Avalara

Avalara

4.0

Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with sales and use, excise, communications, VAT other transactional tax requirements by delivering comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use. Avalara’s Compliance Cloud™ platform is designed to effectively manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities in the United States and internationally.

Work for Avalara?

Learning about Avalara?

Avalara Reviews

Ask Avalara a Question
Showing 132 Avalara reviews
Janet G.

"Love Avalara"

What do you like best?

Avalara is an all encompassing tax system for all of your tax needs. My favorite part is not having to worry about having up to date tax rates anywhere!

What do you dislike?

My only dislike is that if you are saving a transaction or processing one in a POS for example and you have any connectivity issues it could miss hitting the server and not get a tax calculation.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As an administrator for our Avalara account here and at my previous company, I have seen Avalara work in many different scenarios. The accuracy of the tax calculations which encompass location, items, customers, ship to, ship from, etc, is really amazing. Avalara works constantly to make sure all tax rates are kept up to date. It works extremely well with NetSuite ERP, which is cloud-based.

POS system for shipped orders. ECommerce for our Ecom site. We have also used it in our ERP for other cash sales as well.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Avalara
Alexander M.

"Sales Tax Headaches No More"

What do you like best?

We no longer have to spend hours each month preparing and filing returns. I have peace of mind knowing that our returns are being filed timely and accurately. If there is ever a hiccup, we receive a prompt request from Avalara's filing team so we can make the correction and go on about our business. We also have the burden of a large number of exempt customers. Being able to track our exempt certificates in CertCapture makes audit requests easy. I spent minutes compiling documents for auditors last time instead of hours. No matter which direction I look at it from, we have won so much time back into our department.

What do you dislike?

While I do not have any complaints per se, I would like to see a stronger response to customer service issues when they come up. More so during our initial set up, we would try to reach out to support for an issue and the help would come at what felt like the eleventh hour. We have needed them less as time has gone on, but I still remember that lack of response as being a small pain point.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Think about the amount of time you are spending on your tax compliance. How much more could you be doing if all you had to do each month is check the figures and let Avalara do the rest?

Our business operates in all 50 states. Keeping track of changes in tax laws and then subsequently updating our ERP system to collect the correct amounts so that the worksheets we used to file our returns would come out right was always a struggle. There was always this knife hanging over our heads, ready to fall if we missed a single step. We no longer have to worry about the finer points of sales tax compliance.

What Sales Tax Compliance solution do you use?

Scott S.

"All-in-One Tax Solution"

What do you like best?

Everything is done for me, instantly. I am very happy with the usability of the online portal, as well as the communication of the account representatives and support team. It is rare that I have to double check to make sure that Avalara is doing its job. It just works!

What do you dislike?

I wish that the cost was a bit cheaper, especially as this is a required product through Zoho. But really, I can't complain about much with Avalara. It does what I would likely forget to do!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the chance and go for it! This product does the work for you. It's incredible!

This has cut our time down by so much through automating the sales tax compliance and corporate tax. It's very nice to know that it all is just working in the background. We are very happy with the benefits it has provided us.

Nathon C.

"No More Sales Tax Headaches"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of Avalara software is that you don't have to file any of your own sales tax reports with the states that you have nexus in. Avalara takes care of all of this for me. It's also fantastic that Avalara calculates all my sales tax for me on all my invoices.

What do you dislike?

We use the QuickBooks online connector which works really well, but I wish I could exclude certain invoices from calculating sales tax. We have some internal accounting that where we create invoices that are just for revenue purposes and not for sales or tax purposes. The connector doesn't allow us to turn off the calculation for any invoices. This makes it so we have void the invoices within the Avatax system.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend this to any business big or small. This will really simplify your sales tax process and cut costs as well.

I'm solving the problem of having to have an extra staff member just to file all of our sales tax returns. Also, I'm streamlining the sales tax calculations and using the Avalara tax codes so that we don't have to do all the in-house sales tax research to find out if our sales are taxable in a certain location.

Tom G.

"Very good service and comprehensive in handling many issues"

What do you like best?

I like using Avalara, and having the peace of mind of knowing for sure that any tax question I have is handled professionally and quickly. I would like to see more aggressive and competitive pricing for services compared to Avalara's competitors, however.

What do you dislike?

Pricing tiers on volume of orders needs looked at to be more competitive with Tax Jar and other competition in this service segment.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think this is the most comprehensive and full encompassing service for retail commerce tax in the world. You can't go wrong with it.

As we sell to more and more states, and our volume increases, knowing how much tax to collect, or if we should at all has been of great benefit.

Judy V.

"Worked with Avalara for almost 10 years"

What do you like best?

Responsiveness of sales team, fun interactions and appreciate elevation of importance of sales tax process thru white papers, webinars, blogs etc

What do you dislike?

Little to “bot” like and less service focused. Tries to put all taxpayers in same box, when they often have unique issues and concerns. If you don’t pay for integration services and even if you did there is a little we don’t do “that.” That is stressful to end users who think it is plug and play.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

CRUSH conferences are the best tax conference I’ve ever attended.

Data is one place, multiple parties can access date remotely. Helps Benefit income tax compliance as well as sales tax.

Reanna R.

"Great software to eliminate the hassle of filing taxes!"

What do you like best?

- Monthly filing is an ease. You can also set up schedules for Quarterly/Annual filing and be confident that it will be done correctly and timely.

- Works with many different platforms. Our company uses NetSuite and for the most part, it's a seamless integration.

- Transparent reporting. Variety of reports available for download to reconcile sales and use tax filings and for audit purposes.

What do you dislike?

- Consumer Use Tax feature isn't as developed yet (for NetSuite platform).

- Customer support can be lacking at times - long phone wait times.

- Sales tax for auditing purposes. A lot of reports to support amounts being filed.

- Avalara provides insightful information that assists with deciding nexus within additional states.

"Fraudulent company - Do not recommend"

What do you like best?

Ease of integration into Zoho CRM was easy to set up.

What do you dislike?

Poor support. Fraudulent practices. Changed our program without permission saying they "put us on a promotional program for no additional charge" that we didn't need, and then rolled us into a much higher billing bracket the following billing period. Without approval from anyone in our organization. We are moving away from their service because they refuse to refund the money even after admitting what they did. They continue to do a song and dance, so we are simply moving to TaxJar, and paying for the API setup for $250 with covers their fraudulent charges x 10, and recurring cost is FAR LESS. I do NOT recommend these guys at all. Very disappointing experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Demand everything in writing, and insist on being contacted for any account changes.

They have caused issues, not solved them. I do not recommend using them. No customer should be put through what we've had to deal with .

Margaret S.

"Works Great, but additional training or assistance for no additional cost would be nice."

What do you like best?

We just do an export from our accounting software and import it into the Avalara program which works pretty well and doesn't take a lot of time. It gets the job done.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you have to enter your ending fuel inventory twice, once for the state return and a second time for the federal. The numbers are always going to be the same so I don't understand why you can't just enter it once and have it applied to both returns. Also the program has a lot of different areas and is difficult to complete the tasks you want done. Additional training or free support would be nice since you are paying a sizable annual licensing fee for using the software. Instead you have to buy additional hours of time for them to change your setup in order for the 720's to be calculating correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product gets the job done, but I personally have trouble getting it to do what I want it to do all the time.

Our business had not filed the 720-TO's for years because we did not have the capability of filing through EXSTARS. We were able to do all our past due 720-TO's, and stop using a consultant to prepare the 720's.

Bonnie F.

"Details, details!"

What do you like best?

The level of detail in the Avalara system is more than any other system I have ever seen. You can see taxes by state, city, county on each line item on your invoice. Also the dashboard gives you a window into so many points of activity for your company.

What do you dislike?

You cannot preview your tax return before it is filed. Luckily, we have not have any notices regarding any reporting problems regarding our mostly exempt sales. So our concerns have not materialized.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Avalara University is so very robust, as well as the dashboard. You can keep tabs on so much of your company activity by looking there. And you have control over your nexus and tax return filings.

We have accurate reporting with no lost records, like we had with our former vendor. We also like being notified of problems on the horizon, like expiring and missing tax exempt certs.

Randy V.

"No Fuss, No Muss"

What do you like best?

Avalara makes it easy to apply the proper tax for each state with no requirements to update tax rules in your system. Couple this with Cert Capture to manage the tax exempt certificates and you have a winning combination. Really like Cert Captures ability to email customers requesting new tax documents when what is on record is set to expire.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that you have to pay extra for the development environment. As a programmer, it is always best to have your development environment as close to the live environment as possible. Having to convince the accounting department that we need to pay the extra cost for the development system was troublesome until we had a crisis, then they saw the need.

The biggest benefit to us was with tax exemption certificates. We loaded all of our customers into Cert Capture and then used Cert Capture to send out the email to all customers asking for updated tax certificates. Their email templates were easy to use and very effective. This alone saved us many hours of manual work.

Mike C.

"Very easy install and implementation. Great functionality. Easy to get the right tax on an order."

What do you like best?

Every time someone has reported to me that the tax AvaTax has calculated is wrong, when i investigated I found that our previous tax system had been calculating tax wrong and now AvaTax was using the correct tax rates.

What do you dislike?

During the implementation it was a lot of work to validate our existing ship to addresses. We had a lot of records with bad data on them. It took a lot of work to clean up our bad data.

AvaTax keeps all the tax rules up to date with no work on our part. The result is correct tax on the orders. An unexpected side benefit is that with cleaner ship to addresses, our charge backs from UPS for bad address information has dropped way down.

Sabine D.

"Used to be an amazing company, but now customer service has declined considerably"

What do you like best?

Relatively easy system to set up and learn. Has worked well with Magento Enterprise.

What do you dislike?

Customer service. It takes weeks to get a response, and that is only after several repeated requests to respond. Responses are not helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As a controller for several organizations, I used to love Avalara and recommended them often. I used them at everything from small non profits to large multi-channel distributors. Their customer service, unfortunately, has gone downhill since I first started working with them. It takes our current customer service rep several weeks to respond to emails, and then it is only because I keep emailing about the non-response.

Recently a non profit I work with lost their funding and had to stop all retail sales. Our contract had auto-renewed and due to the sudden loss of funding, we would no longer be needing the service. I realize that the auto renew contract is our responsibility, but I pleaded with the company based on our long history with them and that the organization was a 501(c)(3) if there was anything they could do to save us money. It took weeks for me to even get a response and they basically told us that we would have to continue to pay for the service we would not be using. They made no effort at all to work with us.

This frustrating experience, combined with the poor customer service we have been receiving, leads me to no longer recommend Avalara. I am sorry as I really enjoyed working with the company in the beginning.

Multi state sales. Reporting was made easier.

AC

"Sales Tax Automation at it's best!"

What do you like best?

Automation - We do not need to worry about sales tax calculations for the different cities/states across the US, Avalara does the calculations automatically for us.

Great support team. Responsive and have always solved any issues we have had.

Native integration with NetSuite, means we do not have to management the integration of data between the systems i.e. low maintenance.

What do you dislike?

Only setup for US taxes right now. We would leverage the system even further if it was set up with international sales tax automation (VAT/GST).

UI within Avatax could be improved slightly. Sometimes a little difficult to reconcile sales tax accruals and payments between NetSuite and Avalara.

We are using Avalara to automate sales tax calculations on our sales invoices to customers in the US. Avalara in turn file our monthly/quarterly state tax returns for us and remit payment on our behalf.

Valerie F.

"Extremely satisfied customer"

What do you like best?

The flow of the program with my accounting software and the customer support are the best!

What do you dislike?

If I have to pick something, the hold time is long and the music while on hold. The music is clear, but too repetitive, needs variety. It is nice that the music is clear and not all static.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I researched vendors prior to selecting Avalara. I was most please with the product and support ratings. The pricing was reasonable. AvaTax saves me a lot of time and stress!

The problems solved by using Avalara/AvaTax is the massive amount of time spent keeping up with all of the various state and local agency rates, rules and regulations. As well as, all of the deposit and report frequencies. This program is a major time saver, especially for a one person accounting office.

"Automated sales tax management"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the use of technology to help administer out 15k+ exemption certificates.

What do you dislike?

Would love to get a heads up when certain standard screens are being changed. We programmed on our side based on the columns originally presented, and then the columns changed and we have no way of adding back all of the columns, and in the proper order for our tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You still need to have the right resources to determine you are setting everything up correctly, but administration and filing with Avalara saves us from hiring more staff.

It would have taken our team a lot of time to program the capture of the exemption certificates and manually add them to AvaTax. The software has allowed us to be more efficient.

Elaine W.

"Avatax is easy to use and their staff are very friendly and helpful"

What do you like best?

All of the state and local updates are automatic. I don't have to worry about staying on top of it any more.

What do you dislike?

I would like it more if the reports were available within GP. I wish it were easier to see the actual tax rates that were used on each order without drilling down so deep for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This software will save you a lot of headaches.

I am now confident that I am charging my customer the correct amount of taxes. I am no longer getting bothered by salesman asking me to calculate taxes for them.

EI
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Tax service great, customer service abysmal"

What do you like best?

AvaTax software integrates well with our financial systems, is accurate for our business needs, and for the Returns product, the states seem to have no issues with working with the Avalara team - once the Avalara team actually does their job.

What do you dislike?

Customer service is the WORST of any company we have ever worked with. We've had issues with Avalara filing returns from day one.

Issue 1 - They were contractually obligated to file through the Returns service we purchased, didn't do it, didn't file the power of attorney forms we provided, didn't resolve the tax issues they promised to resolve (and contractually are obligated to). We finally settled with one of the states for $50 in penalties after explaining the situation with Avalara; they understood the problems and gave us a break. Avalara never rectified their problem.

Issue 2 - Their account team during the process of resolving issue 1 was nonexistent. It took over 6 weeks to get our account manager to even respond to an email. Once we setup a time for the call, he asked me who I was and what company I was with, and what the problem was.

Issue 3 - tried to get a quote from the account manager for three months without the premium support - $2000 in our case - and he never provided.

Issue 4 - requested our automatic renewal be cancelled weeks in advance of our renewal and suprise our renewal - including the $2000 support I didn't want - was automatically charged to our card; I am still fighting these last two issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider other options. The horrendous customer service is not worth the tax services. There are others with much better service and reasonably the same services.

We use AvaTax and Returns. The tax side of their business works well, probably because it is software and not the actual humans employed at this business. The customer service and account management team are horrid.

Kellie H.

"AvaTax, a sales tax solution"

What do you like best?

AvaTax makes sales tax calculations and reporting very simple. It gives you a peace of mind that everything is being handled correctly in regards to our sales tax obligations with multiple states. Every state has different rates and laws and AvaTax helps us keep everything we do in compliance with each state.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about Avalara AvaTax. Implementation was a little tricky but that was because we use Sage 500 and have several customization's that are unique to just our company. There is a learning curve in the beginning to understand how everything works in AvaTax. I took a training class given by Avalara that helped me understand how everything works.

We use AvaTax to calculate sales tax in the 31 states we have nexus in and to report those sales tax to the various states. Using AvaTax gives us an assurance that we are in compliance. Avatax updates all sales tax rate changes so we don't have to worry with that. We also have AvaTax file all of our state and local sales tax reports. This saves our company a tremendous amount of time. If we ever receive a tax notice, we email the notice to Avalara and they help resolve the issue.

The majority of our customers are exempt. AvaTax makes it easy to enter those exemptions into the program and treats each invoice appropriately regarding sales tax calculations.

David W.

"Beneficial when filing in multiple states"

What do you like best?

I like that Avalara keeps up with the changing tax laws

What do you dislike?

It is a little pricey and the a la carte options could be better

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend this product, but I would also caution to make sure you know all the costs up front. I was expecting one thing and was surprised to find out something else. I think the product is a little pricey but I guess that value comes when you are not being audited by a State Gov't...or if you are audited that you have Avalara support.

No "problems" per se. Just trying to avoid incomplete or inaccurate sales tax filings

Mark P.

"AvaTax solves all of my sales tax requirements."

What do you like best?

Very easy to set up and use. Handles all of our sales tax requirements with little to no effort on our part. Very reasonably priced.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. We have been extremely pleased with AvaTax. It works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We have been very pleased with how easy it was to set up initially and how seamless it has been since to use since then. Definitely would recommend it to others who need to simplify and automate their sales taxes. Very affordable.

Calculating sales tax on customer invoices for multiple states and jurisdictions. AvaTax handles all of the sales tax calculations, reporting, returns, filings and payments seamlessly.

Barbara B.

"I have had very good results using the taxability, tools, and reporting."

What do you like best?

The accuracy of the taxing details, and the different reports which allowance me to get the different types of data required for the different states.

What do you dislike?

Reports now have combined cells when exporting to Excel were they did not in the past. This cause extra time in reconciling my reports as we still use two systems for reports. When I have two combine and add totals for state details I need uncombined cells before I can add the reports together.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Accurately taxes invoices and has multiple reports available to accommodate multiple state filings.

I am reviewing all invoices and solving all sales tax issues on items coded improperly. The benefit realized is the ability to review tax details at all levels and see the tax coding's to verify if the item is coded correctly based on the description I have of the item and address where the item is being shipped to. I also now use the tax tools a lot more in other areas to get tax details.

Joyce C.

"Avalara captures detailed information in quick reference format"

What do you like best?

The completeness of the reports provided and easy access to any previously posted transaction.

What do you dislike?

Entering an adjustment to a posted transaction is time consuming

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Of the three software programs I have worked in, Avalara provides the most complete and readable Sales Tax reports I have worked with. It is very easy to either combine or break down individually depending on how the sales tax return is arranged.

We are in the process of enrolling with all 50 states due to recent Supreme Court Decision. Avalara assumes the burden of keeping up with the continually changing local taxes in every state. Main benefit is not having to research and learn the complexities of every state's sales tax laws.

Bastien B.

"From bad to worst"

What do you like best?

I honestly can't say since I was not able to test their service at all after spending over a thousand dollars and hours of trying to set up their integration with WooCommerce.

What do you dislike?

First of all, their service is expensive.

Then, they told us (after we paid, of course) that their WooCommerce integration wasn't working with the latest version of WooCommerce and that their 3rd-party developper was working on it.

After some time, they announced us that they were changing of 3rd-party developpers and hence, we had to wait a little bit more because they were remaking the plugin entirely.

Note that during the months it took to sort all of this out, we were unable to use the service we paid for. Avatax was comprehensive about the problem and offered to extend our subscription period. Another surprise we've had after paying for their service... You have a time limit to use your transactions!

Avalara bills you based on a standard subscription fee plus a fee per transaction. Now you would think that the subscription fee would be something you'd pay only once to setup your account or something like this. No, at Avalara you'll be paying this fee every year, on top of the fees per transaction and fees per tax remitted in each jurisdiction you'll be paying. There are fees everywhere. I couldn't believe how shadily it was explained to us before we became one of their client.

So, Avalara extend our period because it was coming to an end. Yes you read that right, one full year to address an issue essential to use their service with WooCommerce, with which they claim to integrate perfectly.

Finally, we are able to use their latest integration. However, there's a conflict with one of our plugin so it doesn't calculate taxes at all. We are redirected to WooThemes to address the issue. So basically you have that company Avalara, who develops an integration with WooCommerce by a third-party and they ask you to get help from WooTheme when their stuff doesn't work. Really simple. So we invest time into the debugging of this issue and it's not entirely clear from which plugin the conflict is coming from. We have orders coming in, our company is expending and we just can't afford anymore to spend anymore time on this.

We paid Avalara to save time and money. We've got none of these. We've lost a lot of time trying to make their service work with us, we've spent money on their subscription service and we've pretty much got nothing in return.

After explaining all of that situation to one of their representative, which seems to change everytime you contact them. Funny thing because when you log into your account there's a box where you are supposed to have an account manager which you always communicate with. Anyway... we explain to them the problem because we've received a renewal notice with a lovely bill to pay which we don't want to pay because, well, it's been a year and a half we've been trying to use their service and it just doesn't work.

We have another company with a much more simpler platform kicking off in a few weeks so we're asking if maybe it would be possible to extend our period again to use it on this other company. The only answer we've had is that they could cancel our account and that they wouldn't be able to refund us anything.

Huzza.

What a complete waste of time and money.

Stay away from this company.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not consider Avalara AvaTax if you want to use it with a WooCommerce store.

None of our tax problems were solved. Benefits? I wish.

"Great software"

What do you like best?

We are saving so much time from using Avalara! We used to dread filing monthly sale tax returns, but now it is a breeze & takes barley any time. Not only does it save time, it saves us from doing a whole lot of "google" searches, & saves us money from filing incorrectly! We really enjoy how you can make an entire customer exempt or simply just one job/address.

What do you dislike?

the only problem we run in to is when we charge a customer tax on their purchase & they don't pay for 3 months, & when the customer pays, they tell us they are tax exempt. In our software we used to go in & enter in a credit for just the tax.. Now we have to write a return for the full invoice, so we get the credit in avatax, & then we rebill the customer as tax exempt.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

wonderful tax software

We are saving so much time & money since we switched to Avalara. We no longer have the headaches from filing monthly sales tax returns. even with the big states with multiple jurisdictions, we are filing the returns with no issues.

Learn more about Avalara

Avalara Videos

Learning about Avalara?

* We monitor all Avalara reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.