Bitly Reviews & Product Details

Bitly Overview

What is Bitly?

Bitly is the world's leading link management platform, offering tools, data and analytics that allow businesses to own their customer experiences. Bitly turns links --already simple and ubiquitous-- into powerful and versatile assets. Bitlinks strengthen brand integrity, cut across channels, devices and walled gardens, and collect actionable insights along the way. Bitly's Enterprise version powers linking experiences for the world's largest brands. With features like branded short links, mobile deep linking, expanded analytics and user management, Bitly Enterprise is a one-stop tool that creates, organizes, optimizes, and displays insights from all the links dispersed across an entire business, internally and externally.

Bitly Details
Discussions
Bitly Community

Bitly’s complete Link Management Platform empowers businesses of every size to embed short, branded call-to-action links in their communications using tools, analytics, and insights to maximize the impact of every digital initiative.

Bitly is the unrivaled global leader in link management, employing an ultra-modern infrastructure capably generating over 2.3 billion links per year that drive 20 billion clicks every month—no alternative link shortening provider comes close. Bitly’s experience and longevity are unmatched with a 12-year track record of 99.9% uptime serving some of the biggest brands in the world, including two-thirds of the Fortune 500. With fully customizable branded links, complete campaign management, an open, flexible API—enabling over 7,000 integrations and counting—and tracking on over 20 metrics with every click, Bitly truly sets standard for link management.

Bitly, Inc.
2008
New York, NY
@Bitly

Bitly Videos

Bitly Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Bitly community
Have you used Bitly before?

Bitly Reviews

Showing 222 Bitly reviews
Ratings (1)
Already have Bitly?
Head of Social Media
Chief Do-Gooder
What do you like best?

I have used Bitly for well over a decade, and recommended it to many peers and clients. It's such an easy way to create and track shortened URLs. It's terrific to look at clicks in a glance. I don't think it's as comprehensive as Google Analytics, but GA is so much harder to navigate and use, in my opinion. For a quick look and general guidance, this has done the trick for me. And I also love that you can customize them in both the free and pro plans. Saving space on social media posts is very important, and no one wants to click a really long link anyway. I also use Bitly links when I give presentations since they're easy for people to see and write down, and again, easy to track. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have no real complaints, but you do "hide" rather than delete links you don't want/use, which I don't prefer. But even with all the other options that have popped up over the years, Bitly is still my go-to for short links. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use it to easily track link clinks, create custom links for important Calls to Action, and save space on social media posts. It does all three really well. I've used it at as a solopreneur and also an employee at a larger organization, and it works great in both cases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communications Coordinator
What do you like best?

You can create as many trackable links as you need. Every time you create a new link you title it so it is easy to search for in the future. Very user friendly. The free version lets me do everything I need to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They layout of the website isn't the most appealing. The product is very user friendly and is free, there is not much to dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a affordable way to track your posts on social media or on your website, this is a great product. The product is very user friendly and is a great resource. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to see how many people are reading our stories or clicking our links on social media. I can track what countries people are in when viewing our social media posts. I am also able to see how many people are reading our monthly newsletter on our website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Associate
What do you like best?

Super helpful for social campaigns like Twitter that have character caps Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Only the free version lets you customize Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep it simple and keep a naming convention. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Shortneing URLs for social campaigns as well as analytics Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Bitly is a very amazing tool, in most of the functions that it contains integrated, mostly its ease of use in the configurations that anyone can adapt, to direct them to our most comfortable and convenient environment when exercising the work process on this platform , I like this software because all the links that we can create, or those that the system provides us automatically, are fully customizable, which are totally flexible to remember and reproduce. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It contains certain negative declines in its operating system, including flaws that are visible to the naked eye, one of these is that the information must be more expanded on the clicks of links, as well as the duration of time on the website of each one of the users who concentrate in large crowds to know specifically in numbers, including that the button to create a url in Bitly, should be in bold and if best possible in the middle of the central page of the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bitly allows you to create well structured and memorable links, it makes it look much more professional, so you can share them on any public platform, to have more users to the central websites that your organization has in the cloud, which includes tests , for the correct verification and approval of each of the urls that you want to make with the entered content, especially for compatibility with a particular system, highlighting that you can try to use it for free, and then decide if you want to update it and get many more features about it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can mention that one of the tasks that our department manages is the sending of push notifications to the multiple users that focus on our platform, and we use Bitly to track the exact number of individuals who carry out their operations in the digital facilities of my organization, including that we also use this software to provide clients with links on the web pages that we have based on the comments, in order to carry out the support to the operators, in an efficient way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Marketing
What do you like best?

Everyone knows what Bitly does. It requires no explanation because everyone has either used or seen a Bitly URL. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The free version is limited. However, this is understandable because they need to offer some reason for upgrading to the paid versions of this service. I would not expect the free version of the software to include all the features. It is sufficient for the free version to give you a taste of what the paid upgrade can do for you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the free version and upgrade if you need additional features. There are many ways to shorten URLs and Bitly stands out because everyone knows what it is and how to use the short form URLs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I often use Bitly when I'm giving a presentation at a conference and need a short version of a URL to share with the audience. In this case, it's not important for me to layer additional marketing insights on these URL redirects, so I just use the free version. When I need a branded and shortened URL for my marketing, I use a URL shortening plugin within my WordPress website. This allows me to track the number of visits going to that short form URL and adjust the redirect when required. These features are included with the upgraded version of Bitly, but that comes with a monthly fee. Using the plugin within my WordPress website allows me to create these same features with a one-time payment for the plugin rather than an ongoing monthly subscription. However, this is not an ideal solution for a larger organization which may require a significant number of people to create short form URLs without access to their company WordPress installation. Given the size of my business, this is an efficient solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like this software to a great extent because it integrates with other social media management platforms, for which these links are automatically shortened and synchronized with Bitly, for this of so many reasons why I like this system, it is possible It should be noted that these synchronizations can be customizable to the users' tastes, having a comfortable perspective regarding the tools that it offers, underlining that it allows labels to help organize all the content, in an extraordinary way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We can reserve in context that this software contains restrictions, since several social platforms do not accept links with Bitly, which can become a problem for companies that work with these applications and need to work with this software and are not allows, due to denied access authorizations, without excluding that it only provides a short period of time for reporting, which causes frustration at the time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great tool totally free for all sales professionals in social networks or in digital marketing, to place the software in their list of favorites, mentioning that it is fantastic to track links, clicks, geographical regions, and helps to show the brands in a forceful way, it also helps to create easy-to-use short links to share them on different platforms, that is, it assigns channels to each url created for massive dissemination. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bitly was implemented in our organization mainly for publications on social networks, fundamentally to establish marketing campaigns, in order to reach more potential customers and obtain more income by publishing our products not only on essential digital marketing pages but also through of these media, attracting success in its entirety, optimizing in sequence the monitoring of users belonging to the platform with clicks through rates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Vice President Of Mortgage Lending
What do you like best?

Bitly gives us the ability to take any URL and brand it with our company's name. It also shortens the URL to a much more recognizable URL. When sending an SMS or chat with an URL included Bitly makes it much more effective and user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The monthly cost for branded URLs can be considered a little high if you do not use it regularly or effectively. Make sure your marketing, social media and customer service representatives are all aware that you have a Bitly account so they can maximize your organizations use of the service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Shortening a random 30-40+ characters URL to 10-15 relevant characters makes it much easier to share links via SMS and chat messaging. By branding URLs with our company domain with Bitly we are able to ease our customers concerns about visiting "unknown" or "suspicious" URLs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This is the most important item for anyone marketing video games. Bit.lys branded allow you indepth understanding of your attribution Its one of the best programs out there to do that.

We use it across our entire marketing and its one of the best programs out there for quality of tracked links.

The website is simple to use and the content is easy. The ability to upload url's in bulk is fantastic. The campaign structure is great - it would be amazing to have a bit more in-depth knowledge but its not a huge issue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Cost - Its not the cheapest tool out there but you get what you pay for. The biggest other issue is that exporting data can be a little bit challenging and the actual UI is sometimes a bit confusing for people who aren't me using it - however that basically never happens so its fine.

The only ohter issue is that the API is a bit of a mouthful - as a non-native coder, I struggle a smidge with getting the API to validate but that's partly a problem with oAuth as opposed to Bit.ly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are some alternatives out there but bit.ly has the best intergration with google analytics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We're actually able to track influencers work with bit.ly and we don't have to rely on their "statistics" which can sometimes be over-ly exaggerated. We're also able to track on places normally impossible to track on, and people don't hate it as we have a branded bit.ly it looks legit.

We've had really good retention and click through and it helps us understand drop of fon our website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Marketing Specialist
What do you like best?

It's really easy to use - has instructions to help you get started. You can easily link your own custom domain so you can create personalized, and recognisable links for you website. There's a free version and a paid version so it's accessable to all. There's also analytics so you can track you link activity from different sources - for example, you can see charts for top referrers, link click location, a timeline for when people click (30 days on the free plan, 90 days on the basic plan and up to 2 years on the enterprise plan). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

On the free version you have to have "bit.ly" at the start of your personalized link and you can only customize 50 back-half links per month which doesn't look as professional to customers from a business perspective. On the free plan you can also only create just 1,000 links per month which for a small business would be more than enough but for a large company this would be far exceeded. In order to access 1,500 branded links and a custom domain you need the basic plan which is $35 per month and to access QR Codes, City-Level Data, 1-100+ custom domains you need a quote for the enterprise plan which is very expensive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look at how often your client/company uses links and then make an informed decision as to whether they need a basic or enterprise plan rather than a free plan. I would definitely recommend to anyone no matter the size of the business as it's a great free tool! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was unsure where exactly links where coming from to my clients websites when running campaigns - I can see how many links came from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc.. so I know which platform was most successful/had the best results from my campaigns. Using bitly allows me to customise the stortened URL so customers know exactly what the link is for and it looks short and appealing e.g. bit.ly/Shop-Footwear rather than www.asos.com/shop/women's/shoes.com whereas before long ugly links put customers off clicking, especially on social media. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Advertising and Technology Manager
What do you like best?

Bitly helps us not only shorten longer links for campaigns, but they also have helped provide meaningful data behind who is interacting with our content. This includes the number of link clicks and traffic/referral sources. We use the platform to inform users that have subscribed to our candidate communications when there will be a job fair in their area. Sending them customized links to be easily accessed on a mobile platform has increased the number of overall viewers and attendees to our events. This allows us to make the timely hires we need to keep our business on top of it's game. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We were able to tie a custom domain to our Bitly account to make our links more personalized. With the settings configured to work properly, we aren't able to use that domain for purposes outside of Bitly. However, this isn't a major issue for us because we purchased a separate domain for this purpose. It may pose a challenge to others wanting to use something like their website domain. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bitly is the go-to name for URL shortening, but if you're looking for quick and customizable insights about your links, I would recommend that you give them a try.. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Bitly to shorten links that are sent via SMS to users who have opted into SMS communications with us. More specifically, we use them to invite candidates who have applied for a job with us and we are notifying them of a hiring event in their area. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I use Bitly in my partnership and sales department to shorten links and paste urls in a tidy fashion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm pretty satisfied with it just how it is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bitly is a great tool for anyone looking to track url metrics and shorten links. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Shorten links. Bitly helps to turn long URLs into shorter ones that can also be customized. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Manager
What do you like best?

The Bitly brand is well known and trusted, so when using the free service with the bit.ly links, I could trust that my links would still be clicked on. I’ve never had any issues with bitly links triggering any security issues. Using the premium service with a branded URL, and premium features such as redirect and in-depth analytics, has allowed me to keep on top of which content is performing best, and make changes when needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Lack of back-half customisations on integrations, for example on Google’s UTM generator. You can only customise the back half by going to your Bitly account and making the edit once you’ve created the link in The Google tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely contact them for a quote to ensure you are getting the right type of account. That is the only other downside I felt - moving from a free user to paid user didn’t have the range of options on the website I needed, and the process to then get a customised quote and sign up was a bit tedious. I just wish you could customise your own quote on the site and sign up automatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We work with various partners, so being able to give them a custom link allows us to see which links are actually being used, so we know when our efforts are worth the time. As well, the branded short domain just levels up our professionalism. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Arts Designer
What do you like best?

I appreciate how userfriendly the interface is. From creating links to viewing up to date analytics, I never have questions about the value of the service I am being provided. Additionally, we had a great experience working within their platform to create a branded URL. The instructions were clear and the branded URL has allowed followers to feel confident in the link they are clicking on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only downside I have experienced is that it is a challenge to get our billing information. Most vendors send a monthly invoice but with Bitly I have to dig back into my account information. It's a few extra steps that could be made easier by sending a monthly invoice via email. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give Bitly a try to see what a truly powerful tool it is. For your social media to print marketing, it's a great addition to your strategy.

Keep your links fresh and updated. Use the analytics as a tool for reposting content for a greater reach. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bitly allows me to post longer-form content to Twitter and LinkedIn by providing branded shortened links. Our followers TRUST what they are clicking on because our brand name is involved with the link. I never realized it was much of an issue but I have seen our click-throughs increase as well as our traffic to the page where the long-form content is hosted.

We have also benefitted from this resource to make short links that can be easily remembered. A huge help on Instagram and when advertising events, etc.

The shortened links are incredibly powerful for print items as well. Our designers had appreciated it as well as customers when getting a brochure, etc.

The analytics allow me to know if a link is underperforming and what can I do to rephrase the copy and repost to drive more people to click.

Overall it's a powerful tool that has made a positive impact on every area of our marketing department. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Supervisor IT Operations / Cloud
What do you like best?

I like simplicity and control over your short url database.

It provides clear reports and visibility of the groups that click the links which guide us where to point the marketing strategy based on devices, country Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not able to delete Short urls

It would be nice to have an option to export it in a seamless way as part of the yearly contract,

It would be really good to haver some support option inside the yearly contract cost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I like it because it is a seamless short url platform which offers a good dashboards and reports of the use of the short urls created. Probably the best enterprise application in the market offering this service Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Centralize short url management.

Report who is really using the short urls

A company support with good reports Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Bit.ly is very user friendly with only a few steps to make the URLs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Several of the latest updates have been harder to understand. It would be great if they would break down the steps in simple, easy to read, steps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommend. I have used this product for years and it is intuitive to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's helped in tracking the engagement of campaigns and specific posts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

i like to edit and rename the links I shorten into something I need, not just any random link creation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

sometimes it takes some time to redirect to the actual link. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Well if you share so much content, then this tool is for you, it helps you manage your links professionally. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

creating short links that fits in limited charactes texts, removes the ugliness in social media long links posts. Keeps tracking of usage of your link, and sources of link clicks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Online Marketing & Communications Associate
What do you like best?

Its a straight forward url link shortener there are not unnecessarry process needed just login or sign up and put in the link you want to be shorten then you will get the short link in instant. Another feature that i like was the analytics it has per short link created. It shows the total click and sorted by date, also the referrence where the users received open the link and also the geographic location if the link. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

i wish there is a option to remove or delete the short link that you've created. it would be a nice option too since if your doing some survey you can actually delete the short link especially if you dont want a lots of short link in your bitly account to manage. It onky has hide option but i think delete would be much better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bitly is indeed a tool for making links shorter and can even provide small analytics about your link. The data if can gather can also act as a supporting data for your research and can also be use in another one. Bitly is straightforward, easy to use, and has a friendly UI. creating account is easy because you can use your Google account, Twitter or Facebook to Log in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

sending long links before can cause confusion and can intimidate other people. some may not be even interested if you send them long links so having bitly makes it more professional and shorter and even pleasing in the eye. as for the side of our respondents they can easily view the link because it was short and accompanied by a short message indicating personal gratitude if they actually participate in the survey. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Simplicity, platform user experience and reliable. The dashoboard is useful and campigns are easy to track with Bitly. Go live process is easy, without paper work o requirements and also the start of processes are not complex. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Should allow users to create their own bitly domains without the standard ones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Is useful, easy to iimplement and not so expensive, marketing campaings whitout butly are les powerful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

SMS opening ratio and mail marketong performance. Makes traking and analytics easy to do. Before was difficult to track each channel and campaigns across them, with bitly we have full track of channels and campaigns. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

How easy it is to create a link to shorten and distribute it, in addition to the usage statistics of the link it provides. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It does not allow me to edit the links after they are created Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Is perfecto for URL Shortener Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In past days we created an app and we did some workouts, we also had to distribute the app in the same workouts, so we created a short link using bitly and that was very difficult for us when you passed the link. All users learned it quickly and easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The fact that Its a URL shortener. What’s there not to love about that. I find this best when posting to social media where number of characters plays a role in what you can post. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints at all. Bitly offers a great product that I would highly recommend to others for use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has been beneficial because it allows me to post more content to social media by shortening the URL, hence allowing me more space / characters to post to blogs what I really want to say. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best thing about it is the UI. It's so elegant and makes navigation so easy. I had no troubles understanding the platform whatsoever. One of the primary concerns about the platforms is that people have troubles understanding how to use them. In my case, I was guided by a lot of tutorials that were made available to the customers for their easement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It takes some time to setup CNAME records. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just got for it, don't think much. You'll love it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was able to link a lot of domains to bitly. This made it easier to visit them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how it is so simple to integrate with our system as well as how easy it was to set up branded link within bitly. The account support is also awesome, i have never had to wait more than a day for any question which is a huge positive. That has meant I never had my management waiting for answers too long and it made signing up with bitly extremely easy. A lot of interest was shown towards our use case as well which was a good conversation with some useful pointers provided as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Consumed links and remaining links should have a better interface to show how many remain. Especially for those consuming links via API - it does alert at 50% and 80% via email but it should also do so at 95%. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Very simple use case: use bitly to shorten survey links to send via SMS. The biggest benefit is obviously saving costs when sending longer SMS but it also looks better with a branded link. It was surprisingly easy to integrate our branded link within bitly which gives us an edge over competitors as it is really short and represents our brand well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.