Banner by Ellucian

3.0

Banner strengthens every major workflow in higher education, from student recruiting and retention to talent attraction and management.

Work for Banner by Ellucian?

Learning about Banner by Ellucian?

Banner by Ellucian Reviews

Ask Banner by Ellucian a Question
Showing 163 Banner by Ellucian reviews
Banner by Ellucian review by Nataliya P.
Nataliya P.

"Banner program "

What do you like best?

I like how well the program is organized and split in sections for different departments, some work with students other work with budget and finance like me.

I enjoy the fact that this is very speedy process, and that sometimes if I need to go someplace quickly I just type in or chose the section that I want to go to. I like what I can see in it as well.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that sometimes we must type many different letters to make a word that doesn't make sense to us. I also don't like that sometimes I can not pick up from where I left but must start all over.

I am working with payments for the university so I use banner to track our account and see how our ORG i financially for the fiscal year. I do a lot of banner Finance, and not as much student part as every Banner user has a different access for safety purpose which is what I love about it.

Overall the program is clean and if you get in to it now as we are in Banner 9 is much easier than Banner 8 was or so is my understanding of that program.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Banner by Ellucian
Banner by Ellucian review by Bill P.
Bill P.

"Skinned over Banner 8 for the CRM market"

What do you like best?

I like that it's web based which makes it easier to access. We used to have to jump through some hoops to make Java applets work, but not now.

What do you dislike?

The software seems to be just ported over from Banner 8 and made to work in a browser. The stuff they could have upgraded isn't there, and the system overall works worse than it used to. Cosmetically it looks nice, but for those of us that have to actually use it on a daily basis it's much worse. Things routinely derp out when trying to save simple changes. The software seems to run slower than before, and there is seemingly less functionality (at least for what I need to do).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Focus on functionality over cosmetic attractiveness. While I understand that the product is easier to sell if it looks like a Salesforce CRM or another one of your competitors, the system should also at least have as much functionality as it did before.

The sales pitch sells it, but for the sake of us worker bees, please make this thing work better.

The only foreseeable problem that has been solved is that Banner 8 is no longer supported, so we still have something to use.

What Higher Education Student Information Systems solution do you use?

Banner by Ellucian review by Trinelle G.
Trinelle G.

"User friendly"

What do you like best?

The help icon that explains the page that you are working on and the fact that I can jump to a past screen that recently visited by clicking folder. Also, you can start typing the name of the screen that you want and it auto populates to get there faster.

What do you dislike?

For some fields here I just have to enter a student number so I would like to press Enter instead of having to physically click on Go. It would make navigating a few seconds faster. Some people prefer having "wide open windows" but I prefer a smaller window if that entire space is not being used. The cosmetic part could look a bit better but it gets the task complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is user-friendly and is a great asset to companies with large populations and/or data.

We do not work in the accounts office for the students, but it gives us viewing access to their accounts where we would not have to send an email to get the information that we need, then have to wait for a response, especially during peak periods. We can see what we need and immediately decide what action to take. I work in an office that manages meals for students and we often have to check the account activity to see what action is needed on our end; would we have to remove the meals, add more, add multiple, cancel entirely, and so on.

Banner by Ellucian review by Jessica M.
Jessica M.

"Banner 8 to Banner 9"

What do you like best?

Banner 8 has its quirks, but it is easy to use once you understand the commands necessary for pulling information.

What do you dislike?

That each screen is actually 2-4 screens and in order to move down, you have to control + page down and sometimes I tend to forget that limiting me from moving to the next screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Banner 9 seems to be better since you can use Google Chrome instead of only using IE, plus you don't have to worry if you update your Java since Banner 8 only runs on old Java and IE.

A lot of colleges and universities use Banner so it is helpful to know how to use the system. Benefits to Banner are if you do happen to change jobs, it's a possibility that you will use Banner at work. That will help for a more seamless transition when it comes to using technology.

Banner by Ellucian review by Claudia L.
Claudia L.

"Banner at Biola"

What do you like best?

The system is clean and easy on the eyes. Each page has a clear purpose, and commands to access pages are easy to assign and remember. This makes training much simpler, as the system has clearly assigned/purposed pages. The system does not change speed much, other than according to user error.

What do you dislike?

The most recently updated version of Banner is very very slow. In the past, we have been able to process applications in 2-3 minutes, whereas apps now take 5-6 minutes. Another issue we've been dealing with is lack of key control, as the system has made a hard movement towards being mostly mouse and click controlled. This also slows down work, which has been frustrating for many of us in the office. We use Banner in conjunction with ImageNow(perceptiveContent), and the system only works on a specific browser (for me this is Internet Explorer, for my coworker it is Firefox).

Cleaning up student parent information and school information is simple due to the clearly marked pages and flowing from one page to the next with tree commands that flow from one page into another upon being closed.

Banner by Ellucian review by User

"It does the job, but there's a lot of quirks"

What do you like best?

It is incredibly in depth, there are so many functions I can't even begin to name all of them. It seems to run fairly smoothly, and never have an issue getting logged in. It has a very intuitive search function, with many many ways to locate a student in the database.

What do you dislike?

It has a LOT of quirks. Especially when it comes to what we are able to print/send digitally. For example, we can easily save digital copies of student account invoices, but we cant send digital copies of a students schedule. This has been frustrating in a number of ways. I know some of this comes down to what our company specifically chose to use, feature wise, in the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great program, but it had a huge learning curve to get used to. I've been using it every day for nearly a year and there are some things I still don't know how to do.

Our entire school runs off banner. Student accounts, enrollment, financial aid, grade tracking, etc. Every aspect of our school is managed by this program. With that being said, its reach is expansive, and its versatility is great. There are often multiple places where I am able to find information for any particular student which makes it very accessible to all members of staff.

Banner by Ellucian review by Nate P.
Nate P.

"A very good Student Information Software"

What do you like best?

Banner is, first of all, term-based. This helps when working with a student to provide snapshot data regarding a student's term-to-term progress. It is also able to be programmed for educational program requirements, including a variety of requirements contingent on prerequisites.

What do you dislike?

There is a limitation in educational program projection that a dual major student cannot run a degree audit on both majors at the same time. This seems like a massive blind spot for students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand that Banner is far different than PeopleSoft. PeopleSoft has a far different interface, and is more powerful, but less customizable in the long run. Banner trades off sheer computing power for customizability. A larger institution may feel hamstrung by banner, while a smaller institution may feel overwhelmed by PeopleSoft.

As an educational management institution, we use Banner for nearly all aspects of our student management and interations.

Banner by Ellucian review by Steve S.
Steve S.

"There's better out there; Stay far far away -- Programmer perspective"

What do you like best?

Ellucian support is responsive and friendly. This is good because if you go with Banner, you are going to be talking with support a whole lot.

What do you dislike?

I am a programmer and system administrator; I've worked with hundreds of modern cloud and on-prem business applications and the Banner user interface is perhaps the most disappointing I've seen and the back-end is a mess to say the least. I cannot think of an "industry leading" application marketed towards business users that is more poorly designed or more difficult to use. To summarize: Banner 9 is a fresh coat of paint on a super old antique of a software solution.

You are not met with any sort of dashboard or functional menu; every end user must instead memorize Back-end page and function labels and type them in (in the correct order) to finish any task or view any data; this is just one small step up from entering manual database queries and commands. An example of this would be that if I were a payroll admin and I needed to print checks I would open banner9's user interface (which is just a search bar), try to remember all ~10 codes that I need to use to pull up the correct pages(i.e. FGRACTG), enter info into poorly labeled fields, and save; If I want to see the results of what I just did, I will need to remember and enter the code to pull up a page that shows the transaction buried in a mess of other data (this is when the payroll admin remembers what 1989 was like). After entering data on each page I would then hit save and hope to goodness the data was written appropriately to wherever it went; If I need to make a correction I will have to petition a database administrator to log into the database and reverse my error using sql commands. Banner maintains an industry standard established in 1989 and has done little to update it. I am speaking also of Ellucian's 'cutting edge' banner 9.

I've seen some reviews that say "comprehensive".. Not sure where that is coming from; you can't even upload file attachments without an additional application. Perhaps it's comprehensive in that it will occupy all of your employees all day and eat up your budget with licensing costs.

Ellucian has excellent marketing teams and hosts seminars/pro-banner propaganda meets ('banner user groups') all over the country under the guise of educating their users of new features. Keep in mind that modern software solutions (not Banner) available to universities and enterprises have no need for such activities because their applications are intuitive and easily learned. Also keep in mind that on-premise deployments will require (staggering) additional licensing costs/third party software for things which should be included in such expensive "industry leading" software; two expensive examples are a Cobol code compiler(yes you must compile the source code after they give it to you and buy some way to compile Cobol code) and document management platform (some way to store and retrieve documents associated with students..since Banner certainly can't do this).

Recommendations to others considering the product

1. Do not use banner

2. see below:

Ellucian/banner relies on their name recognition and marketing to make sales - find a software provider that relies instead on the quality of their product.

Do not be satisfied until:

A. you are given a demo of several actual business processes from start to finish

B. you have found an application which, upon login, meets each user with a user-specific dashboard

If and only if you are forced to go with Ellucian, consider their managed cloud or saas application; at least you will forgo the pain of maintaining the mess that is banner in your datacenter; and for goodness sake DO NOT GET A 9 YEAR CONTRACT (yes they will try to sell you a 9+ year contract).

We use Banner to document all student data, finance data, and hr data. Banner, I've found, is essentially a database with an antiquated front end connection.

Banner by Ellucian review by Amanda C.
Amanda C.

"I use Banner as a database at a community college. "

What do you like best?

Once you know what you're doing, it's a useful database for looking up information on students or faculty, such as grades, addresses, contact information, etc. You can also use it to look up class rosters, final grades, registration by semester or also for an entire student's time at the college. I also use it to reserve rooms for academic events.

What do you dislike?

I don't think it's very intuitive. You have to learn how to do everything step by step. It even looks as if it is an older program, it's not quite as sleek or modern looking as other programs I've used. I would like it better if it was more sleek, modern, looking and more user friendly. It's easy to push a wrong button and then have a screen pop up that the close button is just out of view, and for someone who may not have used it much, they may have trouble figuring out what to do to get back to the original screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be off put by the lack of intuitiveness. Once you know what your'e doing, it's a very useful tool.

The benefit of being able to look up student information in different ways is great. I can look up by class or I can look them up individually as a student. Also I can see one semester or I can look across their entire community college career. It's nice to have these options. It's the same with their grades. I can look up their final grades for just one semester and see the GPA for that semester, or I can look up the cumulative GPA and see all the final grades. It can cater to whichever I need for whatever I'm working on.

Banner by Ellucian review by User

"The Worst Program I've Ever Used in My Career in Higher Education."

What do you like best?

The only thing I like is that I get a paycheck for using it.

What do you dislike?

Where do I begin? I came from an institution that used Slate, and reverting to Banner is like going back in time. Or being sent to Purgatory to data-enter my sins away. The program is completely not intuitive. Its lack of intuition builds on itself--you must know the completely nonsensical names for multitudes of individual forms, and then memorize dozens of nonsensical codes for information. There are "null" fields. You can't undo mistakes easily. There's no central screen with options where to go. It kicks you off without warning. You have to enter information in quadruplicate. With one particular function we use, the form "SZPARTI, you can literally ruin thousands of student records by accidentally leaving one single field empty. Why would anyone program something like that?! Why would any administrator trust human employees with such a buggy system?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't.

I am a lowly user, so I can't speak to the problems my institution has solved, but I do know it has created a problem for its employees by using this system. We gripe pretty consistently about it. If you are at all concerned about preserving a humane workplace, stay away from Banner. If that it not your concern, by all means inflict upon your minions with your best evil laugh.

Banner by Ellucian review by Amber A.
Amber A.

"NOT very user friendly interface"

What do you like best?

I honestly don't like much about the product at all. The only good thing is the ability to use the HELP option to get information on what table & field are being used for each field of data. I would not recommend this application.

What do you dislike?

The interface, the ability to move from one section to another (tab doesn't work, must CTRL + PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN). In order to run any form or save anything, you have to use function keys (that I have to keep on a cheat sheet because I always forget which to use). The fact that form names are different than table names. So much more. Just NOT user friendly. Also some fields you cannot click on, so you can't see what table/field they are from in the database. As a data analyst, this is very frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just don't. Try to find another option!

I use the product for Institutional Research. It does capture pretty much all the data we need to provide reports on student data, but I access the data through PLSQL tools rather than Banner directly. The only true benefit is that when used as data entry, there isn't anything that it doesn't capture.

Banner by Ellucian review by Dawn B.
Dawn B.

"Basic CRM database"

What do you like best?

the ability to add a lot of information on alumni and prospects to keep track of a variety of initiatives, proposals and contacts

What do you dislike?

the system is not very intuitive with information in multiple forms that you need to know about in order to access the data contained within

Recommendations to others considering the product

having a dedicated Banner person would be extremely helpful because it would provide institutional support to other users and assist them in putting information in the appropriate forms

Banner is our primary database for all information on alumni and friends- the reports that we have developed internally allow us to report out a great deal of information that we have gathered over time

Banner by Ellucian review by Julia S.
Julia S.

"Lots of Info - not a lot of convenience"

What do you like best?

Banner has the ability to contain A LOT of information. About everything. It is a really great foundational database that can be your "go to" when you need very specific information about a particular student.

What do you dislike?

Banner is very chunks, not easy to navigate, and requires you to go a million different places to find information. There is no option to get a real decent birds-eye view of a student or class or finances. You have to go into individual records for everything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great place to securely keep A TON of information - not super user friendly.

In our organization "banner is king" meaning, if there is ever conflicting data - you go with what is in banner. It is the reliable database for strict facts and information. Unfortunately, because of its lack of ease and functionality, we have to have several shadow databases we keep the same type of information in that is easier to look at and sort. But it is very nice to have banner as the secure back up of data.

Banner by Ellucian review by Joey T.
Joey T.

"Exhaustive but not Efficient"

What do you like best?

Ellucian can perform a lot of functions, including grades, registration, and information, while being customizable to our campus curriculum and structure

What do you dislike?

Not efficient. Archaic in the way you find information or navigate through the app. Where a intuitive app takes one click of the mouse, Ellucian guarantees 3-4 clicks. This is probably due to its desire to be customized. It really is difficult to get anywhere quick or efficiently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think I would if there system was very archaic, but I think there are better products out there. I will say that this is probably the most popular all-in-one system for academia.

Class registration, degree progress, financial aid information, scheduling, grade input. I have enjoyed the consolidation of all these features in one location.

Banner by Ellucian review by Timothy S.
Timothy S.

"Stable and reliable Higher Education System"

What do you like best?

I like this application because it is very steady during registration peak time. The application has many features that enable students to track their grades, registration calendar and even finances and payments.

The application is so customizable and integrates well with most LDAP systems.

Additionally, the application has highly secure features, which are critical to such functions.

What do you dislike?

Due to its flexibility in adding sections and tabs, navigation can sometimes become tricky to students.

i do recommend introducing a fast search inside the application or change the main template

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is essential to a Higher Education institution

In the two Higher Ed. institutions i worked for, Banner was used to managing course registration, student calendar, academic reports, and enrollment/ bill payments.

Even student employment can be integrated into this application.

Banner by Ellucian review by Kimberly C.
Kimberly C.

"Banner as SIS"

What do you like best?

While it's been around for a while and portions of it function that way (layer upon layer of logic), Banner stores a ton of data in a single place. With a bit of doing, you can set roles for various people in a variety of departments to access portions of the system.

What do you dislike?

Since upgrading Banner versions requires an enormous amount of effort (especially depending on what you have it integrated with across campus), we were not using the most recent version of the system at all. In addition, while Ellucian advertises many Banner "integrations" with third party software, they are not turnkey. In order to share information between the admissions recruitment database (a non-Ellucian product) and Banner (since student ID's are created in Banner but need to also be populated in the admissions CRM), we ended up having to build a manual bridge using in-house development resources. The advertised "integration" was simply not useful. Also to note: the Banner interface is not the most user-friendly thing in the world - new users will likely have a fairly big learning curve.

We used Banner as many colleges and universities do: as our student information system for currently enrolled students, to track grades, enrollment and financial aid information, and course registration information.

Banner by Ellucian review by Dan B.
Dan B.

"Not a Huge Fan"

What do you like best?

As a one-stop shop for storing and finding information about students, Banner is useful. I can use it to find out almost anything I need about a student -- from grades and course history, to payments. However, it's finding that information that's the trick.

What do you dislike?

Banner is probably one of the least intuitive programs I have ever used. The learning curve is unbelievably steep. I've been using it for over 5 years and I still have to call tech support half the time to help me find what I'm looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get help from someone who knows the program well -- you will need it.

It's good for keeping track of students. It has helped me provide better customer support and answer student inquiries about their accounts.

Banner by Ellucian review by User in Mining & Metals
User in Mining & Metals

"Functional but Could Be Better"

What do you like best?

For the most part, Banner is pretty simple to use in concept. The best part of Banner is it is easy to exact data from screens into Excel.

What do you dislike?

I dislike many aspects of Banner. I primarily use Banner Finance in a higher education setting. When entering invoices there are too many screens for 1 entry. I worked with other systems and it process is more streamlined. I also dislike that a check processing feature is not built into the software. Another downside to this software is you also have to use another outside software to get customized reports from Banner. As much as this software cost, it should do more than it does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Banner 9 should have been more functional. Users should not have to type in so much information into each field. It is slower to use this version than the previous version. The ability to manipulate and download data is easier, but there are many improvements to be made this version.

Banner works well in a higher education setting because it does a lot of different functions. Each individual module could be improved, but overall they work together.

Banner by Ellucian review by Anissa H.
Anissa H.

"Banner--Comprehensive database"

What do you like best?

Banner is a comprehensive database that includes many different data sets and also integrates well with many, many other data based tools.

What do you dislike?

Banner is not windows driven and does not have intuitive keystrokes or functionality for an inexperienced user. It is visually more like an old DOS-based sofrware with field codes and forms rather than the more friendly apps or Windows-based software most users are accustomed to. There is a steep learning curve in Banner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Banner is a well known software but is a big purchase financially and systemically. Make sure it meets your needs before investing and consider the ancillary projects or data needs of your organization. It is also important to assess your tech support and functional support as new users will need a mentor to learn this software, especially when problem solving with Banner for a local organization. Without proper support locally, I do not think new users will have what is needed. Banner conferences are useful, but most users need day to day support until they have mastered their aspect of the software.

Banner provides the data that we need for searches, verification, and holding data for our school. It interfaces well with many other tools so it serves as an effective tool to house data safely so it is effective in its main purpose.

Banner by Ellucian review by User in Higher Education

"BANNEr for University Usage"

What do you like best?

I enjoy that BANNER is able to function in many ways with a lot of data - more specifically that many different offices can use it simultaneously, especially in a University as big as the one I work at. I also enjoy the customization options to fit the University's needs.

What do you dislike?

It is not particularity user friendly - there is a lot of training that goes into learning how to use BANNER. It is not the most intuitive software. There are a lot of large manuals that are needed for instructions on how to use different BANNER screens because usage is a bit convoluted. Different screens have different ways in which you access the information, and for older members of our office, it can be difficult to have them all memorized. It is also not the most visually appealing software - the way the information is displayed could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It functions really well for a large University that needs a one stop software for all of their Offices on campus. While I only use it for Graduate Admissions, it is used by our University for Financial Aid, the Registrar, and Academic Advising, Student Success, etc.

I use it specifically for maintaining and processing Graduate Admissions applications. The benefits are that many people can access the information and that it is accessible throughout our University system.

Banner by Ellucian review by Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.

"Clunky, Slow, constant Java issues"

What do you like best?

There is absolutely nothing I actually like about Banner. I have to use it at the University I work at and it is constantly causing me frustration and time every day of the workweek, all year.

What do you dislike?

Slow to load. Must grant multiple permissions each time ran. Support is virtually non-existent. Is not intuitive to user or IT. Long, confusing, similarly named alphanumeric titles for all forms. Difficult to navigate (too many buttons visible that have no purpose on that form or page). User guide is not laid out well, hard to find what form you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend not using this software. Please spend your time to research a better option. Banner has been sliding downhill for years and is the most frustrating part of my workday.

We use banner to verify student grades, records, prerequisites, transfer courses, contact information, and to grant permissions to register for courses. There is nothing beneficial this software does that another could not do better.

Banner by Ellucian review by User in Higher Education

"Useful platform for data management, but outdated and clunky"

What do you like best?

Self-service Banner is quick and relatively easy to navigate as a fundraising professional working in higher ed. Shows all current and historical info I need to see. Used across different teams at my organizations, so it serves multiple functions for different groups.

What do you dislike?

Outdated and limited search functions in self-service; doesn't allow for sophisticated queries like other platforms I simultaneously use. Not mobile friendly, which is frustrating when trying to view/search for information on the road or on the fly. INB Banner is more sophisticated and the "backend" of the product, but it's not something I use regularly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider how it can be used across various teams, and whether Banner can "talk" to other software platforms you may be using currently or may consider using in the future.

Use to view donor profiles/info/giving history - colleagues use it to track gifts to our organization. Helpful for data management and record keeping. Talks to another software platform/product that my organization uses, so it solves the problem of data management - we own the information that is inputted.

"Banner Review"

What do you like best?

What i like best about Banner is that is has the capability of work working with 3rd party software and that it is works from combining several modules to work together.

What do you dislike?

There are multiple updates that takes place and there are certain browsers that the software works faster on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this product based on the abilities that it has to offer and the options that it can provide for your company. The capability of integrating with a 3rd party is one of the best part.

We are using Banner to provide our University financial information. We use it mainly to record, post, and report financial information.

Banner by Ellucian review by Ali D.
Ali D.

"Banner 8 Financial Aid"

What do you like best?

Easy to use program that has been in place for 10+ years. Currently in the process of implementing Banner 9, which is said to have some major changes.

This program has been great for our school's awarding of Financial Aid funds and review.

What do you dislike?

Keystrokes can take a little getting used to and there are a few quarks with some screens. We have some in-house forms that will not be supported by the upgrade that will be difficult to replace or find a different vendor for.

Awarding and review of Financial Aid funds at a public higher education institution.

"Feels Old-School"

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about this product is that the bulk of the data is stored in one place and that there is the ability to set roles for different types of users allowing different types of access.

What do you dislike?

It is so cumbersome and clunky. It is not intuitive or user-friendly. The abbreviations, terminology for use, the icons, and the workflow seem old and early-iteration. I think even if the look was refreshed it would "seem" better and perhaps not be a frustrating to work with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I admit that I don't know if we are running the "latest and greatest" version of this product. It is possible that there are more current iterations and/or features that our university has opted out of. It just feels clunky and awkward. It is not intuitive. Finding information feels cumbersome and is time consuming.

Banner does give us a place to store and collect and access the data is essential to do the work that we do. I understand that some of the issues I have with Banner may be a result of the way my university ties the program to other programs and not a direct issue with Banner itself.

Banner by Ellucian review by User in Higher Education

"Clunky with poor search functionality"

What do you like best?

I suppose Banner does technically do the job we try to use it for, which is managing the biographical and giving information of individuals, corporations, and foundations.

What do you dislike?

The search function is awful. You have to spell the name exactly as it appears in Banner, and this often leads to confusion when multiple people in an organization are allowed to create records in Banner. It's hard to extract information from as well--you have to extensively sort and manipulate the data you extract in order to make it useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would encourage you to shop around before you decide on Banner. I think there are other products out there that perform better than Banner does.

We are able to store a large amount of information in Banner by Ellucian, which is primarily what we use it for. We also use other complementary software to extend the usefulness of the Banner capabilities.

Banner by Ellucian review by Aimee H.
Aimee H.

"Been using it for 8 years"

What do you like best?

As the main system for university record keeping, you can find a lot of information and store it in a variety of ways on students.

What do you dislike?

I HATE that it is command code driven. It seems so antiquated and while I know a lot of codes and could repeat them in my sleep, it is not user friendly....and that is after EIGHT years of using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know that this is one of the premier companies that universities use, but again, it is very antiquated with the old style command driven style of getting to appropriate screens.

Effective way of registering students for coursework. I am able to quickly find out the status of students (academic probation, tuition owed, etc)

"Banner Review"

What do you like best?

I like that the system is easy to navigate and you can drill down quickly to get the most up to date student information. I also like the platform as it tracks personal employee information including pay, benefits, etc..

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you have to drill down to several screens in order to get exactly the information needed or you have to back out to the original screen to change one search term to get the information you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This system houses many areas of information and is for the most part very easy to use.

We utilize this to see our student information and provide services based on their information listed in the system. It is also helpful because you can quickly download employee tax forms or benefit and time information.

Banner by Ellucian review by User in Higher Education

"Banner is a good tool for managing Higher Education data"

What do you like best?

Banner has modules that can be purchased together or individually. Banner can manage student, employee, hr, and other data. Banner has been around for many years and has a large support network.

What do you dislike?

The Banner 8 interface is dated. Banner 9 has fixed this issue, but not everyone is on Banner 9 yet. Some of the forms can be complicated to learn. This makes more experienced persons valuable to have around when using Banner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Banner is widely used and has a large support network. It is helpful to have users be familiar with the database that runs behind Banner. This makes for easier reporting and also more efficient troubleshooting or problems.

Banner has made reporting much easier. This reporting goes into the decision making about our campus. These decisions can be made more efficiently because of the ease of reporting.

Banner by Ellucian review by User in Higher Education

"1980's technology with a glaze of web 2.0 overtop of it"

What do you like best?

Not much of anything. I try to avoid using this program as much as possible. It's baffling to me that in 2018 we are still using something as incomprehensibly ineffective as this product.

What do you dislike?

The system is archaic at best. Frustrating. Burdensome. Tasks that should take minutes in a modern system take hours or days due to the poorly designed system architecture.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It feels like it would be easier to do everything on pen and paper than to use this program. You can feel your blood pressure rising as you become more and more frustrated by the GUI. They published a major update last year for Banner, and in doing so they somehow managed to make it WORSE and more difficult to use.

It provides a database of user information.

Banner by Ellucian review by Elizabeth S.
Elizabeth S.

"Good data storage but not user friendly"

What do you like best?

Banner stores every kind of data that would be needed about a student, FAFSA, schedules, personal information, grades, registration, etc. It interfaces with most systems used on campus to provide a solid back end and data storage site.

What do you dislike?

It is very hard to navigate with hundreds of specialized screen names, complicated key commands and icons and information that does not easily link or drill down without navigating to more screens.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The new banner which is are currently running as a trial is slightly more useable and had some nice features such as saving screens and searching.

Data storage and course registration backend.

Banner by Ellucian review by Bridget L.
Bridget L.

"Very comprehensive SIS"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Banner is its ability to integrate with other educational technologies, as well as the depth of the data recorded about the student and the student's interactions and history with the institution. I also like that, once the user has had time to learn Banner's capabilities, it serves as a one stop shop source of information about a student when they're at the enrollment center counter needing help with a problem they're experiencing.

What do you dislike?

Banner can be clunky, with the sheer number of screens you can find information on; there is definitely a learning curve. Sometimes information is not visible on a screen where you might expect it to be stored (an academic hold is different than a financial hold, for instance). New users will definitely face a learning curve when starting out with Banner. The codes used to display information can be overwhelming to learn as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a comprehensive SIS for your institution, Banner is definitely going to set the bar for what to look for in whatever SIS choice you make.

Banner is close to a one stop shop for anything student process and service related, it's extremely thorough! Students approach enrollment centers to find answers to their questions. Banner allows its users to navigate through a breadth of screens, investigating a wide range of information to offer the best student centered service, without the student having to explain their problem over and over again.

"Banner usage"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use, especially for HR information. It's great to have all of my HR information to view and to edit right at my finger tips. Also great for finding campus information and other forms I may need for personnel issues and for cross-campus collaboration.

What do you dislike?

I don't find the interface to be particularly user friendly when looking up large amounts of information for prospects in advancement work. It would be easier to use if all information was together on one screen.

Huge benefit to having all of my HR information in one spot so I can review and make changes whenever I need to. Also great to see what's happening on campus and different ways I can become involved in what's happening on campus and to collaborate with new partners!

"Fairly User Friendly"

What do you like best?

It has all the records I need in one program. It would be nice if we could look up a student and get all of their information on one screen, which this program can not do.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

n/a

Banner by Ellucian review by Michael P.
Michael P.

"Complicated but powerful"

What do you like best?

The software is powerful and highly customizable. When working closely with developers and programmers, and closely monitoring baseline code changes implemented by Ellucian, you can pretty much do anything you want on various different levels of the ERP system.

What do you dislike?

It is. It very user friendly when using things like INB. The forms are finicky and clunky. Unless everything is working perfectly, error management is difficult at best.

We use it for our ERP, and our entire business of higher ed is based around it. The benefit being it's a one-stop-shop for all of our needs, SSB, INB, etc.

Banner by Ellucian review by User

"Clunky but relatively easy to use. "

What do you like best?

Once you remember the screens you need to use, it's easy to relearn Banner basics even after not using for many years.

What do you dislike?

Banner is a clunky system that is hard to navigate when using to view a single individual's information. I also wish the internet native Banner could be used in a browser other than IE/Edge (of course I have installed the Chrome plugin to be able to use it in

Recommendations to others considering the product

Personalize your banner with a cheat sheet so that you can quickly navigate to the screens you don't often use (I promise that you will memorize the codes that you use frequently).

Banner works for a wide range of offices within a higher education institution. It allows consistency and automatic updates.

"Very user-friendly "

What do you like best?

I love the new interface! With the upgrade that was done last year, I can customize Banner applications that I frequently visit. If I'm working in a new screen and the session times out, there's an option to to view "recently opened"pages. The help option also gives you detailed information about the application you are working with. This feature alone has enhanced the efficiency in our operations.

What do you dislike?

The key-board short cuts have changed so that can be frustrating when entering data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you use Release 3.0.0.2

We use Banner to manage many facets of student and financial information.

Banner by Ellucian review by Grace M.
Grace M.

"Clunky software with average capabilities"

What do you like best?

I appreciate Banner's navigation. Users access screens with codes that identify each screen's module and purpose.

I also appreciate that it contains a huge range of information, from student information to course information to hiring and employee information. This is helpful to me when I have to manage inter-departmental changes.

I also appreciate that Banner is available in PROD and pre-PROD, which allows us to practice implementing complicated changes long before the changes are due to affect students.

What do you dislike?

We struggle to accommodate large-scale changes, like course numbers and prefixes changing multiple times. It appears that Banner often fails to communicate with our degree-audit software, or vice versa.

The version I use is old and we have co-opted a number of sections in order to code things that the original software didn't allow for. For example" the University of Idaho has a number of "reserved course numbers" that we allow departments to offer under different titles every semester. This means that we have to communicate to our programmers/schedulers which courses are "subtitle-able." I was instructed to adopt a Y/N option on the main course information page to indicate whether a course can have multiple section-titles over time. It works, but I would so much rather use software that is already adapted to our purposes.

I also dislike that it is impossible to adjust faculty access to student records for a future term: revoking access for a future term also revokes access for the current term.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the expected capabilities of Banner version 9 (newest) before deciding to implement.

When I receive incomplete information from any unit on campus, I can often find the rest of what I need by checking other forms in Banner. For example: I interact almost entirely with course records and faculty records, but I am glad to have access to the hiring records because it allows me to confirm information about faculty before I grant/revoke access to records.

Banner by Ellucian review by User in Higher Education

"Powerful, but with a learning curve"

What do you like best?

I like the versatility there seems to be with this software.. there are many areas of employee records that can be managed with this system, including HR, Payroll, Finance, and more. It has a lot of options for a company for managing systems.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the learning curve. It takes a lot of training to become proficient. That is not to say that a system of this caliber should not, but it is not user friendly or particularly attractive from a customer-facing standpoint. It can look outdated because of this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Needs a makeover, but can be a powerful tool.

All aspects of HR and Payroll management. Benefits include a centralized system to obtain the latest employee information, creation of forms through the system, and creation of reports.

Banner by Ellucian review by User in Higher Education

"Gets the job done... but not the most user friendly"

What do you like best?

Information is cut and dry and easy to understand from the end user stand point.

What do you dislike?

The process to access information is outdated. The software looks like it's from the 90s. It only works in Internet Explorer, which is an unsupported browser at this point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy enought to use if you pay attention. There are a lot of intricacies that I do not use so I cannot speak to those - but for offices that do not use Banner in the day to day, it will function as needed.

I use it to check student account balances and for the staff functions it offers.

I am not an intended user of this product - I use it for minimal information gathering, so it works for what I need but could be more user friendly to in general.

"Anequated "

What do you like best?

The best item would be the quickflow screens that are pre-built into the system The quickflow screens allow you to enter data to all necessary screens at one convenient time without having to pull up each screen separately.

What do you dislike?

In fairness, our company has purchased the bare minimum, so there are no special items with this program. It is archaic and has issues with being compatible with current software. Our alumni department no longer uses the information and has a completely separate system for all alumni details.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are able to purchase add ins, it is highly recommended!

This system allows users across campus to be able to access details on each student from lead through matriculation. We are able to gather information quickly; however, the system is very clunky and there are multiple screens to gather information.

Banner by Ellucian review by Jennifer O.
Jennifer O.

"Update was clunky"

What do you like best?

Since the integration of the new update, I like that you are able to to search what function you need instead of having to remember each code.

What do you dislike?

Before the upgrade I was able to navigate the entire requisition entering process without taking my hands off the keyboard (even on my laptop) now I have to switch between keyboard and mouse and it takes longer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For an all inclusive system it does its job.

It is an easy system to keep all information in one location

Banner by Ellucian review by User

"Not super user friendly, but functional"

What do you like best?

It get the job done, and it carries searches prom page to page so that you are not requires to search the person on each page.

What do you dislike?

Learning the 7 letter codes for the searches is complicated, also the functionality of not being able to click to view, instead having to shortcut using keyboard buttons or clicks vs. the tradition mouse-click or enter, is tedious and challenging. It is not user friendly though I am holding out hope for banner 9.

It allows us to track people in our system and make edits by department. Hoepfully banner 9 will be more user friendly as well as visually nicer.

"Banner Review"

What do you like best?

I am able to see student records and data, including finding alternate contact information and student admission status, whether important documents have been received, etc.

What do you dislike?

The system seems clunky and is not very intuitive. There is also no note-taking function that allows for customization, making it difficult for those in student services to know where/what kind of assistance the student has been receiving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To my knowledge, there is not the ability to pull reports directly from Banner. This may be a service to request in the future that would make the system more user friendly and eliminate the need to use multiple systems.

The problem being solved is access to student information. The benefits are being able to easily access this information to better serve students.

Banner by Ellucian review by Amy H.
Amy H.

"Banner, a One Stop Shop"

What do you like best?

It's ability to access so many databases.

What do you dislike?

The things I dislike are: 1.) the lack of true relationship tables in the databases 2.) The fact that it limits you to only web browser in most versions 3.) the fact those newer versions of java do not work well or not at all with Banner and user it having to revert back to an older version of java in order to make Banner function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Banner although it has features that could be better, it's still a good piece of software for keeping information secured and accessible to those who have the right to access the information across campus departments.

It solve the problem of uniformity across campus in all departments.

Banner by Ellucian review by User

"Convoluted but gets the job done"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Banner is customizable. We have had to create several of our own Banner screens to do things that weren't built in, so it's been great to have that capability.

What do you dislike?

Banner is VERY finicky. You have to click the exact right buttons in the exact right order or it won't work. You may even get stuck in a screen and have to crash the whole program and restart. Also, it is not multi-user friendly, meaning that two people can't edit the same screen at once.

All of our systems are basically controlled behind the scenes by Banner. It's what runs our whole system right now.

"Banner is outdated"

What do you like best?

Banner is a fairly decent record keeping software for students with a variety of widgets and plugins students can access for learning purposes. It is also able to host a online learning platforms. I have recently learned that Banner can be customized, integrated with other software, can be used for recruiting and retention purposes, financial aid, etc. For the longest time I thought it was simply a record keeping software since that was all I used it for, but I appreciate it's potential to offer so much more for higher education professionals.

What do you dislike?

Almost everything. The software does not always successfully feed to and from various softwares. The application will not update to salesforce and vice versa for things like enrollment management or major changes. The navigation of the platform is often confusing for most students. Many students have reported that the online classroom is incredibly difficult - even for learners who have held all of their education online.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient with Banner. It does what it's supposed to be requires time. There are upgrades coming that are supposed to make the system better and easier to use for faculty, staff, and students.

This software is used to hold student records, the online platform, webinars, student resources, university notifications, and feed into a degree audit system. The benefit is that the system will always do exactly what it needs to/is programmed to do.

Banner by Ellucian review by Jessica M.
Jessica M.

"Holds a good amount of information"

What do you like best?

I can find all of my student and staff information on it - my transcript, final grades, financial aid and bills; my paid/sick leave, hours, etc.

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to navigate in the beginning. It's a maze to find where to make a payment on a bill or which tab has the information that you are looking for.

It has enabled multiple offices to do more things paperless - requesting transcripts, making payments, receipts, registration, etc.

Banner by Ellucian review by Debra Y.
Debra Y.

"Banner: the program we need but not the program we want to navigate"

What do you like best?

Banner does everything: finances, student records, class scheduling, among many many other things. The program basically integrates all the school's information and is the heartbeat of how we run the school!

What do you dislike?

Yes. The interface is difficult and clunky. Oftentimes, to request information, I don't know if I'm supposed to click enter or execute. There are so many codes, some of them redundant, and the jargon is often difficult to learn. Resetting passwords is a task, esp. in a world where we have so many passwords!

So many problems are being handled by Banner. Tracking student records, finances, graduation, etc. Handling payment information for all employees, adjunct, sub-contractor and consultant payments. So many things Banner does!

Banner by Ellucian review by Lynne W.
Lynne W.

"The leader in Education "

What do you like best?

I like the large presence it has and that it is integrated in most other applications, or can be. They are improving all the time and adjusting to today's standards. There is a decent help line as well, with open searches to related issues.

What do you dislike?

Banner 9 the web interface is replacing everything Banner once was- this is great for new people joining the forces because teachings Banner up to 9 is incredibly difficult.

We are improving processes by using their tips. We also plan to

Learning about Banner by Ellucian?

* We monitor all Banner by Ellucian reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.