AbacusLaw Reviews & Product Details

What do you like best?

Abacus offers a package of software that integrates all of my needs into one system. For example, I don't use one type of software for accounting, another for billing, another for conflict check, another for forms, etc. It is ALL in one place...Abacus, which means single entry, time savings and better accuracy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The cost has gone up as the software has evolved, but I understand and believe it is still a very good value. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ideally, get Abacus going from the start and learn all of its functions to maximize benefit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am a true solo with no staff, so Abacus lets me be very efficient with my time for the administrative tasks and otherwise. It is an essential tool for my model, but would have the same, or potentially even more, value with multiple users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AbacusLaw Overview

What is AbacusLaw?

AbacusLaw gives you all the tools you need to grow your firm - including case management, time, billing, and full G/L accounting operations. Automatically capture critical case and client details, prevent important deadlines from falling through the cracks, and gain complete visibility into your practice.

AbacusLaw Details

AbacusLaw is a turn-key, fully integrated Case Management, Time, Billing and Accounting Solution for small, medium and large sized firms in all practice areas and jurisdictions.

With over 30 years of service experience, we have accumulated a wealth of knowledge from our clients about what goes in to running a successful law practice. By collaborating with top lawyers in many practice areas, we have created pre-configured product packages for specific areas of law. We call them our Practice Area Legal Solutions ("PALS"). These out-of-the-box solutions provide additional input screens, automation rules, specific reports, documents, forms, and terminology that you need in your area of expertise.

AbacusNext
1983
San Diego, CA
@Abacus_Next
540 Twitter followers
Description

AbacusNext is a technology provider for legal, accounting, and compliance-focused professionals. We empower our customers to grow their businesses, better serve their clients, and operate at peak efficiency—all within a secure, cloud-enabled ecosystem.

AbacusLaw Videos

AbacusLaw Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the AbacusLaw community
Have you used AbacusLaw before?

AbacusLaw Reviews

Showing 112 AbacusLaw reviews
Already have AbacusLaw?
What do you like best?

Clients in the AbacusLaw software are easy to lookup by using various queries, as are the matters and events relating to those clients on the calendar. Databases are completely customizable to use whatever entries the user would like add. If there are ever any issues, the support team is able to resolve the issue in a timely fashion with mineral disruption in the work day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Remote access to AbacusLaw does require a costed license so working remotely isn't always possible without violating the user agreement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have a few different people in the office trained to be able to run any special queries or reports just because doing a search the first few times can be difficult to handle for any users who haven't done so before. Once it's learned though, it's easy to maneuver through. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our firm is able to maintain notes and documents on clients so we can always access their files, even if we don't have immediate access to the hardcopy files. We are able to make sure that no issues or conflicts come up with scheduling meetings and appointments around hearings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best thing about AbacusLaw is that it does everything my firm needs - from time and billing to trust accounting, to document management, to case and calendar management - AbacusLaw provides tools for every process and workflow in our office. We don't need any other tools - AbacusLaw runs every aspect of our office. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is difficult to get support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommending making a list of all the features you're looking for in a software solution. Then, compare your list to the rich list of features offered by AbacusLaw. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Abacus solves the problem of having disconnected systems which to not communicate with each other. At my old firm, we had several different unrelated systems to manage firm - the accounting system did not speak to the time and billing system. The contacts database did not speak with the accounting system. We had no document management system to speak of at all. AbacusLaw solves that problem by giving us a complete integrated system - no more double entering contacts into the billing system, and also the contacts database and then again into the accounting system. Complete integration is the biggest value in AbacusLaw. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I really like that I can view any email that has been linked to a client file. It makes is so easy for me to review client information when I don't have to switch between different programs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My only issue is that I can't have more than one client file open at a time. Sometimes I will be working in a client file and someone else calls and I need to open a different client's file. I wish I was able to have multiple client matters open at one time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Since we are able to log all client phone calls in the notes section any employee can see what one of us has stated to a client. This allows us to all speak to the clients that call in without having to check with each other on what information was related to the client. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Judicial Specialist
What do you like best?

The reminder settings and the ability to view multiple days at once on the calendar. I also appreciate the ability to set up rules for certain events that integrate additional events by time orientated formulas. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it requires you to press save and done in order for an event to appear on the calendar---occasionally the attorney thinks he adds something and it doesn't stick because he didn't click done on top of save. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to read through the user guides accessible. You will find it offers more options than you originally thought. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I set reminders for events and hearings to allow me to notify the Attorney as needed even when I am busy with other tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We have the Abacus Private Cloud and it is worth every penny. The software is stable and reliable and we never have issues with lost connection. The product is easy to use and most importantly, easy to train someone else to use. We love the to-dos and notes for the file. It makes it so easy to track each case and know what is coming up next. It did take some time to set it up and get all the kinks worked out, but we have not had serious issues with it since it was installed. I was resistant to try something new and transition all our data from our previous legal software. I am very thankful that I stepped out of my comfort zone. When I do have to call tech support, we receive a prompt return call and tech support has always been able to fix any issues that may arise. I am very happy with this product and have recommended it to many other firms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There definitely are some things I would change, but the company very much wants to hear how they can make things better. I've submitted a request before under the feedback tab and within a few days, they updated the software to make my request a reality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What I'm solving with Abacus is a complete case management system that allows you to track your case status, update your to-do list and create reminders so that you never forget a deadline. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the "Time Spent" field for my files. It makes it easy to keep up with time because you can just start the timer when you go to the file, update your notes, status or whatever you plan to do in your file and it is just documenting your file right along with you! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's hard to release search terms so you can return to your entire file list. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's huge and there are a lot of benefits. It may seem overwhelming with all the features but give it a chance and you will fall in love! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Again, I am loving the timekeeping feature! It makes it easier to keep up with the time as I go instead of having to go back and enter it later. I wish I had found this feature earlier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

Honestly, it's very hard to say that there's any feature I liked best about AbacusLaw. If I had to choose something, I guess it would be the logo. It's a pretty solid design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Besides the logo, I disliked everything about AbacusLaw. It is clunky beyond belief, it doesn't sync with my phone (so no remote access), it would freeze the rest of my computer on at least a weekly basis, etc... There is literally no redeeming feature I can think of.

PS: below the survey/review asks for a screenshot to prove I'm an AbacusLaw user. To take the screenshot, I wanted to close my calendar to protect client data. When I went to close the calendar, Abacus froze and I needed to open my Task Manager to manually close the program. This level of technology wouldn't be suitable if it were 1990, let alone 2020. I'm currently trying to restart Abacus, but I've now waited over a minute and it's still thinking of opening up. Still waiting... Bingo! 2 minutes to open the program! Oops, it froze after I entered my login credentials. Total failure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have never solved a problem with AbacusLaw. AbacusLaw has created many problems, though, such as locking up and freezing my computer. There are no benefits to this software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

I love being able to search all notes using to find previous cases where something was filed that I can use as a template for a document in a current case. You don't have to try and remember the last time you did something similar. Being able to do a Quick Query in an event is also very useful for similar reasons.

I also really like being able to browse for a case or a name without having to type the full case style or name. Instead of having to fully type a long name, using the first 2 or three letters of the first and last names will find it for you. Being able to search by case number is useful too.

I use the form letter generation everyday and it really cuts down on time spent keeping clients informed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I use keyboard shortcuts all the time. I really dislike having to use the mouse to have the right-click menu to come up for an event.

Also, and this is a pet peeve of mine, the dates in a form letter generated from an event will refer back to the first date that event occurred and not the most recent. We regularly have the same type of event occur multiple times over the pendency of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, and when we generate a form letter from the second or third or fourth time an event is on the calendar, the letter will have the date for the first time the event occurred, which is wrong, and if you don't catch it, the client is misinformed. Letter generation really needs to refer to the most recent date the event appears on the calendar. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's all there where and when you need it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The Rules are very useful for setting up deadlines and reminders related to a particular event. Enter one event from a Rule, and boom, there everything is. As long as you use the right Rule, you have all the correct dates on the calendar so you don't miss something. This is really important in bankruptcies where clients' vehicles and homes are at risk if you miss something. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Executive Legal Secretary
What do you like best?

The most helpful item in Abacus is the calendar. I am responsible for keeping my bosses appointments, meeting dates and time off for all of us. I would be lost without this and there would be no organization of the everyday events if I did not have this feature. Also, Abacus is very user friendly I can store all of the necessary information that we have in our paper files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have not found any issues with Abacus. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Using the calendar, I have solved the problem of the everyday events in our office with regards to my boss and any time off for myself, our Paralegal and the two Assistant Counsels. We can pretty much keep track of who is where and what is going on daily and in the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AL
What do you like best?

The program is thorough, allowing you to organize events by name, matter, subject, who it applies to, and other important details Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The app is not entirely user-friendly or customizable. One of our partners needs a larger font because of visual impairment and it took a lot of work just to figure out how to make the font on the reports larger. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure your computer has a shared network with the rest of the computers in the office so that you and every person in your office has access to the calendar and the scheduled events. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to keep the entire office on the same page with Abacus, and it's vitally important to the way we function Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AL
What do you like best?

All of the Options it has and it is time saving Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much We dislike, If there is ever a problem you can call and get assistance Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There is a feature to add all your clients information

you can send client letters straight from amicus

The calendar is super convienent

You can send interoffice messages

Billing each client and doing a mass billing at the beginning of each month is super convenient Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Information Systems Specialist
What do you like best?

The Matters system allows us to keep accurate information about each case. Assignment of matters and staff management is easy with Abacus Law. We have had tremendous staff turnover in the last three years. Abacus has helped us keep cases on track and resolve new assignments quickly. In terms of administration, the updates are relatively easy to administer. The support from the Abacus team has aided us through any challenges we cannot resolve on our own. We solve most issues with the application with in-house IT staff with the Abacus Knowledgebase. Abacus allows us to keep time and billing information to track the performance of attorneys as they work through a case. These features give us insight into how to improve attorneys and work on crucial staff retention. The other attractive feature of Abacus is the price/performance ratio. Given the features that we use so much, it is impossible to imagine a more affordable package for our staff. Our staff is the legal enforcement agency for the State of Montana, and we rely on this tool to be effective in prosecuting severe cases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Abacus Outlook Add-in is a blessing when it works, but we've had challenges getting 100% performance. The Outlook add-in struggle is not entirely an Abacus issue. Microsoft disables the add-in because of slow starting. The online knowledge base at Abacus is fast, simple to use, and nearly always provides enough guidance to resolve the issues. With that said, however, there have been challenges extreme enough to need support from Abacus. Recent changes we have seen at Abacus have made the support much more tech-savvy and more comfortable to access. Still, there's room for improvement in communication and ease of access to the technical support staff at Abacus Law. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Abacus allows us to transition cases from investigation through legal procedures. If a change in staffing occurs, we can manage the case and staff assignments easily. We benefit by having a system easy to navigate by our legal assistants as well as our most competent attorneys. Abacus saves us time by providing easy to use forms, fast reports, and support that keeps the application running. Despite the time we have had Abacus in our office, we have not fully utilized all of the app's potential. We have been able to develop more efficient communication, sharing of information for cases, and improve our management of the procedures. Future benefits Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

On the rare occasion that everything is working properly, having all of our files and programs on the cloud makes it convenient to access everything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Everytime we have an issues with the cloud, it seems like their go to solution is to sell you more services or products. We were told that the transition to the cloud would be seamless and we've had nothing but problems. The time that we have spent trying to remedy problems and issues with Abacus law, outlook, and the cloud in general have cost of thousands of dollars that we will never recover. Our account has been passed around to so many account managers that we have lost count. All of them promised to help us solve the issues but none of them last long enough to get anything done. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Find another service provider. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Slowness of the cloud has been an ongoing issue of ours. Since we already pay a hefty amount to abacus every month, we tried to avoid going forward with any "solutions" that were going to increase our monthly fee. Unfortunately we've reached a point where we can't afford to keep wasting time with this problem and finally agreed to pay for a project to reconstruct our servers and add more RAM to our cloud. At first, we saw a slight improvement with the speed and responsiveness of the cloud. But over this last week, we've had a number of problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

First Assistant D.A.
What do you like best?

AbacusLaw is customizable and as user-friendly an app can get. Not only does it do data management but more importantly data manipulation. Allows a law office to centralize incoming information and documents, etc. into a robust platform that creates pleadings and forms that are a must in the profession. Better question to ask is What can't it do? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Already a feature-rich platform...maybe a better email conduit? texting (SMS) feature to contact clients, etc. A global link setting to attach email to multiple matters, names, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For the Legal Profession, AbacusLaw is the real deal. It is adaptable and feature-rich that is more than suited for the profession. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am a practicing prosecutor for 24 years and implemented Abacus across two (2) counties of our jurisdiction which we access using remote connections. Virtually has united our jurisdictions separate databases into one. Made templates/forms uniform across our jurisdiction and reduced potential "typos" dramatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal
What do you like best?

We needed a system to have better visibility into our entire work flow and with Abacus Law, we can not only manage the case-by-case activity, but we can see our entire work load and manage that much better than with spreadsheets and calendar events, which is how we were doing it before. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is not a dislike, but we use the system a bit differently than a traditional law firm, we manage 1031 real estate exchanges, so we were pleasantly surprised to find out that Abacus Law had templates for our specific business type and that we can customize them further. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Vision - we had no visibility into our entire business, and with AbacusLaw, we can now see everything we need to know, documents, deadlines (very important in the 1031 business), reporting, customers, vendor partners. We have actual workflow ability, where before everything was manual. Also, our entire team has one place to look for everything, before it was folders and files or sending documents and versions back and forth via email, very cumbersome and not an efficient or effective way to run our business, so AbacusLaw has brought vision, efficiency and effectiveness to our business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

Abacus Private Cloud integrates with Outlook and has all of the features that we used before with our other system (ProLaw). We don't actually use all of the current features as we use Quickbooks have our accounting software (accountant is more familiar with that and it keeps in place an already existing system). You can access the data ANYWHERE. When COVID hit and we transitioned to work from home, there was no change to our office. You access all of your network files, billing system, docket system through the cloud. Very easy to use. All of your data is backed up to the cloud (through mirrored backups). No more time spent waiting for your IT person to fix an issue. No more worrying if your backup software is correctly working. No more issues worrying about viruses affecting your systems. If there is ever an issue you encounter (such as you can't figure out how to unbill a matter to make a client adjustment) you can contact customer service and support and have your problem fixed expeditiously. I think over the past 4 years or so of use we have had a total of 60 minutes of downtown (maybe). I can not say the same when we had a standalone Exchange server running ProLaw - so many issues arose and problems. While you pay to have the data in the cloud through a monthly service, when we added up the time we spent on IT and paying for the ProLaw updates, Abacus Private Cloud was a cheaper solution. Now that we have been using it for several years we like it as a better solution than ProLaw. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is not much to dislike. It satisfies all of the issues and concerns we had in moving systems. They made the transition easy for us several years ago. We are happy to have made the switch and aren't look back. It's been great to know that when other firms were trying to find a solution when COVID occurred, that there was literally no change for us. Most of the attorneys have the remote desktop link to connect to Abacus Private Cloud on their home computers so nothing was needed other than telephone transferring. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Compare your IT costs for running your own system versus switching to AbacusLaw Private Cloud. Consider backups, security, docketing and billing system, IT fees, etc. and you'll likely discover that you too should make the switch. When COVID hit and we transitioned to work from home, there was no change to our office. You access all of your network files, billing system, docket system through the cloud. It is very easy to use. All of your data is backed up to the cloud (through mirrored backups). No more time spent waiting for your IT person to fix an issue. No more worrying if your backup software is correctly working. No more issues worrying about viruses affecting your systems. If there is ever an issue you encounter (such as you can't figure out how to unbill a matter to make a client adjustment) you can contact customer service and support and have your problem fixed expeditiously. I think over the past 4 years or so of use we have had a total of 60 minutes of downtown (maybe). I can not say the same when we had a standalone Exchange server running ProLaw - so many issues arose and problems. Now that we have been using it for several years we like it as a better solution than ProLaw. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We originally made the switch because of the CryptoWall virus hit our server. One of our employees downloaded the virus which then affected the entire server. The backup software that we had failed and we ended up losing about 9 months worth of data. We were able to recapture some of that data by reviewing our exchange server for mail that was sent, but everything else was lost and we were down for almost a month as a new server was built, data restored, etc. That was a scary time and our vulnerabilities were shown. We made the switch and all of our concerns are addressed (backups to everything that are checked and redundant, secure environment, if we need to restore it takes a very short time to restore (we've never had to do that though in this environment), files/data/docket/calendar/billing all in one location, and so on). This allowed us to save money and time and reduce stress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

User friendly. Simple with easy to manage integrated functions. Everything is accessible in just a few clicks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Glitches in the system that close the program without saving crucial information Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We've learned to reduce paper waste by storing documents within the clients Abacus file for ease of use. Searching for conflicts is a breeze. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

There isn't much to like about this product. However, the calendar is easily readable and sortable by user. Conflict check function works well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Where would I begin? This product is extremely far behind its counterparts in the legal case management market. This product is not user friendly at all. Workflow set up is difficult. Tasks functions are complicated. Save your time and your wallet and look elsewhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look elsewhere. There are multiple options available that are easy to use and are more economical. This product looks like it was created in the late 90s and has had no significant update (to my knowledge) that has improved ease of use or functionality. Better options aplenty. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Nothing. It does not make the practice of law in my office any easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how it allows me to keep track of appointments and deadlines. It also does a good job of setting reminders and allowing me to keep track of my cases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was more user-friendly and the calendar could be synced with my phone. I also wish that changes could be made to multiple similar matters at the same time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure to attend the free trainings offered by Abacus. They are very helpful. I also understand that Abacus Law can manage forms, as well as integrate with Outlook and other programs. I recommend looking into these capabilities to ensure you use the program to its maximum benefit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping track of the deadlines in court scheduling orders is a piece of case. Also managing client contact info and case details. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager
What do you like best?

How easy the software is to use and efficient it is in keeping us on track Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The recurring monthly costs of the software Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This software will help organize your office into a more efficient and smooth running operation. Ease of use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping up with suspense for the paralegals, knowing exactly what has and has not been done in our cases and who is responsible, and keeping up with court dates Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ease of the program itself. Very versatile in entering what you want and the date calculator is a huge plus when one needs to adjust for other factors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to recover an entry or series of entries that may have been deleted Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ensuring that all dates are entered appropriately that allows anyone in the firm to know what everyone has coming up Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

The most helpful option is abacus is the ability to calendar reminders for Statute of Limitations dates! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The least helpful option is the inability to change forms with ease and the inability to change or update "names" once the intitial intake form is completed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Abacus for any high volume law firm. When used as designed, Abacus is a great tool to manage files in a centralized location. In addition, the ability to set reminders for important deadlines is EXTREMELY helpful! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping track of important deadlines. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to input information and search matters. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how I'm limited as to the billing settings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Good to keep track of billing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

I like that it offers the option of creating document templates from our sample letters that we frequently draft for our personal injury cases. It saves us time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can not confidently click on Abacus updates because it usually creates a technical problem requiring an IT. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Record keeping is more effective because of Abacus Law. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Paralegal
What do you like best?

Store all clients' information and retrieve them anywhere you want. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We need option to link all file at once instead of one by one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Price is not that expensive but included many features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.