can see if a donor has been recently approached about Sponsorship or Grant opportunities and decided if this is the best time to approach them about other giving opportunities, or move onto a less tapped donor.

Bloomerang review by Jennifer W.
Jennifer W.

"The Transition to Bloomerang has been Amazing"

What do you like best?

Intuitive nature of the system. We had as close to a pain free conversion as you could have. I also love the reporting feature. It is surprisingly robust. I often reach out when I am doing a more complex report and get great help from the Support Staff.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that we can't batch gift entry and that we can't export all of the letters into word and then edit them. We try to personalize our letters, but the person who has the knowledge isn't always the one who is doing the gift entry. So in the end we are sending thank you letters that are less donor centered than what we used to and that 's a disappointment. We haven't had great luck working with Moolah. The integration for cc processing and EFT was much more seamless with my last database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't regret it. No system is perfect, but most of us don't need all the bells and whistles of more complex systems that cost more to maintain and honestly keep us from doing our job - raising money for the organizations that need us!

I'm not sure what you mean by that. We don't have money. That's a business problem and Bloomerang helps us.

I have been able to pull our grants management calendar process inside the system which is great. Maybe that's a business problem you all have helped us address.

Bloomerang review by Megan D.
Megan D.

"I've had a great experience"

What do you like best?

it is easy to use and the customer service is amazing! 99% of the time, I'm blown away by how awesome the customer support staff is. Always so patient, even if the question is super dumb. Always helpful. Willing to research answers when I ask a particularity tricky question. One time, an agent even emailed afterwards after he noticed something else! I like the home screen, the profile pages, the reporting, the letters, the email generation (and how it tracks who opens and puts that as an interaction in a donor profile), the reporting, the way to import data (again, customer service has been great here with helping to make sure imports are correct), the RSVP tracking, and the website integration (sign up forms to subscribe to emails and to RSVP for events, and to provide a mailing address.)

What do you dislike?

The platform for emails is not the best -- I wish there was more options for fonts and formatting. I don't like how difficult it is to access pledge information for a constituent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! It's a great product that makes life easy!

The business problems we are solving are: being able to track donors, in regards to how much they give year over year. The benefits I have realized are the reporting systems -- I love the default reports that are already there and the ability to create basically any kind of report I want. It keeps information organized and accessible.

Bloomerang review by Jamie C.
Jamie C.

"User Friendly Donor Software"

What do you like best?

The absolute best part about Bloomerang is the ability to create comprehensive reports for both donors and transactions. I can look up literally almost any group of donors based on criteria that is as specific or as broad as I choose. These make mailings (especially appeals) so much more effective.

What do you dislike?

I've noticed some bugs with split receipt acknowledgement. But they are constantly putting out new tools and part of that also means refining them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep your database organized. Check for duplicates and note that only one email is used per user profile. These things will help keep cost down (but for what you get Bloomerang is worth every dollar).

We had been trying to better segment our appeal mailings for years. Bloomerang makes it a breeze with their reporting tools.

Bloomerang review by Jeff M.
Jeff M.

"Intuitive, easy to use combination of great tools"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang is intuitive and integrates both email and embedded forms for donations, registrations, etc. While they offer a lot of free training opportunities, it's very easy to navigate and the learning curve is very short.

What do you dislike?

If most of your fundraising is event-based, then this might not be the optimal choice. Some other software options have much more robust special event modules.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make a list of what features you need, what you'd like and what you really don't need. Look at the alternatives and rate them in the first two areas. View demo's on at least your top 3-5 choices. Ask to "play in the sandboxes" of your top 3 choices before making a decision.

I am tracking donations, recording interactions and keeping every aspect of my relationship with each donor in a single location that can be easily retrieved. In my current role, I instituted Bloomerang as our first donor management system. In my prior role, I converted from the PC-based version of Raiser's Edge to Bloomerang.

Bloomerang review by Sara S.
Sara S.

"We love Bloomerang!"

What do you like best?

Our Communications and Development Department uses Bloomerang to manage and communicate with our donors. We did a number of demos with different constituent management software and chose Bloomerang and we absolutely made the correct decision. We have about 10,000 records. The transition from DonorPerfect to Bloomerang was very quick and only had a couple minor hiccups which were easily remedied. Since then, we have been able to increase our engagement with our donors and our donors' engagement with our organization. The webinars have been incredibly helpful. We have only had to contact tech support once for an issue but we've made suggestions for how Bloomerang can improve and they've taken those suggestions and actually implemented a couple of them. We have just had such a good experience with Bloomerang and are so thankful we decided to switch to them! It's been a wonderful experience and they've just been really great to work with. Would recommend them to anyone, especially smaller to mid-sized organizations.

What do you dislike?

We really don't have any complaints. Every issue we've had has been user error, for the most part. Some of the import features are a little clunky but manageable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're thinking about switching to Bloomerang, I would highly recommend it. Especially if your development program has a major gifts component.

We have doubled our revenue and increased efficiencies in the department. Bloomerang has made engaging with our donors and tracking that engagement so much easier.

Bloomerang review by Samantha W.
Samantha W.

"Bloomerang makes it easy!"

What do you like best?

There are many things I like about Bloomerang, but at the top of the list is how user friendly it is. It is very easy to navigate, set up and work with. The customer service is exceptional! There are many ways to access help when needed and they are constantly improving the product. There are an infinite number of tutorials to provide instruction on every area of the system. They LISTEN to their customers and make additions, changes and improvements based on the feedback they receive. That's a big deal if you ask me!

What do you dislike?

If I had to choose one area I dislike, it would be the reporting section. It is good from the standpoint that you can pull the DATA that is needed, but putting it in a "pretty" report, like crystal reports that can be done in some other database systems, is not one of the capabilities available at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research. This is a great product and meets the needs of the organization and the fund development program we are establishing. There are MANY features that I know we are not utilizing yet, but may as we grow. However, it may not be right for you. You may need more or different features than what Bloomerang can offer. Every organization is different.

Online giving is one of the business problems we are solving with Bloomerang. We have realized an increase in donations because we have online giving available. Also, the ability to capture and track all of our donors and prospects in one place has made a difference.

Bloomerang review by Father Nick B.
Father Nick B.

"For a small nonprofit, it's been the right fit"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang's ability to track donor engagement levels makes it easy to segment appeals and identify lapsed donors--in other words, within the roster of donors it helps to be able to quickly recognize who is needing attention or a nudge. The retention wheel integrates easily within this program. Bloomerang integrates seamlessly with Stripe, which has allowed us to begin processing donations online. We've partnered with a printing company that's out of state, but Bloomerang allows us to generate reports in Excel that our printers can use for variable fields and the quality of our mailings have improved dramatically as a result.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be clumsy at times. For instance, as more and more reports are generated, there's no way to designate certain frequently used reports as "favorites"--it means a lot of clicking to get to pages that are buried in the menus. The mobile interface especially on phones is clunky and doesn't allow for much interactivity--an app would be nice. The interface for creating emails is pretty limited, too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am not an expert on Donor Management Software, so I don't have much to compare Bloomerang to. However, since using this software, our donor relationships have been streamlined and significantly improved. For smaller nonprofits, Bloomerang seems like an ideal fit.

For a small nonprofit like us, Bloomerang has allowed us to track donor interactions far more thoroughly, which has allowed us to be far more specific in how we tailor our interactions. Previously, using some very simple tracking software, we were limited to noting who donated when. Now, we can segment our appeals, use emails to communicate, and more precisely identify lapsed donors or those who can potentially give more.

Bloomerang review by Michelle G.
Michelle G.

"User friendly and always improving!"

What do you like best?

I love that Bloomerang is user-friendly enough for, let's say, less tech savvy folks to use quickly and easily, while also offering robust reporting and other tools that allows the more experienced users to dig deep and pull out all the insights our data have to offer. They are also ALWAYS adding and improving features, and their chat help has been invaluable to us.

What do you dislike?

I do wish Bloomerang's email tool were more flexible able to produce slightly more attractive designs, incorporate Google forms seamlessly, and embed YouTube videos (rather than linking to them via a still image).

I also wish it were easier to get Relationship data into the same letter as Transaction data, but there are workarounds for this that aren't too tedious.

Finally, I really look forward to being able to run my own mass updates on accounts, similar to what I was previously able to do in our previous database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely get demos from different databases-- DonorPerfect fit our needs years ago, then eTapestry fit our evolving needs better, and now Bloomerang has become our "perfect fit," but it's possible it's not yours. Strongly recommend if you want something for users who come in with lots of different levels of comfort in cloud-based CRM or donor databases.

Simply put, Bloomerang has helped us see our data in new, clear ways and put it to use. Some of our funders require very complicated reporting on donors, event attendees, etc., and with Bloomerang I'm able to generate those reports in- no joke- a tenth of the time it took in our previous databases. Those time savings alone are obviously a HUGE value.

Bloomerang review by Shannel B.
Shannel B.

"Over a year later, still happy with our switch to Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and intuitiveness. Very much a WYSIWYG program, unlike our previous donor database. Also, the customer support is as easy as starting a chat window and getting immediate help.

What do you dislike?

Some features we would like are unavailable and either not currently in the works, or are in the works for down the road. IE having a login type for other staff that gives them access to profiles and interactions, but NOT the ability to view/edit/create transactions.

In addition to our Donor database/CRM, we have also begun to use Bloomerang as our volunteer database and in 2019 will begin using to track volunteer hours as well. Bloomerang has also made it easier to identify constituents on whom we should focus cultivation.

Bloomerang review by User in Performing Arts
User in Performing Arts

"I really do not like Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang has an intuitive user interface. That's pretty much the only good thing I have to say about it. The ability to put people into "Households" that are separate from their individual records is kind of nice, though it is not something that I take advantage of very often.

What do you dislike?

Bloomerang has extremely limited functionality. The simple user interface feels dumbed down. While you can have customizable fields in Bloomerang, they are clunky to create. There is too much clicking and absolutely no support for keyboard shortcuts, advanced searches, regex searches, or tracking of events outside of the "Timeline." The process for uploading new constituents from a csv file is horrible: you cannot see which of the constituents are being added as new records and which are just adding new info to existing constitute records (Bloomerang tells you how many of each there are, but not more information than that). The email blast features is incredibly buggy. The email preview does not match the actual email which does not match the HTML. The relationship between source code and result is super mysterious and unpredictable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't!

We use Bloomerang for tracking donors (its primary intended purpose), sending our month email newsletter, and keeping track of students and band directors and parents and faculty. Of those three uses, it is only remotely good at the first one.

Bloomerang review by Amanda S.
Amanda S.

"Excellent service & product"

What do you like best?

I like how well-integrated the software is with our website/donors/emails. I also like that I am constantly learning new features and capabilities of Bloomerang. On top of that, when I'm not sure how to do something, the team is very quick to help me via live chat.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that Bloomerang is not integrated with PayPal - yet! I also wish there was a way to view all of our constituents without creating a report. The email capabilities are also limited when it comes to design/colors/fonts/etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bloomerang listens to its customers so be vocal about things you would like to see improved or developed!

The logistics of typing in donor profiles have been cut in half.

Bloomerang review by Dana B.
Dana B.

"Bloomerang saves me time"

What do you like best?

I have to thank Bloomerang for the amazing and quick support. When I took over this role about 6 months ago, no letters were done in Bloomerang – we downloaded reports, added headers in Excel and then merged documents to create letters. It was extremely complicated and frustrating for our small two-person team.

As I started taking more and more Bloomerang webinars, I asked my boss if we could consider using the letters function in 2018. Once I got some kinks worked out on my end (understanding terminology, and more how the program functions, etc.), it has worked AMAZINGLY. I created Year-End letters in a matter of hours, which previously took two weeks. I’ve been slowly adding new letters for our various campaigns and it’s working out so well. My boss, who works on another floor, knows exactly what I’m doing because the letters generate notes and now she can go in and make changes if necessary. I LOVE THIS PROGRAM!

What do you dislike?

There are some minor issues with all letters downloading as a PDF that cannot be easily and quickly edited before printing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The customer service is fast and phenomenal!

Bloomerang is our donor database -- using the reports function we can better communicate and fundraise with our donors.

Bloomerang review by Elaine H.
Elaine H.

"The perfect tool for donor engagement!"

What do you like best?

We are able to track email campaigns and volunteer activity all in one place and have that information related to each donor. I can see with a quick glance what engagement a donor or volunteer has with our organization. The reporting is very easy to use. The customer service is top notch.. they are always available to walk you through building a report or answer a question. Updates to the system are made in response to client requests and feedback.

What do you dislike?

They could use some work on the letters function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

quick and easy to use and manage your donor program

For a small development department, bloomerang makes it quick and easy to understand your donor base, track volunteer hours, and communicate with your donors.

Bloomerang review by Max P.
Max P.

"Development and Fundraising improved. "

What do you like best?

It's difficult to pick a most loved thing, yet as a previous Director of Development for over 10 years, and now a specialist helping other charitable organizations assemble solid, responsive giver bases — Bloomerang resembles a glove that fits. It's perfect for the necessities, pace, and skill of genuine not-for-profits. Usability, an expectation to absorb information that is staggeringly open, and astoundingly intensive alternatives for announcing and recording information are at the highest priority on my rundown. This apparatus is a strict distinct advantage for philanthropies. It has been priceless to fruitful raising support for my customers.

What do you dislike?

There are a couple of highlights not yet accessible that will be magnificent when they come - the email and letter building highlights can be somewhat burdensome and not absolutely consistent to utilize. Organizing and separating can be testing. Certainly feasible, however baffling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try not to anticipate flawlessness, it doesn't exist. Furthermore, recollect that the neatness and precision of the information IN figures out what you can haul out. Use it consistently, to it's fullest, and it will satisfy.

I have taken my customers from utilizing broken, sorted out "giver" frameworks and streamlined everything about the manner in which they do raising money by getting them on the Bloomerang stage. They can see their givers, speak with them, comprehend them, and construct limit. My customers are raising 25% more, and sometimes 100% more.

Bloomerang review by Ted T.
Ted T.

"Long time user of Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

The user interface is easy to use. Support is easy to contact and they actually listen to our suggestions.

What do you dislike?

We don't really like the household concept. When adding a new constituent, if some of the info is the same (email, phone, address) it does not get cross checked and a warning does not pop up that it may be a duplicate. We would like it to autofill city and and state when the zip is entered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Continue listening to end users and adapting product.

Ease of use for development officers. All information is in one place. Reports are beneficial. Easier than other software to train staff on.

Bloomerang review by Matt R.
Matt R.

"One of the best cloud services for donor management"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang does have some really good features for donor management, everything from keeping track of donor base and all donations from everyone, to keeping track of every email you've ever sent a donor. It helps track things like of campaign progress and can easily tie into stripe.com for online donation processing.

What do you dislike?

It has some odd limitations, one that I can think of right now is that it only has one email address supported for notifications and for contact email that appears on forms. For example, if you setup a donor form or a form to register for an event, it uses the primary email address on the account, this is inconvenient as more than one person handles events rather than donations.

Online donations were a big reason we switched from our offline version of donor perfect, we have been very successful with this as this is how to engage new generations of donors.

Bloomerang review by Amabelle C.
Amabelle C.

"Bloomerang makes my job easier! "

What do you like best?

It's been one year now since we've switched to Bloomerang. It has definitely been a more intuitive system that we can easily customize, as well as track things we could not before, such as interactions and grants. What has been really beneficial is tracking relationships of our donors. It really gives us a good picture of how people became connected to our nonprofit/cause. The timeline attribute is a great visual snapshot of the donor's relationship with our organization, as well as how we are interacting with them. The overall design and ease of navigation is a big plus, which has helped us easily train staff who need to update donor records.

What do you dislike?

A few items that we think Bloomerang can improve is the letters. The font sizes do not actually match up to Word document font sizes. I usually create things in front size 11 but I have to do it as font size 14 to get the same output. Formatting tends to automatically change when creating new paragraphs or inserting new fields. So, you always have to go back and change things. Sometimes, the new field inserted will have a standard font/size but then it will also change the words/sentences after it despite it already being formatted. So, I'm not sure if this is a glitch, but it does make it more cumbersome.

Another area that I think needs improvement is event tracking. We wish we could enter event expenses.

With regard to donor records, if we make one member of a household deceased or inactive, it does not remove their name from the Household record. So, when we run a household mailing, their names still pop up and we have be to very diligent when it comes to removing them. Perhaps a notification or red flag on a household who has one member inactive will help flag those down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bloomerang is worth the investment, especially for a small nonprofit with less than $1M budget and 10 employees. It really has streamlined our donor database system and gives us more time to focus on the data than how to input the data.

Before Bloomerang, we relied on institutional knowledge and board members knowledge of how donors came to know our organization. Today, we are able to track this information and have a better understanding of the donor's relationship with our cause which gives us a better relationship with the donor.

Bloomerang review by Kristi B.
Kristi B.

"I love Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

Ways to connect with constituents. Email scheduling. Donor Tracking and letters. Ability to put people in family units to minimize number of constituent spots taken. Customer service through online chat is amazing. The ease of set-up and the user friendly use is great. I had this product recommended to me and the first company I worked for in this field was not interested. I think I got the job at the new place because of my excitement for using this product. I loved how they worked with a small and growing company to help me find a program that gave us a very good price for the first year. This helped us get started for a very low cost and let us begin to reach out to constituents from day one. I have had no problems and cannot even remember when I had to ask for support last because of how easy it is to use. But, if I did need them, I know they would be there. It takes a matter of seconds to get an online support person.

What do you dislike?

All the things I have wanted, they have created.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The online support is so good! It is so, so good! I think this program is so user friendly and it has been so great to use this year. I attribute a great deal of our connections and growth to having this product.

We are able to communicate with our constituents, send them newsletters and pre-set birthday greetings. We can track their giving, activity and connections and easily track our thanks and reconciling of all activity.

Bloomerang review by Sarah T.
Sarah T.

"Pretty Darn Happy"

What do you like best?

I really like the donor engagement piece that tells you cool vs. hot vs. on fire. It's illuminating to see a more objective view of your donors actual engagement. I like the timeline feature, as well. Great snapshot. Also a great way to keep track of interactions, with the to do list. The features are there to make you a better fundraiser (if you use them!). It's also pretty intuitive. I'm not one to do a lot of front end learning with software. I want to figure it out as I go, and that approach works well with this. And the letters. Love the letter feature. That took some figuring out, but it's great.

What do you dislike?

The email blast tech is solid, but a little clunky. It doesn't integrate well with how we do our newsletter on our website, but I can do it. Also, some of the reporting is difficult for me to answer specific questions. That said the reporting is a million times better than what I've had before and so that is splitting a fine hair.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great program, but the email system is limiting. If they need sophistication in email, I don't think this is the right product or at least needs to integrate with other email systems that can handle higher level stuff.

More consistent donor engagement and insight into which donors I should be contacting, either to enhance engagement that I didn't see before or to re-engage a donor who is disengaging.

Bloomerang review by Jim A.
Jim A.

"Ease of use and Information at our Fingertips"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang allows me to both store the information I need and bring it up easily without wading through numerous steps. I have the information I need and can generate the reports necessary to know how active and supportive our alumni and supporters are.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I really dislike is that you have to type in nearly the entire person's name in order for Bloomerang to suggest it as the one you want to choose. For example, type in TIM SMI and rather than Tim Smith coming up, Tim Smothers, Tim Smelt and Tim Smolder come up while Tim Smith is no where to be seen in the suggestions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend any non-profit to use Bloomerang as a donor management system.

As opposed to our previous data management system, which was just beyond spreadsheets, Bloomerang allows us to quickly run reports, search for giving trends and keep running data on our supporter contacts. As such, we are more in tune with our constituents and far better equipped to either thank a regular supporter or reach out to a lapsed one.

Bloomerang review by Jonathan A.
Jonathan A.

"Great, but some holes"

What do you like best?

Our old system was only available on a local server, so we had to be on site to use it. I love being able to access Bloomerang from anywhere. Multiple users is also a huge plus for our multi-person team. Built in receipting has been a game changer too in terms of how quickly I can get acknowledgements sent out.

What do you dislike?

There's a few things that are counter intuitive from our previous system. Reporting took me quite a while to learn, and I still use trial and error quite often. Some standard "quick" reports would be a great addition. Updating addresses continues to be a cumbersome process as well when they are attached to a household.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it's easier to learn if you are coming from nothing and Bloomerang is the first thing you've used rather than switching from another system.

As stated above, cloud access and multiple users.

Bloomerang review by Beth C.
Beth C.

"So grateful we made the move to Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of Bloomerang is the robust reporting capabilities and its intuitive, user-friendly interface. It's also immensely helpful to have financials at a glance on the main dashboard. I appreciate the ease of use for our staff who don't need to be in it often, but occasionally need to reference reports or pull information. It is easy to navigate and reference as needed. But as the main user of the system, I appreciate that even the more complex reporting and tracking tools are fairly intuitive to use and easy to learn. And the customer support is top-notch. I've never asked a question that wasn't clearly and promptly addressed in a way that thoroughly answered my question(s).

What do you dislike?

I wish that we there was a QuickBooks integration and a better structure to organize reports. The QuickBooks integration would be a game changer for our Acccounting side. We moved from a system that had an integrated fundraising and accounting platform, and this is the one step backwards we had to take by adopting Bloomerang. And as many reports as we run and save, I would love a way for us to be able to manage those in a way that isn't just a river of saved files. It would be nice to have a folder for each user and subfolders for the different reports we each run regularly. Fingers crossed both of these come soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider your accounting needs - I think it's a little labor intensive for our finance person right now w/out the QuickBooks integration (which has been promised, but without a delivery date.)

The reporting capabilities are allowing us to take a more meaningful look at trends in our fundraising and strategize more effectively for our campaigns. In large part, I credit the success of our year-end campaign to being able to better segment and target our donors.

Bloomerang review by Katie S.
Katie S.

"Amazing customer service and platform"

What do you like best?

The live chat is outstanding. I always connect with a person within 3 minutes and they answer my questions in full. The platform is incredibly intuitive and is able to adapt to your individual organization's needs beautifully.

What do you dislike?

The mass email functionality leaves something to be desired. It needs more customization abilities and to be a little more modern. We currently use Mailchimp still for most of our emails because of this, which does not integrate with Bloomerang, although they say they're working on a solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a fantastic platform for a small organization. It offers a ton of customization, with a lot of customer support. They have regular webinars to explain their features and how to use the platform with increasing complexity. I am a huge fan!

Donor management, reporting, donation forms, event registration forms, some mass emails

Bloomerang review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Bravo Bloomerang!"

What do you like best?

What’s not to like? Bloomerang's interface is amazing, user-friendly and intuitive. The Timeline feature is an incredibly useful tool for internal communications and donor management. The ‘nested’ and ‘Matches Multiple’ filtering features are easy to learn yet extremely powerful. I could go on and on; custom fields, imports, email and letters, social media integration, communication preferences….

Bloomerang’s support staff is responsive, knowledgeable and friendly. The Bloomerang Academy and Knowledge base provide a wealth of information for users of all levels. This, combined with Bloomerang’s ease of use, makes it possible to use and manage a robust fundraising tool without the need of an in-house IT support person.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see a more streamlined method for creating Households and the ability to email a task list directly to the person responsible for the task from within Bloomerang without going through the process of downloading the report.

As an Information Management consultant, I work with various clients to help solve problems including fundraising, CRM, volunteer management, memberships, special programs and social media outreach. The features and benefits of Bloomerang allow me to provide my clients with a solution that is tailored to their specific needs and can be managed effectively by in-house staff.

Bloomerang review by Administrator

"Great product for all levels of fundraising professionals."

What do you like best?

Bloomerang is easy to use. It is intuitive and user friendly. There are lots of easy-to-follow tutorials and if I do get stuck, the answer is just a quick chat away. P.S. I am not a tech savvy millennial...

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it automatically adds soft credits to the totals. Almost all of our donations are soft credited to someone, which doubles our totals on our dashboard, making it useless as a fundraising tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended this product to several non-profits. What I always go back to is ease of use. If you are a mid-sized non-profit that is looking for a solid CRM, Bloomerang is a great option.

The biggest benefit is being able to easily track and communicate with all of our donors. Through Bloomerang emails we have been able to increase participation in our events and RAISE MORE MONEY!!

We also use it to track grants, which has helped us be more "on point" with our foundation communications.

Bloomerang review by Lydia S.
Lydia S.

"Bloomerang helps us keep track of our donor engagement"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang makes it easy to keep track of our donors, how much they have given, when they have given, and how they are involved. It makes it super simple for anyone in the organization to get on and see how we have been communicating and what has been communicated with each individual donor. I also love how I can bcc bloomerang on any email and they will automatically upload the email to the corresponding donor's profile.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the head of household information can get a little complicated when it comes to mailers and reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bloomerang is amazing when it comes to donor relations. Can't remember who last spoke to the donor and what was mentioned? As long as your team is keeping notes, it's all there!

Bloomerang has helped us keep track of our donors and their involvement. It helps us walk into conversations as well as gives us history when there is staff turnover.

Bloomerang review by Amabelle C.
Amabelle C.

"Bloomerang: Easy, intuitive and helps keep this nonprofit on track!"

What do you like best?

I've been working with and for nonprofits for over 15 years. I've had to work on different donor platforms and Bloomerang has been the most intuitive and easy to use. It makes it easy for us to track pledges, gifts, fundraising event income, and grants. The dashboard gives us a quick overview of how we're doing in terms of our budgetary goals for different campaigns. The program also makes it easy to thank donors via email and on mailing letter format. The customization of the reporting is also one of the reasons why we highly recommend Bloomerang. The ease and variety of ways to include and exclude sorting parameters has given us a better of understanding of our short term and long term donors. This helps us determine annual giving campaigns, informs us on fundraising event interest and possibilities for implementing major donor or planned giving opportunities.

What do you dislike?

It's difficult to say the things we dislike. Often times, when there are issues regarding reports or tracking donations, the Help Desk is easy to chat with online. If enough people make suggestions, they often implement updates to the system to make it more user-friendly.

If we had to choose, it would be a better grant management tracking system. Right now we can log interactions and notes that would house the information about grant deadlines, reporting, etc. But, there's no way to alert us if a grant is approaching its due date or if a report deadline is approaching. The other aspect is there is no way to track fundraising event expenses so that we can actually run reports on the feasibility of events.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bloomerang is easy and more intuitive than other donor management software. The only thing it doesn't live up to is tracking grants. But, there are work arounds and being able to customize a lot of the inputs has allowed us to track our grants better than having an Excel spreadsheet. It also doesn't allow you to enter fundraising expenses.

Business problems that Bloomerang has solved include: easier donor management, quick/easy/customizable acknowledgment letters/emails, and flexible reporting. The benefits have increased opportunities in elevating current donors giving.

Bloomerang review by Kathleen K.
Kathleen K.

"Intuitive, comprehensive, and great customer support"

What do you like best?

I love how comprehensive Bloomerang is for all of our tracking needs. Having everything related to a supporter in one place is really awesome (including being able to BCC emails from our regular work emails so those one-on-one interactions can be captured too). I really appreciate all the great customer support and webinars available - it has made trying new things so much easier such as importing attendance from an event we hosted. Also love the customized on-line forms - this allowed us to easily create multiple donation forms for regular and recurring donors and we have also used them for event registration and volunteer tracking and sign-ups.

What do you dislike?

We are still figuring out the Letters section. We are planning to use this for the first time for our year-end appeal and I'm noticing that the font size in Word does not correspond to the font size in Bloomerang so it's taking a little more tweaking than I anticipated although it's still very quick and pretty easy to figure out.

Bloomerang allows us to more intimately capture all the ways our supporters are involved with our organizations, as donors, as volunteers, as community partners, as member groups. It also allows us to more thoroughly keep track of things like volunteer hours and events. This allows for more personalized interactions with our supporters and saves us time in the long-run since everything is captured so easily in saved reports. For instance, we compile a monthly report on fundraising, communications, and outreach. I created and saved a series of reports and now I can easily reference them at the end of each month and quickly pull out important numbers for our Executive Director. Such a big time-saver for me and it allows us to stay on top of our yearly goals.

Bloomerang review by Joan M.
Joan M.

"Bloomerang fundraising software is just what I was hoping for to relate to and track donors."

What do you like best?

Bloomerang software is user friendly and easily integrates with our website and Quick Books. The company provides help guides and videos that are clearly written. So much so that I did not need the additional support that is available for a small charge! The staff are very helpful and available by phone or email. The cost is affordable for start ups and small not for profits and grow as you grow. There is no one size fits all mentality! Recommendations are welcome from the users.

What do you dislike?

Tracking grants from foundations is a bit of a challenge and I would like to see more adaptation of the system for this use. I was, however, able to make my own adaptation and am discovering more and more each day about the options available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, you will like it. It is user-friendly, affordable and the Bloomerang consultants will help you all along the way. Check out TechSoup for discounts if you are a not for profit. Discounts are also available from Bloomerang for new organizations and the cost increases as you grow. Check out their online videos and helps. There is much to learn online before you make your decision.

I looked for a system that would integrate all the functions in this development office. The Bloomerang software integrates with our website, provides reports for our board, enables us to send e-mails and newsletters to interested persons and provides files for our Quick Book financial software. Data is only entered into the system, once! Being user-friendly, administrators and staff can learn how to use the system and the help guides and videos are clear for those who know how to read and follow directions. These techs must be teachers! I learn something new about this system every day.

"What a difference!"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang is the most user friendly, well thought through, and supportive experience we could have ever asked for or imagined for our users and our donors. They are ahead of us in developing new and innovative ways of managing donor data and we are so very grateful. There are new features and partnerships in place before we come to realize we need them. Training is awesome; chat help is outstanding. Couldn't be happier!

What do you dislike?

I only wish I had more time to spend sharing our Bloomerang experience with others. It has changed our organization. We can now rely on our data!

Recommendations to others considering the product

From our experience, nothing compares. It's been the perfect solution for us and it's only getting better as we grow.

Our CEO is finding the data she needs! Our donor timelines are accurate and we are connecting with our constituents effectively. The Benevon partnership and integration with Bloomerang has changed the way we fundraise. Integration with QGiv is about to take our peer-to-peer fundraising to a whole new level. We can't thank Bloomerang enough!

Bloomerang review by David J.
David J.

"Great customer support, easy to use software"

What do you like best?

We are a small arts not for profit, with an annual budget of around $350,000. Bloomerang is the first system we've encountered that fits us "just right." It's very easy to use, the tutorials and training sessions are great, and the customer support is second to none.

What do you dislike?

The biggest knock I have is that their email system could be a bit more flexible and appealing. Like MailChimp integration maybe? The design options are a little limiting for a business that wants to use Bloomerang as a one-stop shop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They are willing to work out a multi-year deal at a discount.

Donor acquisition and retention. Customer management. The biggest thing we've accomplishes is instituting an annual campaign where we were able to track and meet our goal, then replicate success again in year 2 with much more ease.

Bloomerang review by Mike E.
Mike E.

"Easy to use and best help chat line in the world!"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use and when I can not work something their help chat line is a dream. I have never been able to stump them. Also, the amount of educational content they produce is mind blowing. The monthly subscription is very affordable and when you count in the 'digital mentor-ship' they provide, then the subscription is a steal.

What do you dislike?

That the subscriptions does not include peer to peer fundraising. Although there is a 3rd party add-on that you can purchase, that is very easy to integrate.

Clear accounting of donations and interactions made with our organization by our donor partners.

Bloomerang review by Jeff R.
Jeff R.

"Simple, intuitive and customizable CRM!"

What do you like best?

We like using Bloomerang for its ease of use and intuitive features. The dashboard is simple and informative. We love the history and timeline updates. Customizable dashboard is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Deleting individual transactions in order to completely delete a constituent. Letter/email production is a bit archaic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the key features and schedule a demo with a representative. They will answer all your questions and help you make an informed decision.

We use Bloomerang to manage our donors giving records. Our benefits include timely communications, segmented communication and tax receipt production.

Bloomerang review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"An Excellent Donor Platform"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang's report-building features are second to none that I have come across. It's very simple to drill in to a criteria set in order to find the exact constituents or transactions necessary. The team is also constantly providing updates and previews of what features are in the pipeline

What do you dislike?

Bugs are not infrequent (I come across around one per month), but their customer service is always quick to help resolve issues. And their mail/email features leave much to be desired. MailChimp integration would be very welcome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a donor platform with robust reporting solutions, frequent updates, and very timely support, Bloomerang is the right fit for you. If you want attractive donor pages, however, know that you'll have to build and host them yourself, as their platform's pages leave much to be desired.

Bloomerang enables my team to get donor data fast, whether for personal fundraising or major donor development.

Bloomerang review by Becca B.
Becca B.

"Bloomerang for life!"

What do you like best?

It's an intuitive one-stop shop for donor and volunteer management. They're always working to improve the user's experience, and the customer support chat function is stellar.

What do you dislike?

Previously sent emails can't be archived so after a while you have pages and pages to sort through. Also, there isn't an image gallery other than inside an email, and you can't edit images inside the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a small nonprofit you can try Bloomerang for 1 year via Techsoup for $99.

It's an excellent resource for determining how engaged our constituents are so we can reach out more to those slipping away. And we can segment our communications based on custom filters.

"Review of Bloomerang"

What do you like best?

I like that it is a cloud based platform and that the interface is relatively user-friendly. Additionally, the reporting extraction is logical but can be thorough when needed.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you have to enter both husband and wife as separate entities and then link them in the system. I wish there was a way to enter then under one record without having the clumsiness of entering both and then linking through a household.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The customer service is outstanding. Also, they continually upgrade and improve the platform.

Bloomerang has been very beneficial for our small nonprofit. Before, we were just tracking gifts with an Excel document. Now, we can track appeals, campaigns, relationships between donors, event attendance and it also has a CRM function that allows us to track interactions with donors as well.

Bloomerang review by Julie M.
Julie M.

"Bloomerang is Amazing!"

What do you like best?

Bloomerang is very user friendly. It allows us to easy add new donors and keep in touch with current donors. Bloomerang offers so many practical and helpful resources for nonprofits. The webinars are always very insightful. Plus the staff is top notch!

What do you dislike?

Nothing, keep up the great work!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend other Nonprofits consider Bloomerang as their donor software. The program is user friendly and helps smaller nonprofits like us manage our fund development. Bloomerang shares great resources and has excellent support. We are very happy with this product!

Donor management data base

Also use for fundraising, ecommunication to donors and more

Bloomerang review by Jim M.
Jim M.

"Still discovering the benefits."

What do you like best?

The ease of entering and tracking donations. We are primarily funded my recurring donations from hundreds of partners. Bloomerang helps us know who is giving and who has lapsed.

What do you dislike?

Many of the search filters on the input side of the data are not the same as the filters in the reporting side. It would be nice if they were consistent. Also being able to sort a large number of contributors by zip code would be helpful.

Bloomerang has helped us tremendously in determining our fulfillment rate on pledges. We never had a handle on that before. It is so nice to be able to access the program through the cloud. We also love having the ability to email receipts and newsletters.

Learn more about Bloomerang

Bloomerang Videos

Learning about Bloomerang?

* We monitor all Bloomerang reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.