Adobe InDesign Reviews & Product Details

What do you like best?

- InDesign has always been reliable, intuitive and easy to use.

- It's a powerful program that makes it easy to layout and format large amounts of text as easily as possible

- Advanced search features make it easy to find and replace text and formatting

- New features are integrated well and don't slow down the performance.

- It integrates well with Illustrator and Photoshop

- It automatically saves backups Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

- It's only available as part of a Creative Suite subscription rather than a standalone product.

- Saving backwards-compatible files is messier than it needs to be

- Large graphic-heavy files can slow down the performance.

- Spell check is clunky

- The newest PC version (as of April 2020) has some glitches that aren't present in the Mac version Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're switching from Word or Publisher, InDesign will rock your world. You'll no longer get enraged by simple things like laying out text boxes, placing graphics or changing margins. Everything will stay right where you put it on the page. Your stress levels will go down and page layout will become almost zen.

There is a learning curve. There are good courses on Lynda.com, which you may be able to get for free with a library card. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've been using it since 2004. Before that I used QuarkXpress (is that even still around?) and PageMaker (InDesign's previous incarnation.) InDesign felt fresher than QuarkXpress and Adobe was quicker to modernize and add features. It was also a fraction of the price, so that made it possible to buy it for my freelance business.

As a student, before I could afford a real page layout program, I used Publisher. Basically everything about Publisher is awful and is solved by InDesign. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Adobe InDesign Overview

What is Adobe InDesign?

Adobe InDesign is a versatile desktop publishing application that gives you pixel- perfect control over design and typography.

Adobe InDesign Details

$11,171
@Adobe
26,296 employees on LinkedIn®
Description

Adobe (NASDAQ: ADBE) deals in digital media, digital marketing, and printing and publishing software with over 14,000 employees and $4.4 billion in revenue.

Answer a few questions to help the Adobe InDesign community
Have you used Adobe InDesign before?

Adobe InDesign Reviews

Showing 2,946 Adobe InDesign reviews
Showing 2,946 reviews
Already have Adobe InDesign?
Degree in graphic design
What do you like best?

This software is designed mainly for the creation of written and digital content, especially for blogs or magazine-type sites, where you can create graphics or bullet points of excellent quality as well as a good handling of typography, you can create all kinds of written content such as And like books, magazines, posters, brochures, or interactive digital content, the text of the contents can be accommodated so that they fit images in multiple ways, as well as color management on the pages, and even highlight or put to share for do group projects, also allows the realization of multiple paragraphs or headings and vary their size. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The program is perfect but I would like it to have more image design tools or even to modify the fonts Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This program works very well to publish and highlight content for projects focused on information or trying to reach people since it is where you need to have more visual impact, as in advertising campaigns, I recommend sharing the project to accelerate teamwork Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We work on content projects focused on health mainly so we make complements on our site with interactive images to share on social networks about health issues, as well as upload a digital magazine to an app, we also design images like posters about events that They are also focused on the health issue, we import images to the program, we cut them and then we choose a font to highlight the text and then we make the text fit the image we use, this program works very well for teamwork, where and finally we send these works to review while we can see and modify it until it is published on our networks Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love that as an editor I can work well with the designer on my team to produce the best possible report layout for our financial donors. My designer uses this software to create report layouts, and I use it to make text edits or move around components within the layouts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This may only be an issue on my particular computer, but I frequently lose toolbars within the software that I need in order to do my job well. Whether it's a change in the program's layout with each Adobe update or something that I'm unintentionally doing while in the program, I sometimes do have trouble locating different functions that I need to be able to access. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have need of being able to create layouts or designs for publications, this is a very helpful software to have. My company previously used a different software, and the levels of professionalism and beauty are exponentially better now using InDesign. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In the past, my team of writers and editors only had access to look at the final PDF exported from this program by our designer. But now that I have access to InDesign myself, I'm able to save time of back and forth with my designer because I can make text edits myself. I'm able to move and stretch text boxes, and it's nice to have the hands-on experience of being able to alter a design layout as needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Adobe InDesign
Interior Designer
What do you like best?

I like that the tools are all streamlined so that they are not only quick to access and use, but that they help you work quickly. The tools allow you to think big-picture and almost without thinking do all of the small stuff, like aligning, distributing, making sure text and colors are standard to your office document style, etc. I like the ease of using InDesign in conjunction with other Adobe products such as Photoshop and Illustrator. Regularly in the InDesign documents I produce, I am incorporating vector graphics from Illustrator and edited photos from Photoshop. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Really the only complaint I can think of is that it can be frustrating being someone who works in other Adobe software because the keyboard shortcuts are different across the programs. It would be really nice if they could match up, at least for the basic tools they share. I also wish that some of the tools from Photoshop could also be available in InDesign. Sometimes you have to do more graphic elements the long way in InDesign when it affects a whole page as opposed to individual images. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Because of the expense of InDesign, be sure you need it before you purchase. While it is a great program that offers many powerful tools, if you have no need for the powerful tools, I would recommend sticking with PowerPoint or something similar. If you are doing any kind of publishing, I do recommend InDesign, especially if you work in other Adobe programs already because they all work so nicely together. InDesign is good for bringing print documents to life that include elements you created/edited in both Photoshop and Illustrator. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

InDesign makes it easy to feel confident that all of the small details are taken care of. By using Character and Paragraph Styles, you're able to know that your text is formatted correctly across your document. With master pages, you're able to know that your pages are formatted correctly across your document. At the point of exporting or packaging a document, InDesign will prompt you for broken links, missing text, overset text, etc. which is really convenient. No matter how many times I've checked over my document, the check usually finds something. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Publishing
What do you like best?

This is a must have for publishing. I'm not even kidding you! I love the different page layouts that are possible. I can set up a typical book layout, or I can set up spreads that are more like a brochure. I can also set up multiple spreads with varying page sizes and page numbers. I also love the feature of making alternate layouts. BOOK so easy to do. It's so easy it is to integrate adobe cloud. All of my team members use it as well and are able to easily tap into the files that I am working on. I like that I can seamlessly place images in a document either by dragging and dropping from my folder, or import through the file tab. It's really awesome how much I can check the color separations right in the side pallet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When importing illustrator images from the cloud, there's a white background. But really there isn't a a whole lot that I don't really like about InDesign. It's literally a must have for publishing. The only downside of using InDesign I think is that you have to have a cloud subscription to use it. It would be so nice if a person from editorial could go in and make the needed text edits. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend setting up your workspace exactly how you want to begin with and saving it.You don't want to lose your flow because you don't know where your pen tool is! Another tip I would give it so make sure you check out the tutorials every now and again. They have some really cool stuff in there that you might not know existed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There are so many business problems that you could solve using InDesignAt my company, we have primarily used Adobe InDesign for book layouts of all of our student editions and teacher's guides. We also use it to set up posters for trade-shows. Another really important use we have for InDesign is to create all the print collateral needed for the Sales teams and Marketing teams. It's extremely handy to be able to work cross platforms (mac and pc). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Designer
What do you like best?

I love the amount of control you have when you work in Adobe Indesign. Out of all Adobe programs this is my absolute favorite because it easily allows you yo fine tune to perfection. It is the perfect program if you are working with a lot of text and need to fine tune a complicated layout. For a print designer it is an absolute dream to work with, because it has so many tools to help ensure the final print product is perfect saving a lot of time. I also love that it is so simple to import from other Adobe programs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

For people that are just starting out in Adobe Indesign, there is definitely somewhat of a learning curve which can be discouraging. There is a lot of tools and it isn't completely intuitive to use. I find this is the same thing with other Adobe programs as well. Once you get past the initial learning phase it is such an easy and efficient program to use when you need to create documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to learn how to take advantage of all the tools within the program. This can feel overwhelming, but once you get the hang of it you will love working with InDesign. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have realized how easy it is to make a multi-page document (book, magazine, etc). The tools make it easy to create a cohesive document where you can edit the small, but very important details. I have also started to take advantage of the pre-made layouts (business cards, brochures, etc) within InDesign that make it extremely fast to create certain documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Coordinator
What do you like best?

I like the sheer amount of control you can exert over Adobe inDesign (once you get a sense of the controls). While I’m still working to achieve mastery, the power of the tool is apparent. Built with easy review and approval tools, iterative design capabilities, and so much fine control over the appearance of the product, I know I can complete any publication design task in inDesign. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As I say in the title it’s a bit large and uses a huge amount of my systems resources. Even with a high quality MacBook Air, my computer sometimes grinds to a bit of a crawl when working with the Adobe creative cloud and inDesign in particular. On stronger machines this wouldn’t be an issue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to check out the tutorials and online videos. The basics aren’t hard but getting the hang of the detailed editing capabilities can be tricky. But keep at it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I’m not loving that my machine sometimes gets extremely hot while using inDesign (and forget about using multiple Adobe products at once), but that said, it makes my job frankly possible.

With covid requiring cuts, I had to step up and do full document and report creation in a way I had never had to before. Adobe inDesign makes the basic work easy, but has this huge power just beneath the surface. I do love using inDesign and doing so gives me confidence in what I create. I don’t want to sound negative - the challenge of a weak machine is very real, but the product works wonders. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

This tool is very comprehensive. There are so many ways to automate, share work and create many kinds of documents and books. I enjoy the ability to use styles to easily format the documents. I also like how easily it integrates with the other Adobe Creative Cloud applications. I think that it is helpful to have several of the applications as support for this app, but there is truly so much you can do with it on its own. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The cost , but it is a very great software. I also don't like that there are very few places to get 'hands-on' training for this application. Many community colleges offer continuing education style courses for Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and other Adobe applications, but it seems the only way to get educated on InDesign is from online tutorials or expensive workshops in faraway cities. I think that there needs to be more localized training for people to learn how to make the most of this expensive yet expansive tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to create brand documents and books and share assets with co-workers. I have found reduced frustration in creating print ready professional looking documents for commercial printers and online sharing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Designer
What do you like best?

I like it because it is good and works perfectly, it has a great interface that is easy to use and besides being a multi-platform that works in different types of operative systems, to create editorial projects, design, form different types of images, it is perfect in all aspects and always guarantees a good job. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have problems due to slowness since it requires a computer with more power to work well, it should be more optimized since sometimes it tends to consume a lot of RAM, it is the only thing that I could call that it is a problem, I hope they solve it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are learning or practicing graphic design, this tool could be very useful for you, if you are considering it you should try it immediately, for me it is one of the best and also offers a free trial, I recommend it, don't wait any longer, I assure you you will not be disappointed, Adobe InDesign is your best option. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have solved all kinds of problems, over the years I have been a graphic designer, this tool has been very useful to me, I can edit projects, create brochures and images, posters and advertisements, it has been a great experience, a very comfortable tool and friendly that is put to much use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing & Account Manager
What do you like best?

InDesign is a Designers dream for layout work. It is extremely beneficial for those who work with a lot of text or those with a multi page document such as a book or magazine. It seamlessly works with the other adobe products such as photoshop and Illustrator to import imagery that may be needed. I've never had an issue with toggling between different Adobe products and it always save perfectly for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a few glitches here and there with some of the new tools but it is still a great product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is a lot that can be done unsing InDesign. Make sure to do your research. Watch tutorials and videos to make sure you are using it to its full potential Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have been using Adobe InDesign for years. It has always helped us with larger layouts for marketing materials we create. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Specialist
What do you like best?

The program is fully integrated with Illustrator and Photoshop, providing a unified design environment that won't interrupt your creative process when moving from one program to another. Another plus is reading PDF documents. To facilitate the transition to InDesign, it includes support for publications collected in QuarkXPress and PageMaker. The program - the only one of the layout packages - in the standard delivery allows the publication to be scaled not proportionally, but separately horizontally and vertically (which is necessary for flexographic printing). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Due to its modularity and nonoptimal work with large blocks of text, InDesign can be impossible to run on low end devices . The recommended characteristics are clearly designed only for the initial level of work with the program, for real work twice as much computer power is needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

So far the best solution I have seen when it comes to designing magazines or newspapers. But make sure that your device’s system meets the requirements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We’re publishing a small magazine as an extra part of our marketing campaign and Indesign helps me take care of this issue quickly and efficiently. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This software is used to edit printed and digital content, such as magazines, books, or magazine-type websites, it has tools for creating this type of content such as layout or paging tables, as well as text content in Multiple formats, such as headings, headlines or tables of contents, it also has a wide content of format templates to quickly start on a predefined style, it also has image editing for backgrounds or informative content, it also has a wide content of typography or adjustment of texts in alignment with the text, it also has many color formats to highlight the pages, text or small formats which makes it specialize in the edition of periodical books or magazines. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had more effects for ad formats Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This program is recommended if you plan to create a newspaper or a digital magazine, where we can organize many types of content depending on the formats, with tools that will facilitate the editing of projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I work in a newspaper where all the time we handle content both on a website and for a magazine, where we need a program that quickly adapts the information to a magazine-type format, where we import the articles and images and quickly draw the tables of contents and we arrange the images in different ways so that it stands out in what we are doing, both in the elaboration of the designs and in the finishes, with the programs we make a lot of content that is excellent and has saved us a lot of time, since we do not have to look for fonts or take time to make the tables of contents, it also allows us to make headings or covers quickly while preserving an editing style in our newspaper Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bird-brain
Design
What do you like best?

InDesign is great for laying out designs for print and getting to the nitty-gritty of printing, like sorting out colour balances and making sure the final item is ready for print. There are many, many features that I haven't really explored but make it a comprehensive programme for publishing. You can very easily import from other Adobe products too - so you can build something up with PSD files, and then add graphics created in Illustrator just using cut n paste. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As someone who uses Photoshop and Illustrator a lot I get frustrated that InDesign doesn't work in quite the same way, and that the few clicks I'd normally use don't work. For instance, if I want to apply an effect in the other apps I will do so then copy effect to new objects. InDesign wants to me to drag and click onto every individual element and this is very time-consuming and annoying. Also, I appreciate it is print, but some of the effects don't work in the same way so if you're trying to recreate a draft that a client has drawn up their PC it can take some messing around. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's great for other users of Adobe products who are looking to do print work, but you must take time to familiarise yourself with the layout and what it can do. There are some powerful tools there but also some differences so as tempting as it is to dive right in, it's good to have a good look first. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I need to sent professional print jobs, InDesign is the app I need. Just recently I had too much blue in my designs that would have come out purple. With InDesign I was able to adjust the balance so it looked the same and would print exactly how I realised.

An obvious benefit is the ability to package up the whole design so that layout, fonts, links, and more are sent to the printers and you won't miss anything. It might take a while but works out better in the end as there's less for the printers to do.

Because the tools are mostly the same or very similar to other Adobe products, it's easy to get a handle on the app and get the job done. This can save time and makes life easier, although it does get frustrating when there are differences. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communications Specialist
Environmental Services
What do you like best?

Adobe InDesign is an industry-leading design program for a reason. It has the capability to get the job done for projects of all shapes and sizes. I love the versatility and flexibility that InDesign offers and it is my go-to software for the majority of the projects that I tackle. The variety of features and nice user interface make it an enjoyable program to work with. I love that I am always learning some new feature or ability of InDesign, and the online community is great when it comes to answering questions, providing insight, and just generally being supportive of projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Like many Adobe programs, InDesign is not super intuitive. I found it really helpful to take a couple of free online classes and watched (I still do when I don't know the answer to a question) to get me off the ground. Once you learn the features though, it's like learning a second language and you are off to the races! Beyond that, there is not much to dislike about the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest taking an online class and/or watching free YouTube videos if you are first getting started with InDesign. The user interface is great, however, the program itself and all the functions are not super intuitive so it can feel overwhelming at times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

InDesign is my go-to program for the majority of the projects that I tackle. I am able to use it for posters, newsletters, flyers, proposals, social media designs, advertisements, and some web design. If you can think it, InDesign can probably do it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ability to connect to multiple files, and automatically sync when those are updated, keeps everything up-to-date. Kinda like a Project Manager, it's great at organizing my large design projects into workable sections. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

For a program built on linking files, I wish it was able to locate my files better. Even moving them one folder over, it seems I'm constantly linking everything manually. I would understand if links break when files are renamed, but for large projects with hundreds of source files, it's just a nuisance. I suppose it would be a memory hog to be constantly scanning my device, so I live with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend using Adobe Indesign for page layout only, don't get too fancy and try to start a project with it. It's primarily for text-heavy documents, like resumes and book publishing. Learn Photoshop and Illustrator first, to learn the palettes and tools, and you'll be fine learning InDesign. Also, it would help to learn the video editing software Adobe Premiere, as it uses links to source files much like InDesign does. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Adobe InDesign to present mockup decks to clients. The art constantly goes through multiple revisions, but InDesign keeps the final deck looking the same. I've recently realized InDesign can also read inside my linked Photoshop or Illustrator files, where I sometimes put design variations on multiple layers. Then I simply make several InDesign pages and on each page I can present a different design variation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

An absolutely essential tool for any graphic designer to have in their tool belt. Useful for creating print media and designing product packaging. If you have ever used Illustrator or Photoshop, you will likely not have too hard of a time picking it up, and like other Adobe products, you won't have a hard time finding information online to answer any questions you could have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Like most Adobe products, it has a little bit of a learning curve if you've never used it before. Some of the tools that they have in InDesign and other programs are just different enough to be a little confusing. And of course, Adobe products are expensive to try especially when we have so many less expensive alternatives that aren't rolled out in a subscription service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Before you decide that InDesign is the only viable program for creating carefully formatted documents, make sure to research your options. There are many programs that are not Adobe programs that are just are useable, though they might not have the same online community to reach out to. If you've only ever used Illustrator because technically you can achieve the same things in Illustrator- give InDesign a try! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Adobe InDesign is the program we use to create all of our print media and much of our social media content. We can easily share InDesign files so everyone in the company who regularly uses InDesign can make changes to documents. I used Illustrator exclusively for years until I took a class where I learned how to use InDesign, and I was amazed how quickly I was able to create professional, attractive, well-laid-out documents. It is one of the programs that helped me realize that graphic design was what I wanted to do with my career. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technology Administrator
What do you like best?

InDesign keeps things in line with the other products in the Adobe Suite. The interface is pretty familiar. As with any Adobe product there is a learning curve, but I feel InDesign is easier to pick up in that it is more focused on copy and content layout, not so much on content creation like Photoshop or Illustrator. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While I don't use InDesign as much as I used to, I never really felt there was anything missing or things I didn't like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Adobe is the industry standard. Even if you decide to use other software, you really should know how to use Adobe software too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

InDesign is best for layout, for me it is with projects like flyers/sell sheets, catalogs, and brochures. While Photoshop and Illustrator can handle these types of projects, InDesign manages them better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Creative Designer
What do you like best?

Once you use InDesign, you will not be able to use Word again. InDesign gives you the freedom to design, style and move your text the easiest way possible. You can add images and design catalogs, brochures, flyers. Anything that deals with more than an paragraph in text should be made in Indesign. Also, this program is most ideal if you are dealign with print designs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This program just forces you to be organized with your links. Like so many of the Adobe programs, if you move a link it will be disconnected from your design. The files are huge! If you work on a big project the file size can really grow since you are also dealign with images. The less images the smaller the file size. You don't do image editing, though you can open images to edit in Photoshop, save and then it will be replaced in your InDesign document. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Working with text heavy designs, is a lot less painful in InDesign. You can easy make templates and master page design, libraries and other elements to keep for repeated use. I've made a 200-300 page course catalog in this program and it worked out great! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.