Articulate Storyline

Articulate Storyline is designed for people who want to easily create interactive e-learning courses and content. Only Articulate Storyline has slide layers, triggers, and states—the features that let you create any type of interactivity you can imagine without programming.

Work for Articulate Storyline?

Learning about Articulate Storyline?

Articulate Storyline Reviews

Ask Articulate Storyline a Question
Showing 219 Articulate Storyline reviews
Articulate Storyline review by James J.
James J.

"Great, but not perfect"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Storyline is the online community, E-Learning Heroes. Articulate has done an amazing job of building up this community for tech support, work samples, contests, and best practice discussions. It's amazing and unlike anything I've seen before. I also love the ease of use. If you can use PowerPoint, you can use Storyline. More advanced features like web objects, variables, JavaScript, etc make it quite powerful if you're interested in that, but it's not necessary to know any of that stuff to make a really good course. Options to export courses as SCORM (LMS) packages, video files, HTML files to post on the web, and Word docs make it a versatile tool.

What do you dislike?

There are a few little things. For instance, if I record a very long audio and then edit it down to a shorter size, it takes a long time to drag the end of the "timeline" to the end of the audio. Double-clicking to resize would be nice. Sometimes the app crashes at random times, but they have introduced project recovery in the latest major release, so that's mitigated somewhat.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would choose Articulate over its competitors in a heartbeat. In particular, I have an Articulate 360 account. The other applications that come in the package are definitely worth it. The online user community at E-Learning Heroes is also a tremendous resource. Questions are answered by experts usually within a few hours.

I can very quickly produce employee training and development programs to track in my LMS. I can also create high-quality video content, complete with animations and voice over narration and the like, and it's much easier to use than more full-featured apps like Adobe After Effects.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Articulate Storyline
Articulate Storyline review by Timothy A.
Timothy A.

"Close to Perfect Rapid Development Authoring Tool"

What do you like best?

Quick, intuitive app that is great for developing a course quickly and efficiently. After watching the YouTube videos to get you started, you should have a course done in a decent amount of time. Branching is easy to create and track. Included assets, such as the built in templates and characters help the user complete a professional looking course. UPDATE: It can now publish to MP4! YES!

What do you dislike?

Eventually, I would like to see a browser-based version of this tool, so, Chromebooks could be used to create eLearning courses. And a more affordable version for individuals working on contracts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get the latest version of Articulate Storyline, in the 360 package. It will allow you to share content in a library and also allow others to easily review your course.

This authoring tool allows me to create dynamic eLearning courses quickly but also allows me to create large, project managed courses with the same quality as some graphically designed and coded courses.

What Course Authoring solution do you use?

Articulate Storyline review by Eric L.
Eric L.

"Not perfect but still the best on the market for course design"

What do you like best?

The software is super easy to use, though it does have a slight learning curve. It's not too different from Powerpoint. My absolute favorite thing about it however is the content library. There's so much to choose from between high res photos, characters in different poses, and customizable illustrations. And it's all royalty free as long as you have the subscription.

What do you dislike?

It's not the easiest to get used to. It's like using Powerpoint but like a dumbed down and confused version of Powerpoint. For as much as you get with graphical content, Text editing capabilities are severely lacking. Simple text drop shadows or other word art capabilities are inexplicably missing, which is odd given how graphical the rest of the software is.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We really haven't come across any better software for course design, and they're constantly making updates to it so it will only get better as well.

My company is building a best practices course for our clients, so I can't really disclose much. The aim is for this to directly affect our customer engagement and profit-making though.

Articulate Storyline review by Alejandra A.
Alejandra A.

"Great for designing interactive learning resources"

What do you like best?

It has many options to help you create engaging interactions (triggers, states, layers). When you master this tool you can create amazing learning experiences for your learners.

What do you dislike?

If your working with Moodle you will face some challenges when register the progress of a course. It's something Articulate should improve, since Moodle is the most popular LMS and there are other tools that work smoothly with it. I was able to solve this issue just after spend a lot of time searching in forums and "cheating" the tool so the progress were registered correctly, but it should not work this way.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For most e-Learning developers this tool will meet their needs. But if you need a seamless integration with Moodle and a fully adaptive design, I'd be make to compare it with other tools.

I work designing e-Learning courses, some of them are fully developed using Articulate Storyline while in other cases, specific interactions are created with this tool (for instance, formative assessments in MOOC). Since Storyline has a perpetuate license, it's a great cost-effective option. If you also need stock of images, hundreds of templates and being more flexible with the users who need the license they have an option based on annual subscription (Articulate Rise) which is also a great option.

Articulate Storyline review by Daniel K.
Daniel K.

"The Best E-Learning Creation Tool on the Market"

What do you like best?

One of my all-time favourite features is being able to animate individual objects of a group, and even still being able to animate the group itself!

But more generally, all the features come together very well to form what I know for a fact is hands down the best tool to create online e-learning content in HTML5 or *gasp* flash... It provides so many options and customizations that it will be guaranteed to work for your business needs.

Compared to the likes of Adobe Captivate, which has been around much longer, Articulate Storyline is already years ahead of Adobe. I was forced to use Captivate for a few months before switching to Articulate, so I can tell you first hand how terrible it was to work with Captivate, and how terrible their support team was.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that this is a Windows only application. I strongly hope they bring it to macOS in the future, as this is where all the creatives live. I am forced to use this application in a VM on my Mac, and the performance is hindered as a result.

I dislike not being able to move objects with the cursors pixel-by-pixel. I should be able to move by 10 pixels if I hold shift. This is a fairly common standard when it comes to applications like these, and it's unfortunate that Articulate doesn't support this interaction. I am forced to bring up the size/positioning window every time I want something to be pixel-perfect aligned.

The alignment guides are not very snappy, and somewhat difficult/annoying to use.

The animations are transitions are limited/archaic.

Generally, I would recommend looking to Keynote for inspiration when it comes to interacting with objects on slides, as well as animations. Keynote is years ahead of any type of slide creation tool I've ever used, and it would be really nice to see more of these types of features built-in to Articulate in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are SOME (very few) features in Adobe Captivate that aren not available in Articulate. However, there are so many more features in Articulate that are not available in Captivate that make the switch very worthwhile. Not to mention the ease of use, better support, and vision for the future of Articulate that this company has.

We are converting all of our old e-learning courses from flash to HTML5. The major benefit that Articulate offers us is in creating rich content that still somehow manages to stay low on file size once exported.

Articulate Storyline review by Rebecca M.
Rebecca M.

"Robust eCourse Authoring Tool, Could Use Upgrade"

What do you like best?

With minimal training, I was able to grasp the basics of Storyline, enough to edit most aspects of the eCourses my company obtains from outside vendors. It is fairly intuitive for the most part, with a clean interface.

What do you dislike?

There are some issues I cannot fix in Storyline 2, for which I require an update to Storyline 360. This mostly has to do with being able to choose whether Flash or HTML takes precedence in the publish settings. Publishing can also be pretty slow, and large courses take up a lot of system resources and can slow down your machine considerably if you don't have a newer one.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend using Articulate 360 over Articulate Storyline 2 or any other version of Storyline. The more robust features of the 360 version seem worth it.

In addition to being a Digital Content Manager I am also the LMS Administrator for my company, so I needed to be able to make edits to our eCourses that we obtain from external vendors. I also upload the published eCourse files to our LMS. Having access to this software has enabled me to manage this content more easily without having to ask our eCourse vendors for assistance.

Articulate Storyline review by Administrator

"Robust Authoring Tool"

What do you like best?

I love all of the options that Storyline offers. You can basically create anything you want. The best part though is the support forum. every question is answered in there. It is such a supportive community. Their staff is amazing too and I have learned so much from the free webinars they offer. These community tools are invaluable.

What do you dislike?

We had a little bit of trouble with the SCORM package uploading into our LMS. Also, when browsers change the way they function you have to update your courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use their online learning forum and participate in the webinars. There is an archive of the webinars which are super helpful since you can pause and rewind.

We find this to be a great way to provide a blended learning environment in addition to full online training.

Articulate Storyline review by Keari E.
Keari E.

"One of the best tools for creating e-learning (SL360)"

What do you like best?

I like that you make a great looking e-learning in a minimal amount of time. I love that you can do quite a lot with motion paths and triggers. It's way faster to build a quality and highly interactive e-learning in Storyline than it is to code by hand.

What do you dislike?

That there's not else statement in the trigger conditions--makes more complex programming a lot harder. I also dislike that you can't use custom fonts for dynamic text. The program has lots of quirks and bugs that I find because I try to push the program to it's limits. Personally, I actually dislike the program because as someone who -can- code things by hand, creating e-learnings with Storyline is boring and tedious. It can take a lot more work to add more complex logic in Storyline than it would to just write a simple script. Sure you can add custom javascript and it execute it with triggers but you don't have full control over the Storyline elements with the custom javascript.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are willing to sacrifice some control for ease-of-use and fast development, Storyline may be a good choice for you.

Storyline lets us create great e-learnings for our clients in a relatively short amount of time. It's so easy that anyone can learn how to use it. It still takes the same amount of time to write and design an e-learning but development time is reduced.

Articulate Storyline review by Juliette B.
Juliette B.

"Best E-Learning For Designers"

What do you like best?

The interface mimics Microsoft Office, so it's familiar and easy to use. Programming is so simple to understand and to create functionality for your slides. Overall it just works, and can be implemented on a wide variety of LMS servers. It also looks modern and clean and can be easily adapted to the branding of your company. It's extremely user friendly for designers, developers, and learners.

What do you dislike?

There are a few minor things that can crop up, mostly pertaining to formatting and text, but overall the software doesn't have any glaring issues or major hangups. There are a few tricks to ensure reporting is correct, but once you work with the program for a while you understand how to get it to do what your need it to. Version 2 is a massive improvement over the original software, but clients are still wanting 2 instead of the latest version 3. There is also the new 360 which no clients are asking for, but may be looked into for the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This should be the industry standard when it comes to e-learning.

Hard to update and often underpowered flashed based and web-only courses are being replaced with the sleek and simple Storyline course. The reporting is what clients really need, to see that their learners are actually going through the course and scoring on quizzing. Clients want a fully branded interface, and this software can accommodate them with a very modern clean look.

Articulate Storyline review by Michelle L. W.
Michelle L. W.

"Feeling like a Superstar with Articulate Storyline"

What do you like best?

Articulate Storyline makes be look like a superstar to my clients. I am able to create interactive and engaging eLearning that the learners love! And clients love it to because it is so budget-friendly and the interactive learning helps meet or exceed performance objectives.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike. I love working with Storyline!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Articulate Storyline is the whole package! It contains everything you need to create interactive and engaging learning objects - well, except the instructional design knowledge - you need to bring that to the table. Storyline will help you do everything else! And the community of practice, Elearning Heroes, and Articulate support are worldclass!!

I'm solving the problem of creating interactive, engaging learning objects within ever-shrinking budgets.

Articulate Storyline review by Tanner S.
Tanner S.

"Seamless Drafting for eLearning Content"

What do you like best?

This tool makes creating eLearning software a total breeze! In just a few moments you can create content that can be shared online or through your LMS. It works almost as easily as Microsoft PowerPoint, with a lot of the functionality and formatting operating in the exact same way. The image placement and size editing tools are particularly useful, and the editing window can be left up across multiple slides to make changes extremely easy and time efficient. You can create Master slides that can be used again and again as part of a template to really save time.

What do you dislike?

This software is powerful, but there are some minor drawbacks that you will notice using the software regularly. I sometimes have to work with the States tool, this is a tool that creates different "states" of the same object depending on conditions, such as a rollover event, or clicking. This tool seems extremely tedious and slow and can make changing a large number of object or working on a large number of slides very difficult. There seems to be a minor delay between clicking the state to activate it and being able to work with it. It would be very useful if Articulate could possibly create a stage where the multiple states can all be viewed side by side and edited in a much more quick and uniform way.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Articulate Storyline is an excellent program and one of the most user-friendly eLearning technologies that I am aware of. You can go from installation to development to a usable course in a matter of moments.

We create eLearning content for our organization. This software has replaced some of our other flagship products for eLearning development in recent months because it offers us the ease and flexibility that other products, such as Flash, did not have. There is a very small learning curve yet we are still earning new tips and tricks every day.

Articulate Storyline review by Jessi Alia L.
Jessi Alia L.

"Great tool for novice eLearning developers"

What do you like best?

I like that Storyline's interface is familiar - it is similar to Microsoft PowerPoint so it is fairly easy to navigate. The built in functions, templates, etc. are useful if you don't need to develop anything custom.

What do you dislike?

There are limits to customization and functionality in Storyline. I work at a custom e learning firm and find Storyline to be a frustratingly limited tool at times. We rarely use the built in Storyline templates and features because the software limits what can be customized within those built in elements. For example, the built in menu functionality is great, unless you want to use a single slide set across multiple modes (menu headings). We ended up having to build our own menu in order to "fudge" the tracking across the three different modes we had built functionality for.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I do recommend Storyline for novice e learning developers, but not so much for custom e learning.

I work at a custom e learning firm. Clients are constantly requesting ability to edit courses in-house. Storyline is an easy-to-use tool that is also economical. We do have to set expectations for the client in that in order to keep the course editable for them, we advise building linear-flow courses and push for using built-in features.

Articulate Storyline review by Aaron B.
Aaron B.

"Pretty cool tutorial and eLearning development program"

What do you like best?

It's very similar in look and feel to PowerPoint, so the learning curve is relatively small.

What do you dislike?

Saving to anything other than a local drive can lock up your machine. But, saving these large files locally is not intuitive when working with a team (or for disaster recovery purposes).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They have a new version called 360, which I assume is cloud-based. I haven't tried that yet and figure that it's pretty solid. Their online community forum is super-helpful. The other users and moderators on there are pretty quick to respond and almost always give you the answer you need the very first time. :)

Custom eLearning tutorials and modules that can provide just-in-time learning and training.

Articulate Storyline review by Derek C.
Derek C.

"Have been developing with Articulate Storyline for 3 years."

What do you like best?

Storyline allows direct, visual linkage to multiple pages. You can easily see where each slide will take the user, removing a lot of the programming normally associated with multi-path lessons. I also really like the "Export for Translation" features, allowing you to easily convert your already developed course to multiple languages.

What do you dislike?

Working in Storyline is like trying to program with one arm tied behind your back. Although the trigger system has been decently fleshed out, you're extremely limited in standard programming functionality. "if" statements are only that. Need an else? Well, you're going to need two if's instead. On top of this, the program is extremely buggy when published to different platforms. Only half of the animations actually work in HTML5 so extensive testing is needed before development can occur.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for extremely basic interactions and animation, Storyline will work. You can output a course within minutes of opening the product. However, you'll never develop a "GREAT" course with this software.

We develop eLearning for Fortune 500 companies across the United States. The benefit of Storyline is its simplicity. A half-trained monkey could use it. Articulate took PowerPoint, slapped in some LMS integration and now anyone can build an eLearning course.

Articulate Storyline review by Anthony W.
Anthony W.

"Probably the best tool for a dying breed of eLearning design"

What do you like best?

If you like slide based content, Storyline is probably the best tool out there. Advanced users can create some stunning content and beginners can get started quickly. I don't use Storyline much but it's handy to have in my toolkit to edit third party content and quickly create MVP content.

What do you dislike?

Slide based designs don't work well on smartphones. Although the package produces HTML5 content it is not responsive so is best suited to desktops.

Rather like PowerPoint, it is far too easy for people to produce the same old tired styles (rounded corners, Next in the bottom right).

I use Storyline to quickly create MVP content and edit other people .story files. Because it's not responsive, I can't use it for many projects (45% of my learners are on smartphones)

Articulate Storyline review by Administrator in Automotive
Administrator in Automotive

"Interactive Creative Solution"

What do you like best?

Storyline provides the ability to make stagnant design content become interactive. It is multi-functional with different types of projects and/or training modules. You can make a living out of working with Storyline or just use it to accompany your daily job projects.

What do you dislike?

I don't "dislike" the product, if anything, you have to put a little work into getting to know Storyline. I would say that Storyline is not something you just open and start creating training masterpieces. You have to sit down and do a little homework to understand how it functions and how to make what you envision work in the long run.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to read the products FAQ's and How-To tutorials. They are beneficial and easy to understand when you are first learning how to use the product.

We use it in our career awareness program for members and some training aspects. It grabs the audiences attention and will hopefully make it a memorable take-away that is produced by our organization.

Articulate Storyline review by Victoria G.
Victoria G.

"Storyline 2"

What do you like best?

Each slide can be customized and replaced if need be. This makes editing eLearning much easier. I like the quiz features and the variety of built in questions. When eLearning is complete, the LMS can be automatically updated or an email sent to a specific account, and certificates can be printed. I like the customizable menu and player.

What do you dislike?

Music can not be played across all slides. Narrating is a hassle - must record in each individual slide. Fine tuning slides from video captures is very tedious. The slide layout pane does not always clearly identify the selected slide and isn’t very user friendly.

Training solutions - we create courses with confirmations of learning that can be sent out to all staff. Staff is spread out all over the state so it’s more efficient and very effective.

Articulate Storyline review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Great e-learning building tool"

What do you like best?

Articulate Storyline is extremely easy to use. Its user interface mimics that of Microsoft Power Point which a lot of people are familiar with, this allows you to do the basics pretty much instantly. It's compatibility with Power Point is also fantastic as al lot of projects are storyboarded in PowerPoint first before being produced in Storyline.

As a designer I find the imaging editing functions really useful, they allow me to instantly change the colour and transparency of an image rather than having to go into Photoshop and do it then re-need to stick to a company’s brand guidelines and their colour scheme.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately quite a few of Articulate Storylines functions do not work in HTML5, this means we cannot use some of the animations and functionality as they do not work on the Apple iPad. As iPads are one of the most popular tablets worldwide this is quite a large problem when creating mass market e-learning.

As a designer this can sometimes restrict some of the ideas we have for a project. On occasion I has also meant we have had to do extra work in a differ piece of software and add that in to get the desired effect.

As a business Articulate Storylines ease of use and PowerPoint compatibility are a huge bonus. For us it means projects can either be storyboarded directly into Storyline or done in PowerPoint then dropped into Storyline. Enabling anyone to pick up a project immediately if necessary. It also means that if urgent amendment’s need to be made to a course, someone with no prior knowledge can go straight in and visually recognise a lot of the tools and make basic alterations.

Articulate Storyline review by Kammy O.
Kammy O.

"Storyline is very easy to use"

What do you like best?

Storyline is like Powerpoint on steroids. You can get incredibly creative, without a lot of effort. We use it to create all of our in-house training. Cartoon people that you can animate, and pose is actually fun - it really is easy and looks like we outsourced to a graphic designer.

What do you dislike?

It takes a long time to download, and moving the license to new PC's every couple years is not easy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just go for it - you'll love what you can create.

Our training looks more polished, modern, and fun. It makes it easy for us to train our employees and they are more engaged in the training because it looks dynamic.

Articulate Storyline review by User in Computer & Network Security
User in Computer & Network Security

"Looks like it's the best Elearning authoring tool out there"

What do you like best?

The flexibility. If comparing to Adobe's Captivate, Storyline has more use case when creating Elearning. Product support and the community are also fantastic.

What do you dislike?

Although Storyline still has a lot of things it can improve on (there must be tons of feature requests by now), I don't like the fact that recently (360 at least) whenever they release an update, some things could break. And when you're dealing with hundreds of projects, republishing them using the fixed version is a pain. Wish they will implement batch publish.

Accessibility is still an issue especially now with Flash gone and Chrome is the defacto browser. Accessibility for quizzes is still broken (the instructions being read by reader for selecting a choice doesn't work)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to create beautiful eLearning courses, Storyline should be on top of your list of software to consider. It can be pricey though.

Create beautiful online training materials that's not your typical Poewrpoint presentation or demo video. There's a lot of interactivity that you can do when you use this software.

Articulate Storyline review by Nina M.
Nina M.

"So much you can do with this software!"

What do you like best?

I use this software every day and I love it's ability to create a presentation that will do basically anything you want it to do. While there aren't very many "plug and play" features, there's a lot you can make this software do with your own knowledge and skill.

What do you dislike?

I dislike it's usability. There's a lot of small tweaks I feel could be made to the software, as well as features that could be added to make workflow faster and easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great software for creating learning and training materials for users of every variety.

We are using this software to create interactive presentations that are engaging for students. We are using these presentations to replace videos and powerpoints that bore the students of today and don't effectively communicate the necessary information.

Articulate Storyline review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"The best e-learning authoring tool available"

What do you like best?

Articulate Storyline lets users create beautiful, interactive, engaging training without having to have a coding background. Its GUI is familiar to apps like Powerpoint which gives it a low barrier to entry to start creating.

What do you dislike?

The price for a license of storyline is pretty expensive, its over 1000 dollars for a license which is tough for freelancers to get into.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Learn the keyboard shortcuts. This makes creating training that much faster!

Creating great training for the sales and marketing organization.

Articulate Storyline review by Nick E.
Nick E.

"Top Software Company"

What do you like best?

Articulate creates products that solve problems we, the consumer, have. They don't push a "this is what you need" mentality on us. They find out what would make our jobs easier, and then they deliver. Don't we all wish every software company would do that?

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to complain about with this product. Maybe wishing it would be a little less expensive? But, you get what you pay for.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it out! Actually build a course/experience in it.

Storyline lets us get training to the field quickly. In a world where technology is changing at a fast pace, we need to be able to get learning content to our people as quickly as possible to stay ahead. With Storyline, we've created a host of solutions: soft-skills selling, CRM software training, scenarios on customer engagement, etc.

Articulate Storyline review by Administrator in E-Learning
Administrator in E-Learning

"I Absolutely Love/Hate Articulate Storyline!"

What do you like best?

There is really no other software for publishing e-learning that is as easy to use and has the best non-programmer customization as Articulate Storyline. I absolutely love what you can do with it and how it can be used in many, many ways.

What do you dislike?

I absolutely hate three things about Articulate Storyline. I hate the enormous cost. I hate the way they handle their customer support and the way they deal with their own product development. If the product didn't cost as much as it does, then these other issues would not be so terrible, but because we pay so much for it, there really should be excellent customer support and excellent product development.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need an e-learning tool, this is the best one even though it costs as much as it does. It is worth it. However, you need to be ready to understand a few things quickly. One thing you will learn is that they offer a discussion board and they have staff who are there to patrol and respond and help users, but it is not a help desk. When it comes to asking why something doesn't work, you will be told much of the time that it is working as designed but if it isn't quite right that you should submit a feature request and they don't do that for you as they should if they cared about the direction of the software. You should also know that there are many things about the product design that simply make no sense to anyone but the designers. They focus more on new features rather than fixing persistent problems that users continually complain about.

I use it for training people (most of the time it is for my clients who need to train their employees), I use it for marketing (to educate clients) and I also use it to develop websites and kiosks.

Articulate Storyline review by Administrator

"From License to Subscription, It is Hard to Continue Supporting this Product"

What do you like best?

I will say, though I do not like the product the e-Learning Community and user community support is phenomenal.

What do you dislike?

Where to begin? I dislike the license-based software because it takes at least 20 minutes to load and produces clunky, outdated online presentations. The idea behind it is innovative but in practice the software causes more problems than it's worth. I dislike that to be able to have working html-5 you now have to change from a 3-computer use license to a subscription.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are just starting out, know that Articulate is not going to produce beautiful content without a LOT of work. If you had the license, you know how clunky the interface can be, and it is hard to justify purchasing a subscription and having to pay each year for software that doesn't quite meet your user needs.

We were trying to use it for online higher ed lectures.

Articulate Storyline review by Administrator in Pharmaceuticals
Administrator in Pharmaceuticals

"Up your training game!"

What do you like best?

I love the way that Storyline makes training not only exciting but fun! Training in a regulated environment is mandatory and often complicated so I love that Storyline makes it possible to add interactions and quizzes to confirm comprehension!

What do you dislike?

There is a sharp learning curve when you start using the program but a quick look online at blogs dedicated to the software will help even newbies learn! There are also issues with connecting the learnings through AICC to your learning management system but I believe those are more on the LMS side as opposed to a Storyline issue. It can make it frustrating at times though regardless!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider sending new creators of content to training. It will help them get up to speed faster and with more confidence!

We utilize this software to ensure comprehension through quizzes peppered theoughout the elearning and to spice up otherwise dry mandatory learning! People actually like to learn with Storyline created trainings!

Articulate Storyline review by Andrew K.
Andrew K.

"Long time Articulate Storyline user"

What do you like best?

Articulate has probably the best user based help group of any tool I have ever used. If you run into a problem you will find the answer in their forums, and if its not there someone will give you the answer usually within an hour or less.

What do you dislike?

It has been superseded by a cloud based product which makes me think updates for Storyline may dry up in the future

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have used Articulate products for more than 10 years. The original PowerPoint plugin Presenter, Storyline and Storyline 2. I love all their products, but I do not like the new cloud based products that are "sold" on subscription basis.

eLearning course creation, both in-house and for clients

Articulate Storyline review by Chris H.
Chris H.

"Storyline 2 - A horror story in support"

What do you like best?

Storyline 2 has some nice features and for simple tasks it works well

What do you dislike?

We purchased Storyline 2 with much excitement. Unfortunately we encountered a bug that the product could not handle background music. Performance becomes very slow. A presentation with 20 slides it would take over 1 minute to load a slide and the music was not continuous. The music restarts at the beginning of every slide. We contacted support and they said: "Sorry that is a known issue. It can't be fixed." No workaround was suggested. Subsequently we asked for a refund and that was declined. In summary, Articulate did not care about our issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Training staff to understand the company program in learning and development, designed to help them exceed their KPIs

Articulate Storyline review by Gretchen W.
Gretchen W.

"Articulate Storyline 2 review"

What do you like best?

The editor is very user friendly. I love that the formatting menus mirror what you'd find in most MS programs like PPT and Word..this makes it way m ore intuitive and easy to work with.

What do you dislike?

The story view. I often get confused about how the "tree" is organized and how to break up into smaller bits, etc. The conditional formatting of triggers, commands is a bit complicated.

Employee and partner enablement

Articulate Storyline review by User

"Industry Standard for elearning"

What do you like best?

This tool is easy to begin using, but a bit of a ramp to get to the next level of use. The community forum is EXCELLENT, you can find answers to just about all of your questions there to give you good ideas on ways to use the tool or to help you figure out how to accomplish unique results.

What do you dislike?

The version i am using (2) lacks certain features I would expect it to have, such as not allowing you to wrap text in the scrolling window. This might have been corrected in later releases (which i don't use)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend this product for training and elearning development

We are creating and developing more innovative training solutions to replace current training, which uses PowerPoint.

Articulate Storyline review by Marley H.
Marley H.

"An exceptional authoring software"

What do you like best?

Articulate makes it easy to take materials developed for the classroom and turn them into high quality digital education. I can upload powerpoints and make them interactive in very little time. For quick turnaround, this is the best course authoring software available.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found much that I dislike about Articulate- occasionally, after uploading a Powerpoint, graphics and text will appear to have shifted.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They offer a 30 day free trial- I highly recommend trying before you buy.

I need to turn materials into digital education modules quickly. Articulate is intuitive and allows me to translate previously created materials into an interactive elearning format.

Articulate Storyline review by Brandon B.
Brandon B.

"A Dependable Solution for Developing Education"

What do you like best?

This software is very simple to use and will take a minimal amount of time to get started, but will take some time to master all the features. Base templates are provided with some assets to get you up and running very quickly. Multiple export features let you output to multiple LMS'.

What do you dislike?

Storyline has some limitations when it comes to customization of your education as well as templating and creating a beautiful theme. With patience and time, you can hack your way around almost anything in this program though.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Slow to role out updates and new products.

We have found a way of quickly creating online learning courses with great functionality that's engaging and fun. Our staff who take the training seem to enjoy the courses we create.

Articulate Storyline review by User

"Can I do that with Storyline? Yes, yes you can"

What do you like best?

So many options to customize eLearnings and videos. HUGE platform with templates, graphics and images to choose from. Great features like changing states of your images/buttons, etc. Functions like PowerPoint, but with so many more functionalities.

What do you dislike?

It does take a significant time investment to learn how to use all of the functionalities to get the most out of the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the free webinars offered by Articulate - this will help you get started.

creating videos and eLearning to train clients.

Articulate Storyline review by Axel M.
Axel M.

"Articulate Storyline 2 review"

What do you like best?

Articulate Storyline is an easy-to-use tool but very powerful. You can jump into the action and immediately you will be able to create your first online course.

But also you can create very enhanced online courses with triggers and variables.

The user community is very supportive. Real experts support you if you have any questions.

What do you dislike?

There is no Mac version yet for Storyline 2. So you have to run it via e.g. parallels.

Saving larger projects files needs a lot of time. If you have a project >500MB it can more that 2 minutes to complete the saving process.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it out, it is a very good tool - get started with browsing the community and then get some experience in the tool.

We are producing a broad variety of online courses and every course has to be unique. The special value in elearning we are pursuing: Interactivity

The possibility to work with variable-driven interactions gives us the benefit to produce unique interaction patterns.

Articulate Storyline review by Nancy W.
Nancy W.

"Articulate 360 and Storyline are changing the way we do business...."

What do you like best?

It is a very easy to use product and has so many built-in features. Our current process was not SCORM certified. This product will help us tremendously with becoming in line with the industry standard.

What do you dislike?

No dislikes at this point. It has met our expectations and beyond.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is so easy to use and we love the content library.

It is helping us build robust training courses

Articulate Storyline review by Cathy M.
Cathy M.

"Easy as pie and fun to use."

What do you like best?

I like the fact that this program allows you complete control of every aspect of your presentation. Matching sound to picture is extremely easy and adding to the graphics is a snap. Also, there are so many features available for improving your presentation, there will never be a "repeat" presentation.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that the program is not compatible with other similar products. I use this most often at work and we work with all 50 states plus federal agencies. In order for us to use this program, we had to offer to pay for a copy of this program for each of the agencies we work with in order for them to be able to use our resources. Also, the cost is a bit high.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a program that will easily combine all of your elements into one presentation, this is it. It is easy to use and can be fun to work with.

We use this program to develop nationwide training presentations. This product has allowed our office to be able to develop these presentations in house without having to outsource the work. This is very important for our organization as we are a non-profit. It is also a great tool because we are now able to spread training materials nationwide more cost effectively. The finished project is also easy to use which is a bonus for us as many of the people in our industry do not have much of a formal education. Many are laborers without a lot of computer experience either, so we are able to offer them a way to get in their training without a lot of complicated "click here for more information" buttons or please install a driver messages.

Articulate Storyline review by Diane H.
Diane H.

"Ease of Use"

What do you like best?

This is so easy to pick up and work with.

What do you dislike?

While you can open and work in it, the subtleties are lost without more training.

Being able to export text for translation and not having to rely on our overseas suppliers. I can update the files and make small changes myself the same day rather than waiting for a day or two to get it back.

Articulate Storyline review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Better and Better!"

What do you like best?

With the newest version released as part of the Articulate 360 suite, Articulate Storyline has become part of an efficient workflow for creating attractive, engaging digital course content. Collaboration is now possible through real-time commenting that can be seen by all users in the project. Though the built-in content library my be limited, there are some useful templates that come included. Overall, Storyline is years beyond any other digital course content creator available.

What do you dislike?

There are some design limitations from time to time, but these can usually be circumvented with a little extra effort.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest getting the newest version if possible. It may be more expensive, but the new features are well worth it.

The time and resources need to produce online learning activities and modules is significantly decreased and the projects display beautifully with little tweaking needed.

Articulate Storyline review by Blair P.
Blair P.

"What you need to create any learning"

What do you like best?

Storyline can handle anything you throw at it, from simple click and read linear learning, to complex, multi branching scenarios. And it does it easily with an interface that is intuitive and feels familiar. The built in states simplify what was once a complex task, and layers will become your new best friend as you build interactions in minutes.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that really limits storyline is your imagination. If you can think it, usually you can create it. That being said, one of my biggest gripes is when publishing to HTML5 and viewing on an iPad. It puts a great big Play button at the beginning of the course. Not pretty.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

To get the most out of Articulate Storyline join the Articulate E-Learning Heroes community. Plenty of resources and helpful tips, questions, and answers from the company and other users.

Articulate storyline has helped us in the following ways:

quicker development time

more complex interactions built

ability to create screen recordings from within the software, not having to use another piece of software to do this (also cuts down on licensing costs)

Articulate Storyline review by Ralf B.
Ralf B.

"No easier way to Advanced Interactivity "

What do you like best?

I like best the very intuitive user interface and the very logical way to create advanced interactions.

I have held about 80 courses in Articulate Storyline as a software trainer and so I get an immediate feedback from new users of this tool. In nearly every course I get the feedback that the users grasp how easily they can create advanced interactions (e.g. with conditions and variables). Due to the fact that Articulate’s user interface is quite similar to Microsoft Office PowerPoint they feel comfortable with the software in no time.

Another important advantage is the community. If you have any questions or problems you'll get answers by the community members quite soon. The Articulate community is the largest community in the e-learning market worldwide and offers also additional information on design, instructional design, main ideas of e-learning, best practices etc.

What do you dislike?

The missing of some important system variables like slidecount needs some more rework. Also there is no mp4 output which would allow to import non-interactive courses to video platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you use Articulate Storyline you can learn a lot from the community. Especially if you want to shorten your learning curve you get a lot of examples which helps to understand the triggers and their use.

My company creates mostly interactive training courses which should connect the user to the content and attract the user to watch content. Articulate Storyline allows us to produce advanced interactive content in a short timeframe.

Articulate Storyline review by Sylvia W.
Sylvia W.

"What an incredible asset!"

What do you like best?

There are a lot of "like best"s with this program. I love being able to import previously created content from Powerpoint. I love the simplicity of the interface. BUT, I think what I love the most is the Community. Someone is ALWAYS available including Articulate staff to help when I get stuck or can't find the right place to go for answers!

What do you dislike?

They do not have a MAC version yet and they do not have very good vector graphic capability yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely, give this a try for creating your training/learning needs! It just ticks so many of the must have buttons with ease of use being right at the top of the list. If you are a powerpoint user this will expedite and improve what you are doing!

I am solving the problem of not having enough staff to meet training requests! Biggest benefit so far is its simplicity and effective interface.

Articulate Storyline review by Lou B.
Lou B.

"Articulate Storyline: a great rapid eLearning tool"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, Easy to add quiz questions or interactions

What do you dislike?

Very little, although the ability to export as more options would make it easier to use for multiple solutions - for example an mp4 file to create videos of training conr

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Articulate line of products are a strong toolset for any ID or L&D team to consider.

Employee training - being able to take existing content and quickly create eLearning SCORM con

Articulate Storyline review by Consultant in Events Services
Consultant in Events Services

"New Articulate Storyline 360 is awesome as instructional design tool of choice"

What do you like best?

Migrating over to Storyline 360, I am is loving user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) especially the way it handles importing and managing PowerPoint content and the way all the screen formats just work! Tutorials right there in Help are excellent!

What do you dislike?

I really don't dislike anything about Storyline 360 so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do free trial and use their excellent tutorials.

Although most of my work has been with Adobe Captivate over a longer period of time, the timeline UI and UX is so similar, and tutorials so well executed that I am ramping up incredibly quick serving clients preferring Storyline work.

Articulate Storyline review by Tina T.
Tina T.

"Articulate Storyline"

What do you like best?

Interface and Program is very user friendly. Easy to navigate and understand. I would recommend this product due to ease of use and getting up to speed.

What do you dislike?

Even though we bought a license it keeps telling me my free trial has expired and I have to keep putting the serial number in. It would be nice if it were easier to export existing files rather than copying and pasting into each slide.

We need to be able to convert documents into SCORM files for our LMS System.

Articulate Storyline review by Meg B.
Meg B.

"Easy to use, create complex elearning"

What do you like best?

Easy to create complex interactions and branching. No need to learn any complex coding-type tools, just read the triggers in plain English.

What do you dislike?

There are a few quirky or missing things. There's no text-to-speech engine, so we are using a very odd combination of software & strange workflow to sort that out. There's no way to publish as a movie/video file, so some projects we're still completing in Captivate. Also we've found that recording audio directly into Storyline limits your options - if you later export that audio, you will get 1 long file, of the original recording, without any of the edits made within the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider an audio editing software, and potentially a text-to-speech engine, separately.

We've sped up our development timelines of more complex projects - or actually been able to create more complex projects within a fixed development timeline. We are a small group with a lot of responsibility, so any time we can save some time while still improving our deliverables, it's a win.

Articulate Storyline review by Tracy P.
Tracy P.

"Couldn't work without it"

What do you like best?

For me the best part was how easy it is for a new user to pick up and immediately be able to start creating online courses.

What do you dislike?

One thing I dislike is the lack of a "clear all variables" function. If you've added many in and then come to a point in the course where you want to reset them to default, that doesn't exist. A manual process get's it done, but that would be a nice addition.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Articulate has a 30 day trial. I recommend to new users that they download it and play with it for the 30 days before purchasing. I would also recommend looking around the eLearning Heroes Community via Articulate as it is an invaluable resource for learning the software and best practices from other users.

We use this software for designing all of our online training. The biggest benefit to Storyline line is that I can make the courses as interactive as I need them to be. They can be simple click and advance courses, but they can also become highly engaging and interactive branching scenarios. You're designs are only limited by imagination.

Articulate Storyline review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"User-Intuitive Software Makes eLearning Easy"

What do you like best?

If you're not already familiar with the software and still stuck playing around with PowerPoint, you can easily import your slides and work off of the same platform, making it easy to transition and quickly learn the software. Very user intuitive.

What do you dislike?

The transition from Storyline 1 to 2 has been difficult in the Quiz Question arena. The builders could have made things a lot simpler.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's far easier to use than Adobe Captivate or some of the other publishing tools out there, and Storyline support is AWESOME! Plus, the amount of people using the tool and the Articulate community is great! Storyline users post their work and help out other users on the website, which is a great added feature/bonus.

We solve educational problems. When huge corporations want to turn instructor-led training into web-based training, we generate eLearning courses using Storyline software. The benefits of the user intuitive software and the fact that anyone can easily use it has made it really beneficial to our cause.

Articulate Storyline review by Stuart R.
Stuart R.

"Storyline is a game changer... but needs more time in the game."

What do you like best?

Very robust features, combined with programming, makes this a very powerful tool for training development. Templates can get you up and running right away, but I like starting with a blank presentation. I like the power of triggers and variables; they enhance the interactivity and user experience.

What do you dislike?

Needs to allow multiple items on a timeline, similar to the way Adobe Premiere works. Having each items on it's own timeline results in a 'staircase' that's difficult to work with. Also, could use a Preview window, or mode, that shows exactly what the training looks like in real time.

Although the animated characters are fun and easy to use, I'd really like the ability to pose them manually (like being able to click on the arm and drag it to point directly to an object). Synchronized mouth movements to audio would also be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

While it's still relatively 'new' and could use more features, it's clear that the developers are actively improving the product. As it is, Storyline is a must-have product because it gets you going strong right out of the box. It's worth studying the more advanced features and utilize the forums as much as possible,

Building simulations and interactive modules really enhance the learner's experience. Articulate Presenter was alright, but the final result was limited and disappointing. Storyline adds a lot of flexibility, especially with triggers and layers.

Articulate Storyline review by Sarah V.
Sarah V.

"Great Software for Course Creation and Presentation Enhancement"

What do you like best?

User interface! The user interface in Articulate Storyline is much more intuitive than other course development software I've used.

What do you dislike?

So far, the only thing that has bothered me at all about Storyline has been the price! It's more expensive than Captivate, but it is an outstanding product. I think it's worth looking into for serious course developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Join the Articulate eLearning community. It's a great forum for Articulate software users as well as instructional designers using other course development software because there are so many active and intelligent members. I enjoy looking at the course challenges that are posted every week.

I'm part of a technical training unit, and I develop all of the training materials and elearning modules which cover current and new workflows within our system's Electronic Health Record system. Our company's primary course development software is Articulate Studio, which is used by HR for soft skills training development. However, I wanted the functionality similar to Adobe Captivate, while staying in the same family as our HR department for a consistent look and feel in our elearning modules. In the last year that I've been using Articulate Storyline for software demonstration and interactive modules, I've been very pleased.

Articulate Storyline review by Michael W.
Michael W.

"Articulate Storyline Review"

What do you like best?

States, triggers, and rapid development. The ease of use is great. The user interface is clean and easy to understand for anyone that uses PowerPoint (see dislikes for the cons of this layout). There is a lot of flexibility in design elements if you don't use a standard template. The mobile publishing option is fantastic and the ability for drag and drop interactions on a mobile device are stellar. The freeform questions for assessment add a level of complexity that is superb.

What do you dislike?

Limited template options, character sets available for purchase rather than included for the price of the software. The layout is fairly simplistic, which is good for rapid development, but advanced interactions requires programming (Javascript) or complex variable changes. The cost of Storyline is a bit on the high side coming in well above a subscription to Captivate. Additionally, upgrades require additional cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for an easy-to-use, out of the box solution for rapid elearning development, Storyline is for you.

Rapid elearning development - we can create engaging elearning materials at the pace of business. Using Storyline has increased engagement with learning and has provided an avenue to raise the bar in instructional design.

Learning about Articulate Storyline?

* We monitor all Articulate Storyline reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.