BigTime Reviews & Product Details

Partner
What do you like best?

BigTime integrates with QuickBooks Online, so there was no manual transition to utilize the software. We were looking for a way to implement labor codes, project numbers, etc., which is beyond what we're able to do as a QuickBooks customer. We are not big enough to justify the cost of Ajera - BigTime is user friendly and straight-forward. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I kept forgetting to save changes when I first added detail to our projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

BigTime does not yet integrate with Payroll Services (such as ADP), but is a much more sophisticated and user friendly option to QuickBooks for project management, time tracking and invoicing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are tracking budgets more closely and we're able to see specifically what tasks need efficiencies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

BigTime Overview

What is BigTime?

BigTime is the access-anywhere operating system behind the greatest consulting firms on the planet. We help accountants, architects, engineers, IT-services firms, scientific and management consultants budget, track and bill their most important asset - time. In fact, BigTime users have increased their gross margins by 25%, on average, with our business-adaptable tools for resource allocation, workflow and task management, project planning and tracking, billing and invoicing with Quickbooks integration, and Gantt charts. Sign up for a free trial.

BigTime Details

Everything you ever wanted in a time management app. Industry-savvy time tracking. One-click invoicing. Customizable reports. Seamless QuickBooks integration.

We Get It.

We listened to you and created BigTime for what real users want to accomplish, so our software already understands how to do project management for your industry.

We Adapt to You.

BigTime is as multi-functional as your firm needs it to be. Our software adapts to your business, and you can rely on BigTime to manage your projects and resources, from the drafting table to completion.

We’re the Right Size.

No matter the size of your firm, BigTime scales to your ambitions, whether you want billing software that talks to Quickbooks, invoices featuring your logo, or Gantt charts.

We Offer Excellent Support.

More than anything, people like that BigTime is easy to use, and that we offer direct access to our world-class customer support and success reps.

We’re Rated Better.

It’s plain to see why we’re rated so highly: BigTime is built for how you do business.

BigTime
2002
Chicago, IL
@BigTimeSoftware

BigTime Videos

BigTime Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the BigTime community
Have you used BigTime before?

BigTime Reviews

Showing 937 BigTime reviews
Already have BigTime?
Architectural Technologist
What do you like best?

As a user, it makes my life easier in terms of tracking my hours/tasks. It's also a great tool in scheduling and monitoring progress. Moreover, I could use it from a mobile device which makes it totally convenient. This is way better than the time tracking tool we used to have. It's easy to clean up since there's an option to clear blank rows. Overall, I like BigTime's interface - it's WELL INTEGRATED, straightforward, simple and clean. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We encountered a glitch on the system before but BigTime team fixed it right away.

I'm probably just nit-picking but I don't like the step where I have to put notes under my hours; but it could be a great feature for other people. Other than that, I can't think of anything that I would like to change about BigTime. In a user's perspective, it is great just the way it is. But there is always room for improvement and I'm looking forward to any upgrade BigTime will implement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

No turning back when you use BigTime. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It saves time in scheduling, assigning tasks and monitoring progress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

I wanted a system that helped my team track time and manage projects. This checked those boxes and so much more. I love the SalesForce and QuickBooks integrations. Almost every section is customizable so I can use my team's jargon. This cut down on our wramp up time - which saved money! The cherry on top is the white glove service the BigTime team provided.

I am a happy client! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The training fee. I get it, but I also wish it was optional. I honestly feel like I could've watched a video and learned what I needed to learn. Our trainer Marni is amazing. I know I learned faster and better because of her. However, I am not sure I learned soooo much that it was worth the cost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the trial and see how much time you will save for yourself and your team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The big problem solved is time tracking. I love that I can start a timer and it will automatically update in the timesheet. I've used other software that did something similar, but I couldn't correct mistakes. If I forgot to switch timmers, there was no undo button. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manager of Professional Services
What do you like best?

We love how BigTime automates a lot of project stats that we were manually tracking using SharePoint and Excel in the past. The Utilization dashboard has been very useful in determining the available capacity of our engineers and when we need to grow the team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if you could customize the theme of the GUI, but it's not a deal breaker. Additionally, the ability to automate reports and have them emailed out would save even more time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are automating Profit & Loss reports that we had to manually do in the past across multiple applications and portals. We are also realizing the true billability of our engineers to properly determine their workloads and utilization. Finally, the customizability of the reports has also allowed us to track technology trends and project durations easily to optimize our service delivery and increase profit margins. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

C
What do you like best?

Ease of learning and using BigTime software,

The White Glove Service and our amazing Customer Success Manager Marni! She has been wonderful in helping us setup and implement this software. She is so thorough in everything and only an email or phone call away to answer and/or help with any needs or questions!

This software makes tracking billable & non-billable hour, expenses and projects go much more smoothly!

Being able to customize settings, field values that align with our business system is extremely helpful and very much liked!

The Knowledge base section BigTime provides is very insightful when you have a quick question on the software or just to learn more on what BigTime offers prior to any training.

BigTime also has integration with QuickBooks, makes setup, invoicing and time tracking easy!

For Project Management using BT and all of its features has been wonderful! You can easily create new projects and add in tasks that go in with these projects and track where each project is at in its process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Have not come across any feature yet that we dislike! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are needing a good software for tracking all aspects of your clients and projects, this is a great software to have! If you are a QuickBooks user definietly utilize the integration feature! This feature made the setup process a lot more efficient and easier! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tracking billable and non-billable hours and expenses for business and client projects, along with being able to manage all aspects of a project and see where these projects are at. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Operations Manager
What do you like best?

BigTime is very user friendly but if you ever have any issues or just need training their customer service team is world class. Ben Kinsel is our CSM and is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. He has really helped us to utilize BigTime to the fullest extent of the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's so customizable that it can take awhile to get it dialed in and working the way your company wants it to. That being said, the CS team is there for you every step of the way and makes it easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

BigTime handles all of our project management and services tracking. Benefits include scheduling with consultants, timekeeping, invoicing/billing, and all the reporting you could ever want. We still aren't utilizing the software 100% to its capacity but it does everything we need and then some. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accounting Assistant
What do you like best?

I love how user friendly this program is. We recently switched from WorkBook and I don't ever want to look back because of how difficult it was. BigTime is well organized, I LOVE that I can save things or undo things in a simple click.

I'm still new to using it, but I must say one of my favorite things is probably the connection between BigTime and Quickbooks. I work a lot with Quickbooks, and the fact that things are linked and I can simply click "sync" and information transfers between the two means less duplicate entry work for me, and much less margin for error. I don't mind doing the work in any way, but this has already been incredibly helpful already in alleviating more time for the rest of my tasks.

Also, the fact that they have a live chat for customer service is amazing. And when they're not live, they'll answer you via email very quickly. That is so essential to me because sometimes I can't wait a week for an answer like I have with other programs in the past. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far I haven't found much I have disliked about the software. I will say that I wish we could customize some of the categories. It will take some time but "Activity" from our previous software means something completely different than "Activity" in BigTime. I think it will just take a little time to get used to it, but eventually we will get the differences down. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try! You never know if you like something until you give it a chance. I'm sure there are lots of great programs out there, but this one I definitely recommend already, and we haven't even been using it that long! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The biggest problem I think that has been solved for my workday is probably the amount of time I save on being able to sync things between BigTime and Quickbooks. I feel like I used to waste so much time because I was having to manually enter in data to Quickbooks AND to our old program. I have a lot more time to work on my other tasks now that I'm not doing double duty. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I am an end user in BigTime. I am able to submit my hours for projects, review employee hours, and pull reports for clients. The system is easy to use and tracks everything we need. BigTime also allow us to track and submit expense reports. I am loving it! I just had my first experience with customer support and it was excellent as well. One of the most helpful things about BigTime is to be able to go back and look at the actions that were completed for a task and to see how much time it took. You can also track expenses and manage project expenses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As I learn more about the system, I am liking it more and more. There is not much to dislike about the software. I think it can be configured for many different purposes. I would suggest to set up time entries in a way that makes it simple for employees to follow and understand. But, I believe this is a task for the individual companies and not the BigTime software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Set up the projects so that time entry is easy for employees to follow and understand. Too many line items on project tasks can be confusing for employees to select the right task. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to track hours for different projects and task has been excellent. The software also allows us to submit expenses and it is easy to understand. We work with multiple different clients and the software allows us to track hour by hour which projects we are working on. There is also a function to track hours while the work is being performed, which is a nice feature. It has also been a nice way to track project expenses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Some of the reporting features and capabilities are very good if somewhat confusing.

The ability to enter time in either a grid or a per entry format is a nice feature.

The invoice WIP feature is pretty good Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The QB\job methodology vs the BT\Project is often confusing in how it handles QB clients who don't have jobs to start out.

It would be nice to see the ability to give indicators when projects are going over budget and where there is project data, consumed hours totals would be helpful rather than just dollars. Many project participants aren't privy to rates and or don't care.

It would be nice if there was a no charge option that showed up on the invoice vs a do not bill option; while we have created a work around, it is still confusing for some staff as they interpret that to mean "no charge", not "do not bill"

While BigTime is time & expense focused, it would be helpful to have at least a rudimentary items sales feature.

Customer terms should pull from QB and while an individual invoice or project may have unique terms that differ from the QB default, each invoice run should default back to the QB terms which BT doesn't pull (I have complained reported this)

The invoice WIP has a shortcoming if an staff member puts their entries under the wrong customer or project, correcting this issue is buried in the company staff member time tab.

Service contract management is very difficult in BT Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Negotiate a test environment that you can link to a test QB company for product evaluation and implementation planning.

Pay for the test environment and have you staff collaborate as a team to develop the method that works best for you.

Try to develop as much reporting as possible from within BigTime.

The API is functional but not intuitive and the documentation has holes in it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

BigTime was supposed to help streamline out billing and expense management process; over time, our methodology for working with the product, billing delays have been reduced although initially, it added a day to the process.

Expenses were never really embraced and are used only for adding line items to customer billing rather than consultant expense tracking as intended. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Hello Ben,

Big time has made tracking my expenses and work time sheets easy. I really like the choices to individually submit the different kinds of expenses without any hassle. The team has done a great job in developing and maintain the software to keep it free from any lags or connection problems even for the iPhone app version.

Thank you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It has been a great experience overall. It is just the app version does not indicate the status if the expenses have been submitted or approved. It would be great t add this feature to the app to make it a better version to stay updated in the phone app too. Making it an easier and friendly option to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is overall an easy app to work with. without requireing any help. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy expense and time sheet tracking Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager / Administrative Assistant
What do you like best?

I really love their reporting options - So far I have been able to build a report for just about any information that I want to pull out. The Reports themselves are not super pretty, but since I can simply export to excel or word it is super easy to make it look the way I want after pulling out the information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that I have to refresh the page to get it to update. I imagine this is a side effect of it being a web based application - so far it is a minor annoyance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely a cost effective solution for project management with good reporting options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed to have something that was easily to accessible to staff where ever they are at - this seems to fit the bill. I also like that they don't nickel and dime us .....there is included support thru chat, webinars, and an app. No hidden fees for custom reports, using an app or just getting help/answers to questions. Implementation was a bumpy ride for us - part of that was 'Covid' - but I feel like they could use a little more work streamlining their process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

The reporting and the totality of its features. We are doing so much within BigTime for our business and having one place for many required business functions is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

BigTime is not the most user interface friendly. While it is a normal interface (file folder layout), the embeddedness of the information can require lots of clicks. As well, it took me a long time to realize the best use case is to use multiple tabs for information, but that then requires lots of browser tabs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you take the plunge on the price, there is incredible value in the optimization of the tool Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are constantly in need of putting our team/resources on internal and client facing work, and BigTime's reports allow us to do so. As well, we can look at individual project tracking, company profitability tracking, and staff utilization (and forecasting). Having the ability to make the reports that I need for my business on my timeline is invaluable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

H
What do you like best?

Great customer service available on the live chat. Always have been extremely helpful to resolve my issues and answer my user questions. The software had great reporting and does the job overall. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I truly can not think of anything specific. I wish there were classes available to give a primer of the software to new users. It's quite intuitive, but it'd be awesome to have more guidance at the opening of the account, such as point me to basics video's. etc.

It'd be nice to have also the clock in and clock out feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

BigTime helps us record our employees time worked, per hours worked, per contract and labor category and per day. It supports our clients' invoicing as well as our payroll functions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

BigTime filled some huge gaps in our Accounting, Invoicing, and overall Project Management workflows. For us, the time tracking feature was just a bonus that let us drop Tsheets and save a little bit more money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I feel is really missing from BigTime is a true clock-in/clock-out feature. Employees have a timer that can be used to track their hours, but I don't think it tracks time of day or anything else. It would also be nice if there was a desktop application for superusers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

BigTime staff are very willing to work with you and give you a good deal on their software. Implementation can be as short as a month which is extremely fast compared to other solutions, but they don't force you into that timeframe. You get to schedule the time and date of each training session and invite whoever you want from the company to attend. I've had two different Success Reps, and both have been great. Ben has been more than helpful after Sam moved on from the company. Both were very accommodating to our company's needs though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The biggest things for us were automatic invoice generation and Project Management. Up until we found BigTime we were manually creating invoices at the end of each month in Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat and emailing them to clients. As you can probably imagine, this was very tedious and time consuming. Sometimes I could take several days to get a whole months worth of invoices out the door. In BigTime you just do some initial setup for the different types of invoices you need and generating one just takes a few clicks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President
What do you like best?

Integration with Quickbooks, overview dashboard, helpful training staff, personalized timesheet and reporting options, project management, invoicing, easy to use timesheets, multi tiered timesheet approval options, individualized oversight and permission options for staffing and project managers. Allocations, budgeting/tracking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of our early questions to technical support took some time to respond, but lately that turnaround has improved. Ideally the system would be more customizable than it is, yet is does have customizing options which is nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are currently doing project management manually or feel like you are working from an outdated system, this could be very helpful for you to add efficiency to your business, particularly if you have Quickbooks for accounting. If you are having trouble coordinating a group of employees and making sure they are staying on track and budget, this would be a useful program. The increase in efficiencies from management and budget tracking could alone pay for this program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Improved tracking and monitoring of employee performance and workflow. Streamlined new project entry and activation. Timesheet approval process. Automated reminders for overdue or coming due project deliverables. Labor hour tracking and income tracking and projections. Allocations Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Comptroller / Project Manager
What do you like best?

The ability to use Big Time as a single platform tool to track all aspect of a project and see where resources stand, actual time vs budgeted time. The customizable reports are the key to using the platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Complex program that is a bit overwhelming at first. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Allow yourself the time needed to setup and deploy. Spend time with the custom reports those are key! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have been able to track time spent on projects better after deploying Big Time and keep a closer eye on resources. The time sheet function has made our payroll reports easier to produce than our previous platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love that the software is easy to learn and set up in a very short amount of time. It doesn't include all the complicated and unusable features of some billing softwares. It's very transparent and editable for the average office personnel. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't experienced anything to dislike yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bigtime is a complete billing and project management software which is so very easy to set up. Forget the cumbersome, overcomplicated software that you need a year of training to run. Get back to actually managing your projects and billing with a software that is transparent, usable, and editable to your companies needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were using a very complicated billing software that so much extra training was needed just to use it efficiently. Our managers were so intimidated by our billing and project manager software that they really were not utilizing it. Bigtime is so very easy to set up so far. I'm looking forward to our management being able to utilize the reporting and making actual progress in the billing and project management for our company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

S
What do you like best?

The convenience of being able to suit expenses and hours on the go, without needing to visit the office or submit paper timesheets and expense reports. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The need for a phase to submit things like per diem and mileage, might just be me, but there are times I am contracting out and don't have a "phase" to associate with the overall project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't think about it any more, make the switch. This program has made my life easier and more organized. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping all my receipts and mileage logs in one place, without the need to hang on to physical copies,everything is well organized and easy to navigate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Strategy Officer (CSO)
What do you like best?

We only have one month in so far, but we love the user interface. We also love the support! Ben, our client success rep has been so patient with us, his training is incredibly helpful and all the guidance he’s given us so far is on point! We can’t wait to get up and running as we know this tool will undoubtedly become a lifeline for Dills Architects! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far... very little. There are a couple of coding issues that need to be tweaked (minor view editing), but we have been told BigTime’s programmers really listen to end users and improve its platform based off of customer feedback. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

For years, we’ve not had accurate and/or real time data to make sound business decisions off of. BigTime is changing that! We’re expecting big things out of BigTime and it’s our hope that BigTime will become our #1 business intelligence tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

user-friendly, quick reports, sync tool with QB integrations

looking forward to the scheduling and ghant chart features

so fare so good with tracking WIP and keeping track of billables etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

invoice template settings - should have preview setting rather than going back and forth

More options to select for settings and to include a feature to add email and site location on the invoice on top versus in notes on the bottom.

gray scroll bar not easy to see

submit button should be a pop up or on top easy to miss no bottom

Need easier way to update change vendor invoice info when in invoicing (sometimes need tochange the amount and/or record actual hours) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As I continue to work in BT I am learning new ways to easily edit and apply time to invoicing as well as making the billing easier and manageable with less stress Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Invoice questions with some missing data

learned other ways to check and validate expenses and time to push to invoice Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.