Avalara

Avalara

4.0

Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with sales and use, excise, communications, VAT other transactional tax requirements by delivering comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use. Avalara’s Compliance Cloud™ platform is designed to effectively manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities in the United States and internationally.

Work for Avalara?

Learning about Avalara?

Avalara Reviews

Ask Avalara a Question
Avalara review by Kellie H.
Kellie H.

"AvaTax, a sales tax solution"

What do you like best?

AvaTax makes sales tax calculations and reporting very simple. It gives you a peace of mind that everything is being handled correctly in regards to our sales tax obligations with multiple states. Every state has different rates and laws and AvaTax helps us keep everything we do in compliance with each state.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about Avalara AvaTax. Implementation was a little tricky but that was because we use Sage 500 and have several customization's that are unique to just our company. There is a learning curve in the beginning to understand how everything works in AvaTax. I took a training class given by Avalara that helped me understand how everything works.

We use AvaTax to calculate sales tax in the 31 states we have nexus in and to report those sales tax to the various states. Using AvaTax gives us an assurance that we are in compliance. Avatax updates all sales tax rate changes so we don't have to worry with that. We also have AvaTax file all of our state and local sales tax reports. This saves our company a tremendous amount of time. If we ever receive a tax notice, we email the notice to Avalara and they help resolve the issue.

The majority of our customers are exempt. AvaTax makes it easy to enter those exemptions into the program and treats each invoice appropriately regarding sales tax calculations.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Avalara
Showing 126 Avalara reviews
Avalara review by Janet G.
Janet G.

"Love Avalara"

What do you like best?

Avalara is an all encompassing tax system for all of your tax needs. My favorite part is not having to worry about having up to date tax rates anywhere!

What do you dislike?

My only dislike is that if you are saving a transaction or processing one in a POS for example and you have any connectivity issues it could miss hitting the server and not get a tax calculation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As an administrator for our Avalara account here and at my previous company, I have seen Avalara work in many different scenarios. The accuracy of the tax calculations which encompass location, items, customers, ship to, ship from, etc, is really amazing. Avalara works constantly to make sure all tax rates are kept up to date. It works extremely well with NetSuite ERP, which is cloud-based.

POS system for shipped orders. ECommerce for our Ecom site. We have also used it in our ERP for other cash sales as well.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Avalara
Avalara review by Alexander M.
Alexander M.

"Sales Tax Headaches No More"

What do you like best?

We no longer have to spend hours each month preparing and filing returns. I have peace of mind knowing that our returns are being filed timely and accurately. If there is ever a hiccup, we receive a prompt request from Avalara's filing team so we can make the correction and go on about our business. We also have the burden of a large number of exempt customers. Being able to track our exempt certificates in CertCapture makes audit requests easy. I spent minutes compiling documents for auditors last time instead of hours. No matter which direction I look at it from, we have won so much time back into our department.

What do you dislike?

While I do not have any complaints per se, I would like to see a stronger response to customer service issues when they come up. More so during our initial set up, we would try to reach out to support for an issue and the help would come at what felt like the eleventh hour. We have needed them less as time has gone on, but I still remember that lack of response as being a small pain point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about the amount of time you are spending on your tax compliance. How much more could you be doing if all you had to do each month is check the figures and let Avalara do the rest?

Our business operates in all 50 states. Keeping track of changes in tax laws and then subsequently updating our ERP system to collect the correct amounts so that the worksheets we used to file our returns would come out right was always a struggle. There was always this knife hanging over our heads, ready to fall if we missed a single step. We no longer have to worry about the finer points of sales tax compliance.

What Sales Tax Compliance solution do you use?

Avalara review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"All-in-One Tax Solution"

What do you like best?

Everything is done for me, instantly. I am very happy with the usability of the online portal, as well as the communication of the account representatives and support team. It is rare that I have to double check to make sure that Avalara is doing its job. It just works!

What do you dislike?

I wish that the cost was a bit cheaper, especially as this is a required product through Zoho. But really, I can't complain about much with Avalara. It does what I would likely forget to do!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the chance and go for it! This product does the work for you. It's incredible!

This has cut our time down by so much through automating the sales tax compliance and corporate tax. It's very nice to know that it all is just working in the background. We are very happy with the benefits it has provided us.

Avalara review by Nathon C.
Nathon C.

"No More Sales Tax Headaches"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of Avalara software is that you don't have to file any of your own sales tax reports with the states that you have nexus in. Avalara takes care of all of this for me. It's also fantastic that Avalara calculates all my sales tax for me on all my invoices.

What do you dislike?

We use the QuickBooks online connector which works really well, but I wish I could exclude certain invoices from calculating sales tax. We have some internal accounting that where we create invoices that are just for revenue purposes and not for sales or tax purposes. The connector doesn't allow us to turn off the calculation for any invoices. This makes it so we have void the invoices within the Avatax system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this to any business big or small. This will really simplify your sales tax process and cut costs as well.

I'm solving the problem of having to have an extra staff member just to file all of our sales tax returns. Also, I'm streamlining the sales tax calculations and using the Avalara tax codes so that we don't have to do all the in-house sales tax research to find out if our sales are taxable in a certain location.

Avalara review by Reanna R.
Reanna R.

"Great software to eliminate the hassle of filing taxes!"

What do you like best?

- Monthly filing is an ease. You can also set up schedules for Quarterly/Annual filing and be confident that it will be done correctly and timely.

- Works with many different platforms. Our company uses NetSuite and for the most part, it's a seamless integration.

- Transparent reporting. Variety of reports available for download to reconcile sales and use tax filings and for audit purposes.

What do you dislike?

- Consumer Use Tax feature isn't as developed yet (for NetSuite platform).

- Customer support can be lacking at times - long phone wait times.

- Sales tax for auditing purposes. A lot of reports to support amounts being filed.

- Avalara provides insightful information that assists with deciding nexus within additional states.

Avalara review by Administrator

"Fraudulent company - Do not recommend"

What do you like best?

Ease of integration into Zoho CRM was easy to set up.

What do you dislike?

Poor support. Fraudulent practices. Changed our program without permission saying they "put us on a promotional program for no additional charge" that we didn't need, and then rolled us into a much higher billing bracket the following billing period. Without approval from anyone in our organization. We are moving away from their service because they refuse to refund the money even after admitting what they did. They continue to do a song and dance, so we are simply moving to TaxJar, and paying for the API setup for $250 with covers their fraudulent charges x 10, and recurring cost is FAR LESS. I do NOT recommend these guys at all. Very disappointing experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Demand everything in writing, and insist on being contacted for any account changes.

They have caused issues, not solved them. I do not recommend using them. No customer should be put through what we've had to deal with .

Avalara review by Margaret S.
Margaret S.

"Works Great, but additional training or assistance for no additional cost would be nice."

What do you like best?

We just do an export from our accounting software and import it into the Avalara program which works pretty well and doesn't take a lot of time. It gets the job done.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you have to enter your ending fuel inventory twice, once for the state return and a second time for the federal. The numbers are always going to be the same so I don't understand why you can't just enter it once and have it applied to both returns. Also the program has a lot of different areas and is difficult to complete the tasks you want done. Additional training or free support would be nice since you are paying a sizable annual licensing fee for using the software. Instead you have to buy additional hours of time for them to change your setup in order for the 720's to be calculating correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product gets the job done, but I personally have trouble getting it to do what I want it to do all the time.

Our business had not filed the 720-TO's for years because we did not have the capability of filing through EXSTARS. We were able to do all our past due 720-TO's, and stop using a consultant to prepare the 720's.

Avalara review by Bonnie F.
Bonnie F.

"Details, details!"

What do you like best?

The level of detail in the Avalara system is more than any other system I have ever seen. You can see taxes by state, city, county on each line item on your invoice. Also the dashboard gives you a window into so many points of activity for your company.

What do you dislike?

You cannot preview your tax return before it is filed. Luckily, we have not have any notices regarding any reporting problems regarding our mostly exempt sales. So our concerns have not materialized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avalara University is so very robust, as well as the dashboard. You can keep tabs on so much of your company activity by looking there. And you have control over your nexus and tax return filings.

We have accurate reporting with no lost records, like we had with our former vendor. We also like being notified of problems on the horizon, like expiring and missing tax exempt certs.

Avalara review by Randy V.
Randy V.

"No Fuss, No Muss"

What do you like best?

Avalara makes it easy to apply the proper tax for each state with no requirements to update tax rules in your system. Couple this with Cert Capture to manage the tax exempt certificates and you have a winning combination. Really like Cert Captures ability to email customers requesting new tax documents when what is on record is set to expire.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that you have to pay extra for the development environment. As a programmer, it is always best to have your development environment as close to the live environment as possible. Having to convince the accounting department that we need to pay the extra cost for the development system was troublesome until we had a crisis, then they saw the need.

The biggest benefit to us was with tax exemption certificates. We loaded all of our customers into Cert Capture and then used Cert Capture to send out the email to all customers asking for updated tax certificates. Their email templates were easy to use and very effective. This alone saved us many hours of manual work.

Avalara review by Mike C.
Mike C.

"Very easy install and implementation. Great functionality. Easy to get the right tax on an order."

What do you like best?

Every time someone has reported to me that the tax AvaTax has calculated is wrong, when i investigated I found that our previous tax system had been calculating tax wrong and now AvaTax was using the correct tax rates.

What do you dislike?

During the implementation it was a lot of work to validate our existing ship to addresses. We had a lot of records with bad data on them. It took a lot of work to clean up our bad data.

AvaTax keeps all the tax rules up to date with no work on our part. The result is correct tax on the orders. An unexpected side benefit is that with cleaner ship to addresses, our charge backs from UPS for bad address information has dropped way down.

Avalara review by Sabine D.
Sabine D.

"Used to be an amazing company, but now customer service has declined considerably"

What do you like best?

Relatively easy system to set up and learn. Has worked well with Magento Enterprise.

What do you dislike?

Customer service. It takes weeks to get a response, and that is only after several repeated requests to respond. Responses are not helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a controller for several organizations, I used to love Avalara and recommended them often. I used them at everything from small non profits to large multi-channel distributors. Their customer service, unfortunately, has gone downhill since I first started working with them. It takes our current customer service rep several weeks to respond to emails, and then it is only because I keep emailing about the non-response.

Recently a non profit I work with lost their funding and had to stop all retail sales. Our contract had auto-renewed and due to the sudden loss of funding, we would no longer be needing the service. I realize that the auto renew contract is our responsibility, but I pleaded with the company based on our long history with them and that the organization was a 501(c)(3) if there was anything they could do to save us money. It took weeks for me to even get a response and they basically told us that we would have to continue to pay for the service we would not be using. They made no effort at all to work with us.

This frustrating experience, combined with the poor customer service we have been receiving, leads me to no longer recommend Avalara. I am sorry as I really enjoyed working with the company in the beginning.

Multi state sales. Reporting was made easier.

Avalara review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Sales Tax Automation at it's best!"

What do you like best?

Automation - We do not need to worry about sales tax calculations for the different cities/states across the US, Avalara does the calculations automatically for us.

Great support team. Responsive and have always solved any issues we have had.

Native integration with NetSuite, means we do not have to management the integration of data between the systems i.e. low maintenance.

What do you dislike?

Only setup for US taxes right now. We would leverage the system even further if it was set up with international sales tax automation (VAT/GST).

UI within Avatax could be improved slightly. Sometimes a little difficult to reconcile sales tax accruals and payments between NetSuite and Avalara.

We are using Avalara to automate sales tax calculations on our sales invoices to customers in the US. Avalara in turn file our monthly/quarterly state tax returns for us and remit payment on our behalf.

Avalara review by Valerie F.
Valerie F.

"Extremely satisfied customer"

What do you like best?

The flow of the program with my accounting software and the customer support are the best!

What do you dislike?

If I have to pick something, the hold time is long and the music while on hold. The music is clear, but too repetitive, needs variety. It is nice that the music is clear and not all static.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I researched vendors prior to selecting Avalara. I was most please with the product and support ratings. The pricing was reasonable. AvaTax saves me a lot of time and stress!

The problems solved by using Avalara/AvaTax is the massive amount of time spent keeping up with all of the various state and local agency rates, rules and regulations. As well as, all of the deposit and report frequencies. This program is a major time saver, especially for a one person accounting office.

Avalara review by Administrator

"Automated sales tax management"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the use of technology to help administer out 15k+ exemption certificates.

What do you dislike?

Would love to get a heads up when certain standard screens are being changed. We programmed on our side based on the columns originally presented, and then the columns changed and we have no way of adding back all of the columns, and in the proper order for our tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You still need to have the right resources to determine you are setting everything up correctly, but administration and filing with Avalara saves us from hiring more staff.

It would have taken our team a lot of time to program the capture of the exemption certificates and manually add them to AvaTax. The software has allowed us to be more efficient.

Avalara review by Elaine W.
Elaine W.

"Avatax is easy to use and their staff are very friendly and helpful"

What do you like best?

All of the state and local updates are automatic. I don't have to worry about staying on top of it any more.

What do you dislike?

I would like it more if the reports were available within GP. I wish it were easier to see the actual tax rates that were used on each order without drilling down so deep for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software will save you a lot of headaches.

I am now confident that I am charging my customer the correct amount of taxes. I am no longer getting bothered by salesman asking me to calculate taxes for them.

Avalara review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Tax service great, customer service abysmal"

What do you like best?

AvaTax software integrates well with our financial systems, is accurate for our business needs, and for the Returns product, the states seem to have no issues with working with the Avalara team - once the Avalara team actually does their job.

What do you dislike?

Customer service is the WORST of any company we have ever worked with. We've had issues with Avalara filing returns from day one.

Issue 1 - They were contractually obligated to file through the Returns service we purchased, didn't do it, didn't file the power of attorney forms we provided, didn't resolve the tax issues they promised to resolve (and contractually are obligated to). We finally settled with one of the states for $50 in penalties after explaining the situation with Avalara; they understood the problems and gave us a break. Avalara never rectified their problem.

Issue 2 - Their account team during the process of resolving issue 1 was nonexistent. It took over 6 weeks to get our account manager to even respond to an email. Once we setup a time for the call, he asked me who I was and what company I was with, and what the problem was.

Issue 3 - tried to get a quote from the account manager for three months without the premium support - $2000 in our case - and he never provided.

Issue 4 - requested our automatic renewal be cancelled weeks in advance of our renewal and suprise our renewal - including the $2000 support I didn't want - was automatically charged to our card; I am still fighting these last two issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider other options. The horrendous customer service is not worth the tax services. There are others with much better service and reasonably the same services.

We use AvaTax and Returns. The tax side of their business works well, probably because it is software and not the actual humans employed at this business. The customer service and account management team are horrid.

Avalara review by Kellie H.
Kellie H.

"AvaTax, a sales tax solution"

What do you dislike?

Avalara review by David W.
David W.

"Beneficial when filing in multiple states"

What do you like best?

I like that Avalara keeps up with the changing tax laws

What do you dislike?

It is a little pricey and the a la carte options could be better

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this product, but I would also caution to make sure you know all the costs up front. I was expecting one thing and was surprised to find out something else. I think the product is a little pricey but I guess that value comes when you are not being audited by a State Gov't...or if you are audited that you have Avalara support.

No "problems" per se. Just trying to avoid incomplete or inaccurate sales tax filings

Avalara review by Mark P.
Mark P.

"AvaTax solves all of my sales tax requirements."

What do you like best?

Very easy to set up and use. Handles all of our sales tax requirements with little to no effort on our part. Very reasonably priced.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. We have been extremely pleased with AvaTax. It works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have been very pleased with how easy it was to set up initially and how seamless it has been since to use since then. Definitely would recommend it to others who need to simplify and automate their sales taxes. Very affordable.

Calculating sales tax on customer invoices for multiple states and jurisdictions. AvaTax handles all of the sales tax calculations, reporting, returns, filings and payments seamlessly.

Avalara review by Barbara B.
Barbara B.

"I have had very good results using the taxability, tools, and reporting."

What do you like best?

The accuracy of the taxing details, and the different reports which allowance me to get the different types of data required for the different states.

What do you dislike?

Reports now have combined cells when exporting to Excel were they did not in the past. This cause extra time in reconciling my reports as we still use two systems for reports. When I have two combine and add totals for state details I need uncombined cells before I can add the reports together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Accurately taxes invoices and has multiple reports available to accommodate multiple state filings.

I am reviewing all invoices and solving all sales tax issues on items coded improperly. The benefit realized is the ability to review tax details at all levels and see the tax coding's to verify if the item is coded correctly based on the description I have of the item and address where the item is being shipped to. I also now use the tax tools a lot more in other areas to get tax details.

Avalara review by Joyce C.
Joyce C.

"Avalara captures detailed information in quick reference format"

What do you like best?

The completeness of the reports provided and easy access to any previously posted transaction.

What do you dislike?

Entering an adjustment to a posted transaction is time consuming

Recommendations to others considering the product

Of the three software programs I have worked in, Avalara provides the most complete and readable Sales Tax reports I have worked with. It is very easy to either combine or break down individually depending on how the sales tax return is arranged.

We are in the process of enrolling with all 50 states due to recent Supreme Court Decision. Avalara assumes the burden of keeping up with the continually changing local taxes in every state. Main benefit is not having to research and learn the complexities of every state's sales tax laws.

Avalara review by Bastien B.
Bastien B.

"From bad to worst"

What do you like best?

I honestly can't say since I was not able to test their service at all after spending over a thousand dollars and hours of trying to set up their integration with WooCommerce.

What do you dislike?

First of all, their service is expensive.

Then, they told us (after we paid, of course) that their WooCommerce integration wasn't working with the latest version of WooCommerce and that their 3rd-party developper was working on it.

After some time, they announced us that they were changing of 3rd-party developpers and hence, we had to wait a little bit more because they were remaking the plugin entirely.

Note that during the months it took to sort all of this out, we were unable to use the service we paid for. Avatax was comprehensive about the problem and offered to extend our subscription period. Another surprise we've had after paying for their service... You have a time limit to use your transactions!

Avalara bills you based on a standard subscription fee plus a fee per transaction. Now you would think that the subscription fee would be something you'd pay only once to setup your account or something like this. No, at Avalara you'll be paying this fee every year, on top of the fees per transaction and fees per tax remitted in each jurisdiction you'll be paying. There are fees everywhere. I couldn't believe how shadily it was explained to us before we became one of their client.

So, Avalara extend our period because it was coming to an end. Yes you read that right, one full year to address an issue essential to use their service with WooCommerce, with which they claim to integrate perfectly.

Finally, we are able to use their latest integration. However, there's a conflict with one of our plugin so it doesn't calculate taxes at all. We are redirected to WooThemes to address the issue. So basically you have that company Avalara, who develops an integration with WooCommerce by a third-party and they ask you to get help from WooTheme when their stuff doesn't work. Really simple. So we invest time into the debugging of this issue and it's not entirely clear from which plugin the conflict is coming from. We have orders coming in, our company is expending and we just can't afford anymore to spend anymore time on this.

We paid Avalara to save time and money. We've got none of these. We've lost a lot of time trying to make their service work with us, we've spent money on their subscription service and we've pretty much got nothing in return.

After explaining all of that situation to one of their representative, which seems to change everytime you contact them. Funny thing because when you log into your account there's a box where you are supposed to have an account manager which you always communicate with. Anyway... we explain to them the problem because we've received a renewal notice with a lovely bill to pay which we don't want to pay because, well, it's been a year and a half we've been trying to use their service and it just doesn't work.

We have another company with a much more simpler platform kicking off in a few weeks so we're asking if maybe it would be possible to extend our period again to use it on this other company. The only answer we've had is that they could cancel our account and that they wouldn't be able to refund us anything.

Huzza.

What a complete waste of time and money.

Stay away from this company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not consider Avalara AvaTax if you want to use it with a WooCommerce store.

None of our tax problems were solved. Benefits? I wish.

"Great software"

What do you like best?

We are saving so much time from using Avalara! We used to dread filing monthly sale tax returns, but now it is a breeze & takes barley any time. Not only does it save time, it saves us from doing a whole lot of "google" searches, & saves us money from filing incorrectly! We really enjoy how you can make an entire customer exempt or simply just one job/address.

What do you dislike?

the only problem we run in to is when we charge a customer tax on their purchase & they don't pay for 3 months, & when the customer pays, they tell us they are tax exempt. In our software we used to go in & enter in a credit for just the tax.. Now we have to write a return for the full invoice, so we get the credit in avatax, & then we rebill the customer as tax exempt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

wonderful tax software

We are saving so much time & money since we switched to Avalara. We no longer have the headaches from filing monthly sales tax returns. even with the big states with multiple jurisdictions, we are filing the returns with no issues.

Avalara review by User

"Avalara helps ensure we are compliant and manages sales tax returns so we don't have to. "

What do you like best?

Avalara's staff are responsive and helpful. Our account managers have always taken the time to meet with us to discuss our questions and concerns, and to work with us on the cost of services. They have worked with us numerous times to resolve back-filing and amended filing issues.

What do you dislike?

The implementation of Avalara into our existing software did not go as smoothly as we thought it could have. We were not given a heads-up of how it would change our day-to-day activities in our software. It added steps to our invoicing process and causes snags in processes like running statements.

The bulk of our business is based in a state where sales tax is not charged on services, so we were unfamiliar with the intricacies of sales tax nexus and compliance. Avalara was our choice for handling this new and complex element of business and the relationship takes that worry off our plates.

Avalara review by Paul J.
Paul J.

"Never again do I have to file a state Sales tax return"

What do you like best?

Taxes are accurate, and they do the registration and filing for me.

They will even manage my exemption certs for me.

What do you dislike?

the charge per web call pricing model, instead of price per invoice like they used to have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended it to many of my friends. It is a life saver.

saving the manpower and effort of maintaining tax rates for all the jurisdictions. We never had rates accurate and always got dinged in audits before Avalara.

"Average Service"

What do you like best?

We have pretty much everything figured out for the system and don't have much trouble using it anymore. Since my last review, response time has increased and I seem to be getting more support with my issues. The improvement is appreciated.

What do you dislike?

Response time isnt always the best and the cost is extremely high. We had a state attempting to get ahold of us for collections, they were calling Avalara and no one was responding or letting us know to contact them. We finally found out when we went to collections for the state and prompty got the issue fixed, which was an issue with the the way the return was filed, not actual payment. There is no way for me to know this issue was fixed until it happens again, which hopefully it doesnt. And that makes me nervous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to compare Avalara and Tax Jar. Tax Jar was cheaper when we reanalyzed the services. But once you have started with a company, redoing all the filing calendars and learning the new service greatly inhibits you from just switching over. Especially when you have over 100 filing calendars.

We are an ecommerce business that files taxes for 5 companies in 24 states. Avalara keeps us from having to figure out how to fill out each and every form for each and every state.

Avalara review by Connie L.
Connie L.

"Avalara Review"

What do you like best?

Avalara simplifies our sales tax calculations and makes remittance easy. It saves a lot of staff time with manual calculations.

What do you dislike?

There's not really anything to dislike - it takes a little bit of work to get it up and running but after that it's easy to use.

We are saving a lot of time with Avalara - also relying on their expertise for any changes in regulations etc that we don't have time to track.

Avalara review by Joe E.
Joe E.

"Sales tax turns simple"

What do you like best?

Avalara help us transition our Sales and Use Tax filing needs to our new ERP system seamlessly. After a very brief and simple review process, all of our data is uploaded to Avalara and the returns are created, filed and paid on our behalf.

What do you dislike?

I can honestly say there isn't much I dislike. Avalara makes everything very simple, we file over 300 returns a quarter to various jurisdictions and looking at the Excel spreadsheet can be a little daunting at first, but once you get used to it, you find the data you're looking for.

Avalara has really streamlined the reporting process and saved my department several days of processing each month.

Avalara review by Administrator

"It has become invaluable with all the new changes in sales tax laws"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of seeing all the information in the reports and not having to file the returns anymore

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes I do have difficulties with the certificates in Cert Capture but I can ALWAYS count on the support team to help solve any issues I run into.

Avalara has cut down the time that used to be involved in preparing and filing all the sales & use tax returns for which we are responsible. The storage of the Certificates and the archived information for tax preparation has saved us $$$ when being audited by the various states. All the info is right at our fingertips!

Avalara review by Alex F.
Alex F.

"Timesaver and Accurate"

What do you like best?

The fact that Avalara saves us valuable time is huge for productivity. No longer do we have to worry about the accuracy of sales tax rates in any county across the whole country. Also, the integration with QuickBooks was simple, easy, and works efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Some of the placement of display lines on Estimates through QuickBooks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great application if you have sales across the country. Especially, with the change of the internet sales tax laws, it will save you time and give peace of mind that everything is correctly done.

Finding sales tax rates, anywhere in the country. Figuring out resale certificates in certain states. Time Saving.

Avalara review by Executive Sponsor in Primary/Secondary Education
Executive Sponsor in Primary/Secondary Education

"Poor service"

What do you like best?

Standard tax API, just like you can get from Sovos, CCH, and Vertex. Nothing special.

Only reason we are with them is because they integrated with our shopping cart.

What do you dislike?

Same issue escalated 4 time, never received a response from anyone. It is common to have bumps during an implementation, but our included change of version two times, late notice (only given 2 hours) to provide returns authentication information by deadline, and 4 repeat emails to Sales Rep and Customer Account Manager yielded no reply. Totally unacceptable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for service, not your pick. If you are looking for the marketing engine that has api/integration partnerships with a lot of other applications, they are your pick.

sales tax. Increased costs.

Avalara review by Dia L.
Dia L.

"Great Service for anyone needed Sales Tax Info"

What do you like best?

That I can put in any street address or zip code and get instant GRT rates anywhere in the country

What do you dislike?

My ONLY complaint is that when our tax rates changed on July 01, 2018, it took Avalara a few days to update the rates and we didn't know.

We've done a much better job collecting accurate GRT in the various jurisdictions and it is much easier and faster than using jurisdictional tax schedules

Avalara review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"It is a good service but if you need something amended they will charge you an arm and leg to do so."

What do you like best?

The convenience of not thinking about the always changing state tax laws

What do you dislike?

The fact the if we get ordered by the state to amend a tax return. You will get charged an absurd amount of money in order to get it fixed and you basically just do it yourself because it is completely ridiculous the amount of money that will be charged to amend something. When they probably just have to hit a few buttons to do so.

That we do not have to think about the changing laws. The benefits are that we don't have to file the returns

Avalara review by Administrator

"Avalara AvaTax saves time and takes the headache out of sales taxes."

What do you like best?

Once Avalara is set up, you can let it go and forget about it until month end. I don't have to worry about changing tax rates through out the US. As long as you code your products correctly and have Avalara set up to check tax rates in the correct states, you can breath easy knowing you are charging the correct sales tax amounts.

What do you dislike?

If you are growing quickly, be aware that the pricing is based on volume. If you are growing, you will need to upgrade to a higher tier and their will be a change in price and an upgrade fee. Also, the connectors to POS, ERP, or ecommerce sites can get pricey. I had a quote to connect to NetStuite for $3,000 a month. That is nearly the price I am paying for my entire ERP system! Also, Avalara does not connect with Amazon at this time, so if you sell on Amazon, there are going to be manual processes to get those transactions into Avalara for tax return completion.

We have been able to grow from sales in our home state to having nexus in 30 states without adding any account staff. We spend a couple of hours a month tying out sales tax and review state return amounts, but less time to review for 30 states then we were spending for manually doing the sales tax return in our home state.

Avalara review by Administrator in Computer Hardware
Administrator in Computer Hardware

"Tax collection made easy"

What do you like best?

Wonderful integration with existing e-commerce platforms. Tech support is excellent and timely in addressing most issues. This platform is essential for collecting sales taxes in a multi channel environment.

What do you dislike?

Some integrations have had a discrepancy with transactions. Not sure at this point on side of vendor or platform, but has been our experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very mature platform for collecting and administrating sales tax collection across multiple sales channels. Support is excellent for trouble shooting any issues and provides very quick on-boarding.

Ability to seamlessly collect sales tax in multiple nexus jurisdictions across various sale channels.

Avalara review by User in Financial Services

"Tax Compliance"

What do you like best?

I like that it has a use tax tool that can be utilized to remit use tax on purchases. This comes in handy for contractors with a tax-free inventory.

What do you dislike?

The rates are not always correct based upon the zip code. We constantly find tax rates that are incorrect when reconciling data. Also, it is up to the user to set up the correct type of tax; i.e. if you are an out-of-state business in New Mexico, then you must set yourself up to collect at the flat rate. We have a few clients that have over-collected tax by using the rates for an in-state business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you set up your state profiles correctly as far as in-state verses out-of-state vendors so you will be filing the correct tax return and collect at the correct rates. Avalara does not provide guidance for setup.

Tax compliance across all US state and local jurisdictions. Every state is different with regards to sales and use tax compliance and rates, so it is good to have a single tool when you have nexus across the US>

Avalara review by Madison L.
Madison L.

"Great Service"

What do you like best?

Not only does Avatax calc and file your sales tax returns, you can run reports that will show you where your revenue $ are coming from . So in effect, you can turn it into a marketing tool

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it has to be reinstalled on QBooks. This can be frustrating. :-(

Also, there should be a simple way to access and decide on the tax items/codes that you will be using for your biz. Avalara has thousands of tax codes and biz owners should only get codes applicable to their industry.

Relief of sales tax compliance

Avalara review by Renae B.
Renae B.

"Avalara AvaTax/AvaCerts"

What do you like best?

Once you have your products set up with tax codes and you get your customers set up with the appropriate exemption certificates, Avalara really does all the work for you.

What do you dislike?

They use an interface to send data from the certs portal to the admin portal. This has caused problems for us on numerous occasions. We've been told several times over the past 2 years they are working to combine everything into one portal, but we have yet to see that happen. I would say 99% of the frustrations we experience are related to the interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend the money and have a tax consulting firm analyze your products to ensure you are using the correct tax does and assist you in determining nexus. Use Avalara's tax services to register your company in new states. We did about three quarters of ours in-house (i.e. I did them) and the rest were done by Avalara. It was well worth the money to have Avalara do this for us. I can't even begin to add up the amount of time spent searching for registration forms online and then further combing through pages of form instructions.

We are a med device manufacturer. We brought on a division that sells consumables to end users, thus creating sales tax liability. We'd tried another product early on and found it wasn't suitable to our particular business needs. Namely, it did not contain applicable tax codes for our products. We were also doing the returns in-house at that time. After implementing Avalara, we feel confident our sales are being accurately taxed and we are utilizing their services for return filing as well. We were looking to hire someone specifically to manage the returns, so this saved us a significant amount of money.

Avalara review by Bradley J.
Bradley J.

"AvaTax saves us a LOT of time and effort"

What do you like best?

The automatic calculation of the CORRECT tax at the instant of printing an invoice is a very comforting feeling. It is second only to the fact that we now write one "check" at the end of each month and ALL of our tax filings are done correctly - guaranteed. Again, the peace of mind is wonderful.

What do you dislike?

Not much.... Their portal was a little disjointed at first, but has come a long way and is actually much easier to use now..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to them. Depending upon the number of states you have nexus in and the number of invoices you are generating, this could be a life saver for some businesses..

Previously we knew we were probably not calculating taxes right in some states like IL and CA where the tax rules and multitude of tax rates are so complex. Also, having to maintain all the records and reports needed for filing returns was a headache we no longer have. We have freed up at least 50 hours / month that we now put to better use.

Avalara review by Mike P.
Mike P.

"Sales Tax Reporting Made Easy"

What do you like best?

Ability to manage sales tax reporting for multiple companies on a national basis.

What do you dislike?

Sales tax consulting is not supplied with the service, or at least to my knowledge. I have to rely on a third party for sales tax consulting and advice. In addition, I am required to pay in advance for my annual service and it is sometimes hard to predict what our sales volume will be a year out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avalara is a rapidly growing company and it is sometimes difficult to get support after implementation is complete. I recommend establishing a good relationship with your account manager so they can help you if you ever need it.

Managing tax rates, logging transactions and reporting sales tax in multiple states and jurisdictions for multiple companies. AvaTax allows me to calculate my sales tax obligation, track all of my transactions and provides sales tax reporting services.

Avalara review by Jason S.
Jason S.

"Saves me time, and money. "

What do you like best?

The integration directly into my ERP (Dynamics AX & GP) makes sales taxes by location seemless.

What do you dislike?

Wish it could incorporate more functionality with location setup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Contact directly rather than through a VAR.

I was able to downsize one sales tax accountant. I've also passed 7 state audits with ZERO penalties or fines. I could not say that when I employed someone full time to run the same functionality.

Avalara review by Mike M.
Mike M.

"AvaTax Makes It Easy."

What do you like best?

It just works...set it and forget it. I don't worry about AvaTax at all because my quotes are rated with the appropriate tax rate automatically.

What do you dislike?

I can not think of anything that I don't like about the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The company was easy to work with and they help me get started. Smooth sailing ever since.

Ensuring that our quotes get the appropriate tax information on them,

Avalara review by Chris C.
Chris C.

"Avalara - Go to Sales Tax Provider"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that all your sales tax needs are housed within one environment under the Avalara umbrella. Their customer support is also top notched.

What do you dislike?

I think there can be some improvements made to the process of filing amended returns.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would definitely recommend using Avalara to others. Definitely helps to put a project team together with a main point of contact at Avalara and your IT department.

We have outsources our sales tax filings which has freed up manpower to tackle other areas that need attention.

Avalara review by Lee S.
Lee S.

"Great way to stay up on tax requirements without being a Tax expert."

What do you like best?

AvaTax was easy to connect to Magento. I especially like that we do not have to be experts in sales in every state and county we makes sales in. The customer support groups has been awesome. They respond quickly and provide guidance in a variety of areas.

What do you dislike?

The search for a specific addresses has some qwirks. We can find an address in Google maps but when we search in AvaTax, it cannot be found. We have to find some address close by and use it to get the tax rate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

AvaTax has been a great partner in getting our new line of business up and running. The support is great and I would be hard pressed to find a better solution.

AvaTax is solving our need to apply sales tax to invoices for e-commerce business. We have been able to expand our business without bringing in additional headcount.

Avalara review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Don't use their free API!"

What do you like best?

Their site looks nice, they have a free version of the API (which is actually not accurate).

What do you dislike?

The free API that they use as a "lead generation tool" has two problems. First of all, it is not updated on any reasonable schedule. We made a mistake of relying on it and the CA tax rate was off for over 1 month now. The support reps tell you that this product is not really supported or guaranteed and I should just move to a paid version. Which I am fine with except there is no upgrade path from free API to a paid service. So now we need to re-invest into the development of a different API integration and abandon everything that was built originally.

Having accurate tax would be great if it only worked.

Avalara review by Steve F.
Steve F.

"Avalara is the SIMPLEST state sales tax tool for ecommerce "

What do you like best?

SIMPLE. EASY. FAST.

Avalara makes it easy to monitor, track, calculate, and charge the correct sales tax for every municipality and county that you can imagine.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, the only frustrating thing is that we NEED Avalara! it would be so much simpler if the various municiipal structures didn't have to leverage their own tax rates and it was a simple flat tax across all boundaries. Alas, the need for Avalara is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just consider the costs of NOT using Avalara --- get your employees revved up to monitor every taxable entity in the state, make sure you cross check all rates for any changes, update those rates in your systems, and then deploy them instantly. Oh -- and then be ready to do it again in 30 days. UGH.

By leveraging Avalara, we don't have to monitor 88 counties and hundreds of municipal zones every month. There are no new changes that we have to log, and no overlapping territories that we have to anticipate. We've saved countless man-hours by not having to police the tax rate structures (confirming old and updating new) just to be "compliant" on tax codes.

Avalara review by Joe D.
Joe D.

"Sales Tax made easy"

What do you like best?

Avalara keeps all the data in one place and completes required reports and filing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes an invoice will have to be adjusted for the proper sales tax,

Preparation of sales tax returns and having the proper documentation to avoid errors in sales tax reporting.

Avalara review by Tim P.
Tim P.

"Best Sales Tax Solution out there!!"

What do you like best?

This program does everything I need to complete my monthly sales tax returns in a very timely manner. Beats our previous sales tax software we were using by a long shot. We did not like Vertex at all.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Absolutely a complete and total process from beginning to end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you try this you will NOT switch to anything else.

Make us compliant with tax rates/rules within the jurisdictions we file in. The time we save by using Avalara is remarkable.

Avalara review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"Avalara is an excellent product"

What do you like best?

It is a great product that is user friendly. I am so grateful to utilize the product to maintain our company's sales and use taxes across the county. I like how it interfaces with our Sage software as well.

What do you dislike?

I really have no dislike of the product.

Avalara is solving the ability to collect and pay sales taxes across the country. It is such an excellent help in doing that. I wonder what it was like before without such software.

Avalara review by Administrator

"CertCapture has a lot of promise"

What do you like best?

Is the ability to run campaigns for large amounts of needed certificates.

What do you dislike?

There is no database just for storage of expired certificates. You should have this to be able to store and see historical information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know that when your certificates expire, if you do not download them and remove them from the system you will be charged for each and every one of them.

We are able to have certificates quickly on hand for the multiple states in which we do business and track the status of each customer's certificate.

Learn more about Avalara

Avalara Videos

Learning about Avalara?

* We monitor all Avalara reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.