Abacus

Abacus

Real-time employee expense management & reimbursement

Work for Abacus?

Learning about Abacus?

Abacus Reviews

Ask Abacus a Question
Brandon M.

"Gamechanger for expense reporting and payouts"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, intuitive and works well with large groups/teams as well as for one-off expenses. In the past it was horrible to have to scan receipts, send them in and then follow what was paid back and what was not.

Now, it is completely seamless. It is easy enough that I typically find myself submitting my expenses in real time. Snap a photo of the receipt, enter the amount, choose the "Why" and categorize. Takes about 45 seconds and I'm done. Then I am alerted when approved and when money is coming back to my bank.

Having had a corporate credit card in the past that still required expense reporting versus just using my own cards and linking to my bank - I would much prefer to just use Abacus.

What do you dislike?

Not a ton to dislike. The team is always innovating and improving, so really it's just about waiting for them to make it better. Would be nice to link it to my credit cards and then allow me to simply review charges and mark them as "business expense". Then I wouldn't even need the receipts.

Aside from that, maybe allowing saved expenses that I can control/customize. Such as buying supplies for an office event. If I could save all the settings for a custom even I would only need to tap "Holiday party" and it fills in all the sub-categories, that might be cool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Can't think of any downsides from a user aspect.

I work very cross-functionally and with teams all over the company. As such, I often am running around grabbing last minute supplies for recruiting events, office events, team outings, etc.

The major benefit is time of logging and reporting and ease of use.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Abacus
Showing 960 Abacus reviews
Diego G.
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Abacus
Michael S.

"Excellent, easy-to-use product"

What do you like best?

Abacus' interface is by far the best of any expense reporting tool I've used, both for users and for administrators. Another great feature is how seamless it is to code both reimbursable and corporate card expenses in the same interface, and have everything flow perfectly into our accounting system (Intacct).

I first implemented Abacus while CFO of a fast-growing startup to manage high-volumes of travel expenses and implement needed controls. When I moved to become CFO of a larger company that was using one of the most popular expense reporting software tools but was dealing with significant manual processes, mistakes, and a poor employee experience, I immediately put in Abacus, which completely relieved all the issues we had. Many employees have gone out of their way to thank me for providing them with an easy-to-use tool, which is truly something to be said for something as mundane as an expense reporting tool.

What do you dislike?

Abacus could be much better at handling international employee reimbursement, where ACH is not possible. Although I do not expect the system to automatically transfer funds to international accounts, the way the system handles currency conversion doesn't always work as expected, and there is not a good workflow to manage those manual payments. My account manager mentioned that Abacus is actively working on this, and I look forward to seeing the results.

Another missing feature that I hope will be added in the future is automatic GSA per diem calculations.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I often tell people that Abacus is my favorite piece of financial operations software. I wish more systems would be like this. If it meets your requirements, you can't do better than Abacus.

Prior to Abacus, my company was using multiple different systems for various purposes. My company would try to avoid using the most robust system we had because we had to pay by the expense report. With Abacus, I can load all my users into the system and they can submit expenses at any time, and I don't have to worry about extra charges. My ultimate goal was to get accurate data about my expenses and have them flow directly into my accounting system. The most important factor in making that a reality is making the system easy for my employees so that expense reports aren't a chore for them, and Abacus certainly accomplishes that.

What Expense Management solution do you use?

Amar S.

"Good experience using Abacus"

What do you like best?

It's easy and user-friendly. It helps me to submit my expenses. I would recommend Abacus to others. It's a great tool and keeps your expenses in order. I think Abacus is doing well. I would recommend it to other. I don't see any negative features in Abacus. I use the software everyday and it's great. It has helped me solve my receipt keeping and puts things in order. I think Abacus is doing well. I would recommend it to other. I don't see any negative features in Abacus. I use the software everyday and it's great. It has helped me solve my receipt keeping and puts things in order.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. I think Abacus is doing well. I would recommend it to other. I don't see any negative features in Abacus. I use the software everyday and it's great. It has helped me solve my receipt keeping and puts things in order.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend Abacus to others. It's very east and user-friendly. I think Abacus is doing well. I would recommend it to other. I don't see any negative features in Abacus. I use the software everyday and it's great. It has helped me solve my receipt keeping and puts things in order.

They do my expenses and receipt submissions. It's very easy to keep track of my receipts and submissions. It's very east to get reimbursed.

Justin E.

"review for Abacus"

What do you like best?

I like the ease in which I am able to file my expenses from work . There are times when I have to keep track of the budget, and the Abacus app lets me easily check on my past expenses even though they are already filed.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes the application glitches and shows that I have un-filed expenses when in reality I do not. There are a couple of other bugs that have been fixed, but I appreciate the responsiveness of Abacus so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take some time to learn everything about the app before diving straight into it. All it takes is 5 minutes

I am able to track my spending with Abacus and determine whether or not I am under or over budget. Some benefits that I have realized are the accessibility of having an app version available for phones.

Sarah F.

"Responsive Customer Service, Adequate Product"

What do you like best?

UX is straight-forward and flexible for our needs. The customer service reps are great - knowledgeable and responsive.

What do you dislike?

We have intermittent issues with AMEX such as duplicate and missing transactions. It seems to be AMEX's problem with all similar services, though; not an Abacus-specific problem. Abacus speaks with the data providers directly to resolve the issues - sometimes this takes weeks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Teh Salesforce integration was too expensive for us. It is not too difficult for us to manually input our campaigns, but if you have a ton, you may find this tedious and will need the integration.

It's much easier for the admin to follow up with our salespeople regarding specific transactions, or to hound them to submit receipts (we used a spreadsheet method previously). Also, with the ability to add accounts and campaigns from salesforce into Abacus directly, the inputs are normalized, and we don't have to search for a match.

From the salesperson's POV, they like Abacus way better than the spreadsheets; they can submit receipts throughout the month, instead of waiting to do all at once, getting in the way of other tasks.

Heidi E.

"Works like Magic and 5 start customer service to boot!"

What do you like best?

The QB sync is great! Love that we can use our corporate cards assigning different cards to different users. Makes my life so much easier!! Love the direct deposit for personal expenses

Best part is the quick and super helpful customer service.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could sub categorize my custom fields, especially the one that links to my classes.

I wish we could add different company QB files to same Abacus account

I also wish we could track hours with this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

DO IT!

We use it primarily for our maintenance team to track their expenses on the credit card and bill it to the appropriate entity. We used to use other software or excel sheets, but then we were doing double work with the employee entering info in one place and me entering info in another place.

Justin H.

"Seamless "

What do you like best?

abacus is so easy to expense on-the-go using their user-friendly app is game changer. I can easily expense items minutes, even seconds after receiving my receipt. i also love how quickly my expenses are approved and my bank account is reimbursed with 2-3 days. Love this product.

What do you dislike?

It's hard for me to say I dislike anything about Abacus.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

USE ABACUS if you want an easy and seamless experiences

I no longer submit my expenses late or without receipts because of the mobile app. I'm able to take a picture of the receipt instantaneously using the app and submit the expense within 2 minutes of the purchase. I no longer have folders of receipts piling up or my boss asking where my expense reports are.

Elen M.

"Abacus Review"

What do you like best?

The software have a user friendly interface and it is easy to use. You can easily track and manage all your expense without a lot of struggle. When it comes to the license cost, the software comes in a competitive price thus making it more affordable that its competitor.

What do you dislike?

When it comes to scanning of the receipt, the software hung when you have scanned many receipt. Abacus also have challenges when it comes to categorizing the receipt in large volume. The software works perfectly for small company but for the large company which have many expense you will have some challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Abacus is good but definitely not the best for large companies. The software is best when you have a small company and you need a cheap or lather affordable expense management software.

We used the software for expense management and tracking. We also used the software to track and book foreign travel. Abacus have been useful and have helped us achieve success in expense management.

Nina A.

"Abacus App Review"

What do you like best?

I love that I can use the app on my smartphone and easily log expenses. It is straightforward and easy to take a picture of a receipt to attach to an expense report. The app is very well synced with the web version of Abacus, which also makes it much easier to switch back and forth between phone and computer.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the app will act up and I will get notifications for expenses that I've already completed. There has been one case of a duplicate expense appearing, and one of my expenses complete disappeared.

It is great that my boss can send back a report with comments, so it streamlines the expensing process and aids in communication between various departments.

Kajol B.

"Great expense software! Makes receipt keeping easier. "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can see what exactly is happening with my expenses and when they are put back into my account in real-time, and who it needs to be approved by. It's really important because without, expenses could be lost in accounting.

What do you dislike?

It should be faster, the transfer back to bank can take up to 4 days when it could be faster, but not that big of a deal. Also, the categories drop list is not completely updated and doesn't include certain necessary options so sometimes that can get difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely useful especially for smaller companies with less finance personnel.

Expense watching and documentation. With old paper receipts, it's hard to keep track, especially in smaller companies.

maguil v.

" abacus is very useful"

What do you like best?

abacus es facil y flexible para las necesidades. Los representantes de servicio al cliente son muy buenos: con excelente informacion y receptivos. spend in Abacus is very easy due to the ability to drag images to the platform and a small amount of details that are required in relation to expenses, The mobile application is very fast and simple to scan receipts in the phones immediately (for example, in the mall, the airport) and is very simple to use.

What do you dislike?

Me gustaría poder elegir mis campos personalizados, especialmente el que se une con mis clases.

Ojalá pudiéramos intregar diferentes archivos QB de la empresa a una misma cuenta de Abacus

También me gustaría que se pueda rastrear las horas con el software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep in mind that this is a very new product that is going through changes regularly. The staff keeps users updated on interruptions and the like on their blog, which is very useful, and the support team responds quickly. It is easy to bother with the failure that presents, but in general, all the benefits outweigh the pain.

I no longer get my expenses late or without receipts thanks to the mobile application. I can take a photo of the receipt instantly using the application and send the expense within 3 minutes of a purchase. I no longer have the accumulated receipt folders or if my boss asks me where my expense reports are.

Kristina M.

"Makes Expense reporting Easy! "

What do you like best?

How easy receipt upload is. All of my frequently visited spots are saved and makes completing the report a total breeze! At past companies, it would take me at least an hour to complete an expense report after a weeklong trip, but with Abacus, I am able to do it in 10 minutes. Total time saver!

What do you dislike?

Nothing - literally. I rarely right reviews, but I had to come on to review because expenses are so easy to file and save.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Literally makes expense reporting a breeze! So straight forward and easy to use.

I just use abacus for expense reporting, I travel fairly frequently and it is such a time saver. So easy to use!

Angela E.

"I love Abacus!"

What do you like best?

I love the UI and how quick the support team responds to concerns.

What do you dislike?

It's a little frustrating to deal with strange glitches and bugs

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep in mind that this is a fairly new product that's going through changes regularly. The staff keeps users updated about outages and the like on their blog which is useful, and the support team responds quickly. It's easy to get frustrated with the occasional glitch, but overall, the benefits outweigh the pains.

It's great for easy processing of user expenses and the comprehensive filters are great for sorting things and finding exactly what I need. It helps us reimburse our employees quicker and its integration with Netsuite makes monitoring all of this so much easier.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is for me to log my mileage for reimbursement. I can just enter a starting point and destination and it will automatically calculate the mileage and reimbursement for that trip.

I love how Abacus has an app and the app is so user friendly.

I like how easy it if to split receipts between reimbursable and non-reimbursable expenses.

I also love how easily the reimbursement gets deposited in your account.

I also like how the app suggests expenses on your credit card for reimbursement and has the ability to group expenses from a specific trip.

I like how clear the reimbursement is on your credit card statement.

What do you dislike?

I don't understand if I can just chose credit card items for reimbursement or need the receipts. I wish it was a little clearer in that regard.

We have to use two softwares for expenses and reimbursements. We have to use a second software for regular purchases in the office and it would be more convenient if abacus could cover both of these.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Abacus makes it easy for employees to submit receipts and log driving miles. I would recommend it.

Abacus helps people easily and QUICKLY log their reimbursable expenses. It saves company time and employee headaches.

Ben H.

"Easy to use expense system. "

What do you like best?

Abacus UI is amazingly natural and simple to utilize. Contrasted with the Concur framework, expensing on Abacus is a breeze in light of the capacity to drag pictures into the stage, and the little measure of subtleties that are required identifying with one cost. What's far and away superior is that you can transfer costs straightforwardly from your telephone through the versatile application. This makes it much harder to neglect to present a cost since you can do as such when you get the receipt.

What do you dislike?

Abacus should demonstrate a total measure of costs exceptional quickly on the landing page. They ought to likewise demonstrate the measure of assets that have just been endorsed and are headed, just as the normal store date. The classes of costs seem, by all accounts, to be restricted - clients ought to probably propose their very own to heads here and there.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Math device is genuinely a fantastic item. Both as a site and as an application, the interfaces are instinctive, simple to explore and coherent. On the off chance that one knows about internet shopping and essential individual record-keeping, the Abacus stage will appear to be normal with a fast expectation to absorb information.

I would prescribe Abacus to any private venture. Having worked at an extensive organization before coming here, the cost report framework was grievous and individuals were reprobate is submitting shapes for repayment. Math device has makes costs simple to process, and gives no reasons to individuals not to present their reports.

The framework has effectively settled the issue of submitting costs. Since the stage is so consistent and simple to utilize, it has enhanced the bookkeeping technique that is utilized for costs. Moreover, in light of the fact that the majority of the costs must be classified it is anything but difficult to see where the most noteworthy uses are going on. This has additionally made repayments back to representatives significantly quicker also.

Finishing my very own cost reports proficiently, quickly and precisely.

Understanding the equivalent from my immediate reports.

Supporting my association in guaranteeing that cost detailing is done consistently and precisely.

Being repaid rapidly, particularly for expansive costs.

At long last, empowering me to have more noteworthy perceivability in the costs of my reports to guarantee that we hold fast to our financial plan and spend our assets shrewdly.

"I Hate Submitting Expenses"

What do you like best?

I hate submitting expenses, but Abacus recognizes that most people hate it, too, and has made entering them as easy as I've ever seen. Simple receipt capture and uploads (especially on mobile), remembering and suggesting entries based on my previous expenses, and simply not forcing me to try to stuff my expenses into categories that aren't intuitive are what I like best.

What do you dislike?

I'll always hate submitting expenses. Until Abacus does every little part of it for me, I'm not sure there is much that I dislike. It actually isn't all that far off from doing it all for me now.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My impression in speaking with users of other products is that this is really one of the top 2 platforms.

Using Abacus emphasizes the great benefits we have and the visibility and ease of accessing those benefits offsets a lot of other challenges employees face regularly in their jobs.

"All around, can't imagine a better expense system"

What do you like best?

Abacus is somehow both extremely easy to use, while still being very detailed. You can create a multitude of tags, categories, sub categories, you name it, and all are very easy to navigate through their interface. The system feels very sleek as well; for a finance/expense application, one doesn't expect to see something so aesthetically pleasing. Generally speaking, I have never had an issue using Abacus, I've never really needed to try out their tech support since it is so user-friendly, and I really cant complain about a single thing regarding this app.

What do you dislike?

Again, I really can't think of 1 thing I dislike. If there is ever any slowness, it tends to stem from our end as users, not from the software.

The ease of expensing purchases for business has gotten EXPONENTIALLY easier since our company started using Abacus, at least from the submitting side of things.

Amanda C.

"Abacus is a seamless and easy to use expense system"

What do you like best?

Abacus' user interface is extremely intuitive and easy to use. Compared to the Concur system, expensing on Abacus is a breeze because of the ability to drag images into the platform, and the small amount of details that are required relating to one expense. What's even better is that you can upload expenses directly from your phone through the mobile app. This makes it a lot harder to forget to submit an expense because you can do so as soon as you receive the receipt.

What do you dislike?

Abacus should show an aggregate amount of expenses outstanding immediately on the home page. They should also show the amount of funds that have already been approved and are on their way, as well as the expected deposit date. The categories of expenses appear to be limited - users should be able to suggest their own to administrators in some way.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They should definitely switch from Concur to Abacus because Abacus is much more easy to use and understand. It is also faster and has a simpler user interface. It is nearly impossible to not understand how to use this software.

The system has easily solved the issue of submitting expenses. Because the platform is so seamless and easy to use, it has improved the accounting method that is used for expenses. Additionally, because all of the expenses must be categorized it is easy to see where the highest expenditures are happening. This has also made reimbursements back to employees a lot faster as well.

"Abacus is so much better than combing through paper receipts!"

What do you like best?

I love the app! I just take a photo of my receipts and upload them on the spot before I lose them. I use the email forwarding feature all the time for receipts that come to my email. I like that you can add a description in the body of the email and it populates that text in Abacus once the expense imports.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of anything I dislike, honestly. I do think the linking of credit cards and the users can be a little confusing to navigate the way it appears to the end user. Other than that, I'm happy!

We don't have to save and store paper receipts! Managers can easily approve employee expenses, and there is a clear record of the approval. The reports are easy to use and can be saved for future use. The reports are helpful with budgeting.

"Quick, simple, and easy way to manage company expenses on the go."

What do you like best?

The mobile app is quick and easy to scan receipts on your phone right away (e.g., at the restaurant, airport) and is very simple and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

You have to screenshot or save as PDF any receipts that are sent as an e-mail--I wish there was a way to just forward the e-mail to Abacus and have it auto-populate the fields. Also, if I have a stack of receipts, there's no way to bulk process them; you have to take a picture/scan of each receipt individually.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, especially if you're a small- to medium-sized business that is looking for a low-cost solution that has all of the core features of expense management and requires little to no training for employees to start using.

Low-cost per user and no need to train employees on how to use the platform.

"Easy to use expense software"

What do you like best?

Makes it super easy to submit expenses like cell phone bill, food and travel expenses and team lunches. Sends me alerts when expenses are approved and when it’s time to submit more expenses it’s easy to upload receipts and stuff.

What do you dislike?

Actually I can’t think of much that I dislike, it’s pretty easy to use and engaging. I don’t know what I’d change about it. I haven’t tried the app, but I’m sure it is great as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommend! Easy to use, great for organizations streamlining their operations.

My organization started using Abacus to manage expenses and it’s been game changing in how long it takes employees to submit their expenses. Before this we were using a paper form that we had to manually fill out, staple receipts to and get our managers signature on. Hello 90s!

"Best expense software I have used"

What do you like best?

UI is adaptable and makes suggestions that are not mandatory so I can enter expenses that are not recognized

Uploading receipts is intuitive and accepts multiple formats

I can split business expenses with coworkers

I know the status of my expenses and get email updates that aren't redundant (if I have several expenses for approval I only get one email if all of them are approved at once)

What do you dislike?

Editing entries is odd and keeps a record of every single change

Editing entries has a delay in displaying immediately when I am making small changes to notes (why is this? A strange and frustrating design UX in an otherwise almost perfect UI)

Very easy to submit receipts after a business trip so I can easily submit before month end

I can split business expenses and list other employees

David C.

"Abacus has changed my life!"

What do you like best?

Easiest way to process expense charges! Rather than have a full wallet of receipts, along with digital ones that then need to be printed and validated, Abacus full integrates them seamlessly. Moreover, I can also review and approve the expenses from my direct reports. The time saving, efficiency and easy of use is truly outstanding. I would even say that Abacus is fun to use (transforming expense reporting from being my least favorite activity to something that I'm happy to do).

What do you dislike?

I would say waiting 25 years in the workforce to have an employer move to a digital expense report platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Abacus is truly an excellent product. Both as a website and as an app, the interfaces are intuitive, easy to navigate and logical. If one is familiar with online shopping and basic personal record-keeping, the Abacus platform will seem natural with a very quick learning curve.

Completing my own expense reports efficiently, speedily and accurately.

Realizing the same from my direct reports.

Supporting my organization in ensuring that expense reporting is done regularly and accurately.

Being reimbursed quickly, especially for large expenses.

Finally, enabling me to have greater visibility in the expenses of my reports to ensure that we adhere to our budget and spend our resources wisely.

Marc P.

"Great product for simplifying business expenses"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of entering expenses. The user interface is very easy to navigate, and very thoughtfully laid out. Also, the bank transfer, after approval, is very easy and streamlined. I like that Abacus sends me e-mails about the timing of the approval and bank transfer.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were a way to save a draft expense. Often times i start an expense report, and then find myself having to click out of the window, only to have to start from scratch. I am not sure if there is a way to setup template expense reports. As a contractor every two weeks, I submit a time card for wage approvals. It would be nice to have a template setup so all that I have to do is input the number of hours and the PDF of the time card for approval. This would save a lot of time and make for more consistent entries.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend Abacus to any small business. Having worked at a large company before coming here, the expense report system was disastrous and people were delinquent is submitting forms for reimbursement. Abacus has makes expenses easy to process, and provides no excuses for people not to submit their reports.

I am a contractor, and am able to enter my time card for approval very easily. As a contractor, I often work from home. Abacus makes it easy to remotly upload my time card and submit for approval.

Marsha L.

"Loving Abacus Everyday!"

What do you like best?

I love that everything is categorized.and self explanatory. The tools they have to assist you comes in very handy. When i need toll reimbursements from my employer, i just enter all my info and then i am paid within a few days of reporting it. The service Abacus provides is an excellent one.p Just awesome!

What do you dislike?

The only thing i could say that needs improvements is sometimes when u enter more than one expense in a day it states its a duplicate. There is no way to differentiate the two. Im sure tgats just a glitch. There is nothing i dislike about Abacus.

Abacus is providing a platform of tools to list expenses and once completed i am able to go back if needed to look up past expenses. Instead of looking for receipts all i have to do is go on my Abacus app and my expenses are right there at my fingertips. Business done simple!

Learn more about Abacus

Abacus Videos

Learning about Abacus?

* We monitor all Abacus reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.