Adobe Animate (formerly flash) Reviews & Product Details

Founder
Computer Games

"My Review of Adobe Animate (formerly Flash)"

What do you like best?

- Easy to learn

- User-friendly UI, highly customizable Workspace (layout)

- Lots of export and import format available

- Meets our needs for a Decent 2D animation software

What do you dislike?

- A little big lag on some low-end computers

- Not responsive HTML5 Export

- The Camera feature needs to be improved

- Needs a Proper Documentation for ActionScript 3!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

- Consider your needs, if you need a decent 2D animation software, then Adobe Animate is the right option! because the 3d feature in this software isn't that good.

The main issue that we are trying to solve with Adobe Animate is to create animations for our game, and some quick 2d sprite design.

Besides that, we also using Adobe Animate to create Trailer video for our game.

What is Adobe Animate (formerly flash)?

Official Customer Support account for Adobe

Adobe Animate (formerly flash) Profile Details

Adobe Animate (formerly flash) Profile Details

Adobe
Description
Adobe (NASDAQ: ADBE) deals in digital media, digital marketing, and printing and publishing software with over 14,000 employees and $4.4 billion in revenue.
1982
Total Revenue (USD mm)
San Jose, CA
Phone
+1 (888) 649-2990
Ownership
NASDAQ: ADBE
@Adobe

Companies Using Adobe Animate (formerly flash)

Microsoft

1-48 of 48 total Adobe Animate (formerly flash) reviews

Adobe Animate (formerly flash) Reviews

1-48 of 48 total Adobe Animate (formerly flash) reviews
Digital Media Producer

"A web design work space I'm comfortable using"

What do you like best?

Adobe Animate has many of the same user-friendly features and interface elements that it has had prior to being compatible with HTML5. I can work with the familiar ActionScript coding language I'm used to and be able to convert my files to JavaScript and HTML5 in a matter of minutes. I enjoy using the Adobe Animate work space, which I feel is more intuitive and visual than typical programming work spaces.

What do you dislike?

Adobe has always seemed to have a push and pull relationship with the general web browser development community. The Adobe Animate platform in particular doesn't seem to be the most natural fit for many web browsers. Many files often require conversions in order to work properly with top web browsers.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a hard time working in pure coding environments or development platforms that aren't as visual as they can be, I would look into Adobe Animate to enhance and improve your web development techniques. You may at least be able to develop backup programming methods if you run into a jam.

I can work in a programming environment that is visual and similar to video editing interfaces that I'm more comfortable using. The design and coding process, to me, is more intuitive and easy to diagnose issue and plan out design and functionality workflows. Adobe Animate allows me to code in ActionScript, which is a language I'm more comfortable using than JavaScript, and still be compatible through conversions for standard web browser use.

"Absolutely Superb"

What do you like best?

I used to be an adobe animate user ever since its called adobe flash, its mainly only the name changed with the functions remains almost the same and with a few new added features. I mainly use Adobe animate for using web animations and character animations for videos. I always prefer animate over adobe after effects CC because of the frame by frame animation option, which gives you much more control and animation options. the workflow of Adobe products is the main reason why I chose the product over other animation software, you can easily draw vector articles or digital arts in photoshop and bring it to adobe animate for rigging and animation which is a great advantage. the interface is similar to other Adobe products so its comparatively easy to learn the software. the drawing tools are really good in the software and work well with Wacom graphics tablets. you can also easily backup your work to adobe cloud which is awesome.

What do you dislike?

i had several issues with pressure sensitivity when I'm using the Wacom tablet to draw. the software is really costly so that's one of the downsides.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Adobe animate is incredible animation software, one of the best, the cost of the software is a little high so you can take their trial and go for it if you like it.

Adobe animate is an animation software. it comes with the adobe creative cloud suite which is really awesome cause it works smoothly with other Adobe products which make your work so much easier.

Co-Founder
(Myself Only)

"A great way to make animated short films/videos"

What do you like best?

The new CC version is an upgrade from after effects and it's former version (flash). The new version helped us do a lot more in a more streamlined way that included animations with vector graphics and less of a need to switch between applications like AE and PS. It can also work with bitmap as well as vector graphics.

These are the features we like the most in Animate:

1. Intelligent editing of animation handles

2. More ways to setup transition between shots

3. Smoother playback of animated scenes (in the CC version)

4. Tons of different motion presets for new users

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike as the new CC ver is truly an upgrade from flash

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We do recommend moving on from flash as that's quite outdated and provides a lot less to work with

We use this in conjunction with after effects to make short films about our products and it's design process through 2D animation.

Administración de Aduanas

"Excellent software to start in the world of animation!"

What do you like best?

Although I have been using it for a short time, it is a software that has made the creation of animated videos and I enjoy it. It is not necessary that the creativity is your own, you can simply adopt the predetermined formats and in the same way your production will be impressive. Little by little I have been advancing on this subject and I really love it. Adobe Animate has achieved that I like it.

What do you dislike?

I do not have years using this software and I still feel that I need to exploit it, well, I have not used all of its tools. However, with the creations I've made, the only drawback I've noticed is that sometimes I have trouble importing sounds. But, the rest, everything went very well. Excellent for beginners like me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If the world of animation and innovation draws your attention, it is in the right place. 100% recommended.

I made animations and interactive content for the web and also introduced my colleagues. It has also helped me present innovative projects to my bosses.

Claims Assistant

"Used For Legacy Signage - Another of my aspirations - Works Great"

What do you like best?

I like that I can use Adobe Animate to make animations for our LED sign at our office.

What do you dislike?

It is really difficult to get used to the software, and I still have to read my tutorial book to figure out how to do some of the animations.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a LED digital sign that needs updating, with the really old display software, Adobe Animate will help you.

We have a large digital LED sign (like a billboard) outside our head office, which was not updated for many years. I was able to use Adobe Animate to make a new animation for it, which improved the company image and also fulfilled one of the ambitions I had of being an animator.

Coordinator

"excellent software to make short animations in 2 dimensions"

What do you like best?

the vectorization tools module is great and the layering system is very intuitive, it has a great variety of effects to render interactive menus in .exe files, the module for importing files supports a wide variety of formats and the graphic quality is excellent

What do you dislike?

it is very complex to incorporate audio to the animations, it is necessary to do a lot of steps to achieve an animation, it is necessary that in future versions many of these steps are simplified to achieve effects with professional quality

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend it, it is a useful tool in web works, to elaborate academic presentations or in the work environment, if you learn its basic functions you can give a professional touch to your presentations

I have made a menu for an interative disk in order to compile information in the field of electoral geography, in addition to making short animations for presentations in the field of work and academics

Brand Manager

"Fun Software!"

What do you like best?

Adobe Animate is a very fun software to use if you know how to use it. You can use the software to make a real animate if you want. You can even use code in there to make your design stunning. You can also easily export it to the platform you want. Also, you do not need Photoshop and you can make graphics inside this software, which is very handy.

What do you dislike?

When you export your file, it can take a very long time. You will need to be very patient. Inserting motions and code is kind of confusing when I first used it, but over time it became ok. Like many other Adobe products, it can be pricey depend on which package you choose. Find a student if you can and ask them to buy the product for you to get the student price.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

1 You might find it confused when first using it, But it will come easier once you know the functions and all.

2 Pricey software. Use the free trial first to see if you like it.

3 Approach to online chat if you have any billing issue.

4 Heavy load functions might slow down your computer.

5 Can take long time to export the file.

I used Adobe Animate to make gif motions and so on. I found it better to use than simple software like powerpoint (yes, you can make animate with powerpoint) when making motions project.

Freelance Graphic Designer

"Absolutely the worst"

What do you like best?

It has a red icon, which looks nice in the dock next to the other CC apps if you don't mind burning out the red sub pixels in that tiny swatch of your screen faster than the rest.

What do you dislike?

The application is nearly unusable. Freezes or unexpectedly quits frequently and with little or no provocation. Importing anything to the stage or library can cause an infinite loop to be triggered with the lovely beach ball of death. Autosaves frequently disappear permanently or do not trigger. Using the scroll wheel causes the stage to move or zoom so far and fast the only way to find it again is to press Cmd+0. The interface is fundamentally still the same garbage as when Macromedia made it, just with a light dusting of one of Adobe's 12 different user interface designs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

God stays in heaven because He too fears what He has created. And it created Adobe Animate.

I was trying to animate a music video, but it turns out it's easier to just reinvent the entire animation industry. The only benefit was that I realized I was grateful Steve Jobs had the foresight to banish Flash from the iPhone.

Looking for creative opportunities to tell stories through animation and video
Media Production

"Adobe Animate For Hobbyists & Professional Animators"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Adobe Animate CC is that it allows an artist, illustrator, designer, animator and/or a developer express him or herself in any way possible. The application is a blank canvas limited only by your imagination.

What do you dislike?

I really can't say I dislike anything. No software is perfect and Animate has some flaws here and there. One such flaw is the way it handles Shape Tweening - the process of applying animation interpolation between keyframes for vector shapes. Often times the shape tween creates unexpected and undesirable results. But there are always work-arounds and getting the end results to work within Animate.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Adobe Animate is constantly improving - maybe more so now than it has over its entire lifespan! I've always preached that anything you can draw can be animated - no matter how simple or complex. Animate allows you, at any level of skill, to create motion and bring your artwork to life.

Animate allows me, as a visual story teller, to convey what a business is all about. As a result of being able to tell a visual story in a clear and concise manner, our business is better suited to attract clients.

Graphics Intern
Health, Wellness and Fitness

"A High Ceiling if You Can Find the Floor"

What do you like best?

With the potential for so many moving (literally) parts, features like the asset Library and nested sequences are very appreciated. It's great to have the ability to edit an item in the library and have it change globally, or to separate complex sequences into top-level clips so one can more easily create transitions between shots or scenes. Plus it's all vector, so assets can scale up and down without a hitch. Options to display past and future frames in the timeline, in opacity or outline, are also a great aid to the animation process.

What do you dislike?

With so much depth, it can definitely be a challenge to both learn and remember what's possible and how to achieve it. While illustrating with the Pen tool is possible a/la Adobe Illustrator, it's not as fleshed out as it is within Illustrator itself and outputs a little differently given how the program manages strokes, shapes and fills.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As the mainstream animation software it's fairly simple to find support, information or tutorials.

I've used Animate/Flash to compose animated loops for eventual export to Photoshop, which can output GIFs with better results. This system allows the user to create smooth web-ready animations for banners and the like, excellent for digital advertising or adding that personal touch to a digital logo or avatar.

Marketing Assistant

"Great for beginners and the kore advanced"

What do you like best?

Adobe animate cc is great for those just learning to animate and want to start off at the industry standard, and also for those already into animation and want to use the best software out there.

What do you dislike?

It can be very intimidating at first as it looks and behaves nothing like other adobe products so it was very difficult at first but now getting easier like the rest of adobe products I use.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it and learn animate for your business needs. Adobe animate is great for social media and website additions and plenty of classes for you to utilize online and hone your skills.

I am able to enhance my graphic design background with adobe animate to learn to animate my illustrations and add a whole level of expertise to my portfolio and to the clients.

Freelance Videographer
Fine Art

"Good Animation Software for Beginners"

What do you like best?

I mainly do frame animation, so the ease of which I can accomplish that in Animate is unmatched in any other software I've tried. The flexibility of the horizontal timeline mixed with the layer system is familiar from the other programs in the suite, and makes it easy to move stuff around, and create new frames with a simple hotkey. The tweens are easy to create, and making a library of sprites is pretty easy as well. The userface is straightforward, as are the tools. With a graphics tablet and the onion skins I can work rather quickly when drawing individual frames, which can be a very tedious process. The fill tool, and the ability to edit the more natural looking curves of the vector artwork the brush tool produces is invaluable.

What do you dislike?

The brush tool, in some ways, is the best brush I've used. However, there are painfully few options for it, and I really wish it was more robust. I only work with a select number of tools, but I've always found it hard to export gifs from Animate, and the bone tool has never been easy to figure out.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you already have Creative Cloud and are looking for a program to play around with frame by frame animation give it a shot. If you are a professional working on features, one of the other industry leading software programs would be the way to go. But then again, you probably already know that.

Animate allows me to quickly do frame based animation and some vector illustration.

Motion Graphics Designer

"Still indispensable for 'traditional' 2D animation and illustration. "

What do you like best?

Personal favorite software for creating traditional 2D animation - a great digital equivalent to the old-fashioned "paper & light table" method.

Also my go-to program for vector 2D illustration - works well with Wacom tablet to make clean, scalable artwork.

What do you dislike?

Odd visual glitches and bugs that have been around forever...I always hope they're fixed with every new version, but they're still around.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Animate/Flash alone can only do so much. Get After Effects as well - It should be used to actually put assets together and construct/edit scenes. AE is better for rendering as well.

I rely on Animate/Flash when I need to create custom hand-drawn 2D animation in my motion graphics work. Being able to import .swfs into After Effects makes my life a lot easier.

Editor
Media Production

"Good solution for animations"

What do you like best?

There are plenty of things to like about this software, but the one that made me love it from the start is the user-friendly interface and how easy is to learn even on your own. There are plenty of formats that can be exported to, and it is useful for doing mask and animations for video editing with little effort.

What do you dislike?

The lack of options for the brush, the problems when exporting transparent gifs or the big size from alpha videos, the HTML5 options could be better and lack of stability on some projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a nice 2D animation software that is easy to learn, and thanks to the export options there are other uses for it like vectoring or other types of basic animations.

I have been using the software to do animations for videos, 2D graphics when it is faster than doing it in Illustrator and vector animations.

"Best animation and design software out there."

What do you like best?

The speed of the program, with a decent computer, the program is very very fast and runs really smoothly.

The versatility of the program. You can basically change the whole layout of the program with multiple preset layouts made for you or you can even make you own layout by just dragging everything around and everytime you get on flash it will be the exact same.

The simplicity of the program. Everything on the program is very simple, some things may take some time to learn but with a few videos and like 10 minutes of your time you can get anything down

What do you dislike?

The program is kind of pricey. Also I definitely dislike the fact that this program is utterly annoying when you've got a small display screen as they're are many things on your screen at once and it takes away a lot of space from your stage area.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Would definitely recommend

Before when I was using autodesk, I realized that I wasnt very pleased with it and that animate was so much more simple and premium. It saves me a lot of time everyday and my clients are happier as I can get everything to them much quicker.

Junior Graphic Designer

"Adobe Animate - Bless Life to your Creation"

What do you like best?

The following are the points of Adobe Animate CC which I personally like:

1. Its Interface

I love its interface, it has every necessary tool in reach and wherever it is needed. I like the update of Adobe Animate CC after Adobe Flash.

2. Its Workflow

It supports smooth workflow and very good set of options. Easy to import as well as export. It supports the necessary importing formats like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator files.

3. Stroke and Object Editing

I like Adobe Animate's feature of editing the stroke and the object differently. it is helpful many times when working, especially when animation a character in it.

What do you dislike?

There is almost nothing which I may dislike. I just love whatever it is. But I sometimes find it difficult to work as it sometimes freezes in my system. If it is resolved somehow, it is perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Please use this software if you want to create a nice composition. It is the perfect platform for your creativity and imagination. It is worth your money, time and energy.

I am a student and a part time CG artist. I use Adobe Animate for my student projects as well as for the works given to me by my clients.

"Useful for rotoscoping."

What do you like best?

I started out using this when it was called Adobe Flash. For the most part, Animate is just as easy to use. It also integrates really well with Wacom tablets, so that was fun to play with as well.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there were glitches when I imported videos to rotoscope over, and usually I just had to restart the app or recreate the project several times before I could get it to work. I also feel like the brushes were pretty basic in terms of their settings. Some of them would look really glitchy even when I set the "smoothing" level to pretty high. At the end of the day, digital rotoscoping doesn't look quite the same as physical rotoscoping, and that means you will have to work a little harder to make sure that the animations you're producing move smoothly and naturally.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get your hands on it. Know what kind of projects you want to do and whether or not Adobe Animate can actually accomplish those projects, or else you will end up paying for something you can't really fully use. If your resources allow for it, explore the option to purchase a Wacom tablet. This can really speed up your process beyond buying the program itself. You can customize a lot of the settings on your tablet to match up with commonly used brushes or other tools on Animate.

I used to only do rotoscopes manually, and Adobe Animate has saved me SO SO SO much time by letting me do this in one place.

Posing Artist
Entertainment

"Continually improving software"

What do you like best?

Simple and easy to use for newcomers or experienced animators. The software is continually improving and making adjustments geared towards professional studio quality.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes can be finicky. Flash tends to forget about your shortcuts (even though they are still set to your custom preferences). Also, Flash likes to crash at the most inopportune times in my experience, and the scene comp is barely full. It's like it knows when you haven't saved in a while and that's when it decides to ruin your life.

Provides more shortcuts and preferences that are quick and effective like "Exist with New Instance" shortcut etc. This saves a LOT of time and effort.

Indie Games Developer
Computer Games

"Very Nice For Animate and Make Some Games"

What do you like best?

- Easy to learn how to use;

- You can do so many things with it: Animate, Draw, make games...

- For animate (Its main function), you have the freedom to do things in many ways. There are recommended techniques to make some animations, but the tool does not limit you to them, it leaves you free to do things your way;

- It supports multiple input and output formats. One that I use a lot is the .png sequence;

- Newer versions have a lot of great news to you to make great animations.

What do you dislike?

- The price is can be a little high for those who do not make a very frequent use of this tool;

- It's not a very lightweight tool, to run satisfactorily you will need at least an average PC.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can do a lot with this tool, but it is especially suited for those who want to make animations and in this regard it is one of the best in the market.

This tool is very special to me because it was the first tool that i used to make animations and games (while working in an educational technology company). Actually i use for animate and to draw some sprites for my games. I also use it for make my game trailers. So no longer use more as used at the time i worked in the educational technology company. But it's still a useful and great tool.

Illustrator/Animator
(Myself Only)

"Great Animation Tool, Needs Better Support"

What do you like best?

Adobe Animate CC provides an intuitive animation format. I've set up multiple rigged puppets which helps the process speed along. The vector changing tools are even better for me than Illustrator or competing products.

What do you dislike?

I need other software to convert it to Unity. Should be done in-product. I wish it had a better algorithm for shape tweens - too often I've had to do shape tweens frame by frame.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test if the entire workflow is present for you. I hope they don't discontinue it.

Animating characters. Making vector graphics.

(5001-10,000 employees)

" one of my favorite software to make animations in 2d"

What do you like best?

I started working with flash from the mx version and have been learning and working with each of the versions that have come out, so I find it easy to use to create animations 2d, working with the timeline and the possibility of creating different scenes is awesome to make animated clips, vector drawing tools and the ability to import objects from illustrator and photoshop is very good for collaborative work.

What do you dislike?

one of the things a little complicated to handle in flash is writing code action script because has changed version at different times and still not standardized this language also it lacks some tools for handling sound and video as it is limited in this aspect.

for the companies I've worked I've done different animations and multimedia, also at the university level, I could get a job at the university due to good management that I have the program

Sketch Artist
Animation

"Improving all the time!"

What do you like best?

While I do not use this program for regular drawn animation, I do find that it is so much fun to make simple interactive games as an artist. I started with Action Script 2.0, although it is not too hard to make the switch to 3.0. I feel that this program offers such a wide variety of interactive and entertainment possibilities. From webpages to TV shows!

What do you dislike?

I have been trying and looking up so many tutorials on how I might better use the paintbrush and I still can't get it to act closely enough to Photoshop's more realistic hand-drawn strokes. Perhaps I am following the wrong step, but then I feel that it shouldn't be as much of a challenge as it is. I love the animation interface, but the drawing aspect still frustrates me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The best thing I can say to new users is watch online tutorials. This program looks simple on the surface but there are so many more capabilities in this program than initially realized. Also, it is important to understand the difference between using action script and animating. They are different interfaces!

As stated before, achieving a more hand-drawn look is not the same as other programs. Most of the time tablets are being used, yet Flash doesn't totally recognize the hand's natural strokes yet. On the other hand, creating buttons, symbols, and moving symbols is so entertaining to both create as well as make live on websites for users to enjoy.

Flash Developer
E-Learning

"Let's make Flash great again!"

What do you like best?

I love that they essentially kept everything identical to the way it was. Although a change in name, it's certainly still Flash under the hood, and I love that. Why reinvent the wheel when this powerhouse of a software package already does everything and more than the competition? From pure animation to complex software creation, it literally has it all.

"Ohhhh, but what about HTML5? Steve Jobs said that's the future!" Well, Flas.... I mean, Animate does that too. In earlier iterations, export to HTML5 was a bit cumbersome, creating an image for every one imported. Now, it neatly packages everything up into pixel perfect sprite sheets, removing the need to upload 300 separate images.

Let's not forget that you can package your project to iOS and Android within seconds. Being able to reach multiple target markets for deployment is amazing. If you're comfortable writing code with AS3, the transition to pure Javascript is very simple for getting to HTML5's canvas. Whether it be for advertisements, animations, games or even software.

What do you dislike?

What do I dislike...? Well, to be perfectly honest, I dislike that they had to rebrand what was already a great piece of software. Some dead guy in a turtle-neck decides to spout off one day and every hipster in the country just eats it up as gospel.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely give Animate a thorough evaluation. It meets and exceeds most of the needs we have and still manages to surprise us with hidden features after 10+ years of use.

We develop eLearning for companies across the United States, Canada and Australia. In addition, we develop mobile, web and desktop games, all within a single software package. Being able to deploy to multiple file types with a few clicks saves us a lot of time and frustration.

Freelancer
Computer Games

"Great tool for plenty of projects: animarions, presentations, games."

What do you like best?

- Action Script, because I can make games in it!

- animation abilities, it's great for making GIF's, product presentations, cartoons

- nice vector graphic tools

- smooth integration with Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition

- good interface, no unnecessary stuff

- it have many libraries to use in games

- bone tool for animation

- 3D support

What do you dislike?

- sometimes he like to crash

- sometimes have problems with importing sounds

- its difficult to sustain stable frame rate in games with lots of blur and glow effects

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely worth buying when you want to create animations, AI/PSD support is very very helpful. Also you can make games in it, it has all the previous support of Action Script language, so you can easy jump on in from earlier versions of Flash, old projects will work like a charm. It's also good tool for making presentations, and if you can conclude some programming stuff, your presentation can be interactive.

I'm helping my customers to present their products in original way, make presentations that are interactive, make cartoons that encourage to learn more of the product. It's great not only for creating marketing material, but also to create value content in itself (for ex. games).

Lecturer
Education Management

"Adobe Animate - web, games, animation"

What do you like best?

Adobe Animate is a large product, covering the creation of animation for film, broadcast, web or games. It provides a range of tools allowing animation to be created by beginners or advanced users. The simple drawing tools and timeline encourage beginners to create frame by frame animations and then graduate onto more complex animation features such as tweening and bone tools. Close integration with other Adobe tools means that images from Photoshop or Illustrator can be easily imported, and finished animations can be exported into editing tools such as Premiere Pro or After Effects. Adobe Animate also has it's own programming language, Actionscript, for creating interactive content and games. More recent versions have added support for Javascript, which allows the creation of interactive web based content for modern web browsers.

What do you dislike?

There's not a lot to dislike in Adobe Animate. Perhaps the learning curve is quite high, but there are many tutorials available from within the software itself and on the web.

I make animations and interactive content for the web and for e-learning. Adobe Animate provides a huge range of tools for creating this type of content quickly and with lots of features.

(10,001+ employees)

"It's Still flash"

What do you like best?

Really this is a still a powerful animation tool and now that it works with html instead of flash we can still flex a bit of animation power when needed.

What do you dislike?

It was a bit of a difficult transition but I love where this has ended up and where it is headed. Adobe still continues to deliver powerful tools for designers.

When flash was finally phased out we were at a bit of a stale mate in terms of production, but thankfully this has provided us with a great tool for use.

UG

"A Fun Animation Program"

What do you like best?

When I was learning, it was relatively easy to get the basics and be up and running quickly. I love working in Vector so creating characters by drawing straight into the software is excellent. Editing keyframes is very straightforward. Always enjoyed creating symbols for animation. It's simplicity is it's best feature. Editing keys is a breeze. Although many studios are now using other software, some still use Animate because they were used to Flash.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't have as many effects as a program like After Effects does. It does suffer from lag when saving large animation files, although it's definitely better than it used to be. Exporting files can be tricky depending on the format. Needs to sync better with Photoshop and Illustrator.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The program is much more layered than it used to be as Flash. It's ease of use can be deceiving, there is a lot more to the program than when it was simply Flash, so don't hesitate to explore all the features. It still doesn't have all the features of After Effects, but has a simpler workflow. Many animation and game studios still use the program for their projects, so it's beneficial to learn.

It's a great program for doing simple animations. I tend to create most of my assets in Photoshop or Illustrator so it's really helpful that files are importable. The learning curve to get up and running is not as steep as something like After Effects.

Lab Technician
Chemicals
(Myself Only)

"Fun Program for Making Fun Animations!"

What do you like best?

Flash is not too difficult to work even without much experience (although taking something like college courses does help significantly).

Creating an animation is easy, especially if you're doing something simple like a frame by frame animation. Making an interactive animation takes a little more work and knowledge to do.

Actionscript allows you to make games and other interactive animations.

Pictures and artwork can be imported easily if you rather draw it outside of Flash.

What do you dislike?

It's an easy program to work with but can be difficult to understand. If you have no background in coding, Actionscript in particular will be difficult to work with if you plan on making animations with interactions.

Drawing in Flash isn't the greatest in my opinion. There aren't many options when it comes to creating various art styles as it automatically turns everything into a vector drawing. Drawings would have to be imported if you want a particular look to your animation.

It also can run slow at times, especially when you're trying to preview an animation. It sometimes crashes, but not often.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best to take some classes or view some tutorials online to learn how Flash works. It's not the hardest program to work with but it can be confusing when working with certain things.

It's the easiest way to make a simple 2D animation with high quality.

(Myself Only)

"Falling behind the times"

What do you like best?

Adobe Animate is straightforward, well organized and easy to use. Actionscript is not difficult to implement once your animation is completed. The support from Adobe is not bad at all, and I have received good assistance from when I have had a problem.

Some of the more recent changes have been a great step in the right direction, and I hope that soon they will catch up with the likes of Toon Boom, as least in drawing tools.

What do you dislike?

Drawing tools are woefully behind the times. Just about any other animation program is better than Animate in this regard. Animating in this program is painful, sloppy and clumsy.

There are no animation tools that help much besides onion skinning.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are getting the whole Adobe subscription package, it's fine. It's much easier to use than Photoshop's animation tools if you want to do quick animation - or even just to flesh out some gestural animation to then clean up in another program.

But what Animate is really essential for is actionscripting. The debugging tools and the user-friendly scripting interface makes learning the coding language not difficult, even for beginners.

When I freelance work to be used on the internet, I will port over animation from another program (say, Toon Boom Harmony) utilize the actionscript capabilities there and re-publish from Adobe Animate. This enables me to make quick interactive work with little fuss, and helps organize my workflow by keeping certain aspects of

Senior Graphic Designer

"Adobe Animate Review"

What do you like best?

The vector tools are easy to use (and have improved greatly over the years) and it's still my go-to program for web banner production.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't seem to be able to utilize enough system memory so tends to crash often when used for prolonged periods.

The back and forth between Animate and Illustrator makes for easy workflows when dealing with vector assets.

Former Production Supervisor
Financial Services

"OK... has it's use"

What do you like best?

I like the stage that is also the desktop, it's good for importing digital images for use.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was more like the other programs, (photoshop, indesign)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get the digital program for your needs.

Animate is being used to create mobile/web advertising