Altaro VM Backup

Altaro VM Backup

4.7

Altaro VM Backup (formerly known as Altaro Hyper-V Backup) is an easy to use backup software solution to back up and restore both Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines. Eliminate hassle and headaches with an easy-to-use interface, straightforward setup and a backup solution that gets the job done every time.

Work for Altaro VM Backup?

Learning about Altaro VM Backup?

Altaro VM Backup Reviews

Ask Altaro VM Backup a Question
Filter ReviewsClear All Filters
  • Ratings (1)
Ratings (1)
Showing 95 Altaro VM Backup reviews
Altaro VM Backup review by Dexter M.
Dexter M.

"Altaro VM Backup is simple and powerful"

What do you like best?

Altaro VM Backup is simple to use. It upgrades without and problems and has never failed me in actual and test Disaster Recoveries. It doesn't require much background services like SQL which many competitor backup software does. And the price is very affordable for my small business clients.

What do you dislike?

Nothing not to like. Altaro VM Backup is simple to use. So simple that the first time that I used it several years ago, I thought that it couldn't possibly be as effective as it proved. The trial had me sold. At least 5 years on and a few upgrades later, my opinion hasn't changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely great for small businesses. I have not used it in an Enterprise class scenario so cannot say. Works wonders in a situation with 4 to 5 Windows Hosts (2012 R2 and 2016) with around 6 VMs each. The tech support is very impressive the few times I have had to call on them. Very knowledgable. Testing VM recovery is a breeze. Great for peace of mind. Never failed me yet.

Microsoft Hyper-V VM Disaster Recovery and testing for my small business clients

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Altaro VM Backup
Altaro VM Backup review by Daniel R.
Daniel R.

"A must for HyperV backups!"

What do you like best?

The multiple backups options available. To be able to backup to remote out of office locations and local NAS is a must. Ability to restore very easily a whole system or just a few files.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything. Possibly if there were a third backup location option. I always like to have more than one backup type running just in case one fails, you have an alternate going.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using anything else, give Altaro a fair test. It is well worth the money and the only product I will use. There are too many great options available. Just plain works great.

I am able to backup to multiple locations, even offsite locations out of office. Email notifications. Now Replication options. Very stable.

What Server Backup solution do you use?

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"Asome, Great, easy to use !!"

What do you like best?

Easy to use a lets you know if there are any problems with backups.

What do you dislike?

Cant think of anything, i really like this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get It !!

very easy to use and set up and it lets you know if there are any missed backups. easy to see our customer backup status !

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"Altaro VM Backup is very professional application. It is the best for me."

What do you like best?

I would like to say that Altaro has very frendly panel to manage. It is very intuitive. I used a lot of appliaction to backup but the Altaro is very professional and still develops.

What do you dislike?

At the moment I do'nt have any negative arguments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Altaro is very professional , that's all :)

Officially I use this appliaciton for backup our of virtual machines.

Altaro VM Backup review by RAY C.
RAY C.

"Cost efficient and do the work"

What do you like best?

Easy to operate with intuitive interface. You can't find other tools so useful at this price.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to complain about. I am waiting they launch new function to backup physical server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download trial license to test, you may easily find it's right backup solution for your virtualization environment.

I actually had one host server crashed and the backup data by Altaro did save my life.

It successfully restored and up running in just couple 10 minutes.

Altaro VM Backup review by Dwayne L.
Dwayne L.

"Just solid"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use and the interface is logcially laid out.

What do you dislike?

It's not the prettiest UI but very functional.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Having built-in support right in the UI is great.

Just being able to do image-based backups of my virtual machines has been a great relief. It's something I don't need to worry about anymore.

Altaro VM Backup review by Rob B.
Rob B.

"One of the must haves on a VM system"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that it's saved my a**e several times since 2015 when I started using it! Previously my SMB customers would run with the built in MS backup solution that left me as IT Admin feeling a little vulnerable, but now I sleep better! The main features I love are the compression and duplication which means I can get more backup history on my existing storage. I also love the Offsite Server and we use this at multi-site customers over normal FTTC lines very well. This saves having to have an unreliable staff member swap over USB drives (which doesn't happen more often than not) and take offsite, and with the encryption we know it's safe. Lastly on the unlimited edition the brick level Exchange restore has also proved useful.

Oh, when I have used support they have been fairly well clued up on the product and have given great help! I have to note that they also have some very good (and updated) articles on HyperV usage etc online and often when just Googling a HyperV problem it will come up with the solution within an Altaro web article.

What do you dislike?

The fairly large prices increases since 2015, which I hope don't continue (inflation OK but the RRP of the Standard product went up 35%). The yearly maint. costs are good though, just that initial purchase can (nearly) be a deal breaker for the SMBs I deal with, on top of a new system.

One gripe I had was I needed to do a mailbox restore in v7 which wouldn't work and Altaro said it would only be fixed in v8 (which at the time was weeks away), which didn't help me there and then and I had to do it the long way via Exchange Recovery, which as we had paid for Unlimited for this very reason, was a little annoying.

Being a bit OCD I like to check my Encryption key but once set you cannot view again, and then at the back of my mind I keep thinking, did I set it right!

Don't get me wrong though, even with these little "dislikes" I really love this software, I definitely sleep better, as I said above.

Saving on version history storage with great compression and also doing offsite copies (private cloud) to take out the human factor. Being able to sandbox restore VMs for testing and update trials. Quickly recover brick level Exchange email.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"nice and impressive backup software"

What do you like best?

Altaro backup software has a high compressibility, additionally it is able to backup multiple clients at a time, and won't get your backup lost while the host is down.

What do you dislike?

1. the error or warning descriptions are not so clear that could be diagnose by administrator

2. new version upgrade can not be pushed and installed on line, download and manual installation

3. dash board can not be customized

Recommendations to others considering the product

high compressibility and high backup performance, easy to manage and check

it helps backup all virtual servers with one software and could recover the server by file level and package level, to reduce RTO.

Altaro VM Backup review by Jon H.
Jon H.

"Great product, could use physical server backup"

What do you like best?

The cloud console and ability to monitor all of our backup instances is great. Replication to an off-site location as well as locally is a key feature we are utilizing. The ability to boot a VM from a backup is also a nice feature.

What do you dislike?

Being able to use a few different online storage options, such as Amazon, Wasabi etc.. would be nice. Azure is working great though. The ability to backup physical servers and the VM Host itself would be a great feature for disaster recovery. To be able to backup the entire environment this way would be the last feature needed to supplant our other existing backup solutions.

Full restores of VMs have saved us on multiple occasions. Also the dashboard makes monitoring the backups much easier.

"Reliable product"

What do you like best?

Had to do a couple of restores without any problems

What do you dislike?

Some difficulties with retention policies when changing the destination backup device

Recover files or VMs

Altaro VM Backup review by Stephan S.
Stephan S.

"good and easy backup"

What do you like best?

altaro is easy to setup. after first setup it runs without problems for years.

restore is also easy and works very good.

the best: altaro has support, that works :-)

What do you dislike?

i would prefer a more lower price for altaro.

complete and easy backup for all hyper-v servers.

no more backup-sw needed.

Altaro VM Backup review by User

"Nice and Easy - The way it should be"

What do you like best?

The product was easy to install, configure and get my first backup under my belt. I get a notification email everyday that my backsups are done.I suggested this product to a friend who manages a number of small companies IT needs and he thanked me for turning him on to Altaro.

What do you dislike?

As of now, I have not found anything that I dislike about the program. It has been a mostly set it an forget it experience. There has been one warning that I can't seem to get cleared out.

Altaro is an important part of our Business Continuity plan. We depend on Alrato to easily backup and restore our VMs.

Altaro VM Backup review by Douglas L.
Douglas L.

"Altaro VM Backup v8 Review"

What do you like best?

The Altaro user interface is terrific, clean, uncluttered and everything is organized in a logic manner in which you would expect.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike, managing multiple Altaro instances on multiple servers requires a separate instance to be created in the dashboard, but that is minor

We are able to replicate near real time our production web / sql server vms across the country to our Altaro servers running at our disaster recovery sites. It works great and provides us peace of mind in our investment.

Altaro VM Backup review by John B.
John B.

"Altaro back up is the best VM and offsite back up solution"

What do you like best?

The tech support is easy and very helpful. You can set up and schedule VM back ups in minutes.

What do you dislike?

You need to upgrade licence to back up to azure.

One solution for multiple back up solutions in 1 easy to manage gui.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"Quality Product at a Quality Price"

What do you like best?

Fire and forget! I configure what I need it to do, and Altaro does the rest. The ability to encrypt the backups so easily is key as we are required by law to have everything encrypted. Restoration of a back up at the VM or file level is ridiculously simple.

What do you dislike?

There are always improvements that can be made with a product, but currently, Altaro does everything that I need it to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't want to worry about your backups, this is the product. Simple to configure and get going.

We are a non-profit, so cost is key. Altaro was able to give us what we needed, and we are very satisfied with it.

"it works reliably"

What do you like best?

It works reliably and informs about the processes.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't work properly with Exchange Server.

We use it to backup our virtual machines and replicate them.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"Extremely useful and reliable backup tool. Simple to use and great support team!"

What do you like best?

Altaro is a very simple yet powerful tool with great flexibility to match most small to mid-sized virtual environment needs.

The features we value the most are the continuous data protection, in-line deduplication, and boot from backup. Also, the backup health monitor ensures that no corrupted blocks are kept by flagging them to "self-heal" during the next backup job.

Plenty of retention policy options as well, and a very visual and easy to use dashborad round up a great and mature software you can rely your data on. Moreover, we always get super fast and very professional help from the support team.

What do you dislike?

We don't have a very complex infrastructure and Altaro meets all our needs. It works great for backing up or VMs but I would really love to be able to back up the host without any extra tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We are really satisfied with this product. We use it in a Hyper-V environment and I highly recommend it.

Hassle-free, bulletproof backups with minimal administration. Fast recovery options dramatically reduce downtime. Most common case scenario is the recovery of individual user files or folders which can be easily done. We alse needed to do a full recover of some virtual machines and the result was perfect, with no setbacks. The first time we had to do a full restore we contacted support to get help if necessary and they were of great help, guiding us during our first full recovery. A+ for the support team!

Altaro VM Backup review by Martin H.
Martin H.

"Best backup software aviabla"

What do you like best?

I like its speed, simplicity, compression ratio, user UI and other useful function. It saves my time.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, the product is nearly perfect. All working as desired. Everything is ok.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It easy to setup and use

I completely recovered our server from backup and sometimes I recover only some deleted files. This product backs everything easily and solved my problem with offsite copy.

Altaro VM Backup review by Steve C.
Steve C.

"Easy set-and-forget backups"

What do you like best?

It's easy to schedule the VM's for on and offsite backups, with reports being emailed to you to make it even easier to keep tabs on what's happening.

What do you dislike?

Although restores are very fast, navigating through the hierarchy to fine the file(s) you need can take longer than it should.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a free trial - try it out first.

VM's are backed up allowing for full VM restore, of file level restore. Even a single email can be recovered from exchange.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"Great, easy to use backup solution"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Very intuetive dashboard and extremely easy to get up and running.

What do you dislike?

Lack of detailed reporting. The reporting of completed backups etc along with detail from the dashboard could be far better.

Backup / DR. Huge storage savings and reliable backups.

Altaro VM Backup review by Ravi W.
Ravi W.

"Hassle free backup"

What do you like best?

easy of use. The interfaces are really nice

What do you dislike?

nothing specific but more reporting can be implemented

Backing up organizational data and VMs. Restore then where necessary.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"Altaro VM Backup at CII"

What do you like best?

The offsite secondary backup options help with disaster recovery, but the best thing about Altaro is the value and real dollar savings it brings over our previous VM backup solution.

What do you dislike?

Better centralized management across different companies and domains.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it then buy it.

Well, the real problem was increasing needs for more hardware which virtualization helped to solve, we then needed an affordable but still full-featured backup solution, that solution is Altaro.

Altaro VM Backup review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"Best virtualization backup software we have found."

What do you like best?

It's going to be a toss up between the simple administration of the software or the price. These two things combined make the best backup software we have tried.

What do you dislike?

Very, very seldom, the program will let shadow copies run rampant causing free space issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it shot. It's simple to use and easy to learn.

Altaro backup enable us to create fast and effective backups of our Hyper-V environments. The largest benefit is a cost effective, simple backup solution for Hyper-V that is simple enough to not spend multiple hours training techs how to use.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"We use Altaro for our Hyper-v cluster backup"

What do you like best?

Thes ease of setup. The pricing is very competitive. And the file level restore.

What do you dislike?

Just a couple of times we have had to engage supporters to help with licensing after upgrading. This has not happened in the last couple updates.

We find it a solid way to restore damaged VMs. And the occasional staff member that has misplaced or ruined a file.

Altaro VM Backup review by Tim P.
Tim P.

"Hyper-V Backup"

What do you like best?

Altaro Hyper-V backup is easy to use and implement.

What do you dislike?

The latest price increase and version differences has lead my clients to ask for other options.

We use Altaro for all our Hyper-V local backup deployments. We also use it for remote offsite backups.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator in Computer Networking
Administrator in Computer Networking

"Operations Manager"

What do you like best?

Besides the backup software, it gives you easy failed/successful emails to inform you of the backup status. Great when you have multiple clients so it easy to see at a glance. It flags the failed backups so that you can see at a glance why so you can take corrective measures

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike. The software does what it needs to do. The configuration is easy and not complicated.

we are ensuring that our clients backups are running nightly with Altaro software. With a quick check from an email we can see that their backups were successful both onsite and offsite.

Altaro VM Backup review by Jarret S.
Jarret S.

"Set it and forget it"

What do you like best?

I am by no means an IT guru but this software is easy to use and manage. Users will find it to be simple to operate and require the features needed to back up modern virtual machines.

What do you dislike?

There really is nothing to dislike. This software is easy to use and super reliable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy, affordable, and reliable. Just do it!

I have reliable backups of all of my virtual machines. This ensures that my business can keep operating no matter what happens.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"Great backup solution, easy deployment, great performance"

What do you like best?

Altaro Hyper-V Backup is a great solution to backup Virtual machines. Easy to deploy, great graphical interface, great support, and also stable performance. We use only Altaro software to back up our customers virtual servers.

What do you dislike?

Maybe Altaro could be moore responsive in support. Everything else i think is good.

We are solving backups in all of our company. We are using hyper v backup with offsite backup location. Backups are made fast also we are having no problem using restore.

Altaro VM Backup review by Stefan E.
Stefan E.

"Best Backup Product in Years"

What do you like best?

Easy to Setup, Easy to Master, Lightning Fast, fantastic GUI, fantastic Support, superb DeDuplication, perfect central management system

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike so far - Altaro is just fantastic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a try :) its fantastic.

We have migrated all our Customers from Acronis & veeam to Altaro.

We are using Altaro since VM-Backup v4 (Altaro Hyper-V Backup) and its gets even better with every update. We can recommend this solutions to everyone who wants a fantastic Backup & Recovey solutions with fair pricing and outstanding support!

Altaro VM Backup review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Excellent Product - Provided Huge Cost Savings!"

What do you like best?

The functionality is extremely slick, does a lot of the same functionality as its competitors, yet maintains a lower price point.

We previously looked at alternatives such as Veeam, but when weighing up the two, we realised that Altaro met our needs in every way, and was significantly cheaper.

What do you dislike?

Access to the cloud management is an extra cost.

Previously had a poor backup procedure and replaced it with Altaro. Since then, we have eased concerns knowing all our servers and data is backed up on-site and off-site.

Altaro VM Backup review by Tyler H.
Tyler H.

"Does everything I need and more"

What do you like best?

Altaro Backup does everything I need, and more, as the title implies!

What do you dislike?

It would be hard to find something I dislike about it, I have no complaints!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Backups used to be difficult to manage due to sheer quantity, however with Altaro's console I only need to manage them from 1 window

Altaro VM Backup review by Consultant in Computer Hardware
Consultant in Computer Hardware

"Best VM Backup Software"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and a very good pricing for msps

What do you dislike?

We have no troubles with the software, all good

Very good MSP Console

Altaro VM Backup review by Alex L.
Alex L.

"Altaro is the BEST backup product for MSP's"

What do you like best?

The product itself works perfectly. I've never only minor issues with it and when they've popped up I've been able to get them resolved quickly with the help of the support staff.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the software can not resume an interrupted off-site backup. If the off-site replication is interrupted, it needs to start from scratch.

I am protecting over 50 virtual machines for my client's - all critical to their businesses continued operations. I've realized significant cost savings versus Datto and it's considerably easier to use and manage over Veeam.

Altaro VM Backup review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Fantastic Value"

What do you like best?

The Altaro Cloud Management Console makes it easy for us to manage our clients’ backups on their behalf.

What do you dislike?

Reports are generally good, but some clients have said that they could be more in-depth

Recommendations to others considering the product

By for the most cost-effective backup solution on the market

Backup, Disaser Recovery and test restores are all automated. Makeing Altaro very easy to manage

Altaro VM Backup review by Erin S.
Erin S.

"Awesome backup software and easy to use"

What do you like best?

No hefty requirements to run the software.

The deduplication especially on the off site server is downright amazing. I have seen over 90% reductions for some vm's

Customer service and support is second to none and extremely responsive.

Keep up the good work Alfaro

What do you dislike?

I really can't think of anything at the moment. I don't really have any complaints. It just works

Recovery times are way down. Especially with off site server boot from backup. Even in the worst case scenario, I can have the customers servers up and running remotely in 5 minutes.

Altaro VM Backup review by Alex V.
Alex V.

"Great VM Backups software"

What do you like best?

The ease of use, and speedy recovery! The management interface is very useful

What do you dislike?

Lack of permissions for users. Some shouldn't be able to access everything

We are solving all of our backup and recovery, and also using it to transfer VM's to new hardware!

Altaro VM Backup review by Thomas S.
Thomas S.

"Best Backup System Ever"

What do you like best?

Very easy backup, easy monitoring, simple license management.

Deduplication and compression is one of the outstanding features - it saves up to 50% of disk space.

What do you dislike?

For updates it is sometimes necessary to uninstall previous version. That's a little bit annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Altaro is a very reliable backup system. I had to restore several servers not a single one failed to do so!

Hassle free and reliable backup

Altaro VM Backup review by Giacomo P.
Giacomo P.

"Simple, Quick, Reliable"

What do you like best?

Altaro VM Backup is really easy and quick to install. After installed, very user friendly interface and simple wizard guides you through the backup and restore process. In case of trouble, support is quickly available and help you in a few minutes.

What do you dislike?

A "wish to" is to have the Office 365 console integrated in the other. But I'm sure Altaro will done this.

Quick Backup and easy restore to Hyper-V

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"Altaro VM Backup - Our number 1 choice"

What do you like best?

Easy to Install, super fast to set up and simple to get to the reliable backup strategy you need for multiple onsite and offsite backups. We liked it so much we on-boarded all our clients to Altaro.

Great extremely responsive support if required and a continued forward thinking development of their products make Altaro our first choice. We highly recommend it.

What do you dislike?

Honestly - There is nothing to dislike. We have used several 'other' backup products and strategies and Altaro ticks all the boxes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go - you won't be disappointed

The only business problem we had to overcome was the commercial cost for the alternatives out there in the marketplace. Compared to the competition, the decision was really easy to make.

Altaro VM Backup review by Rob F.
Rob F.

"Comprehensive, simple and effective backup solution"

What do you like best?

We have been using Altaro VM Backup for a number of years now and have seen the product go from strength to strength. One of the best features is the simple approach that is taken with the software. From installation from first backup takes less than 15 minutes, no fuss, it just does the job and it does it well.

What do you dislike?

There really is nothing that I dislike about the product. I would like to have seen CDP introduced in the Standard version of the product but I understand why that was not the case.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When looking at Altaro VM Backup I would recommend that other should not look at Unlimited Plus as this gives the best value for money as it include Continuous Data Protection (CDP) and native Azure backup, which provides great value for money offsite storage

Altaro VM Backup really does tick all of the boxes for us with the introduction of CDP and native backup to Azure blob storage. The product delivers a fantastic set of features at a great price point for our clients.

Altaro VM Backup review by Severn D.
Severn D.

"Altaro - backup & recovery made easy!"

What do you like best?

The boot from backup restore functionality is invaluable - using this we can bring a failed server back to life within a minute or so, minimising downtime for the customer.

CBT allows us to continuously backup customer data where needed to ensure we meet strict RPO targets.

v8 has introduced boot from offsite backup, so we can now restore our customers services in our datacentre if they have disaster.

Backups are completed quickly, and the data is compressed considerably as to reduce network traffic (ideal for the offsite backups!).

What do you dislike?

I wish Altaro would include support backup physical servers, direct restoration of SQL databases and SharePoint farms. We currently have to use a competitors product for those areas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Altaro offers a great feature set, and keeps going from strength to strength.

With Altaro, we're able to monitor multiple installations easily. Saving time and money for both us and our clients.

Using Altaro VM to backup multiple customers Hyper-V and VMWare virtual machines; love the central management console which lets me see the state of backups across all of our customers in one go.

Altaro VM Backup review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent backup solution for basic VM backup and restore for SMB/SMB+"

What do you like best?

Very well documented, very GOOD Support!!, Backup and restore works perfectly, Easy setup, Easy use!

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try, and you will be covinced!

Efficient Backup Setup, Full control of your backups.

Altaro VM Backup review by Jonathan C.
Jonathan C.

"Great Product, Pricing, Support and Development Cycle."

What do you like best?

- Per Host licensing (Altaro does not mind how many CPU's you have in your server!)

- Very easy to use interface, fast installation and quick product setup.

- Altaro keep things simple for users and deals with complexity behind the interface for you (eg, no setup required for clusters, all automatically dealt with for you)

- Boot from backup gets you up and running in seconds!

- CDP (Continuous Data Protection) allows us to protect VM's as often as every 5min.

- VM Image backup but with granular file level/Exhcnage message level recovery

- Very lightweight Deduplication engine that is fast and efficient.

- Offsite backup destination support with WAN optimisation, compression and deduplication.

- Backup to Azure blob storage (although ended up using Altaros offsite backup server ourself for full control over our backups with seeding support, no need to upload the initial full backup)

- Website access to backup status, push products updates, reports..etc (CMC - Cloud Management Console).

- Very easy to use USB multi-disk offsite backup drive rotations

What do you dislike?

- Large offsite backups to USB drives can take some time to update, however, it was not an issue as it runs after the primary backup location completes by default and believe the added time is mainly due to a 'check/scan process'.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, they have a 30 day trial version which is fully unlocked...

- Protect our production VM's

- Offsite copies of all backups to help protect from theft, fire, flood..etc..

- Offline copies of backups to protect from Ransomware and Cryptoware.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator

"Very Good Experience from Altaro Hyper-V backup"

What do you like best?

I prefer Altaro than Veeam, easier to use and manage. More intuitive, Fast. Support by mail very very very good, answer under 12 hours! While Veeam Backup (the other solution I used) is more tedious. And I never managed to make a backup on external hard drive, I contacted the support (response after 5 days), answer: "impossible in this version" (which is already quite expensive), backup only locally, useless if the server crash. So I looked for another solution, I found Altaro and since then I only install it at my clients'. J'adore ce

What do you dislike?

I would like an interface in French even if the intreface in English is easy to use

Recommendations to others considering the product

For price and use, Altaro is better than Veeam. I tested both products and my choice quickly decided. Veeam is better. Support at Veeam is very difficult whereas with Altaro you have a response very quickly. And the use is more intuitive, Veeam is really complicated and the standard version only allows backup locally, useless if the server crash.

Backup on external hard drive or nas, fast and efficient (not included in the stranger version of veam). A bit difficult to use at the beginning (as all software for the first time) but the support is there and responds quickly to guide us. As for the restoration, it's very easy compared to Veeam, which is a gas plant and very difficult to understand. With Altaro you select the date whose seniority is important (I was able to go back to 6 months of backup on a hard disk of 2TB USB) and the restoration is done quickly and integrates directly into the Hyper-V taking soint of disable the network card to avoid IP confilts.

Altaro VM Backup review by Neil C.
Neil C.

"Easy to use cost effective VMware and Hyper- Backup"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use and set up, has lots of options for restoring and redundancy, with boot from backup option. Updates are easy, customer service is great. Its affordable and effective.

What do you dislike?

Takes a long time to restore can result in over an hour of down time, but for small business it is great. Boot from backup option can get you up and running while machine is restored

Recommendations to others considering the product

Is very cost effective method of managing your Virtual server backups in a small/medium sized business.

Adds redundancy easy live backups while machine are still running. Can automate or manually take backups. Sand box restore and backup health check allow me to monitor and test the stability and reliability of my backups. Error reporting is available with access to live chat to help resolve issues.

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"A great, easy tool use that I couldn't live without"

What do you like best?

The UI is very easy to navigate around, even without being an IT professional

Restore VMs quickly but also an option to just restore certain files, folders or an exchange mailbox

Good compression which allows us to have a longer retention policy

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if Altaro would backup the host as well so another backup solution isn't needed for this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The unlimited/unlimited plus is worth the upgrade if you have Exchange or would like very frequent backups such as backup hourly

With our old backup solution we use to have to keep monitoring the backups as they would often fail, requiring us to spend time fixing it for it to only fail the next day. We have had Altaro for just under a year and have felt it to be much more reliable than the other solutions we have tried. We had an issue once however their support helped us on the spot though their live chat feature in the Altaro console.

Altaro VM Backup review by Денис .
Денис .

"Truly hassle-free"

What do you like best?

Up and running in 5-10 minutes. No need to chase prerequisites, setup databases or anything: we just ran setup and in 5 minutes we got list of our VMware and Hyper-V virtual machines ready to be added to backup plan.

Product complies with land&expand approach flawlessly, saving you more space the more machines you back up :)

We have two offices in two cities, and now we can see what is happening with backups in both locations from one console, keeping track on every virtual machine and both internal and external backup storages we use.

That's a true value in a few clicks from where you are right now!

What do you dislike?

Only virtual machines are supported for backup - the world is still moving to a virtual/cloud and there will be years until it will be enough to backup only virtual machines.

It is not critical dislike though, because critical part of infrastructure (databases, web-servers, version control systems, mailservers, etc.) are already virtualized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it yourself - will not take much time, most likely you will love product from first clicks.

The main problem - is a risk of data loss. Altaro VM Backup closes that gap for us with guarantee in form of automatic copies verification/checking - it creates a straightforward trust in our relationship with software, we know for sure that in case of emergency, our virtual machines will return to service in no time.

Altaro VM Backup review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Reliable VM Backup solution"

What do you like best?

Backup & replication, Augmented Inline Deduplication

What do you dislike?

I cannot say that there is something i dislike

The main issue is the deduplication and the exchange item level restore

Altaro VM Backup review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Quick and easy and effortable"

What do you like best?

Altaro is incredibly easy to use and has a fair license policy.

What do you dislike?

Altaro backups virtual machines. It would be great to get this for physical machines, too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it, you will understand it completely within seconds.

The greatest benefit is the price in relation to the feature set.

Altaro VM Backup review by Consultant

"High performance backup solution with affordable price"

What do you like best?

The product has an intuitive interface easy to handle and high compression performance for an affordable price. The support is really excellent and fast!

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular except the lack of a physical backup feature.

Solid backup solution for virtual servers, quick to install (first backup in few minutes), with advanced control and a cloud management console that making life easy.

Learn more about Altaro VM Backup

Altaro VM Backup Videos

Learning about Altaro VM Backup?

* We monitor all Altaro VM Backup reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.