BlackLine Reviews & Product Details

Sr. HR Representative
What do you like best?

Blackline provides a range of advantages which are so remarkable that the service design is realistic and easy to understand and work with, with little or no expertise. It can be used more precisely. The wonderful support staff who are always happy to heard me easily solved all my questions concerning my work. Besides this, I love the way that sheets are properly reconciled in my daily work tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Because of its ability to manage all of my bases, including documents, files and many more, Blackline has proved to be an excellent management tool. In addition, its simple and intuitive service, which has no great disadvantage, only sometimes becomes sluggish due to the low Internet connectivity, but is not that aggressive. Otherwise, my job is quite a simple task. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I can make my work easier to handle with even less expense than other pointless applications. In addition, it is best to build continuity in my work. Those products are a life-saving savour, regardless of their size and resources, for all kinds of organisations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Blackline offers me the best tool to simplify and conveniently manage my tasks by configuring some appropriate functions. Therefore, it is no more than a blessing to monitor the power of that specific application because all my important tasks with the latest update can easily be tracked within only a few seconds. I don't have to back up my work today, as I just have to log in and be ready to do it, just by wasting so much time. In general, this software was a big supporter in combining different work tasks with a great task to save my documents in a particular location. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

BlackLine Overview

What is BlackLine?

BlackLine solutions empowers the accounting and finance function to manage and control the end-to-end financial close process by automating accounting workflows, providing a centralized and secure workspace to perform period-end accounting activities, and streamlining financial reporting. The resulting absence of complex, manual, and error-prone steps inherent in dated accounting practices, enables teams to focus on analyzing discrepancies and uncovering new ways to create value for the organization. This Continuous Accounting approach that eliminates non-value adding activities and evenly distributes tasks across the close, facilitates continual monitoring for errors, fraud, and inefficiency, so accounting and finance leaders can innovate to sustain competitive advantage, even in the face of growing workloads and increasingly stringent regulatory environments.

BlackLine Details
Czech, German, English, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Chinese (Simplified)

Automates financial close processes to help improve controls for accounting, finance, audit, and compliance staff.

Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance teams to move from back office cost center to strategic business partner.

We believe that this passion and dedication to our customers is why BlackLine’s Finance Controls and Automation platform is trusted by more than 2,200 companies of all sizes with more than 196,000 users across 150 countries around the world, and why we’ve been named a Leader in Gartner's 2017 Magic Quadrant for Cloud Financial Corporate Performance Management Solutions.

BlackLine Systems, Inc.
@BlackLine
1,269 employees on LinkedIn®

BlackLine Videos

BlackLine Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the BlackLine community
Have you used BlackLine before?

BlackLine Reviews

Showing 545 BlackLine reviews
Already have BlackLine?
Accounting Manager - Corporate Accounting
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

Digitizing the small world like accountant , CA they dont know that calculation and monthly close cab be so easy

Blackline is the best web-based financial service I have worked with in the last years, it is a tool that is very easy to use, it is the best alternative to implement in any business since it has a very adaptable design for any work environment, its price is a real temptation to acquire it, since it is quite cheap and you can get many benefits, I personally love managing financial closures with this system because it is very effective and its accuracy is very amazing, the panels provided by the interface are very eye-catching and provides a very professional experience to work with, the high security it provides is a very important feature that makes this platform very secure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

variety of people involved in Blackline everyone don't have accounting knowledge Its integration with ERP system is very complicated to do, because it has several processes that are very confusing, its synchronization of data in the cloud I have also observed that it is a little slow. But compared to how functional it is there are very few defects that the service presents and it is always very efficient to fulfill its work in any business, in general conclusion Blackline has more positive things to talk about than negative ones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

please help with webinar in India Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Solving the Business relating to account recons , task Blackline is a fantastic service, it is very agile and has absolutely nothing to envy to other similar platforms. For people who are looking for a reliable and highly functional service to increase business productivity and guarantee the highest accounting balance, this tool is the one you need, it has a very easy to learn interface and very complete panels to work with, without a doubt this service is very promising for people who acquire it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Controller
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

We utilize the Reconciliations, Journals, and Tasks modules, and are currently implementing the Matching module. The implementation and use of these tools has allowed us to take significant manual processes out of our close and reduce our close by 3-4 days. We anticipate further improvement through the matching module, taking high volume comparison of data sets out of our hands. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a considerable amount of time and effort to set-up the tool in an effective way. We completed our implementation directly with a BlackLine consultant, and there was a large time commitment from our team. However, the time spent upfront has led to gains now that we are operational. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our close was very manual and excel based, which led to a slower close, journal entries late in the process not being properly communicated and therefore reconciliations not being properly updated, and large sets of data being manipulated in excel. We were able to automate full end to processes with our recs and journals, and integrating directly into our ERP, which has removed the risk of missing late adjustments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

Blackline is a user-friendly tool that is quick and easy to implement, and quick and easy for users to learn. Excellent training courses come as part of the package, and training is specific to unique features, so easy for personnel to not only learn the tool, but become experts with the tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If you have multiple modules of Blackline, it will be key to have a person(s) in your company dedicated to managing the tool. You want to ensure consistent use, plus have someone dedicated to maximizing your investment. Blackline is robust, so having someone dedicated to learning the tool and how best it can work for your company will be important. The only other "negative" are auditors. Tremendous advantage to have them using the Blackline tool, but auditors can be difficult to convince to use the tool since it lowers their hours spent auditing and, theoretically, lowers their fees. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Blackline has enabled a more global approach to account reconciliations and how we do things. Blackline has also helped eliminate the mundane tasks, that need to get done, but do not add value at the end of the day. Let the tool do the work, so we can focus on more important tasks. Separately, payback has been huge. The Task module has allowed a lot of insight into redundant tasks, enabling regionalized tasks, removed siloes, and given visibility to our whole process. Our month end close dropped from six days to two. Not all because of Blackline, of course, but Blackline spearheaded the bulk of that reduction between the Task and Journal Entry Modules. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

STCM
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

The product is able to handle the tremendous volumes of transactions and offers automation solutions to performing some recurring/repetitive tasks in the reconciliation process.

To crown it all, is the auto matching/offsets is able to identify the accrual/provisions and settlements/reversals of related transactions through a set of matching criteria and offset them or propose them as offsets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There could be an opportunity for Blackline accounts reconciliation product to give an extract/report of the detailed open item at any month end.

The product can sometimes be a bit rigid in terms of the user interface. I think this could be improved.

As a question, does Blackline have a functionality that allows for non-leading ledger reconciliation to leverage on reconciliations already done under the leading ledger? I think this could be an opportunity areas as well if it is not already available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Once you have a taste of what Blackline offers, you will surely ask more.

Considering the following advantages, any business will always want more....

Streamlined and standardized preparation of accounts reconciliation schedules/supports.

Efficiency in the process with a cut down on time spent of repetitive tasks in the process.

Increased visibility of the balance sheet accounts risk monitoring and management system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manage Hydrocarbon Inventory Analyst
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

Blackline support team has doing the well job to help user and customer to solve the system problem. The Architect and Solution team are always keep on the updates for Blackline from time to time. They provide the professional skill and advices when create any new API and feature into Blackline. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Blackline system has bring a lot convenience to our users. The data which stored into Blackline cloud is very safe and secure. The blackline layout also easy to use and understand, but there are still certain feature might be unfamiliar to me and do not know the existing of the feature able to bring extra convenience to me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is using across the whole organization. We use it for the reconciliation and journal master to SAP ERP system. It able to address the problem of "variance" or "outstanding amount" between SAP R1 and R3. Report which download from Blackline able to be used for detecting the variance versus the last year report. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Supervisor
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

This story is from my Preparer role in Blackline utilizing the matching and reconciliation modules to complete the customer refund check clearing account. The matching tool allowed us to match about 90% of customer refund checks between the general ledger and subledger. The other 10% I would have to research and manually match. After matching about 80% of the unmatched 10% I would have to categorize that final 10% that made up the balance in the account. So each month I would have anywhere from 15 to 30 reconciling items to enter into Blackline. If I made a mistake in any of those number the hunt began. I had to check all 15 to 30 items for my error. Then one day, I learned about the import function in the reconciling items screen. Oh happy days! I went from take anywhere between 20 minutes to two hours to seconds to upload the 15 to 30 reconciling items. Thus making the import function, while very simple my favorite function. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I had to think about my dislikes for a moment. As a preparer I would say the manual matching process. However, around the time I stopped using the module I learned that the manual matches could be uploaded. So I would say this is a user knowledge issue. As a reviewer, I would like prepares to be able to decertify account up to two days after they certify it once it's not past the preparer deadline. This will allow them to make changes without having to wait until a reviewer is available to reject the account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend that companies review the different modules/products Blackline has to offer. While you may have an SAP you are using for one function that you are not ready to change from there may be another product that you can replace an existing manual process with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My company has been using Blackline for years before I joined. I like that all the balance sheet accounts were being reconciled through Blackline. It gave one central place to prepare and review the accounts. My experience and knowledge is limited to the modules that I have used. The organization and streamlining of the process stands out to me as the benefits. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

I primarily use Blackline for monthly reconciliations and I like the idea that I can clone prior month's open item and change the totals and open dates without having to re-enter the same information each month. It saves me a lot of time since many of our open items are repetitive but total amounts change from month to month. I also like the option to group zero dollar reconciliations- our previous tool has required us to reconcile each account separately regardless of balance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps too many reconciliation templates offered. Our group had a difficulty trying to choose between the templates and several employees has to switch templates after one month. Once we figured out which ones work though, reconciliations became a breeze. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ability to reconcile multiple accounts quickly and opportunity for our auditors to login and review Blackline rather than coming to us directly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Controller
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

Blackline allowed us to consolidate our close process into one system. We were previously using three separate systems to close our books. Blackline consolidated all of that for us. Blackline also streamlines the close process and removes the need for many spreadsheets for reconciliations through use of their templates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Blackline can be a costly system if you use their transaction matching module and use it to match 10,000+ transactions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Streamlined our close, allows us to reconcile bank accounts daily with a high level of full automation. Allows the team to work simultaneously without interruption or replication conflicts. Allows us to auto reconcile accounts based on pre-determined criteria. Removal of most spreadsheets with usage of templates, keeping us from errors. We were able to clean up our tasks and reconciliations by integrating the two together. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Android Developer with Kotlin
What do you like best?

Blackline is an easy-to-use, fast and easy-to-implement tool for consumers to learn. Outstanding training courses are included in the package and the workout is unique in nature, making it easy for staff not only to learn the format, than to become specialists with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It will be essential to have an individual in ones corporation management and support of the tool if you have multiple Blackline modules. You like to make sure that your use is consistent and you want someone to maximize your capital expenditure. Blackline is reliable and so it is important for you to have someone to study the format and how much it works best for your business. Auditors are the only other 'negative.' The enormous advantage of using the Blackline instrument is that auditors cannot convince themselves to be using the format because it reduces their auditing hours and reduces their fees. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Our closeness has been simplified, allowing us to balance bank accounts with a top standard of complete automation every day. Enables the workers to focus without interruption or conflict replication at the same time. It enables us to reconcile accounts by predetermined criteria automatically. Abolition of many of these tablets using templates, preventing errors. By integrating both together we have been responsible for cleaning up thei given task and restructurings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I would advise companies to review Blackline's various modules/products. While users may have had a SAP, you may have another product that may be able to replace the existing manual process with it for another feature that you're not even open to adapt. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Accountant
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

Switching over to doing our reconciliations in Blackline has been great. We used to do everything in Excel and everyone had their own way of setting up their reconciliations. Now, if anyone transitions into a new position, it's easy to follow how the reconciliations are prepared and they are so much easier to review. Also, being able to load information from a subledger has been a game changer! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish the dashboards refreshed on their own and more quickly, but that's really my only complaint. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

At least consider looking at the product. It really does make an impact on the time spent on reconciliations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ease of preparation and review has given us back time to work on other things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Manager, Technical Accounting
What do you like best?

Visibility and organizational abilities. It allows everyone in the finance department to review journals, tasks, account reconciliations, in addition to the support that has been uploaded to each item respectively. This also allows for ease during the audit process as all available support is housed in one location for the main contact (or the auditors) to access and review. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not all of the new information is transferred from NetSuite to BlackLine. For example, if we create a new account, department, vendor, project, etc. this needs to be manually uploaded into BlackLine to be able to use the new item created. This process is easy to do; however it is manual and is an extra step during the close process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend this product to any accounting department. It makes your close process much more efficient! It is most helpful when you implement the journal entry, account reconciliations and tasks module as they all can interact with one another to make the close process more efficient. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have made our month/quarter/year end close processes much more efficient. Our Company went from performing tasks manually, on paper, with hand written notes and organizing the final products into binders to now housing all of our work electronically with electronic approvals and review notes. This has cut down on the amount of paper / binder space / time that each person spent on the close. This has also made all of the work performed by each finance member visible to the group. Managers performing flux analyses now have visibility to review account recs performed by other people in the finance department to review data to include in their analyses. The reporting function out of BlackLine has been great to track month end close progress as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AT
What do you like best?

I like using mange assignments feature under the action button. It allows us assign quickly all the reconciliations from one preparer to another. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that when a groups gets certified and we want to decertified it, you have to log into blackline as role make a job request to decertify the account group, change the role back as system admin and then approve the request. It seems like too many steps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to complete our SOX test on balance account it very efficiently. We have a quick report to find out when the all the reconciliations are done. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

BlackLine has been extremely helpful for our organization especially during month end close. It's much easier to track month end tasks having everything in one central location and knowing who the preparer and reviewers are as well as when things are due. BlackLine has been useful as well in doing account reconciliations. Additionally, gathering SOX support for those account reconciliations are much easier especially with the account certification details readily available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not have any dislikes about BlackLine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Staff Accountant II
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

I really like the account reconciliation module, it really helps to create consistency across multiple account types and if implemented correctly can reduce the amount of time required to bring new people up to speed on the reconciliation process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The reporting user interface is very cumbersome, it can be very difficult without a lot of walkthroughs to get the desired results. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Transaction matching for high volumes of transaction, as well as inconsistencies across reconciliations across multiple account types. We have been able to automate high volume transaction matching to reduce the time required to manually match and resolve unmatched items. As well as the added benefit of a consistent process across multiple departments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

From a corporate level, we benefit most from the greater visibility to all accounts across all entities. This allows us a faster way to review activity and performance from all our locations through a shared platform that is easier to communicate issues. Having a shared platform for all users to use also minimizes the risk of miscommunication. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Like any developing platform, there remains some features that would be considered more personalized that are not yet available in Blackline. However, we've managed to utilized Blackline's existing features to help us find a workaround. Additionally, the Blackline support portal and technical representatives are extremely helpful in helping us better understand our issue and available solutions that Blackline platform can provide. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Carefully review current company's procedures from beginning to end to properly assess needs that Blackline can address. The more information that Blackline implementation consultant has in the beginning phase, the more effective the end result will look (vs having to step back to consider fixing initial implementation efforts). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Problems with timely and quality account reconciliations have been solved with Blackline. Our company has achieved greater transparency in our monthly numbers. Having the same platform, account reconciliation template and reconciliation features allow our company to streamline the account reconciliation process consistently across all our entities. By standardizing the basic features of the account reconciliation, we are able to have our users focus more attention to the quality of the reconciliation and build improved procedures to investigate account activities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We've been working on Blackline Implementation for a little over a year. Transaction Matching has proved to be a most valuable tool, as it takes transactions that we would spend entire days and weeks sifting through and it matches them in minutes. It has also helped our accounting department with their Account Reconciliations. They are very pleased with the product.

Our next step will be to try and implement Daily Reconciliations for the Cashiering & Treasury Department for all Credit Card transactions on campus. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like for Transaction Matching to allow for more data sources, rather than just three, per match set. (Three is already impressive, but there are recons we have that require four and even five data sources to be matched). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We're figuring out how to take the recons for Credit Cards and for the accountants and get them done sooner and with more accuracy than if we continue to do them manually. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EH
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

I like the ability to do free form journal entries and have a workflow tracking. I also like that there is an ability to track monthly tasks to ensure they are completed with sign-off workflow, including certifications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It seems that they system administrator has to do a lot of things. For example, if a user puts in a task, the system administrator has to review/approve it. Two issues: (1) if the task is not a controls issue, there should be a way to skip the administrator. (2) The other issue is that for all modules, such as tasks and accounts, if you put in the required field items, for example a process, but it is not in the drop down, once you save it (even for the system admin), the field is blank. You can only choose from drop down items unless you have the system administrator load via the template instead of directly inputting. I find this frustrating. You also cannot edit certain fields, even if you are the system administrator. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ensure you hire a really good implementor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

controls, shorten close Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Improved real-time visibility

Standardised & centralised recon source

Embedded controls & auto-certification

Focus on analysis and exception management Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not everyone is adaptable to change and modernisation Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great investment.

Blackline will provide Improved real-time visibility. You are able to see all your organisations reconciliations at any point int time and this also help with the latest accounting concept of continuous accounting.

Blackline also provides Standardised & centralised recon source. You don't have to go and look for binders of files for the reconciliations or call metro file to get the reconciliation out of archiving. The recons are available in one source in the cloud. We also use the standard templates that are provided by blackline and we now have 7 standard reconciliations that are prepared

Blackline also provides embedded controls & auto-certification so you know that your reconciliations have gone through a workflow for the preparers and reviewers. Also where balances don't change for example, the reconciliation will auto certify and no further work is required thereby stream-lining your work to the most important reconciliations

There is more focus on analysis and exception management Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Wanted to completeness of reconciliations, which we now have

Wanted visibility of the actual reconciliations across areas, which we now have

Wanted standardisation of reconciliations which we now have Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.