ActiveCampaign Reviews & Product Details

Strategic Project Manager
What do you like best?

I like the many different features that Active Campaign offers. Being able to segment out the email data as well as you can with AC is great for knowing what's working and what isn't working in any marketing campaigns. The automations work well and they are great for our response times to our customers/potential customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The one dislike I have is the time consuming nature of using the platform. Of course, I understand it's time consuming because of the many different features offered, but sometimes it feels like it takes a bit too long to set up a campaign. Although this is a dislike, I would rather this be the case and it takes me a bit more time than to not have as many options or features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Active Campaign for our email marketing and our auto-response emails to our clients and would-be clients. One problem that is consistently solved is learning what works best for our email marketing tactics. Being able to see the data that is presented allows us to know when the best time to send emails is, what type of messaging gets the best response, and things of that nature. Active Campaign has allowed us to reach a larger audience than we previously could. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ActiveCampaign Overview

What is ActiveCampaign?

ActiveCampaign's category-defining Customer Experience Automation (CXA) Platform helps over 130,000 businesses in 170 countries meaningfully engage with their customers. The platform gives businesses of all sizes access to hundreds of pre-built automations that combine email marketing, marketing automation, CRM, and machine learning for powerful segmentation and personalization across social, email, messaging, chat, and text. Over 70% of ActiveCampaign's customers use its 300+ integrations including Shopify, Square, Facebook, and Salesforce. Pricing starts at $9 a month. ActiveCampaign was built on the idea that an excellent customer experience must go beyond the traditional marketing touchpoints, like email. Delivering a personalized, high-touch experience is easy in the very beginning, but as a business grows— adding channels, additional teams, locations, customer segments, etc.— the complexity of managing relationships is too much, and that personalized connection doesn’t scale (this is why we’ve all received sales emails for products we already own, been asked to review a product we returned, or had disjointed experiences across success reps while trying to resolve a support ticket, etc.) This is why email marketing, marketing automation, service and support tools, and CRMs end up wasting time for organizations instead of supporting their growth. With ActiveCampaign, and the Customer Experience Automation (CXA) category, we are removing the silos between data sources, communication channels, and teams, and helping businesses scale their 1-1 personal customer relationships through connected experiences that span the customer lifecycle. This enables businesses to automate a truly personalized experience that feels authentic, so their customer relationships can scale, no matter how large that business grows. What are some of the things you can do with ActiveCampaign? -Automate personalized experiences across all your customer touchpoints -Track buyer preferences, behavior, and many custom attributes across the entire customer lifecycle for deeper segmentation and more effective outreach -Customize sends based on almost any parameter, so your messages are always targeted for the right audience -Use data from the entire customer lifecycle to choose the best content, send time, and delivery channel for each customer -Create entirely customized campaigns with minimal effort, then improve your send strategy in real time based on customer behaviors -Replicate the 1-1 personal experience for every customer, no matter how big your business gets

ActiveCampaign Details
Danish, German, English, Finnish, French, Indonesian, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish, Vietnamese, Chinese (Simplified)

ActiveCampaign helps growing businesses meaningfully connect and engage with their customers. Its Saas platform enables businesses to create optimized customer experiences by automating many behind the scenes processes and communicating with their customers across channels with personalized, intelligence-driven messages.

ActiveCampaign is the only Customer Experience Automation solution that lets business connect customer engagement across all channels, and through the entire customer lifecycle. ActiveCampaign closes the gap that exists between email marketing, marketing automation, CRM, and support and service tools so businesses can create 1-1 personalized experiences that meet customers where they want to engage.

ActiveCampaign
2003
Chicago, IL
@ActiveCampaign

ActiveCampaign Videos

ActiveCampaign Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the ActiveCampaign community
Have you used ActiveCampaign before?

ActiveCampaign Reviews

Showing 6,852 ActiveCampaign reviews
Showing 6,852 reviews
Already have ActiveCampaign?
Founder + CEO
What do you like best?

The thing I like best about ActiveCampaign is the suite of services and functions that it offers. It goes beyond just being a platform to send out a email newsletter here and there. It has the technology and tools to target prospective customers, visitors to your website, and qualified traffic. Also, the smart automation features that ActiveCampaign provides really helps me streamline repeatable tasks that otherwise would take up a ton of my time. Finally, ActiveCampaign provides a TON of integrations so I'm able to plug it in to the other services that I'm current using for social media, online learning, contact forms, and more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there's nothing specific that stands out as a dislike. Sometimes the initial set up of automations and integrations can be complicated but not more so than other tools that I've used on the market. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ActiveCampaign helps me to do four specific things: send email newsletter, create automation of messages, create messaging tied to my online courses, and track my prospective customer sales cycle. Before ActiveCampaign, I had to use a couple of software solutions to accomplish all this but now it's all housed in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

VP of Business Development
What do you like best?

I like how powerful and fully featured ActiveCampaign is. There are a wide variety of ways we can communicate with customers and use automations and insights to reach them better. I like the UI and the email design tools. For me, as someone who likes "traditional" layouts with lots of options, this is a perfect tool. I have also been incredibly impressed by the support and onboarding teams. Any time I have had a question or needed to learn a feature, they have been there for me! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything that I dislike at this point - three months into using the product. There are drawbacks such as the price (which is fair, but higher than other solutions) and the learning curve to get into the product, but these come with the decision to buy a highly functional solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend definitely taking the time to talk through all of your needs with the sales team. I had a great experience with Griff who laid out the positives and negatives and worked to make sure we had the right solution for us. It is a fully featured tool and it isn't inexpensive, so make sure it fits what you need. I also really enjoyed onboarding and ongoing support with Cooper and now Katie. Use the resources provided, because they're great! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We had a hard time automating our email process with our previous solution, and ActiveCampaign has really helped that. We also didn't have a way to communicate with website visitors, and ActiveCampaign has made that possible. We're also very happy with the email design process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GPM
What do you like best?

The tag system and the automations are surely the strong points that differentiates it from the competitors I have tried before. The product team always works on new features. This way my projects are always up to date. I really appreciate it. It's amazing also for the number of integrations that I can choose from. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular. Maybe sometimes I run into other systems that don't integrate directly and I have to go through Zapier. But in the end, I still reach my goal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend starting with the basic plan and then moving to a higher plan as the business and technology needs grow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use ActiveCampaign to acquire contacts from the company website, to track their behavior on the site or on emails and to manage the relationship with each of them through CRM. With ActiveCampaign I have a perfect machine for generating and nurturing contacts, it integrates perfectly with Wordpress and with the other systems and platforms we use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editor
What do you like best?

The email templates make it easy to create effective, eye-catching emails to send to my list. I've struggled in the past to do it on my own, but now I don't have to come up with a design. I just apply one of the ActiveCampaign templates, make a few changes to align the design with my brand, and I can easily add my own content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At first, I struggled to figure out how to put everything together. ActiveCampaign offers so many features that I felt overwhelmed. But the help feature gave me the answers I needed, and I soon figured out how to do the basics. It is certainly a learning process, however, especially if you haven't used similar applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed a solution not only for getting started with my email list but also the ability to grow my business in the future. ActiveCampaign has plenty of features that I don't need yet, but I know I will eventually put them to good use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director
What do you like best?

We use Active Campaign like a whole business system - from leads and sales to operations and fulfilment. Anyone who is just using Active Campaign as a CRM and autoresponder is really only using 10% of its capabilities. The dashboard and reporting is intuitive and effective. Highly recommend. We're an agency that recommend all our clients use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really hesitate to say 'nothing' because I don't want Active Campaign to put up the price. Part of why it's such an effective package is because it doesn't charge Rolls Royce prices for all the features we're able to get out of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Spend the time getting it set up and think about all the other business systems that can be done with this system. It's so much more than just a CRM. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Like I said, it goes beyond automated follow up. We use to manage whole business divisions and have insight into how each of them connect. From the leads and sales in marketing to operations and fulfilment, managing the client's experience with us so that they stay engaged, connected and get the results our business can help them with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Copywriter & Web Designer
What do you like best?

The options for Automations! I geek out on this stuff and have tried seven other competitors (yes, really!) between my own business needs and that of my clients and I truly believe ActiveCampaign rises to the top of the pack for customization options that allow for individualization to optimize the experience of my recipients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That some features are restricted by plan type but this doesn't deter me from recommending it to others. The starter level (called Lite) meets all of my current business needs since I have other integrations that work for other tasks within my business (memberships, landing pages, payment of products).

The Pro version is slick, too. I'd recommend it for someone who wants a CRM that integrates nicely with an email marketing system but does not need crazy levels of depth to the information stored. ActiveCampaign feels like it is a serious email marketing system that's added CRM features while others are CRMs that have added some email marketing features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I don't always receive their email links for their webinars (called Study Halls) although this may be an issue that's more related to my email service provider than ActiveCampaign itself. That being said, their team is always helpful with getting me answers and links if needed.

It doesn't integrate with all systems on the Lite plan, which is a little clunky, although the API works well with anything that's not listed as a native integration.

Overall, there's not much to complain about with ActiveCamapign. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

F
What do you like best?

I love that Active Campaign makes it easy to create and send beautiful and/or simple emails and funnels, and manage our database of clients! I'm not a tech pro, and even I'm able to sort it all out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The one feature that my little team and I really wish was different is the "Top Contacts" list in Active Campaign... it's not a list! It's a bunch of floating headshots of your top contacts, and there is no way to get a list! Just a bunch of photos you have to scroll over and then record their names and emails yourself. If you want to see your top contacts and top responders you have to set up a whole scoring system, but then you have to wait for up to two months for that to populate... which we didn't do, because we thought the Top Contacts list would make it easier to see the Top Contacts! It's crazy that this is a bunch of photos of our contacts, and we can't actually see the names and data. According to the forums, this has been an issue for years and they still haven't fixed it. How hard can it be to switch from a bunch of photos to a spreadsheet of names and contact info for our Top Contacts? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It takes a little while to get used to, but I find it pretty user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use it as our CRM and to send emails to our list. We also use it to set up sales funnels. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President
What do you like best?

Active Campaign seamlessly integrates with our WooCommerce store. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The reports at your fingertips are pretty basic and not customizable--unless you pay for the highest tier account (over $600/month). You can't have reports emailed to you periodically, either.

Also, there is a learning curve when using automations, and when using the customer scoring system.

We don't use the Deals feature as intended because it is designed for use by salespeople. We only use it in tracking customer "journeys."

Finally, it can be pricey depending on the size of your customer base. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We love that this platform helps us connect with customers and automate product-specific contact information. Active Campaign is essential to us for personalizing our e-commerce customer experiences. We also use it to track our customer's journey over time.

Since going to Active Campaign we have been able to simplify delivery of e-commerce virtual products and track customer experiences far more efficiently.

The company has good customer support, though our best experiences were pre-planned. I've scheduled training times with their reps, who are friendly and helpful, and those training slots have been worth while.

Their Study Hall instructional courses are basic, but worth doing if you are new to the platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Business Mentor & Coach, Online Educator
What do you like best?

ActiveCampaign does all the tasks that we need in record time including tracking sales, email campaigns, excellent analytics. It was easy to learn using tutorials and one-on-one onboarding so we were able to transition from our current program to ActiveCampaign with ease. I like being able to manage everything from the dashboard and create the dashboard to suit my individual needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is pricy, so you need to be committed and know your numbers if you're on a budget. I don't like the live chat as I don't feel it is as seamless as some other brands. Perhaps some get more with the site and the landing pages, but when we looked into them, it again seemed like it was trying too hard, I prefer to use it to do what it's really good at which is being a solid CRM. There are so many features that you need to potentially dedicate a full-time person to the task of AC management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tracking the sales has been really helpful, especially with failed payments using the deals area. It's also great how the builder works for emails because it is WYSIWIG we can make formatting changes with ease. The reporting is really thorough and we can download and analyze the data easily. The lists feature is helpful for managing different contact lists and we love the tagging for really drilling down to who should receive the email. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

I love the fact that it is a marketing tool with CRM and most importantly pipelines Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1. the message builder is buggy and slow

2. the site, in general, is very slow

3. When I create a segment and before I sent an email I cannot see the specific list of email that belongs to the segment

4. I don't have the ability to create a segment by uploading a list, for example in my database we have users who claimed a specific deal I can export them from my system to send them a message but when I import them to AC I am unable to just send an email to them. To create a segment I have to add a tag then create the segment which makes you have loads of silly tags that are harder to manage. With Mailchimp, I can upload a list and create a segment from the import alone

5. SMS is not too functional I have been unable to make it work

6. Fields and lists, it looks like every list and every contact on all lists have the same fields. I have merchants and users, they have different attributes it is annoying that I end up with massive lists of fields that don't apply to every list.

7. Point above becomes worse when you use forms, each form creates fields for ALL LISTS arghhhh Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to manage my drip campaigns on one hand, and on the other hand link with my app and manage users via API

one service for it all but the above issues make it not perfect Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief instructor / Managing director.
What do you like best?

I love the automation section as it is clear in setting up flow diagrams and if statements. It also integrates the automation with the lists very clearly and there are some smart ways in setting up flows with using tags and grouping your contacts. I must admit I have not used the deals that much as that is not a requirement for me.

Further I really enjoy having the templates there to work from, there is a good mix of different styles and for different situations.

As an IT specialist I also appreciate the ability to use my own domain and setup the SPF and DMARC records with extreme ease. The suggestions during the setup and configuration of API codes to use on your own websites are extremely handy and makes working with the product so much more easy.

I also enjoy the variables we can us based on tagging and making sure that the results are in line of what we expect. With this you can become extremely smart on how you want the message come across. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Limitations in the use of fonts and colours in default schemes. Often the fonts and colours are defaulting back to system defaults which are not able to the changed.

I have not found a good way to integrate videos in the emails just yet (other than having it on YouTube).

One suggestion I would suggest is to allow for easier access to the media folder as uploading photos I found a bit clunky. Also the feature to edit photos are not the easiest way to work with as the controls are often blending in the background (so changing the colour with this through the css, would be an amazing opportunity to make that better).

I think the segmentation of the lists might be a bit easier to work with as they are a bit hidden and it took me a little while to figure out how they work and how I could apply them the best. There would be a great opportunity to enhance this by also having the option to have this part of the list to choose from (ie to have a list with segmentation active when you select the list you want to send the message to). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

After using different mailing systems, I found Active Campaign the most complete system for small businesses. It gives the admin great powers over all the features that that the product provides. Integration with other systems are possible and the API side of the product are also easy applied.

Further I for sure recommend using Active Campaign for its overall ease of use, great examples of templates for you to apply to your email/marketing campaigns. Also the industry related automations and suggestions are extremely powerful.

The ease of setup makes it possible for you to use ActiveCampaign within a few minutes.

If you are looking for a product which you can customise to a high degree and which does not break the bank then I do believe that Active Campaign would be a great option for you. The options with the automation/segmentation are endless and you can really well map out a customer experience journey. Having templates ready at your fingertips and some guidance on what your potential clients are looking at it has really helped to develop our business into a great engaging community. I'm currently working on developing a training course for my clients and find the flow on and automations for the fitness industry extremely helpful to use.

For sure give it a try to see if this is solving your problems as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We started using AC for emailing our newsletters. I have found that there is a great marketing flow and customer experience by having them registering for an event we are running to drop feed information through the workflows. I have just recently found the new automation workflows provided by Active Campaign very useful. They have an automation specially for the fitness industry with I love using.

One challenge I always had was timing our messages in time with the options of performing delayed sending has solved this issue for us.

Lastly we have had issues before with previous products that we had a beautiful design, but it was not showing that great on a mobile device. With the option of seeing the layout on desktop and mobile devices is fantastic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner/Operator
What do you like best?

I have been with AC since 2012 and love how they are constantly improving things and adding new features. I have great deliverability as well and put to use their many tools, integrations and automations. I have a large list of over 125,000 active subscribers and the engagement tools help me keep my list active and engaged. They have countless tutorials to teach any of the functions that they offer, and the step-by-step instructions and videos are super helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Support takes longer than it used to since they have grown so much, but their knowledgebase and help articles really minimize the need to contact support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In the past I have tried MadMimi, Mail Chimp, Aweber, and Constant Contact and prefer AC over all of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I utilize the automations and engagement scoring to keep a solid list of subscribers active and opening emails. I also have AC connected to my online store for automations such as abandoned cart emails, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

D
What do you like best?

I was definitely a bit daunted when I first logged in as it seems there is a lot to learn, but after dedicating some time to learn, I found it really easy to get our first ever automated campaign set up.

I really like how easy it is to now send all our customers critical updates within minutes, whereas before we were doing them manually.

Also really like how easy it is to set up automated emails. It's something I've thought about doing for a long time, but was always put off by the fact that it seemed to complicated and time consuming to do. Well that's definitely not the case now, Active Campaign makes it so easy once you get past the learning phase, to send automated campaigns. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think emailing customers direct from their contact record, is a little bit basic. It would be nice to see the same options that are in the campaign editor, being made available in the email editor. I have found I can copy & paste some of the features I need, but it's not ideal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to learn the processes - it's worth the effort. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As above, being able to automate email campaigns and send out critical customer updates makes everyone's job so much easier.

After the initial learning phase and setting up templates, we are now saving so much time sending emails out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.