What do you like best?
As with all Atlassian products, the best part of Bamboo is the integration into their full suite of software. Getting started with Bamboo from a Stash or Bitbucket code repo is as simple as clicking a button, and all downstream changes are immediately tracked and updated. Atlassian has made a huge effort to ensure that the dashboards to monitor build and deployment plans are both useful and informative, and it has paid off in a big way. Users can start, stop, change, monitor, create and delete plans from the push of a single button. Overall, Bamboo is great at:
* Rapidly setting up build plans
* Being a central hub into all activity your company is a part of
* Offering an intuitive UI
* Allowing power-users to set up powerful CI/CD pipelines
* Unit testing FTW
What do you dislike?
After setting up several build and deployment plans using Bamboo, there are a few areas where this product could be improved:
* Documentation is hard to get to, and not always relevant to actual questions you may have about the product.
* A lot of the underworkings are a black box, which makes it difficult to work with.
* No clear right or wrong way to do things, despite being a enterprise product.
* Tasks cannot be put in if/else statements
* No good way to link successful builds to other builds
Recommendations to others considering the product:
If you have already bought in to the Atlassian product suite, there is no better CI/CD product than Bamboo. However, make sure your entire team has training from Atlassian to understand how they will fit in the toolchain of your work, or else you run the risk of creating build plans that are detrimental to your future work.
What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
Bamboo has completely changed the way that my team works, for the better. We used to rely heavily on stress testing and manual QA which was extremely time consuming and error-prone. Now, we are able to commit code and have automated deployments happen, and be assured that we are not breaking anything due to unit testing build into Bamboo. Our deployments have gone from once a week to several times per hour, letting our company be more agile in meeting our stakeholder demands.