FineReader PDF 15 Reviews & Product Details

Programador
Government Administration
What do you like best?

ABBYY digitalizes documents and images and allows me to save them in different formats, preserving the structure of said documents and images. It's simply amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a more friendly user interface, at first I had a hard time learning how to use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When you try it, your life will change forever. It's just that amazing, a real time saver. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I save a lot of time because it allows me to work with documents without having to transcript them, it really makes my job easier to do. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

FineReader PDF 15 Overview

What is FineReader PDF 15?

FineReader is an all-in-one OCR and PDF software application designed to increase business productivity. It provides easy-to-use tools to access and modify information locked in paper-based documents and PDFs.

FineReader PDF 15 Details
Czech, German, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Chinese (Simplified)

ABBYY
1989
Milpitas, CA
@ABBYY_Software

FineReader PDF 15 Videos

FineReader PDF 15 Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the FineReader PDF 15 community
Have you used FineReader PDF 15 before?

FineReader PDF 15 Reviews

Showing 99 FineReader PDF 15 reviews
Location
Already have FineReader PDF 15?
Chief, SSI Program Office
What do you like best?

FineReader PDF 15 provides the software platform you need for 95% of everything you need to do with any of your documents, your screen capture images and Portable Document Format documents. I love the ability to use this software on my laptop or desktop with the same level of performance. Capturing data for PDF resiliency is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fact that people don't think this software isn't good enough and they need to spend $500 or more for PDF creation and management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a Powerful and efficient PDF tool-set you FineReader PDF 15 is everything you need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The ability to convert all my files, web-based HTML, Screen Captures, Text, Google Docs and MS Office Suite documents into one format with one tool FineReader PDF.

The benefit is that FineReader PDF isn't a resource hog. I have to use the other PDF tool with one client - on their systems and have to reboot my computer every hour as it uses up all available resources and stops working. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Project Engineer
What do you like best?

Seemingly smooth integration with my Xerox Scanner. Obvious button labeling and layout that makes finding actions intuitive. Low overall Memory footprint while using, which has been great when running multiple programs simultaneously. The conversion to various Office documents was also a very nice touch that I did not expect to have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The interface, while clean, looks dated compared to Adobe's. As this is purely an aesthetic issue, I don't hold this too heavily against the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think that compared to what I'm used to using with Adobe, FineReader offers all the primary functions I'd want, so it serves as a fine alternative. It was made even better since it came paired with my Xerox scanner, which makes for a great marriage of products. I'd say the only feature I haven't really tried is their Form Editor, but the mere fact that it exists makes me think it will be a well-composed perk. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The best benefit was gaining access to a means to manipulate PDFs that I was lacking. This has made it much simpler to interact with companies when PDF work was needed, where before I had to get more creative to solve any issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance Translator & Interpreter (E<>J)
What do you like best?

The OCR accuracy is simply the best. I've tried them all. The OCR editor function is also very useful for correcting incorrect OCR on-the-fly, prior to exporting. Also, FineReader does a great job of recognizing tables and text boxes, and the exported Word or RTF files usually look great & faithful to the original PDF. It also does a fantastic job with documents containing more than one language, which was the biggest difference I saw between FineReader and other leading OCR software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that FineReader would learn from corrections I make with Japanese, which is the primary language I OCR using the product. I know this is possible with other languages. Most PDFs I OCR use the same font, text spacing, etc., which means that if I correct one erroneous OCR in one part of the document, it should help the OCR engine correctly recognize the same text string that appears elsewhere in the document. For documents that include many repetitions (which is the case with patent documents, which I specialize in), it will help tremendously. This is the most desired feature for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I OCR Japanese patent documents that are provided in PDF format to MS Word, which I then feed into a CAT (Computer Aided Translation) software to carry out translation services. CAT software use is essential for modern translators, particularly for highly repetitious tasks such as patent translation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Developer
What do you like best?

Abbyy Finereader is very accurate in OCR and fast enough even on my old PC. I tried a number of alternatives because I was releuctant to pay the price of an Abbyy licence and I kept results for different software and compared them all. There was a method using command-line that was quite accurate, but it was nowhere near as easy as using Abbyy. I decided my time is valuable and bought an Abbyy licence. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As the name suggests it is geared to PDF and assumes the end result will be PDF whereas I also wanted text to use in a markup workflow. But it was easy enough to get that out of Abbyy after setting a few preferences. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was digitally archiving an amateur magazine that I created in the early 1980s which was done with a typewriter so the font was challenging.

Also I have used Abbyy to edit PDFs which is a bonus feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Volunteer
What do you like best?

The OCR software guides you through the document so you can accept or change characters that it is not certain about. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The UI is a bit crowded and overwhelming at first but is not too hard to get used to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Scanning records documents and converting to word and excel is the main use for the software. It is also used for creating PDF form that clients can use to fill in their details electronically rather than freehand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TVI/COMS
What do you like best?

I like how it can rake any page and covert it to useable text. It makes turning print pages into Braille managable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A few things get lost in the OCR. Not many Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It makes converting documents into a useable form. It has cut my time immensely Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It was bundled with a Xerox document scanner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Settings are minimal. Users cannot define a default file folder on a local or network drive or a cloud.

A new instance of ABBYY FineReader PDF 15 is opened for each side of a 1 page document. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None. Very time consuming and annoying to manually copy/move PDF files from a local drive folder to a network drive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Anastasiya Tsed of FineReader PDF 15

Dear customer,

Thank you for your review.

We did use to bundle some of our older versions with scanners, FineReader Sprint as one example but we do not do so anymore. Our latest version- FineReader PDF 15 is not available as bundle. It is sold separately, as a standalone license.

It sounds like you might still be using one our previous versions, and have not upgraded to the latest version.

Regarding defining a default file folder on a local or network drive, it depends on what kind of actions you are looking to perform, but this is possible with FineReader PDF 15. Conversion scenarios, such PDF to Word for example, can be automated with the help of Hot Folder, where a default folder can be set up and any files placed in it will be converted automatically with pre-defined settings.

Please feel free to contact ABBYY support team directly in case of any issues https://support.abbyy.com/hc/.

Best regards,

ABBYY FineReader PDF team

Describe the project or task the product helped with:

Currently I manage a team that must convert documents and in addition to that generate reports of this, thanks to Abbyy this work is simpler and extremely fast and complete at all times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Thanks to abbyy I can convert my files with the scanner, it is a non-portable program with which you scan a document and you already have its edition available, with many of the tools offered by office and even more accessories. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really feel that it has fault with the sellers, we were never able to buy directly from abbyy's suppliers, only from third parties, because it was really difficult and complicated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is my favorite document scanner, I honestly do not complain, it is incredible and fabulous, it has some defects, such as that it does not get along when converting images, but it is not a serious problem, its strength is words, and in this not has whoever beats him currently. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In the office, it currently gives us the security and satisfaction of always working, the support team is attentive and eager to study our problems and solve them, it is a gift that they are always so attentive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

Ability to edit PDF's easily and the multiple options to reduce file size by page, size, bookmarks, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't have tabs for multiple open PDF's (each PDF document is open in it's own independent window). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

File size reduction, PDF editing, OCR searching of keywords. Works great with your scanner to enable the OCR function. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Excellent conversion quality from PDF to Word.

Super quality OCR conversion (from image to text).

Ability to work in network mode (specific licence required).

OCR for extra-European languages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Solutions and support for non-European languages and the complex handling of multilingual files should be further developed.

Editing on certain types of PDF files still needs to be improved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Super quality OCR conversion.

Excellent conversion quality from PDF to Word. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CI
What do you like best?

Ability to accurately extract table data from PDFs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Windows version required for full features Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Extracting text from PDFs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the product helped with:

We purchased ABBYY for our office for a large project that invlovled creating a database of 1200 pages of Town Clerk records, using old hard copy ledgers. We scanned them all in and were able to create a great working file for the staff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

For this project we needed the original text to be formatted in a spreadsheet and it was very helpful to be able to adjust the table lines in edit mode prior to copy and pasting into the final document. These adjustments are so simple to make using the tools provided as well. The ease of trasitioning from editing the table, back to the OCR funcitons allowed for higher productivity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only negative thing in my experience was that the OCR would misread some text and replace it with symbols, etc. However, the documents I was working with were several decades old and the font was likely an old typewriter. With newer documents, typed in current software, I did not have that problem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would reccommend downloading a free trial first, just to see what this software can do. After that - I would be surprised if someone didn't want to buy the full version! Great product! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Because of ABBYY we were able to complete this project, and a few others, more efficently because we can use the OCR feature to capture text in large sections, saving time to manually enter data. Plus, it reduces the likelihood of human error, typos, etc.

This software was an excellent investment and we will absoloutely continue to use it going forward. In fact, now that we have the software available we will be able to provide enhanced services to our clients, while at the same time saving both time and money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the product helped with:

ABBYY FineReader is a godsend for our college's accessibility team, when converting PDFs to textreadable format. However, when verifying the conversion, there are some things that are SO annoying. Let's say there's a frequently mis-read word. It gives a list of words it could have been. Why not let the user type in the actual word and have the ability to apply that typed word to all instances? You can only apply to all if it's one of the words ABBYY proposes.

And for those commonly mis-read words because of serifs in the fonts...Can't it be programmed to guess those? Any of us users can predict them: "litde = little" "die = the"...the list goes on. So when those commonly mis-read combo of serif characters exists, can't the list of predicted words include those combos and their translations automatically?

Anyway, I still love the program. It could just be that much better... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Its accuracy and ability to verify the translation afterwards. I love that it's easy to use, that the customer support is friendly and helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Mentioned above--no ability for the user to type in the actual word in place of the misread word and be able to apply that translation to every instance. (Have to do a clunky "Find and Replace" outside of the Verify interface, and even then, it doesn't catch every instance.) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely buy it. You won't regret it. You won't spend hours trying to figure out how to use it. You can get user support very easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Converting photocopied/scanned text or entire textbooks to readable-pdf. It's the most accurate program out there. It's reasonably priced, reliable, and user friendly (mostly.)

The benefits have been the ability to easily assist faculty and staff with providing more universally designed/accessible materials for their students so that everyone can benefit from them. Be it a simple screen rotation when the professor had photocopied and posted the article on Moodle in the wrong direction, to clearing up text that is hidden by shadows. And then, of course, being able to save the document in accessible pdf format so that screen readers/voice over software can read aloud the text. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the product helped with:

Scanning PDF files to excel format. It has really made taking PDF files that have schedules on them and turning them into an excel format that can later be imported into my companies estimating program for pricing. Without it i would have to manually enter every file and that take forever. I have done it numerous times in the past and for a larger project it can take upwards of 2-3 days for complete input and detailing, i would say your program ABBYY has helped cut that time in, oh, probably half. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of use and accuracy of scan is what i like best. I also like the ability to merge and manipulate PDF files. It really helps with getting multiple files into one document. I believe it also helps with final proposals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish the interface was more intuitive. Also the program is one of the best at being accurate in the information it scans but it still has room for improvement. I work with architectural drawings and architects like to use their special font and ABBYY has a hard time picking it up. If it could translate different fonts besides the basic text fonts better it would greatly improve my use of the program and i think make it an all in all better product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a chance, use the 30 day trial to get a feel for it. I believe you will like the program! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Scanning schedules to excel format to manipulate. I also use it to merge proposal PDF files as to make them all in one file for ease of use for whoever at the end will be reading the document. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the product helped with:

I use ABBYY to manage PDF versions of historic texts that I use for research Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Clean interface and easy to use tools, text recognition function Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I was a bit disappointed to find that the only way to use a spell check function was in the OCR app. Witht he new features in 15, the ability to edit whole paragraphs, it is more likily that people will be doing more extensive editing in a PDF. Why not give tham a simple spell chjecker there? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Simple but powerful tool Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Other PDF readers just seem to be too pedantic. With ABBY I can get in and get my work done. Also, I really did not want to deal with a software (Phantom PDF and Acrobat) that you could not buy outright. The subscriptions can get pretty expensive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

OCR worked very well on foreign language character recognition (German) with different typeface and page characteristics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I encountered no issues using the product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Read in a large volume of foreign language text for translation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

System Administrator
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

Using Hot Folders and OCR recongintion. We are using the Corp. Version to go paperless with our AP Invoices Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The support has been very helpful with identifying out needs and selecting the right options for our project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

After speaking with ABBY i had to contact a 3rd party to order. I couldn't just order from the very helpful ABBYY support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Customer support was very help, and the software is easy to use with no background knowledge. We are able to train users to use this software with ease even if they are not "computer savy". Lots of tools come with the basic package that can be used, not additional costs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The Hot Folder operation is great. Plop a file in and next thing you know OCR has recognized and moved Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It does a great job at OCR and I am able to easily change PDFs to text documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike any part of it. It is amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It makes the process of braille translation so much easier. I highly recommend it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Fine reader to change documents to txt documents. This allows me to easily create braille documents for students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical Writer
What do you like best?

was able to scan in 1,000 pages of manuscripts straight into Word for editing. Marvelous! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Few to zero downsides to this program. They've done a great job. Industry standard for a reason. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

OCR home use, auto feed scanner, if your document is already printed then this OCR seems to do the job and allows you to scan straight to Word. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

For $200 I was able to scan in manuscripts and avoid typing them in again. Saved loads of time. Loads. Huge benefits to this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EM
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

I have been using Finereader for some time. I hate Adobe products. they are clumsy and often bug-ridden. That said, what drew me to version 15 is that I have to edit articles for publication and many come in PDF form. These are major edits for publishing in digital and print magazines. That has always been clumsy with Adobe. The last improvement with ABBYY makes that sooo much more efficient with its expanded editing capabilities. That is the primary reason I updated and it turned out to be worthwhile.

the other reason I like this is because it is less expensive than Acrobat, for what i believe is a better product and licensing costs are important. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

its ability to do versatile editing on a large scale. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not have anything to say here. everything works well for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

would highly recommend trying this out vs. adobe Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

article editing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GP
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

I have projects that involve new editions of past products that were released some 30+ years ago. Fortunately, I am able to access scans to user guide documentation, etc. when there are no source files available that can be used. My project involves scanning a PDF, removing certain elements like header/footer and defining some sections as images, and then doing final clean up work within ABBYY prior to exporting as a Word document. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

OCR capabilities for defined sections of document and having the ability to ignore certain areas. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While ABBYY offers a way to recognize tabular data and reference it as a table, I find that the recognition does not work very well. So I usually capture tabular data as an image that will be rebuilt from scratch. The time and effort to try and manipulate data as a table object is too much effort. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have compared and tested other products in the OCR space and found ABBYY reader to be the best product to work with. There is a bit of a learning curve, but the output is the best. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With ABBYY, I am able to produce an editable source file that can then be updated which would otherwise not be possible or very time consuming to accomplish. I consider ABBYY the best product on the market when it comes to OCR capabilities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ML
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

We have only held an ABBYY license for a couple of months, but I have already used ABBYY primarily for 3 tasks. 1. Comparison of construction subcontract to find changes within an updated subcontract version; 2. Reliable conversion of contracts to Word format; 3. Changes and comments to a PDF contract. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like its reliability and ease of seeing differences in documents. We have used and tested other software programs. ABBYY was by far the easiest to use and reliable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are 2 features that it does not have 1. The ability to automatically convert emails to searchable documents; and 2. the creation of fill in forms. One of its competitors had these features, but ABBYY won out in the document comparison features, ease of use, and presentation of results. For the features that we use weekly, ABBYY excels Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of the trial period. Put it through its paces. We compared with 4 other products. ABBYY excelled in meeting our needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is a time saver. In the past we would have to convert documents, compare documents manually line by line, or fumble with other PDF software to make changes to PDF documents. ABBYY has saved us valuable time. It also helps morale because no one wants to spend time reviewing large contracts hunting for version changes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TH
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

I have worked for the Accessibility department of California State University, East Bay for almost two years and Abby made my work alot easier!! My main work was to make pdfs accessible for the students and Abby was the only software that helped me achieve it with utmost efficiency. There have been situations wherein students come with scanned pdfs where in they scan two pages into one page and later want it in an accessible format. Thanks to Abby we could help each of them in achieving the same. All the university's posters and brochures would undergo an accessibility check via our department and if something wasn't accessible we would make it accessible using Abby. So thank you for coming up with this brilliant tool! it not only helped us, but also helped alot of students in their academics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best part of Abby that i liked was how it helps me mark the readable sections and helps us differentiate between an image and the reading section. it also helps us give an Alt text making our work even easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

haven't come across any downfall of it yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's easy to use. you can make your pdfs pretty accessible if you're using it with a screen reader. Works well when you want to separate pages too. Also helps you extract specific page. I highly recommend using this tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TP
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

We use ABBYY to convert paper documents handed out by teachers into editable text that can be converted to a student's grade level, read by a computer reading program, or translated into AAC pathways. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

ABBYY has one of the best text recognition programs I've found, which makes my job quick and easy. I can even trust it enough to allow students to use it themselves with very minimal proofreading. A+ Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am looking forward to even more advances in the OCR so that I don't even need to proofread! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is no substitute for having good OCR software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ABBYY allows student independence in a secondary-level education setting t